THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3432, 3433, 3434 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Many legal experts saying this actually means they are "about to indict" and they just want to hand it off to a "neutral" party. I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm sure the GOP and the MAGA world will accept an indictment as legitimate if some John Smith guy decides it instead of Garland.

Most likely, this will result in more delays.

Ain't gonna be like the movie where a John Smith derails a criminal's rise to the presidency. Dead Zone. Garland's John Smith won't go to the lengths that Walken's did either.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:01 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Halflife wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
The said the same thing about Robert Mueller too.

Indeed they did . . .

Muller said there was enough to charge but because of the unwritten rule of not charging a president (IIRC) that's what stopped it at being just a report.

No president here.

That was just an excuse to not prosecute at the time, just like Garland has been doing. No one, including an acting president, is above the law.

When muller was asked if he could charge he said yes. He wasn’t the law. Barr was. Muller gave him ammo and we knew what would happen.
In reality there is no rush. For us we just want to see him burn but that doesn’t mean anything. If super slow makes a better case that’s good.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:19 pm    Post subject:

A reasonable person could make the case that Garkand wants to hand the official decision to an outside party to decide on charges both because he wants to charge but wants cover from it being a political decision, or because he doesn’t want to charge and doesn’t want to own that. I tend to see him as honest but careful and erring on the side of due process, so I don’t think he’s trying to not charge so much as he’s trying to legitimately not make that an official decision if the DOJ for reasons reasonable people and history would understand, not to convince trump’s fans who won’t care either way if there are charges.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:09 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
A reasonable person could make the case that Garkand wants to hand the official decision to an outside party to decide on charges both because he wants to charge but wants cover from it being a political decision, or because he doesn’t want to charge and doesn’t want to own that. I tend to see him as honest but careful and erring on the side of due process, so I don’t think he’s trying to not charge so much as he’s trying to legitimately not make that an official decision if the DOJ for reasons reasonable people and history would understand, not to convince trump’s fans who won’t care either way if there are charges.

If the DOJ and the person at the helm are not going to do their job for fear of how things appear on a partisan level, there’s no (bleep) point in having one. It always comes back to a bs excuse for Garland. Do the job or vacate the position for someone who will.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:31 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
No one, including an acting president, is above the law.

We'll see.
Would you bet your life on it? I wouldn't.
We'll find out soon. The next R President. Trump or not. They'll probably break more laws since Trump is getting away with it right now.

You obviously have missed all of my posts on the subject for the last few years. I’m under no illusions that Trump will ever be prosecuted and have been vocal that he won’t be and critical of people like Garland who skirted their obligation to uphold the law

You removed the above comment from its context where it was clearly in response to Mueller’s excuse for not proceeding with charges against Trump a few years ago. The comment was refuting the claim that there’s a “rule” against charging a sitting President of a crime. Not a statement that Trump will get charged.

I'm familiar with your posts on the topic. And I agree with them. And it sucks!

Trump opened Pandora's box. His illegality before, during, and after his Presidency. It has set a standard for what a Republican President can get away with moving forward.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:55 am    Post subject:

A fair point to remember is that Trump may not be the only former or current member of our government indicted.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:02 am    Post subject:

So we are finding out that Alito leaked the Hobby Lobby decision years ago. i guess all those on the right who called for the leaker of Dobbs to be removed from the court will now bury their head in the sand. Really interesting read in the NYTimes about the process used by the religious right to influence the court. Lots of detail. Senate judiciary committee should look into this.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:23 am    Post subject:

Religion can be a dark tool, and in too many instances, it is.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:25 am    Post subject:

MSNBC

(House Dem Whip Jim Clyburn Optimistic About The New Generation Of Party Leaders)

Quote:
The House Democratic Leadership will see major changes in the new year. The three top Democrats – Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, and Whip Jim Clyburn – are all stepping down from their posts. It paves the way for a new generation of Democratic leaders, which is expected to be Representatives Hakeem Jeffries, Katherine Clark, and Pete Aguilar. And even though Democrats narrowly lost control of the House, Rep. Jim Clyburn remains optimistic about the future of the Democratic Party and the country. “We have always had people who really feel that we should continue this track towards a more perfect union,” he says. “We are not perfect but we are the best there is on Earth.”
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:28 am    Post subject:

CNN

(Trump’s lawyers were dreading special counsel appointment, sources say)

Quote:
Former President Donald Trump’s legal team did not know beforehand that the Justice Department was going to announce a special counsel, but they have been bracing for the possibility, a source familiar with the matter tells CNN.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:43 am    Post subject:

David Pakman Show

(DREAM SCENARIO? Trump Loses Primary, Runs as Independent)

Quote:
-- Caller explores the possibility that Trump loses the Republican primary and then runs third party
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:52 am    Post subject:

I think a MAGA write in Trump’s name movement needs to start if he loses the primary.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:32 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
So we are finding out that Alito leaked the Hobby Lobby decision years ago. i guess all those on the right who called for the leaker of Dobbs to be removed from the court will now bury their head in the sand. Really interesting read in the NYTimes about the process used by the religious right to influence the court. Lots of detail. Senate judiciary committee should look into this.

Why did they wait to publish this after the election? Not that it would have made a huge difference, but this story likely dies before Monday.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:08 pm    Post subject:

The Majority Report w/ Sam Seder

(Alito Will Take Dobbs Secret To His Grave)

Quote:
Justice Samuel Alito is playing dumb on the identity of the Dobbs decision leaker while also playing the victim. Sam speculates that Alito knows who the leaker is but will never tell.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

Why did they wait to publish this after the election? Not that it would have made a huge difference, but this story likely dies before Monday.

Alito and Thomas should both be impeached. We know it will never happen, but had liberal justices done comparable shady, unethical actions then a GOP congress would be screaming for impeachments 24/7. Kavanaugh should be impeached too.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:26 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

Also published on a Saturday. If I were the reporters I’d be a little annoyed that this feels so downplayed. Curious when they had the story and what the decision was here. But to get this kind of story on the behind-the-scenes details involved is pretty amazing.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:10 pm    Post subject:

Welp, I know several of our clients will now be pulling ads from Twitter. Curious to see how this all unfolds.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:32 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Halflife wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
The said the same thing about Robert Mueller too.

Indeed they did . . .

Muller said there was enough to charge but because of the unwritten rule of not charging a president (IIRC) that's what stopped it at being just a report.

No president here.

That was just an excuse to not prosecute at the time, just like Garland has been doing. No one, including an acting president, is above the law.

When muller was asked if he could charge he said yes. He wasn’t the law. Barr was. Muller gave him ammo and we knew what would happen.

You're missing the point. Whether Mueller was the one directly in position to prosecute has nothing to do with what I am saying. The premise that Mueller stated, that there is an unwritten rule that you can't prosecute a sitting president is ridiculous and exemplifies the impotency that

Quote:
In reality there is no rush. For us we just want to see him burn but that doesn’t mean anything. If super slow makes a better case that’s good.

I couldn't disagree more. The longer prosecution is put off, the more Trump's actions get normalized and the harder it gets to prosecute and convict.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:38 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
A fair point to remember is that Trump may not be the only former or current member of our government indicted.

I don't think it will be a case of Trump and others being prosecuted. The only scenario is see is others being prosecuted instead of Trump as a token effort.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:56 am    Post subject:

Musk reopened Trump's twitter account.

That got my blood boiling early on a Sunday morning.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:05 am    Post subject:

CNN

(Hear what Trump said about possibly returning to Twitter)

Quote:
Former President Trump told the Republican Jewish Coalition that he doesn't see the need to return to Twitter and touted his own social media platform, despite having a much smaller audience.

Twitter is now for twits.

And Elmo Musky is the chief twit.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:17 am    Post subject:

CNN

(Author says Elon Musk’s antics are ‘jazz hands from a billionaire’)

Quote:
Author and writer Kara Swisher reacts to billionaire Elon Musk’s latest changes to Twitter.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:45 am    Post subject:

Trump’s Critics Openly Cast Him as ‘a Loser‘
November 19, 2022 at 10:49 am EST By Taegan Goddard 45 Comments

LINK

I don't think Trump will be the 2024 nominee and if he's not he'll burn the house down.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:09 am    Post subject:

"You think he's more popular since the '20 election with the swing voter, or less? ... I'm a Never Again Trumper. Why? Because I want to win." - Paul Ryan

Not because he's an authoritarian monster who led an insurrection and was twice appeached and has committed countless crimes while being president and after his presidency. It's because he doesn't think Trump can win again.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:45 am    Post subject:

Republicans stand for nothing except power. They are completely transactional. Every decision is about more power and more money. Period. Even issues like abortion, gay marriage and education come down to power. They want it all and anyone or anything that gets in their way they must obliterated. Women having power? Gays having power? Young people being educated and voting for Democrats? All must be stopped. The culture wars all boil down to straight white male supremacist power. Whether you call it Dominionism, Christo-fascism, "conservatism" -- it's all the same thing. Trump got them 3 Supreme Court seats and reversal of Roe. Now that he's an impediment to their acquisition of further power, he can be jettisoned.

But the cult base has already been brainwashed and groomed to believe Trump is the second-coming and only he can achieve the permanent owning of the libs.

Both groups should be shunned. Fortunately there are more of us even with gerrymandering, voter suppression and cheating. If Gen Z continues to grow and participate -- that's the way out of this fascist nightmare that would be imposed on us all.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3432, 3433, 3434 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 3433 of 3663
Jump to: