View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:34 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
horrible call, US defender touched the ball the first before tackled Bale.

Huh? That was one of the most obvious penalties you will ever see. Just a truly disastrous foul from Zimmerman. It wasn't even a scoring opportunity, as Bale was just trying to get a touch as he was going away from goal. He got all Bale and went through him. Just a disastrous play from Zimmerman and it cost us big time. Wales controlled the play and the chances in the 2nd half, but without that penalty, we still may have been able to hold the lead.

Now it might come down to which of the USA or Wales beats Iran the most and which loses to England the least. I think we can play with England and maybe even get a result, but who knows. At least the Iran game is last, so we'll know if we need to pile up the goals in advance.

Now nothing will surprise me in the group....other than England beating all three teams. It would not shock me in the least if Iran beats both Wales and USA (I actually thought Iran was going to finish second in this group prior to these results based on quality and form) or gets embarrassed with 3 straight losses.

It would not surprise me if the US fails to beat Iran. The US deserves no benefit of the doubt. We got really outclassed in that 2nd half, and it didn't seem like Berhalter had any answers or adjustments. Jordan Morris? He shouldn't even be on the roster, but, yeah, bad.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:36 pm    Post subject:

USA controlled the game in the first half, feels like the second half was a letdown and could've been a disaster late in penalty. They better show up vs England or this could end up with them being left out of the knock out stage.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:27 pm    Post subject:

Very disappointed they could not hold on to win that game. Clearly the better team, especially in the first half but this sport doesn't always reward the better team.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:13 pm    Post subject:

This USMNT is mentally soft and gets rattled quite easily....just as soft as they were 4 years ago when they failed to qualify. I expected Iran to qualify for round of 16 but tbh I have to change my pick to Wales in terms of most likely to advance and I actually expect Iran to beat USA in a repeat of 1998. This second game Wales vs Iran I believe will settle who goes in as second seed if there is a winner and I believe Wales is the current slight favorite. Most likely I expect a demoralized USMNT after a draw and loss to underperform and lose the third match vs Iran.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:31 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
This USMNT is mentally soft and gets rattled quite easily....just as soft as they were 4 years ago when they failed to qualify. I expected Iran to qualify for round of 16 but tbh I have to change my pick to Wales in terms of most likely to advance and I actually expect Iran to beat USA in a repeat of 1998. This second game Wales vs Iran I believe will settle who goes in as second seed if there is a winner and I believe Wales is the current slight favorite. Most likely I expect a demoralized USMNT after a draw and loss to underperform and lose the third match vs Iran.

We have done well against England in two fairly recent WC meetings, though. I think we'll be able to turn the page on Friday. Of course, we may still lose, but I don't think they'll be demoralized. One thing I'm worried about for the USA is a scenario where Wales beats Iran and England beats us on Friday. At that point, a draw between England and Wales in the final group stage match guarantees that England tops the group and that Wales advances, so the USA could win by 10 goals against Iran and it wouldn't matter. Also, if Iran were already eliminated, their entire motivation would be to deny the USA a place in the final 16. We need to get a result against England to guarantee that we still control our own destiny against Iran.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:57 am    Post subject:

Very interesting first half for Argentina against Saudi Arabia. After a VAR check early, Argentina was awarded a penalty after they had a player held up a bit in the box, and Messi easily converted from the spot to give them the lead. I thought the decision was harsh, personally. Then Argentina were in on goal 1 v. 1 on the goalkeeper 3 times for possible goals (all of which they slid into the net), but all 3 times they were offside. On 2 of those, the flag initially stayed down but then came up as the Argentina player was clearly off. But on the second of those 3 occasions, the flag stayed down and Argentina thought it had a 2-0 lead. However, VAR pulled the goal back after the check showed that their player was offside by an arm, the guy's arm was dangling ahead of his body and ahead of the last Saudi defender. So it's 1-0 at the half, but it could've been so much more had they timed those runs just a little bit better.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:12 am    Post subject:

And oh my, the Saudis have tied it up just over 2 minutes into the 2nd half!
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:18 am    Post subject:

Oh my goodness it's 2-1 to the Saudis just 8 minutes into the 2nd half! A brilliant strike from the edge of the box with his momentum going backwards, to the far corner!
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:29 am    Post subject:

Saudi Arabia has not changed in terms of their quality over the years and they are the typical world cup fodder that embarrasses themselves at the world cup - losing to Russia 5-0 in the last world cup and 8-0 vs one of the weakest German world cup squads ever assembled in 2002 that had 2 world class players in GK Oliver Kahn and MF Michael Ballack and were outplayed by the US in the Quarterfinals and now they decide to lead a strong Argentina squad????
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:32 am    Post subject:

This would be the biggest shock result since Brazil Germany in 2014....I love unexpected world cups like world cup 2002 and 2010
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:07 am    Post subject:

Saudi Arabia beating Argentina

...in the NBA the last time I saw anything of this sort of upset occurred is 1994 when the inexperienced/young Nuggets as the #8 seed below 0.500 team (Mutombo, L. Ellis, Pack, Dele, Abdul-Rauf) went down easily 2-0 in blowouts to the team with the best record in the NBA 63-win Seattle that had youth and a deep playoff experience the year before (Payton, Kemp, Schrempf, Perkins, Gill and McMillan) and actually won the last 3 games to knock them out of the playoffs. Literally changed the playoffs that year as Seattle is the one team that had Houston's number that year and their press defense gave Houston all sorts of trouble
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:12 am    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:

...in the NBA the last time I saw anything of this sort of upset occurred is 1994 when the inexperienced/young Nuggets as the #8 seed below 0.500 team (Mutombo, L. Ellis, Pack, Dele, Abdul-Rauf) went down easily 2-0 in blowouts to the team with the best record in the NBA 63-win Seattle that had youth and a deep playoff experience the year before (Payton, Kemp, Schrempf, Perkins, Gill and McMillan) and actually won the last 3 games to knock them out of the playoffs. Literally changed the playoffs that year as Seattle is the one team that had Houston's number that year and their press defense gave Houston all sorts of trouble

What an absolute stunner. While it so easily could've been a 2 or 3-goal lead for the Argentines at halftime, you have to really give the Saudis credit. The 2 goals were brilliant strikes, and I thought they displayed some real skill in some short-area passes where they kept the ball away from Argentina. Didn't they hold the U.S. to a 0-0 draw in a friendly just before this tournament, also? In retrospect, that may not have been an awful result for the USA.

Wow. Just wow. Has to be one of the biggest upsets in World Cup history, at least in the group stage. And they lost their captain near the end of the first half due to injury. He is celebrating on the field with his teammates and using crutches and his right leg is heavily braced, so he's gotta be out for the rest of the tournament.

Wow.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:18 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

What an absolute stunner. While it so easily could've been a 2 or 3-goal lead for the Argentines at halftime, you have to really give the Saudis credit. The 2 goals were brilliant strikes, and I thought they displayed some real skill in some short-area passes where they kept the ball away from Argentina. Didn't they hold the U.S. to a 0-0 draw in a friendly just before this tournament, also? In retrospect, that may not have been an awful result for the USA.

Wow. Just wow. Has to be one of the biggest upsets in World Cup history, at least in the group stage. And they lost their captain near the end of the first half due to injury. He is celebrating on the field with his teammates and using crutches and his right leg is heavily braced, so he's gotta be out for the rest of the tournament.

Wow.

Seriously Saudi Arabia just redeemed themselves from years of World Cup embarrassments. I think the brackets for those world cup predictions just about broke for everyone in the globe outside those within Saudi Arabia who were praying for a miracle. I dont think even Korea beating defending champions Germany 2-0 in the last world cup was as big in terms of odds as this. Honestly I have to go back to Senegal-France 2002 to think of a bigger upset.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:24 am    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

Wow.

Seriously Saudi Arabia just redeemed themselves from years of World Cup embarrassments. I think the brackets for those world cup predictions just about broke for everyone in the globe outside those within Saudi Arabia who were praying for a miracle.

Now they will really need a win against Mexico on Saturday. What a scene that could be if Mexico can keep that game at least tied into the 2nd half. The pressure will just ratchet up on Argentina.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:26 am    Post subject:

Just saw another replay of the first Saudi Arabia goal, and immediately preceding the run upfield for the Saudis, Messi lost the ball in midfield rather lazily. I thought it was poor defending after that (the coach subbed that defender off after the second goal), but still, yeah, Messi just lost that ball and it led right to the attack on the first goal.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:33 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Just saw another replay of the first Saudi Arabia goal, and immediately preceding the run upfield for the Saudis, Messi lost the ball in midfield rather lazily. I thought it was poor defending after that (the coach subbed that defender off after the second goal), but still, yeah, Messi just lost that ball and it led right to the attack on the first goal.

You know those supremely talented players that in your gut you just know that there is something about them that they just wont win in the biggest moments/games? Clayton Kershaw/Barry Bonds/young Lebron/Karl Malone/Peyton Manning meet Leo Messi.

Ronaldo is different....i just dont think he had the team but I never got a sense ever when I thought he would shrink from the moment....on the contrary he steps up but his team is never good enough. He joined at the very end of the golden generation of Portugal (Figo, Couto, Rui Costa, Nuno Gomes, Pauleta, Baia) and was a one man show for a while....until this WC where he is starting to lose his greatness right when Portugal finally has the talent around him
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:10 am    Post subject:

Saudi Arabia beating Argentina in the World Cup in 2022 would be like if the Dream Team showed up in the 1992 Olympics and got beaten by Angola. A lot of the soccer experts picked Argentina to win the tournament and now thats thrown a bit of uncertainty into the equation.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:31 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Saudi Arabia beating Argentina in the World Cup in 2022 would be like if the Dream Team showed up in the 1992 Olympics and got beaten by Angola. A lot of the soccer experts picked Argentina to win the tournament and now thats thrown a bit of uncertainty into the equation.

I won't go that far. Argentina is "one of the favorites", the 92 Dream Team was not expected to lose a single game. More like China beating Spain.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:10 am    Post subject:

Another upset brewing? Aussie strikes first. 1-0.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:29 am    Post subject:

Order is restored as France evens it up.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:34 am    Post subject:

And France makes Australia pay for their mistake. Up 2-1.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:35 pm    Post subject:

The 2018 champs dominating. Mbappe with a header and Giroud with his 2nd goal. France up 4-1.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:38 am    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

You know those supremely talented players that in your gut you just know that there is something about them that they just wont win in the biggest moments/games? Clayton Kershaw/Barry Bonds/young Lebron/Karl Malone/Peyton Manning meet Leo Messi.

Ronaldo is different....i just dont think he had the team but I never got a sense ever when I thought he would shrink from the moment....on the contrary he steps up but his team is never good enough. He joined at the very end of the golden generation of Portugal (Figo, Couto, Rui Costa, Nuno Gomes, Pauleta, Baia) and was a one man show for a while....until this WC where he is starting to lose his greatness right when Portugal finally has the talent around him

This isn’t an accurate description of Messi at all. You don’t win as much as he has by not being a big game player.

Anyone would know that players who dribble a lot will ultimately give the ball away a lot, doesn’t mean that it leads to goals against them.

Saudi Arabia goals are because of poor defence, plain and simple.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:47 am    Post subject:

Japan 2 - Germany 1 , 5 minutes to go
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:49 am    Post subject:

Incredible goal btw, impossible angle!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 2 of 18
Jump to: