Elon Musk bought Twitter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 50912
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:44 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

It's been said, "If we divided all the money in the world equally, in a short time the rich would be rich again, and the poor would be poor."


Yeah, maybe by a rich person to justify not sharing the wealth, because that is bullstuff.


I don't know who said it. It may be a stretch but it makes sense. You can take the money but you can't take the wherewithal.


Wherewithal? The idea of super wealthy getting there through hard work and pulling up their bootstraps is a myth. By far and away, they got their wealth through privilege and opportunity. The saying doesn't make sense. It's not like if all the money were distributed equally amongst the world's populace, the same 1%ers would just earn all their wealth back.


I'm not questioning how they got their wealth and I didn't say super wealthy. That's a different animal. I posted a hypothesis.

Not having any empirical proof I say the hypo is a stretch but it makes sense to me. You're adamant in your opinion. Do you have proof or is that an opinion?


I couldn't have been more clear about why the statement doesn't hold water. So I ask you, how does it make sense?

If the world's wealth was evenly distributed amongst everyone on the planet, how will the rich just become rich again while the poor just go beck to being poor? The clear implication is that those who are poor are destined to be poor because that's their natural inclination and unable to be otherwise, while the wealthy have a superior ability to amass wealth instead of the reality where wealth comes from privilege, opportunity and elitism. The concept you claim makes sense is classist nonsense and is offensive to the underprivileged.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 61435
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:34 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

It's been said, "If we divided all the money in the world equally, in a short time the rich would be rich again, and the poor would be poor."


Yeah, maybe by a rich person to justify not sharing the wealth, because that is bullstuff.


I don't know who said it. It may be a stretch but it makes sense. You can take the money but you can't take the wherewithal.


Wherewithal? The idea of super wealthy getting there through hard work and pulling up their bootstraps is a myth. By far and away, they got their wealth through privilege and opportunity. The saying doesn't make sense. It's not like if all the money were distributed equally amongst the world's populace, the same 1%ers would just earn all their wealth back.


I'm not questioning how they got their wealth and I didn't say super wealthy. That's a different animal. I posted a hypothesis.

Not having any empirical proof I say the hypo is a stretch but it makes sense to me. You're adamant in your opinion. Do you have proof or is that an opinion?


I couldn't have been more clear about why the statement doesn't hold water. So I ask you, how does it make sense?

If the world's wealth was evenly distributed amongst everyone on the planet, how will the rich just become rich again while the poor just go beck to being poor? The clear implication is that those who are poor are destined to be poor because that's their natural inclination and unable to be otherwise, while the wealthy have a superior ability to amass wealth instead of the reality where wealth comes from privilege, opportunity and elitism. The concept you claim makes sense is classist nonsense and is offensive to the underprivileged.


Wealthy people use given resources to enhance and build their wealth. They seem to have the wherewithal/drive. IMO poor people don't have that drive. I'm not all-encompassing. I'll narrow it down to a majority.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 89957
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:30 pm    Post subject:

Actually, if you divided all wealth equally and let nature take its course, yes, a few people would own almost everything again shortly. The key here is the role of government to both stem that tide and to redress it when it happens. That’s called regulation and taxation, which just happen to be the two things the wealthy fight hardest against.
_________________
“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 30 Apr 2001
Posts: 7168

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:54 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

It's been said, "If we divided all the money in the world equally, in a short time the rich would be rich again, and the poor would be poor."


Yeah, maybe by a rich person to justify not sharing the wealth, because that is bullstuff.


I don't know who said it. It may be a stretch but it makes sense. You can take the money but you can't take the wherewithal.


Wherewithal? The idea of super wealthy getting there through hard work and pulling up their bootstraps is a myth. By far and away, they got their wealth through privilege and opportunity. The saying doesn't make sense. It's not like if all the money were distributed equally amongst the world's populace, the same 1%ers would just earn all their wealth back.


I'm not questioning how they got their wealth and I didn't say super wealthy. That's a different animal. I posted a hypothesis.

Not having any empirical proof I say the hypo is a stretch but it makes sense to me. You're adamant in your opinion. Do you have proof or is that an opinion?


I couldn't have been more clear about why the statement doesn't hold water. So I ask you, how does it make sense?

If the world's wealth was evenly distributed amongst everyone on the planet, how will the rich just become rich again while the poor just go beck to being poor? The clear implication is that those who are poor are destined to be poor because that's their natural inclination and unable to be otherwise, while the wealthy have a superior ability to amass wealth instead of the reality where wealth comes from privilege, opportunity and elitism. The concept you claim makes sense is classist nonsense and is offensive to the underprivileged.


If you distribute all the wealth equally right now, not all rich people will remain rich and not all poor people will go back to being poor. Factors like education and upbringing and character will always play a role. We all know stories of ex-athletes getting rich and blowing everything away. Or like that guy who was a homeless immigrant in Paris and now owns a chain of restaurants.
_________________
“Properly read, the bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived.”
― Isaac Asimov
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor


Joined: 29 Dec 2002
Posts: 13066

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:08 pm    Post subject:

He's reinstating Trump. Just announced.
_________________
¡Hala Madrid!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChefLinda
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Posts: 23331
Location: Boston

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:09 am    Post subject:

Bloomberg: Trump Says He’ll Stick to Own Platform; Cites Twitter "Problems"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 61435
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:39 am    Post subject:

Trump’s Critics Openly Cast Him as ‘a Loser‘
November 19, 2022 at 10:49 am EST By Taegan Goddard 45 Comments

LINK

I don't think Trump will be the 2024 nominee and if he's not he'll burn the house down.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChefLinda
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Posts: 23331
Location: Boston

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:27 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Trump’s Critics Openly Cast Him as ‘a Loser‘
November 19, 2022 at 10:49 am EST By Taegan Goddard 45 Comments

LINK

I don't think Trump will be the 2024 nominee and if he's not he'll burn the house down.


I know there is crossover Trump talk in this thread related to Twitter, but I think the main Trump discussion belongs in the politics thread. Thanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 36759

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:29 am    Post subject:

The traffic must be going way down if he needs 45 back on the platform.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 61435
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:50 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Trump’s Critics Openly Cast Him as ‘a Loser‘
November 19, 2022 at 10:49 am EST By Taegan Goddard 45 Comments

LINK

I don't think Trump will be the 2024 nominee and if he's not he'll burn the house down.


I know there is crossover Trump talk in this thread related to Twitter, but I think the main Trump discussion belongs in the politics thread. Thanks.


My bad CL. That's where I meant to post it. I claim a senior citizen mulligan.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChefLinda
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Posts: 23331
Location: Boston

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:53 am    Post subject:

No problem.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor


Joined: 29 Dec 2002
Posts: 13066

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:06 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Bloomberg: Trump Says He’ll Stick to Own Platform; Cites Twitter "Problems"


He must have thought Trump would be running toward Twitter right away. This is actually savvy from Trump's perspective as he can't allow the perception that Elon is controlling events and that he's somehow grateful to Musk.
_________________
¡Hala Madrid!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChefLinda
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Posts: 23331
Location: Boston

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:29 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Bloomberg: Trump Says He’ll Stick to Own Platform; Cites Twitter "Problems"


He must have thought Trump would be running toward Twitter right away. This is actually savvy from Trump's perspective as he can't allow the perception that Elon is controlling events and that he's somehow grateful to Musk.


Observing two egotistical, narcissistic trolls on the same platform vying for attention would be worthy of popcorn if it weren't so dangerous. I predicted this earlier as it would be an admission by Trump that his own social media platform is less worthy. But of course he will post on Twitter again when he thinks it's to *his* advantage.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 03 Oct 2003
Posts: 7243
Location: Santa Monica

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:21 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Actually, if you divided all wealth equally and let nature take its course, yes, a few people would own almost everything again shortly. The key here is the role of government to both stem that tide and to redress it when it happens. That’s called regulation and taxation, which just happen to be the two things the wealthy fight hardest against.

This. But the poor wouldn't necessarily be poor again. If we had the regulation and taxation you mentioned, plus ample resources and opportunity for all regardless of background, the "poor" would be better off and at least be able to have some dignity.

What we need to do as a society is raise the floor. The way it is, "average" really just means poor. There are many households that make $100,000 a year that live paycheck to paycheck, which simply means they're poor at a higher level.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 61435
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:33 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Actually, if you divided all wealth equally and let nature take its course, yes, a few people would own almost everything again shortly. The key here is the role of government to both stem that tide and to redress it when it happens. That’s called regulation and taxation, which just happen to be the two things the wealthy fight hardest against.

This. But the poor wouldn't necessarily be poor again. If we had the regulation and taxation you mentioned, plus ample resources and opportunity for all regardless of background, the "poor" would be better off and at least be able to have some dignity.

What we need to do as a society is raise the floor. The way it is, "average" really just means poor. There are many households that make $100,000 a year that live paycheck to paycheck, which simply means they're poor at a higher level.


Just give me my --- damn 40 acres and my --- damn mule.😡 🤬
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 36759

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:43 pm    Post subject:

Elon fires those twitter employees that signed up for hardcore twitter.
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/elon-musk-fired-dozens-more-172906651.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB