NEW GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 703, 704, 705 ... 2544, 2545, 2546  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:22 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

A healthy Lonzo would have made the Bulls much better then what they are right now, he’s a Impact player when he’s on the floor unfortunately he gets injured and probably won’t ever be the player people expected him to be.

Lonzo is in his fifth year in the league. He is a journeyman player who is probably in the bottom third of NBA starting point guards. He is just about to enter the traditional peak period for an NBA guard.

We're well past the time of talking about his "potential" or evaluating him based on guesses of what he could have been like in different circumstances. We're past the point where anyone buys attempts to spin his accomplishments or spin his lack of accomplishments.

He is what he is.

He’s played for only 3 teams in his career and his Pelicans stunt was short, he would have been a better player if the injuries didn’t happen.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:33 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
OT but...

Tatum right now is looking like a top 5 NBA player.

30 ppg 7.6 rebs, 4.6 assists at 24 years old.

Just for fun.

Kobe at 24

30 ppg 7 rebs, 6 assists per game.

Lonzo over Tatum. Ouch.

Tatum is a great player don’t get me wrong but it’s unfair to criticize Lonzo as if he has played enough games to prove that he’s also a superstar talent, his injury issues will likely make him never reach his potential, the Celtics got the lucky bounce, maybe someday the same will happen to us.

Yeah, that’s the point. Magic screwed the team royally.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:52 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

A healthy Lonzo would have made the Bulls much better then what they are right now, he’s a Impact player when he’s on the floor unfortunately he gets injured and probably won’t ever be the player people expected him to be.

Lonzo is in his fifth year in the league. He is a journeyman player who is probably in the bottom third of NBA starting point guards. He is just about to enter the traditional peak period for an NBA guard.

We're well past the time of talking about his "potential" or evaluating him based on guesses of what he could have been like in different circumstances. We're past the point where anyone buys attempts to spin his accomplishments or spin his lack of accomplishments.

He is what he is.

He’s played for only 3 teams in his career and his Pelicans stunt was short, he would have been a better player if the injuries didn’t happen.

I don't care about woulda-coulda-shouldas.

He is what he is.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:55 am    Post subject:

It's not only Tatum, many players in lonzo's draft have surpassed him over time.

Players clearly better than him overall at this point:

Fox
Mitchell
Tatum
Adebayo
Allen

Then you have Markkanen this year, who might be MIP and would clearly surpass him if he keeps it up. Throw in players who have had solid careers like Kennard, Anunoby and Collins, and it starts to look bad.

Heck even Kuzma might have surpassed him this year. Someone like Derrick White is also giving similar production to lonzo without the injury baggage.

Injuries are part of the game and its fair to judge Lonzo as a result. Even without injuries, he hasn't been that impactful outside his short stint last year.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:27 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Luka Doncic is one of the biggest stars in the NBA. At the same time, he's the franchise player of the Dallas Mavericks organization. While the Mavs made it to the Western Conference Finals last year, it's often said that Luka doesn't get enough help to really succeed.

With Doncic's immense talent, some fans worry about him possibly leaving the team in search of a more suitable place for a championship run. However, the Slovenian superstar assures that it's not going to happen, at least not in the upcoming years.

"I don't think they [should] worry about it. I have five years left here so I don't think they should be worried about it," the player told WFAA's Joe Trahan in an interview.

https://basketnews.com/news-181360-luka-doncic-stays-devoted-to-mavericks-i-want-to-win-a-championship-here.html
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:39 am    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
It's not only Tatum, many players in lonzo's draft have surpassed him over time.

Fox
Mitchell
Tatum
Adebayo
Allen

Then you have Markkanen this year, who might be MIP and would clearly surpass him if he keeps it up. Throw in players who have had solid careers like Kennard, Anunoby and Collins, and it starts to look bad.

Heck even Kuzma might have surpassed him this year. Someone like Derrick White is also giving similar production to lonzo without the injury baggage.

Injuries are part of the game and its fair to judge Lonzo as a result. Even without injuries, he hasn't been that impactful outside his short stint last year.

Chicago's falling apart without Zo. Anyone who watched him on the Bulls knows how much he unlocked the offense (and defense). With DeRozan and Lavine running the show, you get diminishing returns and less volatility. Ideally, you want a Jason Kidd type next to Lavine, DeRozan and Vucevic. The funny thing is Chicago still struggles if they add a 30 point scorer like Mitchell or Tatum. They are in desperate need of a lead guard. Caruso's numbers are also very bad. Zo's never had the chance to prove himself. His laundry list of injuries year after year means there will always be what ifs about how good he could have been.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:34 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
OT but...

Just for fun.

Kobe at 24

Lonzo over Tatum. Ouch.

Tatum is a great player don’t get me wrong but it’s unfair to criticize Lonzo as if he has played enough games to prove that he’s also a superstar talent, his injury issues will likely make him never reach his potential, the Celtics got the lucky bounce, maybe someday the same will happen to us.

The person I'd like to meet is the one who was adamant that we draft Tatum back then, if they exist. I'd rely on their judgment a great deal more than the executive you mentioned above.

As a player I'd happily say his name, but as an executive, I want to vomit. Not only did he F' up on the draft, but he was also the "executive" that traded Zubac to the other team in LA!

I read the details of that trade again just to be clear. It was reported at that time that Jerry West and and some of their people were laughing at that trade at dinner that night, and, of course, by extension laughing at this ex-player masquerading as an NBA front office executive.

By the way, Zubac is at the top, or near it, as far as total rebounds....damn!!!!!!!!!!!!
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:32 am    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
OT but...

Just for fun.

Kobe at 24

Lonzo over Tatum. Ouch.

The person I'd like to meet is the one who was adamant that we draft Tatum back then, if they exist. I'd rely on their judgment a great deal more than the executive you mentioned above.

As a player I'd happily say his name, but as an executive, I want to vomit. Not only did he F' up on the draft, but he was also the "executive" that traded Zubac to the other team in LA!

I read the details of that trade again just to be clear. It was reported at that time that Jerry West and and some of their people were laughing at that trade at dinner that night, and, of course, by extension laughing at this ex-player masquerading as an NBA front office executive.

By the way, Zubac is at the top, or near it, as far as total rebounds....damn!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zubac and Lopez are in the DPOY conversation at the very least: https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/los-angeles-lakers-brook-lopez-ivica-zubac-rob-pelinka

Should have kept at least one.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:34 am    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:

There must have been someone, somewhere, but I don’t know who it would have been. Here’s what our draft watchers thought back then:

https://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=181871

There was one guy in the media mock ups:

https://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=181838
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:52 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:

There must have been someone, somewhere, but I don’t know who it would have been. Here’s what our draft watchers thought back then:

Those old posts just highlight for me how even the most knowledgeable posters shouldn't be so arrogant about their opinions.

For all their research and expertise... they are still just guessing most of the time.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:44 am    Post subject:

And here I thought, whether it was Tatum or Zo, they would have been outta here in a snap with the thADos adios special. I doubt they would have survived any scenario where they had to go thru the AD gonetlet no matter what multiverse they were in….had to get the Kang his conquering partner, right?

The only way Tatum or Zo survive is if we had a good negotiating FO that actually values their assets instead of needlessly throwing em into trades. But when you Kuz, you luze.

Speaking of ex-Lakers…

Quote:
DeMarcus Cousins is moving and will join his fellow compatriot Dwight Howard in the T1-League. Earlier in the season, we saw Howard, who was denied a contract extension by the Lakers, move forward to free agency only to be rejected again as no team was willing to match his contract expectations. In the end, the former NBA champion decided to join the Taoyuan Leopards in T1 League.

It was reported that another NBA star, 32-year-old DeMarcus Cousins, also known as “Boogie,” will be joining Dwight Howard in Taiwan’s T1 League very soon. Media outlets on Wednesday (Nov. 23) reported that DeMarcus Cousins is preparing to move to Taiwan, based on a tip from a sports reporter at UDN, Lee Yi-Shen (李亦伸), and several anonymous T1 players.

There has still been no public confirmation from the T1 League or Cousins about his signing, and it is still unknown which team Cousins will join. However, a TVBS report suggests that it will be a team based in southern Taiwan, which would be either the Tainan TSG Ghosthawks, or the Kaohsiung Aquas. The Basketball Network published a report quoting Cousins as saying “Hi Dwight, I’m coming!” It noted that Cousins became a free agent earlier this year after the Denver Nuggets did not renew his contract. – via Duncan DeAeth, Taiwan News @ Taiwan News

andree
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:23 am    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
OT but...

Just for fun.

Kobe at 24

Lonzo over Tatum. Ouch.

I can answer at your question! Those persons didn't exist. Neither here on the forum nor official.
The official consensus was Fultz nr.1, Lonzo nr.2, Jackson and Tatum nr. 3&4. Fultz was regarded as the second coming of Kyrie Irving. Lonzo the passing maestro. Though by Lonzo were a few questions about his shooting technique and his ability to play P&R, which is the bread and butter in the NBA.

I remmeber that I asked here to whom you compare Tatum and Markkanen. Tatum was viewed as similar to Camelo or Tobias Harris (manny points but overall ineffective player) and Markkanen was supposely another Radmanovic.
Fultz was nr. 1 consensus and expected to go to Boston. The first one was Chris Brussard at Colin Cowherd, who said that he heard a rumour that Ainge liked Tatum. And after a while came that deal with Philly.
Actually nobody believed Tatum would be so good. Only Ainge. The same with Donovan Mitchell. Nobody was talking about Mitchell. I heard about Mitchell only after the summer league.

And with Zubac was a totally embarrassment. But to be fair, he was rotting on the bench. Luke didn't develop him at all. Only at Clippers he started to become the player he is today.
LakerFan1987
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:33 am    Post subject:

What about a 3-way trade with the Pacers and Hornets?

Lakers get - Turner, Buddy and Oubre

Hornets get - Russ

Pacers get - Hayward and Plumlee
daytripper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:44 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
dabask11 wrote:

Fox
Mitchell
Tatum
Adebayo
Allen

Chicago's falling apart without Zo. Anyone who watched him on the Bulls knows how much he unlocked the offense (and defense). With DeRozan and Lavine running the show, you get diminishing returns and less volatility. Ideally, you want a Jason Kidd type next to Lavine, DeRozan and Vucevic. The funny thing is Chicago still struggles if they add a 30 point scorer like Mitchell or Tatum. They are in desperate need of a lead guard. Caruso's numbers are also very bad. Zo's never had the chance to prove himself. His laundry list of injuries year after year means there will always be what ifs about how good he could have been.

Agreed. Lonzo's also a negative asset on his current contract due to all the injuries. The injury red flags are probably the reason why the Bulls were the only team to pursue him in free agency last year. At this point who knows when he will be on the court again. The knee injuries have gotten out of control so there's no guarantee he won't get injured again. Due to his meniscus issues he might have the knees of a much older man at this point.

The Jazz just got a treasure trove in return for Mitchell. Tatum is pretty much priceless as there's no way the Celtics would deal him for any return. Lonzo got signed and traded for a few shekels because the most important ability is availability.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:09 am    Post subject:

daytripper wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
dabask11 wrote:

Fox
Mitchell
Tatum
Adebayo
Allen

Agreed. Lonzo's also a negative asset on his current contract due to all the injuries. The injury red flags are probably the reason why the Bulls were the only team to pursue him in free agency last year. At this point who knows when he will be on the court again. The knee injuries have gotten out of control so there's no guarantee he won't get injured again. Due to his meniscus issues he might have the knees of a much older man at this point.

The Jazz just got a treasure trove in return for Mitchell. Tatum is pretty much priceless as there's no way the Celtics would deal him for any return. Lonzo got signed and traded for a few shekels because the most important ability is availability.

I see Fultz and Ball in the same vein. Both of them had promising careers that were derailed by some deeper medical conundrum. It's entirely unfair to say they are busts right now. For Fultz, it was his shoulder, along with some neurological issue that made him forget how to shoot the ball. Completely bizarre and unexpected. With Zo, we all saw how he prepped for the draft and the kind of strenuous workouts he did with Lavar. It would seem that yearlong AAU ball also played some role in killing his body. The Ball family has been playing basketball their entire lives and it just seems to be catching up with them. LaMelo is going through a similar issue with his ankles.
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Quote:
Luka Doncic is one of the biggest stars in the NBA. At the same time, he's the franchise player of the Dallas Mavericks organization. While the Mavs made it to the Western Conference Finals last year, it's often said that Luka doesn't get enough help to really succeed.

With Doncic's immense talent, some fans worry about him possibly leaving the team in search of a more suitable place for a championship run. However, the Slovenian superstar assures that it's not going to happen, at least not in the upcoming years.

"I don't think they [should] worry about it. I have five years left here so I don't think they should be worried about it," the player told WFAA's Joe Trahan in an interview.

https://basketnews.com/news-181360-luka-doncic-stays-devoted-to-mavericks-i-want-to-win-a-championship-here.html

he's coming!
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:11 pm    Post subject:

LakerFan1987 wrote:

Hornets get - Russ

Change Buddy to us getting Hayward, then it’s perfect.

Buddy is useless on defense and we don’t need more undersized guards on this team.
rock0100
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
LakerFan1987 wrote:

Hornets get - Russ

Change Buddy to us getting Hayward, then it’s perfect.

Buddy is useless on defense and we don’t need more undersized guards on this team.

Would rather get Turner, Rozier, and Oubre
zambia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:46 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

He is what he is.

I don't care about woulda-coulda-shouldas.

He is what he is.

It’s actually woulda-coulda—shoulda-didn’t.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:51 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:

I recall that VLF had Tatum as our preferred pick.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:37 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:

That's where my head was at but don't remember if i mentioned it or not. There was a lot of LG wanting the local boy, Ball. I never liked Ball but there was a lot of noise here. VLF (he may not have been alone) comes out on his preference more times than not; I may have stayed away for the conflict. I remember the kid looked so much more complete as a player but...this is where we are..
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:13 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:

It was Mike @LG
zambia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:21 pm    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
OT but...

Just for fun.

Kobe at 24

Lonzo over Tatum. Ouch.

Rob said Magic was not in the office. Rob was the GM, it’s his fault.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:56 pm    Post subject:

andree wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
OT but...

Just for fun.

Kobe at 24

Lonzo over Tatum. Ouch.

I can answer at your question! Those persons didn't exist. Neither here on the forum nor official.
The official consensus was Fultz nr.1, Lonzo nr.2, Jackson and Tatum nr. 3&4. Fultz was regarded as the second coming of Kyrie Irving. Lonzo the passing maestro. Though by Lonzo were a few questions about his shooting technique and his ability to play P&R, which is the bread and butter in the NBA.

I remmeber that I asked here to whom you compare Tatum and Markkanen. Tatum was viewed as similar to Camelo or Tobias Harris (manny points but overall ineffective player) and Markkanen was supposely another Radmanovic.
Fultz was nr. 1 consensus and expected to go to Boston. The first one was Chris Brussard at Colin Cowherd, who said that he heard a rumour that Ainge liked Tatum. And after a while came that deal with Philly.
Actually nobody believed Tatum would be so good. Only Ainge. The same with Donovan Mitchell. Nobody was talking about Mitchell. I heard about Mitchell only after the summer league.

And with Zubac was a totally embarrassment. But to be fair, he was rotting on the bench. Luke didn't develop him at all. Only at Clippers he started to become the player he is today.

Some here, including myself, wanted the team to draft Tatum.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:58 pm    Post subject:

LakerFan1987 wrote:

Hornets get - Russ

And the Hornets would do that because?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 703, 704, 705 ... 2544, 2545, 2546  Next
Page 704 of 2546
Jump to: