View previous topic :: View next topic  
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: g

DaMuleRules wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
I'm sure you find your obtuse games entertaining, and probably even think you're being quite clever, but I'm not going to encourage such silliness any further.

Yeah, the question wasn't meant solely for you. It's meant for anyone who takes the position similar to yours.

I'm assuming you're not the only one with this position? So anyone with a position similar to yours can answer the question.

And for future reference, you can choose not to answer a question anytime you want. No need to announce what you will or will not be doing....

I think the board will be able to figure out that you won't answer by..... not answering?

Oh . . . OK. Thanks for your insight there Sparky. I'm sure you know how embarrassed I am right now for not figuring that all on my own. You're a real gem.

Whether you are embarrassed or not, I have no idea. Just like I have no idea whether you're going to continue to answer or not.

But I'm sure either way, we'll get an announcement.

In any case, that was a short lived hiatus.

But anyways, yeah, I wasn't only asking you, so you're still welcomed to not answer if you choose.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:37 pm    Post subject:

It will be interesting to see who truly cares about bringing American Political prisoners home from Russia now that it's some white dude journalist who isn't a sports celebrity.

So far . . . crickets.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:32 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
.....some white dude journalist......

Yeah, he looks pretty pale.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:19 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
So far . . . crickets.

Quote:
Brittney Griner calls for the release of an American reporter detained in Russia

Brittney Griner, the basketball star who was detained in Russia for nearly 10 months last year, said America must do "everything in our power" to bring home a Wall Street Journal reporter who Moscow is accusing of espionage.

https://www.npr.org/2023/04/02/1167656541/wall-street-journal-reporter-detained-russia-evan-gershkovich-brittney-griner

Quote:
‘Let him go’: Joe Biden calls on Russia to release US journalist

President Joe Biden has called on Russia to release Evan Gershkovich, a Wall Street Journal reporter arrested earlier this week on espionage charges and facing 20 years in jail.

“Let him go,” said Biden, when asked about the case on Friday. Previously, the White House press secretary, Karine Jean-Pierre, described the espionage charges levelled against Gershkovich as “ridiculous”.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:29 am    Post subject:

^^^
I am referring to the clebrities/people on social media and message boards.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:59 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
^^^

Yeah, I can't comment because I don't follow. But it's nice to have a watchdog out there monitoring social media and message boards for these important people's reactions. Will these updates be daily, biweekly, weekly, monthly?
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:46 am    Post subject:

Are there more details on his arrest? Whelans brother was quoted as saying he was “framed up” similarly. Was he caught with a USB drive or anything tangible?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:12 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
^^^

Yeah, I can't comment because I don't follow. But it's nice to have a watchdog out there monitoring social media and message boards for these important people's reactions. Will these updates be daily, biweekly, weekly, monthly?

Entirely missing the point. But thanks for chiming in.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:20 am    Post subject:

When Joe Blow is arrested in Russia it's a slow burn. When a celebrity is arrested it's a forest fire.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:24 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Entirely missing the point. But thanks for chiming in.

Point 1: Evan Gershkovich is white

DaMuleRules wrote:
.....some white dude journalist......

Point 2: celebrities/people on social media and message boards are not posting enough.

DaMuleRules wrote:
^^^

DaMuleRules wrote:
So far . . . crickets.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:34 am    Post subject:

Quote:
“Certainly the Biden administration should continue its efforts to negotiate and to try to get the release of this journalist, but overall, people should be very cautious about staying in Russia,” Republican Rep. Mike Turner of Ohio told CNN’s Dana Bash on “State of the Union.”

Turner noted that the US government “gave people notice that they should get out of Russia” and said he would continued to encourage people to do so. The Biden administration has echoed those assessments. While the Kremlin has asserted that Russia is safe for accredited journalists, White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre told CNN on Friday, “Russia is not safe for Americans.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/02/business/media/evan-gershkovich-wsj-reporter-russia.html
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:06 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
When Joe Blow is arrested in Russia it's a slow burn. When a celebrity is arrested it's a forest fire.

Which perfectly illustrates the issue I am addressing, as much as someone else may be trying to turn it into something else for personal reasons.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:43 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Which perfectly illustrates the issue I am addressing, as much as someone else may be trying to turn it into something else for personal reasons.

Translation: in a topic about Evan Gershkovich being detained in Russia, I am the victim in all of this...

-------------------------------------

But anyways, getting back to an actual Evan Gershkovich question:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Are there more details on his arrest? Whelans brother was quoted as saying he was “framed up” similarly. Was he caught with a USB drive or anything tangible?

Quote:
Gershkovich is currently being held in a pre-trial detention center at the notorious Lefortovo prison until May 29. He faces up to 20 years in prison on espionage charges. The Wall Street Journal has vehemently denied the spying accusations against Gershkovich.

Russia’s main security service, the FSB, claimed that Gershkovich, a correspondent based in Moscow, had been trying to obtain state secrets. The Wall Street Journal categorically rejected the accusation, saying in a statement that it “vehemently denies the allegations from the FSB and seeks the immediate release of our trusted and dedicated reporter.”

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/03/europe/evan-gershkovich-appeals-arrest-russia-intl/index.html

Yeah, it's pretty vague. I don't think we know what the evidence against him is yet.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:11 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Translation: in a topic about Evan Gershkovich being detained in Russia, I am the victim in all of this...

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Quote:
Gershkovich is currently being held in a pre-trial detention center at the notorious Lefortovo prison until May 29. He faces up to 20 years in prison on espionage charges. The Wall Street Journal has vehemently denied the spying accusations against Gershkovich.

Russia’s main security service, the FSB, claimed that Gershkovich, a correspondent based in Moscow, had been trying to obtain state secrets. The Wall Street Journal categorically rejected the accusation, saying in a statement that it “vehemently denies the allegations from the FSB and seeks the immediate release of our trusted and dedicated reporter.”

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/03/europe/evan-gershkovich-appeals-arrest-russia-intl/index.html

Yeah, it's pretty vague. I don't think we know what the evidence against him is yet.

No victim mentality here at all. I'm just pointing out your disingenuousness, and that you have repeatedly made it clear you have an issue with me, apparently for some personal slight in the past.

Anyway. As I said to jodeke, thank you for demonstrating the double standard that is the issue I am addressing. We don't know whether Gershkovich is guilty or not. But we know Griner was guilty of what she was charged with. Yet there was great public outcry to bring her home (to which I don't take exception), but with Gershkovich, there is no such concern . . . clearly.

This case has setup in an attempt to force another prisoner swap written all over it. Which was my main issue with the Griner situation. While on the one hand it was the right thing to do to get Griner home, it came with the obvious risk of encouraging the Russians to take another American for leverage. And here we are. I am of the mind that if the US is going to make deals with the Russians to exchange prisoners, then that policy should apply to all prisoners, not just those involved in a cause célèbre (literally).
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:29 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
No victim mentality here at all. I'm just pointing out your disingenuousness, and that you have repeatedly made it clear you have an issue with me, apparently for some personal slight in the past.

Thank you for the thorough explanation of how you're not a victim as it pertains to Evan Gershkovich's detainment in Russia.

DaMuleRules wrote:
This case has setup in an attempt to force another prisoner swap written all over it. Which was my main issue with the Griner situation. While on the one hand it was the right thing to do to get Griner home, it came with the obvious risk of encouraging the Russians to take another American for leverage. And here we are. I am of the mind that if the US is going to make deals with the Russians to exchange prisoners, then that policy should apply to all prisoners, not just those involved in a cause célèbre (literally).

Sounds like a criticism of US policy.

Yet, somehow you're scouring social media and message boards to see what celebrities and people are posting on the subject....

How does criticizing US policy have anything to do with scouring the internet for celebrity posts?

Are you worried about US policy not being equally applied to all prisoners? Or are you more worried about celebrities not equally posting about all prisoners? Which concerns you more?

Your original post seems like you're only concerned about what the celebrities are posting about on social media:

DaMuleRules wrote:
It will be interesting to see who truly cares about bringing American Political prisoners home from Russia now that it's some white dude journalist who isn't a sports celebrity.

So far . . . crickets.

I showed you articles saying that the Biden administration does care about Evan Gershkovich's detainment in Russia.

To which you replied that you're only concerned with the celebrities and people posting on social media and message boards:

DaMuleRules wrote:
^^^

Or did I get too personal with pointing this out?

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:57 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Quote:

Thanks! The stuff I saw was pretty vague also. That he was under directions to obtain information about Russia's military industrial complex. Well, he's a (bleep) reporter and Russia has been at war with Ukraine for over a year, people want stories about what Russia's motivation is. Thats not espionage.

I have no idea if Whelan was a spy, but he was caught with a USB drive, had a bunch of passports or citizenship statuses, so it makes me think the two likely possibilities are that either the drive was planted on him, or he may have been involved in espionage in some capacity. In the Gershkovich case it seems like he was arrested for asking the wrong questions about the wrong entities. WSJ reporters are smart, they don't need to be under direction of the CIA to figure (bleep) out about the "miliitary industrial complex" and their motivations for war.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:59 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Thanks! The stuff I saw was pretty vague also. That he was under directions to obtain information about Russia's military industrial complex. Well, he's a (bleep) reporter and Russia has been at war with Ukraine for over a year, people want stories about what Russia's motivation is. Thats not espionage.

I have no idea if Whelan was a spy, but he was caught with a USB drive, had a bunch of passports or citizenship statuses, so it makes me think the two likely possibilities are that either the drive was planted on him, or he may have been involved in espionage in some capacity. In the Gershkovich case it seems like he was arrested for asking the wrong questions about the wrong entities. WSJ reporters are smart, they don't need to be under direction of the CIA to figure (bleep) out about the "miliitary industrial complex" and their motivations for war.

What I don't get is why are there still journalists still in Russia?
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:18 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Yeah, with hindsight, he should not have been there, but I am a WSJ subscriber paying $50/mo (anybody know how i can get a discount?) and I want to learn more about why this Ukraine war is still going on, so I am one of their target audience for these reports.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:28 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Yeah, with hindsight, he should not have been there, but I am a WSJ subscriber paying $50/mo (anybody know how i can get a discount?) and I want to learn more about why this Ukraine war is still going on, so I am one of their target audience for these reports.

When I go to their website, there's a promotion that says:

Quote:
Special Offer: $1 per Week
Sale Extended

Choose your WSJ Subscription
WSJ Digital
$1/week for 1 year

You can cancel anytime.
What you'll enjoy:

Unlimited access on WSJ.com and in the WSJ app
Daily puzzles and crosswords
Audio versions of WSJ articles

So, just make a new account?

Anyways, yeah, if there are still journalists and Americans still stationed there after this, I don't know what to say. Seems they're playing with fire at this point.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:54 am    Post subject:

Joe Blow, Mary Shmo, Denzel Washington, don't go to Russia. If you do you travel at your own peril. You've been forewarned.

IMO an everyday citizen will get the same treatment by the government
to procure their release as a celebrity. The difference will be media coverage. Celebs get more clicks thus more public scrutiny.

Russia - Level 4: Do Not Travel.Feb 13, 2023.

Russia Travel Advisory

LINK

Quote:
Last Update: Reissued with updates to health and other risk indicators.

Do not travel to Russia due to the unpredictable consequences of the unprovoked full-scale invasion of Ukraine by Russian military forces, the potential for harassment and the singling out of U.S. citizens for detention by Russian government security officials, the arbitrary enforcement of local law, limited flights into and out of Russia, the Embassy’s limited ability to assist U.S. citizens in Russia, and the possibility of terrorism. U.S. citizens residing or travelling in Russia should depart immediately. Exercise increased caution due to the risk of wrongful detentions.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:26 am; edited 2 times in total
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:18 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

My guess is you won't find any mainstream journalists there. There are lots of non-mainstream journalists that go to gritty dangerous places to get hits for their website.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:26 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Joe Blow, Mary Shmo, Denzel Washington, don't go to Russia. If you do you travel at your own peril. You've been forewarned . . . Celebs get more clicks thus more public scrutiny.

That's certainly a way to rationalize not being vocal about getting non-celebrities home. BTW, Griner took a controlled substance to a country known for its almost draconian level drug laws . . . just saying.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:09 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
That's certainly a way to rationalize not being vocal about getting non-celebrities home.

So the issue really is about celebrities not posting enough on the matter. At least we know the real issue of discontent.

Now, I don't know how effective it is to come in here and call out all the celebrities for being non-vocal on the matter...

I don't know if any celebrities actually read these threads.

Or maybe the real issue of discontent is that the posters in here aren't being vocal enough about Evan Gershkovich's plight?

Someone's not being vocal enough....

Is it the media?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7
Jump to: