Why the counterfeit business is booming

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:48 pm    Post subject: Why the counterfeit business is booming

The Economist

(Why the counterfeit business is booming)

Quote:
The quantity and quality of counterfeit sneakers has never been greater. As online sales boom, many buyers are deliberately choosing the steal over the real.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:01 pm    Post subject:

You won't get the same disdain for a solid fake of shoes like you would a fake Rolex. And Nike/Rolex do the same thing w/ limited releases. To the same point, some Rolex models like the Daytona are being counterfeited better than ever.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:40 am    Post subject:

Fake Rolexes are difficult to spot. They sell relatively cheap. There are a plethora of sites that sell them.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:57 pm    Post subject:

The idea of paying large sums of money for basic utilitarian items like shoes and watches always struck me foolish, real or not.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:50 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
The idea of paying large sums of money for basic utilitarian items like shoes and watches always struck me foolish, real or not.

I go w/ the quartz movement Rolex models, personally. Affordable. No need for servicings. No need to be selected to buy one at an official dealer store. You can buy them from vendors on the street. They cut thru the middlemen and you get a 100% authentic quartz Rolex.

Rolex sports models used to be utilitarian in the day, but now those old ones go for big bucks and that's because they used to be utilitarian in the day.

LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:06 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I go w/ the quartz movement Rolex models, personally. Affordable. No need for servicings. No need to be selected to buy one at an official dealer store. You can buy them from vendors on the street. They cut thru the middlemen and you get a 100% authentic quartz Rolex.

Rolex sports models used to be utilitarian in the day, but now those old ones go for big bucks and that's because they used to be utilitarian in the day.

Rolex actually did make quartz models at one time -- LINK. And they did need to be serviced.

I don't know if I agree with you about "basic utilitarian items." I agree that a watch serves a basic utilitarian FUNCTION, but it also serves as jewelry. I paid big bucks for a pretty rock my wife wears on her finger, and it serves no utilitarian function at all. So my watch has her diamond beat.

That said, I have owned two Rolexes in the past, but sold both (at a hefty profit, incidentally) precisely because the market for them is so stupid. I now have a single Omega that's just as beautiful & well made, but not subject to a crazy stupid market fueled by intentionally throttled supply and demand from rappers and crypto whiz kids.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:07 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Rolex actually did make quartz models at one time -- LINK. And they did need to be serviced.

I don't know if I agree with you about "basic utilitarian items." I agree that a watch serves a basic utilitarian FUNCTION, but it also serves as jewelry. I paid big bucks for a pretty rock my wife wears on her finger, and it serves no utilitarian function at all. So my watch has her diamond beat.

That said, I have owned two Rolexes in the past, but sold both (at a hefty profit, incidentally) precisely because the market for them is so stupid. I now have a single Omega that's just as beautiful & well made, but not subject to a crazy stupid market fueled by intentionally throttled supply and demand from rappers and crypto whiz kids.

"Foolish" wasn't really the correct word. I just don't get it, even from the jewelry standpoint—but I've never been the gold chain, men's bracelet kind of guy.

As for wedding/engagement rings, I wouldn't say they serve no utilitarian purpose; they are symbolic of something significant. And back in my single days, I'd say they served a utilitarian purpose.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:46 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Fake Rolexes are difficult to spot. They sell relatively cheap. There are a plethora of sites that sell them.

Hi Jodeke. Is this website legit? How are the quality of their watches? Thanks
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:24 pm    Post subject:

ksmgf wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Hi Jodeke. Is this website legit? How are the quality of their watches? Thanks

It was recommended by a Nigerian prince he knows.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:07 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Even more unbelievable, I saw a watch service vid since this post of a semi-tank shaped Vacheron quartz watch. Must've been panic at the start of the quartz crisis. I like the look of pie pan Constellations from yore. Pretty design. Quartz doesn't have half the charm of an Accutron, accuracy be damned.

audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:25 am    Post subject:

my wife buys high quality "1 to 1" copycat versions of high end bags online... typically about $100-$200 for bags that retail in the thousands. Her reasoning is if she cant tell the difference why even pay the huge premium for the real thing especially when people are going to assume its fake either way.
perfectly illustrated in the movie Dope:

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:20 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
my wife buys high quality "1 to 1" copycat versions of high end bags online... typically about $100-$200 for bags that retail in the thousands. Her reasoning is if she cant tell the difference why even pay the huge premium for the real thing especially when people are going to assume its fake either way.
perfectly illustrated in the movie Dope:

You can tell a lot about a man from his sock draw and his shoes. You can tell a lot about a woman from the purse she carries and its content.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: