AD's Injury - A bone spur fractured off the navicular bone in his right foot - Laker Moves??

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:35 pm    Post subject: AD's Injury - A bone spur fractured off the navicular bone in his right foot - Laker Moves??

How many games can we realistically expect from AD given his ever-continuing list of existing and new injuries that continually takes its toll.

Latest new type of injury is a navicular bone -- which is located at the top of the foot between the ankle and the toes

In other words, it is "A bone spur fractured off the navicular bone in his right foot. That same navicular bone -- which is located at the top of the foot between the ankle and the toes -- has a stress reaction which first appeared"
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/35350412/los-angeles-lakers-anthony-davis-gives-update-right-foot-injury

Lakers are committed to Anthony Davis with this contract that will end in 2025
5 year / $189,903,600 contract with the Los Angeles Lakers, including $189,903,600 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $37,980,720. In 2022-23, Davis will earn a base salary of $37,980,720, while carrying a cap hit of $37,980,720 and a dead cap value of $37,980,720.

Build a team around the expectation that AD will always miss 15-25 games every season, hence need another Big Man star that is able to play with AD when they are both on the floor?

Load Manage AD like how the Clippers are treating Kwahi with similar results
quartzcharm
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:06 am    Post subject:

It's an injury that could keep him out 8 months, but he hopes to be back in 4 weeks...so he'll probably be back in about 12 months or so.

Thank God he comes off the books in 2 years and we can be rid of him.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Assuming that these physical conditions were have been identified in a complete physical of any high-value player on a multi-year contract, were the Lakers (along with LBJ - the pseudo Assistant G.M.) aware of these issues?

If LBJ was aware of these issues and signed off on AD's acquisitions, these injuries and its consequences should not be surprising to all parties involved.

What is it?

The foot is made up of several small bones, including the tarsal navicular bone. This bone is located on inside part of the foot along the arch and helps support the arch of the foot. It can be easily injured from physical activities like running and jumping because of where it is located. Fractures in this bone may happen from injury or overuse. The tarsal navicular bone also has certain areas with decreased blood flow, making it a risk for injury and poor healing. If there is increased stress or inadequate recovery, a fracture can develop. A stress fracture ranges from bone swelling to a full break that develops from repeated pressure on the bone rather than one large force. This usually is seen as slowly increasing pain over time, initially with infrequent pain with activity and progressing to constant pain.

Risk Factors
Increased frequency, volume or intensity of sport training
Change in equipment, such as different shoes or training surface
Poor nutrition
Low bone density
Atypical foot structure, such as high arches

Symptoms

Vague pain to the middle or top of the foot and in the arch of the foot
Mild swelling or bruising to the foot, though often not seen
Pain with walking, running or jumping. Frequently, patients will initially have pain only after high-intensity activities like running or jumping. It can progress to pain with low-intensity activities, such as walking and eventually steady pain, even at rest.
Tenderness when pushing on the navicular bone

Sports Medicine Evaluation & Treatment

Your doctor initially will ask you questions regarding the pain you are feeling, such as where you have pain, how long it has been hurting and what activities make it better or worse. Your doctor will exam your foot to look for bruising or swelling, evaluate the movement of your foot, and determine areas of tenderness. In approximately 80 percent of people with a tarsal navicular fracture, there will be tenderness of the tarsal navicular bone.

Your doctor will likely obtain an x-ray, though these are often normal. Advanced imaging is often needed, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) or computed tomography scans (CT scan). These can help better determine the severity of the injury and what type of treatment is needed. MRI is particularly helpful at seeing early signs of bone injury, even if a full fracture has not occurred.

Treatment of tarsal navicular stress fractures is determined by the severity and location of your injury. Initial treatment for the majority of these fractures is in a cast and non-weight bearing for 6 weeks. For less severe fractures, if pain is resolved at that time, a graded return to activities starting with physical therapy is begun. If the pain is persistent, the period of time in a cast and non-weight bearing is extended. Sometimes even with appropriate treatment, these fractures do not heal because of poor blood supply and surgery is needed. Also, for fractures that heal poorly surgery is often needed.

Injury Prevention

For all stress fractures and general bone health, nutrition and eating enough calories for the demands of sport is very important. Consuming adequate calcium and vitamin D have also been shown to decrease the risk of stress fractures. It is recommended to gradually increase training by no more than 10-15 percent each week to allow for adequate recovery. Proper fitting equipment and shoes, along with appropriate playing surfaces, can also help decrease risk for development of stress fractures.

Return to Play

All tarsal navicular stress fractures are considered high-risk because non-healing stress fractures are common with either conservative or surgical treatments, due to the poor blood supply to the bone. Return to play can take several weeks and even months with either type of treatment. Determined by the degree of injury, return to play after tarsal navicular stress fractures is typically a minimum of 12 weeks, and can be longer. These injuries require a slow and gradual return to sports that is closely monitored by your doctor.

https://www.sportsmedtoday.com/navicular-stress-fracture-va-159.htm
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:41 pm    Post subject:

^^^^

He doesn't have a stress fracture. There's a whole thread about injuries where TD posts information about Davis and other players.

https://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=193012&start=375
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:39 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
^^^^

He doesn't have a stress fracture. There's a whole thread about injuries where TD posts information about Davis and other players.

A lot of talking heads on the radio have been mistakenly saying stress fracture, and now a bunch of my buddies keep saying its a stress fracture, "they said it on ESPN radio". They don't understand that being on ESPN radio doesnt mean everything you say is correct. It actually means closer to the opposite.
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:48 pm    Post subject:

quartzcharm wrote:
It's an injury that could keep him out 8 months, but he hopes to be back in 4 weeks...so he'll probably be back in about 12 months or so.

You will probably never see a player of his talent on the Lakers again
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:39 pm    Post subject:

Polarbear wrote:
quartzcharm wrote:

What makes you say that? Just curious.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:41 pm    Post subject:

Polarbear wrote:
quartzcharm wrote:

Probably wont see a wasted talent like this in the NBA for decades. AD was thought to be a perennial MVP candidate and heir to LeBron as the best player in the league after his first couple season, but the dude spends way too much time on the bench.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:46 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
^^^^

A lot of talking heads on the radio have been mistakenly saying stress fracture, and now a bunch of my buddies keep saying its a stress fracture, "they said it on ESPN radio". They don't understand that being on ESPN radio doesnt mean everything you say is correct. It actually means closer to the opposite.

I got this quote

https://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/story/2022-12-30/lakers-anthony-davis-right-foot-injury-improving-fracture-bone-spur

“After that, it was just figuring out the next steps to getting back on the floor. The next day, they told me I had a stress reaction in my navicular bone, so I was kinda dealing with two problems. It comes from that piece, the bone spur continuously hitting the navicular bone, causing the stress on it, which is more alarming for me than the bone spur. The stress reaction [can lead to] a stress fracture, and that’s a whole different ballgame.”

In other words based off the quote directly from AD, he had a stress reaction..not stress fracture..he just explains the reaction can lead to a fracture if he kept on playing for example...but it never got to that point.

It further goes on in the article that one doctor explained that he probably could have gotten the bone spur as early as college. The bone spur appears to not be a new thing.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:19 am    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
^^^^

I got this quote

https://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/story/2022-12-30/lakers-anthony-davis-right-foot-injury-improving-fracture-bone-spur

“After that, it was just figuring out the next steps to getting back on the floor. The next day, they told me I had a stress reaction in my navicular bone, so I was kinda dealing with two problems. It comes from that piece, the bone spur continuously hitting the navicular bone, causing the stress on it, which is more alarming for me than the bone spur. The stress reaction [can lead to] a stress fracture, and that’s a whole different ballgame.”

In other words based off the quote directly from AD, he had a stress reaction..not stress fracture..he just explains the reaction can lead to a fracture if he kept on playing for example...but it never got to that point.

It further goes on in the article that one doctor explained that he probably could have gotten the bone spur as early as college. The bone spur appears to not be a new thing.
I'm hoping that it is just a "stress reaction."

"Davis detailed the complex injury he is dealing with. A bone spur fractured off the navicular bone in his right foot. That same navicular bone -- which is located at the top of the foot between the ankle and the toes -- has a stress reaction which first appeared in a game against the Denver Nuggets on Dec. 16 when his right leg collided with Nikola Jokic in the paint." AD stated that it was a "bone spur fractured off the navicular bone in his right foot."

Which words of AD (who is not a doctor) should be relied upon.

Bottom Line #1: When will AD be playing like one of the top players of the NBA

Bottome Line #2: How long will AD be playing like one of the top players in the NBA when he is sidelined again with another injury

Bottom Line #3: Should load management be an important/most important factor to consider with AD
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:04 am    Post subject:

I am just done with this guy. Top 3/5 when healthy or not
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:30 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
lar9149 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
^^^^

I got this quote

"Davis detailed the complex injury he is dealing with. A bone spur fractured off the navicular bone in his right foot. That same navicular bone -- which is located at the top of the foot between the ankle and the toes -- has a stress reaction which first appeared in a game against the Denver Nuggets on Dec. 16 when his right leg collided with Nikola Jokic in the paint." AD stated that it was a "bone spur fractured off the navicular bone in his right foot."

Bottome Line #2: How long will AD be playing like one of the top players in the NBA when he is sidelined again with another injury

Bottom Line #3: Should load management be an important/most important factor to consider with AD

It is quite the important questions you ask.I did some research on the treatment AD maybe getting when he is getting back to LA.

It is shockwave and bone stimulation therapy (one link below).

This treatment uses electrical stimulation to help bone healing and growth. Some studies show that in people that had bone fractures that didn't heal, it promoted healing in 85% of the participants.

But AD doesn't have a fracture supposely..nietherless scientists believe the way shockwave therapy works is mechanotransduction..basically where stress promotes chemical signal in cells which in turn cause bone formation and strengthening.

In other words the therapy he receives can possibly strengthen the navicular bone and even if the bone spur is still present, the chance of another stress reaction or worse fracture, is reduced since the bone is stronger.

It will be interesting to see if this therapy works. If is does, maybe the Lakers don't have to worry about the bottom lines you mentioned..if it works!

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0020138321001844
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:24 am    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
lar9149 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
^^^^

I got this quote

It is quite the important questions you ask.I did some research on the treatment AD maybe getting when he is getting back to LA.

It is shockwave and bone stimulation therapy (one link below).

This treatment uses electrical stimulation to help bone healing and growth. Some studies show that in people that had bone fractures that didn't heal, it promoted healing in 85% of the participants.

But AD doesn't have a fracture supposely..nietherless scientists believe the way shockwave therapy works is mechanotransduction..basically where stress promotes chemical signal in cells which in turn cause bone formation and strengthening.

In other words the therapy he receives can possibly strengthen the navicular bone and even if the bone spur is still present, the chance of another stress reaction or worse fracture, is reduced since the bone is stronger.

It will be interesting to see if this therapy works. If is does, maybe the Lakers don't have to worry about the bottom lines you mentioned..if it works!

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0020138321001844
Lets hope for the best

AD’s long, short and recent history of injures suggests that a different strategy is needed for the Lakers to achieve success during the term of AD’s contract

Westbrook’s acquisition seemingly is one strategy - have another superstar who can dominate whenever AD is injured. Unfortunately, Westbrook at this state of his career cannot. LBJ, at this state of his career, cannot consistently carry a team or make his teammates better (true sign of greatness)

LBJ, AD and Westbrook are uber-talented players. Many reasons and factors contributed this season woes

This year’s roster is better than the Cav team LBJ took to the finals and our last championship didn’t have any dependable outside shooters

One wonders if Matt Ryan, presently with the TWolves, would have helped
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Not too optimistic about this 4 weeks timeline, this sounds exactly like Swider’s injury and it took him couple months
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:37 pm    Post subject:

Heres an answer to your post by GPT Ai

"It's difficult to predict how many games any player will miss due to injuries. While Anthony Davis has had a history of injuries, he has also shown the ability to play at a high level when healthy. It's important for the Lakers to have a deep team with players who can step up in case of injuries, but building the team around the assumption that Davis will miss a certain number of games every season may not be the best approach. Instead, the focus should be on finding players who can complement Davis and the rest of the team, and have the ability to contribute consistently regardless of who is available to play."

Things will get out of hands soon
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: