Lakers will enter the play-in
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Lakers will enter the play-in

leking006 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
leking006 wrote:
A loss by the jazz and wolves and a Lakers win vs Hawks and Kings will put Lakers on the 10th spot.

Hawks and Kings are winnable games!!! Let's cross our fingers!!! May luck is in Lakers favor this time.

I understand where you're coming from, but this is still pretty sad. If this was college football, being in the top 10 would be an accomplishment, unless you're Alabama. This isn't college football, and we are the Alabama of the NBA. These are dismal times.

I don't mind what place in the playoffs they will be. 1 thing for sure, a healthy AD and Bron can beat any team in a series. That is if they can be healthy for a long run.

It's the bolded that is key.
I don't think they can be. Just physically their bodies can't hold up for long stretches. AD's body is fragile. And Bron got too many miles on the odometer. He's not MIA and CLE Bron anymore. That guy was durable.
RashardA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:47 pm    Post subject:

Laker standards are in the mud.

Three max players on the roster and fans are getting excited because they are approaching the PLAY-IN.

What is life?

activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:20 pm    Post subject:

RashardA wrote:

Three max players on the roster and fans are getting excited because they are approaching the PLAY-IN.

What is life?

I hear you. But the excitement isn't about the notion that we will just get into the play in and be squashed. It's about the hope/fantasy that LeBron and AD will be healthy by then and will be able to lead us on a strong playoff run.

It's a binary after all. If you're out of the playoffs completely you've got no chance. If you get into the play-ins, you have a chance to go all the way
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:10 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
RashardA wrote:

What is life?

I hear you. But the excitement isn't about the notion that we will just get into the play in and be squashed. It's about the hope/fantasy that LeBron and AD will be healthy by then and will be able to lead us on a strong playoff run.

It's a binary after all. If you're out of the playoffs completely you've got no chance. If you get into the play-ins, you have a chance to go all the way

So you’re sayin’ there is a chance….
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:34 am    Post subject:

Laker4lifer4real wrote:
activeverb wrote:
RashardA wrote:

What is life?

So you’re sayin’ there is a chance….

If "miraculously" they qualified for the playoffs and at the same time both Lebron and AD are healthy, they have a chance to win it all. Winning it all depends on how healthy are those 2.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:24 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
RashardA wrote:

What is life?

I can get down with this, but it's not easy when the sensible side of me thinks that this team is poopoo and has no shot. An 8th seed has never won the NBA finals (I don't think), but I guess there is a first time for everything.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:09 am    Post subject:

RashardA wrote:

What is life?

we have been in the lottery 2 of the last 4 years. a 3rd in 5 would be sad.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:40 am    Post subject:

Yeah standards have fallen big time, but at this point with not much young talent to develop nor a draft pick to get towards, the only realistic goal the Lakers can have is get 2 play in wins and into a good 1st round playoff battle.

I mean they've got a better group this year around AD/Bron, and WB is willing to come off the bench. You have players like Dennis playing well, as vet min guys. Reaves has improved from last year, and we have a legit big who can score at the 5 in Bryant. Defensively some more potent speed. The only main flaw with our set up is we're refusing to put AD/Bron at their best spots on the floor to match up with better teams (4/3) and that we need another wing defender. But we have enough to at least be competitive.

Easily with a steady trade, we could get into that play in spot, but it's a toss up right now between us, Minneosta, Utah for that 10th spot. I know the Suns are falling but I can't see them fall below us. The spot that may be available is that 10th between Utah, Minnesota and us.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:44 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Yeah standards have fallen big time, but at this point with not much young talent to develop nor a draft pick to get towards, the only realistic goal the Lakers can have is get 2 play in wins and into a good 1st round playoff battle.

I mean they've got a better group this year around AD/Bron, and WB is willing to come off the bench. You have players like Dennis playing well, as vet min guys. Reaves has improved from last year, and we have a legit big who can score at the 5 in Bryant. Defensively some more potent speed. The only main flaw with our set up is we're refusing to put AD/Bron at their best spots on the floor to match up with better teams (4/3) and that we need another wing defender. But we have enough to at least be competitive.

Easily with a steady trade, we could get into that play in spot, but it's a toss up right now between us, Minneosta, Utah for that 10th spot. I know the Suns are falling but I can't see them fall below us. The spot that may be available is that 10th between Utah, Minnesota and us.

If you want to be positive I guess we can be happy that if we get in we don't have to play the Warriors in the first round.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:47 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

If you want to be positive I guess we can be happy that if we get in we don't have to play the Warriors in the first round.

Even better, we get to play them in the play-in game.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:58 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
defense wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Even better, we get to play them in the play-in game.

I see what you did there

Sojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:07 am    Post subject:

You guys really need to stop doing this to yourselves. Stop with the copium and just be happy with whatever happens because it ain't gonna be pretty if you keep thinking a miracle is going to happen.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:02 am    Post subject:

This team has grown on me to no shot to a very good punchers chance if healthy.

LBJ and AD haw shown they can still be elite level in this league

RW has become productive and actually plays D and a beast on boards for a G

AR, TB, LW, DS are steady dependable players that can change the game

PB looks like he is getting his O in order, still like his grit and can change the game with his play also

As far as length, Brown, Wenyen and JTA has shown me enough to be relied on.

LBJ, AD LW, PB, DS

with TB, AR, RW, Brown, Wenyen and JTA off the bench Coach plays you is playing well that game.
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:45 pm    Post subject:

lakers won too bad jazz and wolves are winning too 🤣🤣🤣🤣
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:50 pm    Post subject:

leking006 wrote:

The important thing is that we are gaining ground on the Pelicans.
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:54 pm    Post subject:

Just 2.5 games behind 6th place. "Maybe" we have a puncher's chance finishing at 6th. Looks like Clippers will go down with KL and PG getting injured.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:56 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
leking006 wrote:

do teams who make the play-in from the 9,10 seed still enter the draft lottery?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:00 pm    Post subject:

Have you guys seen the games coming up in the next couple of weeks? Good lord I hope the team is ready
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:02 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
leking006 wrote:

do teams who make the play-in from the 9,10 seed still enter the draft lottery?

Only if they lose and don't make the real playoffs... I think
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:22 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Have you guys seen the games coming up in the next couple of weeks? Good lord I hope the team is ready

Yup, that's why I said this past 10 games is the easiest schedule they will have and they are 5-4 right now. I don't know how they will survive after.lol
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:23 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
[He already is. Doesn't need to prove anything anymore. Laker fans are just too greedy wanting another championship from him in order to solidify him as the goat but I think what he's doing at this age is unprecedented and might never be repeated so that should carry a lot of weight.

Winning finals MVP with three different teams is also unprecedented. Coupled that with the soon to be credited all time leading scorer, it should be enough to crown him as the GOAT. No debates.

The people who consider Lebron the GOAT right now is a small minority.

In rankings by top publications, and in polls of fans and players, MJ still blows Lebron away. In a 2020 poll of NBA fans, for example, 73% said MJ was the superior player.

Right now, Lebron seems to be solidifying himself in the #2 spot in the GOAT rankings. Moving up to the #1 spot will be a herculean task. I doubt his getting the all-time scoring record will move the needle; he would probably need to match Jordan's 6 rings for the debate to really become a debate.

I'd argue it's already a debate. The herculean task would be getting that 5th ring. If he somehow had 6 there'd be no debate.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
activeverb wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
[He already is. Doesn't need to prove anything anymore. Laker fans are just too greedy wanting another championship from him in order to solidify him as the goat but I think what he's doing at this age is unprecedented and might never be repeated so that should carry a lot of weight.

Winning finals MVP with three different teams is also unprecedented. Coupled that with the soon to be credited all time leading scorer, it should be enough to crown him as the GOAT. No debates.

The people who consider Lebron the GOAT right now is a small minority.

In rankings by top publications, and in polls of fans and players, MJ still blows Lebron away. In a 2020 poll of NBA fans, for example, 73% said MJ was the superior player.

Right now, Lebron seems to be solidifying himself in the #2 spot in the GOAT rankings. Moving up to the #1 spot will be a herculean task. I doubt his getting the all-time scoring record will move the needle; he would probably need to match Jordan's 6 rings for the debate to really become a debate.

I'd argue it's already a debate. The herculean task would be getting that 5th ring. If he somehow had 6 there'd be no debate.

There is always a debate, other than with Kobe. Everyone else is fighting for #2
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:41 pm    Post subject:

We are only one game in the loss column behind the Phoenix Suns and two games behind the defending champion Warriors. What is going on?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:45 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
We are only one game in the loss column behind the Phoenix Suns and two games behind the defending champion Warriors. What is going on?

Phoenix is not a good team when Booker is out.

GS - opponents aren’t as scared of them when not having to worry about Steph.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:04 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:

Unless the Lakers shock the world this season (very unlikely), it's hard to imagine Lebron moving past Jordan as a consensus GOAT. I do think he'll likely be #2 in most polls.

The thing that people will always point to is just how dominant Jordan's Bulls teams were in the 90s. If he hadn't left to play baseball, they may have won 8 straight titles. If they had kept the team together another year they could have maybe gone for 9. But what is for sure is that once he cracked into the finals, he never lost, and never got pushed 7 games.

Even if the Lakers made a surprisingly goodmove this season, and Lebron won back to back titles to even it up with Jordan, the finals losses will likely be counted against him in the eyes of some. Especially the first run in Miami when he was very bad. The fact that he didn't have the same scoring mentality that Jordan and Kobe did down the stretch, being more willing to defer to his teammates than those guys did will likely also be counted against him.

Jordan at this point is like a Babe Ruth figure. Nobody was as good as his mystique is. But he was damn good. Played both ends. Won 6 titles, 5 MVPs, and a DPOY. If you discount the half season he played after coming back from baseball he would have led the league in scoring for 10 straight seasons. Since Wilt and the Run and Gun days no other player has averaged 37 in a game, and no other player has scored 63 points in a playoff game. That's a big mountain for anyone to climb. Lebron, along with Kobe and Duncan before him made admirable efforts though.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: