Official ANTHONY DAVIS Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1264, 1265, 1266 ... 1423, 1424, 1425  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:13 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
activeverb wrote:

Even with the injury issues, AD is a no-brainer Hall of Famer: 8 all-star, 4 all-defensive teams, top 4 MVP voting three times, 24-10 career average. According to Basketball Reference, he has a 98.5% probability. I can't see how anyone can seriously argue against him and maintain a straight face.

Sampson is a different category. I can only think he made it to the Hall based on his college career. He certainly doesn't merit it based on his pro career.

And that is why he will likely get in. Everything you posted except for the 24-10 average is based on popularity voting. The Hall is based on the same thing. I respect the play on the court when AD does manage to suit up but don’t really care about what sports writers think.

Obviously, any individual can use whatever criteria they want for who they think deserves to be a Hall of Famer.

I've known some people who would throw out 95% of the current Hall of Famers and limit the Hall to three inductees. To each their own.

You call MVP voting "a popularity contest." I call it a subjective decision based on personal and team success. Again, to each their own.

If we are staying in the real world, AD's career accomplishments clearly place him well within the standards for a Hall of Famer. You may not like those standards, but I can't see how anyone but realistically argue his accomplishments don't place him solidly with others who have been inducted.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:07 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
activeverb wrote:

Even with the injury issues, AD is a no-brainer Hall of Famer: 8 all-star, 4 all-defensive teams, top 4 MVP voting three times, 24-10 career average. According to Basketball Reference, he has a 98.5% probability. I can't see how anyone can seriously argue against him and maintain a straight face.

Sampson is a different category. I can only think he made it to the Hall based on his college career. He certainly doesn't merit it based on his pro career.

And that is why he will likely get in. Everything you posted except for the 24-10 average is based on popularity voting. The Hall is based on the same thing. I respect the play on the court when AD does manage to suit up but don’t really care about what sports writers think.

Obviously, any individual can use whatever criteria they want for who they think deserves to be a Hall of Famer.

I've known some people who would throw out 95% of the current Hall of Famers and limit the Hall to three inductees. To each their own.

You call MVP voting "a popularity contest." I call it a subjective decision based on personal and team success. Again, to each their own.

If we are staying in the real world, AD's career accomplishments clearly place him well within the standards for a Hall of Famer. You may not like those standards, but I can't see how anyone but realistically argue his accomplishments don't place him solidly with others who have been inducted.
I just hope if he does get his jersey retired it better be for a whole lot more than he's done so far. He needs at least 2 rings to even consider having that conversation
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
activeverb wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
activeverb wrote:

I just hope if he does get his jersey retired it better be for a whole lot more than he's done so far. He needs at least 2 rings to even consider having that conversation

My prediction is he will make it up to the rafters. I think the Lakers will decide that being a great player who was the #2 guy on a ring team is enough.

I think there could also be a political angle. If you are Jeanie and Rob (assuming they are still around), you probably want to retire the jersey of the guy you made the big trade to get just to affirm it was a good trade.

If you can justify retiring Gail Goodrich, simply because he somehow got into the Hall for mystifying reasons 17 years after he retired, you can justify anyone.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:40 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/kylegoon/status/1614798532699099136?s=46&t=nPilA59Mhko8S-bLKzlFpw
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:51 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
https://twitter.com/kylegoon/status/1614798532699099136?s=46&t=nPilA59Mhko8S-bLKzlFpw

but is he really going to come back this season???
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:14 pm    Post subject:

levon wrote:
ocho wrote:

but is he really going to come back this season???

If you play it at 1.25x speed he looks close to a comeback.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:35 am    Post subject:

with Goodrich and Wilkes you have to factor in the UCLA time as well, not that it should be a merit, but there is a bias towards LA guys i think. however, even without that, Goodrich was a 4x All Star with the Lakers, 1st team All NBA, led the 72 team in scoring, made 4 finals (2 as he leading scorer), and played 9 seasons for the Lakers.

Wilkes probably has the weakest claim of the guys that are already retired, but being #3 behind Kareem and Magic for 2 championships and a All Star + All Defense level guy deserves him a jersey retirement. he also played long enouhg (8 seasons) for the Lakers. not getting an All NBA team in eras with guys like Rick Barry, John Havlicek, Dr J, Larry Bird and other HOFs playing his position can be forgiven.

Gasol definitely deserves it too, and my guess is AD eventually gets his jersey retired as well. arguably the best player on a sole Lakers championship in forever gets it for him. All NBA and All Defense teams, coupled with All Star selections is a bonus. he only needs more playing time and maybe move up in the leader boards which will come with more time

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:52 pm    Post subject:

The latest insight on ESPN 710 is that AD is trying to come back with a few games to go before the all-star break. The break starts on about Feb 16th.
LakersForever
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:51 pm    Post subject:

Nice.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:01 pm    Post subject:

Per Buha

Darvin Ham says Anthony Davis has been ramping up with 30-minute, 45-minute and 1-hour on-court workouts. His shot has mainly been pain-free, according to Ham.

https://twitter.com/jovanbuha/status/1615891518526742528?s=46&t=FQllctiMGz9hh-X7e4r0Wg

I don't know if I know what that means. The other update said he's been mostly pain-free. I don't know what his shot has been mostly pain-free means.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:46 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
Per Buha

Darvin Ham says Anthony Davis has been ramping up with 30-minute, 45-minute and 1-hour on-court workouts. His shot has mainly been pain-free, according to Ham.

https://twitter.com/jovanbuha/status/1615891518526742528?s=46&t=FQllctiMGz9hh-X7e4r0Wg

I don't know if I know what that means. The other update said he's been mostly pain-free. I don't know what his shot has been mostly pain-free means.

Buha corrected himself. He meant to say his foot has mostly been pain free
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:04 pm    Post subject:

Please come back, and be healthy. The current defense is horrific w/o you.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:38 pm    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:
with Goodrich and Wilkes you have to factor in the UCLA time as well, not that it should be a merit, but there is a bias towards LA guys i think. however, even without that, Goodrich was a 4x All Star with the Lakers, 1st team All NBA, led the 72 team in scoring, made 4 finals (2 as he leading scorer), and played 9 seasons for the Lakers.

If you are saying Goodrich deserves to have his jersey retired because of his achievements as a Laker, then you are also making a case for Lebron.

-- They both won one ring as Lakers.
-- Goodrich was a 4-time all-star; Lebron will soon be a 5-time all-star.
-- Goodrich made one all-NBA team as a Laker; Lebron has made three.
-- Goodrich led the '72 ring team in scoring; Lebron led the '20 ring team in assists and won the finals MVP.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:38 am    Post subject:

Another year another extended time injury. This clown supposed to be franchise player I guess
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:35 am    Post subject:

Since the Title, AD has played 103 of 199 games. It's a tough go when your best player's availability is a coin toss.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:48 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Ramona Shelburne says Anthony Davis’ injury is similar to the one that caused Joel Embiid to miss 2 years and Yao Ming to end his career

He’s day to Davis but this is pretty ridiculous take from Ramona.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:10 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:

If you are saying Goodrich deserves to have his jersey retired because of his achievements as a Laker, then you are also making a case for Lebron.

-- They both won one ring as Lakers.
-- Goodrich was a 4-time all-star; Lebron will soon be a 5-time all-star.
-- Goodrich made one all-NBA team as a Laker; Lebron has made three.
-- Goodrich led the '72 ring team in scoring; Lebron led the '20 ring team in assists and won the finals MVP.

Lebron is a lock imo, but should be #23 because he won a ring with it

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:03 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Quote:
Ramona Shelburne says Anthony Davis’ injury is similar to the one that caused Joel Embiid to miss 2 years and Yao Ming to end his career

Ramona doesn’t know squat. She’s connected to no one these days and just makes crap up to feel relevant.
No one has compared AD’s injury to Embiid or Yao’s.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:26 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers star big man Anthony Davis had an encouraging practice session on Thursday, Dave McMenamin of ESPN tweets.

“He did jump in with the group today, did some non-contact stuff, pick-and-roll drills, a little offensive scripting,” head coach Darvin Ham said.
“He’s looking good. Moving well. … Got a great sweat in [during an] individual workout … He’s progressing really, really, really well.”

Davis has a general timeline of early February to suit up again. He has been out since December 16 after suffering a stress reaction in the navicular bone in his right foot.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:58 am    Post subject:

^^^ Dave also said that AD could be back to playing in games by next week.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:58 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Quote:

Ramona doesn’t know squat. She’s connected to no one these days and just makes crap up to feel relevant.
No one has compared AD’s injury to Embiid or Yao’s.

remember she is on ballmer payroll since Jeanie kicked her out
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:35 pm    Post subject:

!!!!!

Quote:
ESPN Sources: Los Angeles Lakers All-Star Anthony Davis continues to make pain-free progress on his right foot and there’s optimism of a return to the lineup as soon as late next week. The Lakers start a five-game trip on January 28 against Boston.

LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:47 pm    Post subject:

Great news.

Still skeptical that he won’t get hurt again this season. Prove everyone wrong AD.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:13 pm    Post subject:

just feels like a stress injury is one that will ultimately come back after a slate of games which turns into a pain tolerance deal. Hope he stays right.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:32 pm    Post subject:

The “pain free” news doesn’t mean that much to me. When Embiid had a stress fracture to his navicular bone he was reported to be pain free and was even seen running and dunking during pre-game while he was sitting out.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1264, 1265, 1266 ... 1423, 1424, 1425  Next
Page 1265 of 1425
Jump to: