The LEBRON JAMES Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1891, 1892, 1893 ... 2077, 2078, 2079  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:22 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
he is a bad defender.

DRaptor, DRPM, Defensive Rating all disagree.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:25 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
Halflife wrote:
epic_ wrote:
Halflife wrote:
He’s been baked since last year. His offense is good other than when it matters but his defense is horrible. That is with him not being asked to take tough assignments.

Top 15 in the league?

Probably and on any given night be “that guy” without Defense.

Defensive Rating of Rotation Guys (Lower is Better):

Nunn: 107.3 (WTF lol, garbage time?)
Gabriel: 109.1
AD: 109.9
Reaves: 111.3
JTA: 111.5
Lebron: 112.1
Christie: 112.1
Brown: 112.2
Russ: 113.8
Bev: 114.5
Walker: 115.2
Schroder: 115.8
Bryant: 118.4

Net Rating of Rotation Guys (Higher is better):

Wenyen: +3.7
AD: +2.7
Lebron: +2.3
Reaves: +2.1
Russ: +0.8
Brown: -0.8
Nunn: -0.9
Schroder: -1.5
Bev: -4.7
Bryant: -4.7
Christie: -5.3
Walker: -6.7
JTA: -8.6

DRaptor (Higher is better):

AD: +4
Lebron +2.3
Reaves: +1.6
Brown: -1
Russ: -1.2
Bev: -1.3
Walker: -2.5
Schroder: -3.3
Bryant: -5.6

Other Miscellaneous Stats:

ORPM: +4.86 (2nd in league amongst SF)
DRPM: +2.97 (9th in league amongst SF)
RPM: +7.83 (2nd in league amongst SF)
RAPTOR: +4.9 (5th amongst SF)

Does he take some plays off defensively? Of course he does, he's 38 years old and playing heavy minutes. But overall, he isn't a bad defender by any stretch.

he is a bad defender.

We get it. He's not what he once was on the defensive side.
How many players do you consider to not be "bad" on defense?
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:03 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:

We get it. He's not what he once was on the defensive side.
How many players do you consider to not be "bad" on defense?

LeBron is still a solid defender, as your stats show. He certainly has declined in that area and takes place off. He's done that for years. But he's a divisive figure with a lot of detractors. So they're always going to be people who declare him to be terrible no matter what the subject is. There really isn't much to say about that, unless you enjoy having a debate against sweeping generalizations.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:16 pm    Post subject:

Part of the reason his defense has been bad is because he gets minutes at center. At 38 he is no rim protector and teams get easy shots at the rim.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:58 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
Halflife wrote:
epic_ wrote:
Halflife wrote:
He’s been baked since last year. His offense is good other than when it matters but his defense is horrible. That is with him not being asked to take tough assignments.

Top 15 in the league?

Probably and on any given night be “that guy” without Defense.

Sweet. Good to have a top 15 guy.
Hopefully AD can get back healthy.
We should be able to do something with a top-15 and top-10 guy on the team.

But we haven’t for the last 3 years. And injuries is not an excuse - it’s part of who they are.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
epic_ wrote:

But we haven’t for the last 3 years. And injuries is not an excuse - it’s part of who they are.

A month ago, I scoffed at the idea that the West was wide open. I thought that several teams would get it together and pull away. This has not happened. As I write this, we're two games out of the #6 seed, which is currently held by the TWolves, believe it or not. The only team in the middle that is showing signs of life is the Thunder, believe it or not (again). On paper, there are a bunch of teams between us and the #6 seed. But it is imminently doable.

I agree that injuries are not an excuse. But I also agree that Lebron and Davis have the potential to move us up the ladder quickly in this conference. It may be naively optimistic, but you can see a scenario in which we slip into the #6 seed and get a winnable series against the Kings in the first round.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:19 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Snipes wrote:
epic_ wrote:

A month ago, I scoffed at the idea that the West was wide open. I thought that several teams would get it together and pull away. This has not happened. As I write this, we're two games out of the #6 seed, which is currently held by the TWolves, believe it or not. The only team in the middle that is showing signs of life is the Thunder, believe it or not (again). On paper, there are a bunch of teams between us and the #6 seed. But it is imminently doable.

I agree that injuries are not an excuse. But I also agree that Lebron and Davis have the potential to move us up the ladder quickly in this conference. It may be naively optimistic, but you can see a scenario in which we slip into the #6 seed and get a winnable series against the Kings in the first round.

Yup and each day the FO sits on their ass... That window gets smaller.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:04 am    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Snipes wrote:
epic_ wrote:

Yup and each day the FO sits on their ass... That window gets smaller.

I’m trying really hard to be as optimistic as you are being.

On paper, I agree it looks very doable. IF Davis and James can be healthy the last 36 games. IF they continue to hit shots and avoid the boneheaded losses. IF any fantasy trade improves the team instead of dropping disrupting what little chemistry they have developed. IF the team can get a couple win streaks going and have 7-3 stretches the rest of the way.

Then sure, they might be able to gain the two games in the standings. IF the teams in front of them continue to play sub .500 ball.

All for the privilege of attempting to remain healthy and play at a playoff level intensity for a series of two in an attempt to get to 16 wins first.

Why does it sound so differently and less optimistic when I say it?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:52 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
I’m trying really hard to be as optimistic as you are being.

On paper, I agree it looks very doable. IF Davis and James can be healthy the last 36 games. IF they continue to hit shots and avoid the boneheaded losses. IF any fantasy trade improves the team instead of dropping disrupting what little chemistry they have developed. IF the team can get a couple win streaks going and have 7-3 stretches the rest of the way.

Then sure, they might be able to gain the two games in the standings. IF the teams in front of them continue to play sub .500 ball.

All for the privilege of attempting to remain healthy and play at a playoff level intensity for a series of two in an attempt to get to 16 wins first.

Why does it sound so differently and less optimistic when I say it?

I choose to be an optimist about these things. The alternative is to be a bitter defeatist. If things go bad, we'll have plenty of time to be pissed off about it. For now, the glass is half full.

For everything that has gone wrong, from injuries to front office blunders, we are still within sniffing distance of a seeded playoff spot. For all of the predictable whining about Ham, he has the team playing hard and actually getting better as the season goes on, despite the injuries. We're still winning games without Davis and Reaves, for heaven's sake. As of right now, we're .500 without Davis and also .500 without Reaves.

Most importantly, the rest of the conference has continued to tread water. I really thought that the Clippers, Warriors, and Suns would get it together and pull away. All of those teams have injury issues, but they're still underperforming. As of right now, a .500 record gets you into a tie for the sixth seed. Can this team -- without any big trades -- get above .500 by the end of the season? Yes, we can.

This doesn't mean that .500 will still be good enough for the sixth seed by the end of the season, of course. But it might be. For now, 42-40 is a plausible goal. That means 21-15 down the stretch, with a healthy Lebron, Davis, and Reaves. Does that sound like too much? Well, after the 2-10 start, we went 19-15 to get to this point, and that's with the big injuries. If we can stay reasonably healthy the rest of the way (I know, big "if"), we can do it.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:24 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
Halflife wrote:
he is a bad defender.

You won't be getting a reply.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:30 am    Post subject:

levon wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
Halflife wrote:
he is a bad defender.

You will. What’s the point? We can all see his defense. Just follow along in game threads. Last year the broadcast crew on ESPN during a game practically made a segment of his laziness on D.

The mavs game he ran from Luka. He’s a bad defender he has a decent rating because all he does is float.

Its not just me. His talking heads like RJ, SAS, perk etc. all say "at his age you cant expect him to play both ends"
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:26 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
levon wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
Halflife wrote:
he is a bad defender.

You will. What’s the point? We can all see his defense. Just follow along in game threads. Last year the broadcast crew on ESPN during a game practically made a segment of his laziness on D.

The mavs game he ran from Luka. He’s a bad defender he has a decent rating because all he does is float.

Its not just me. His talking heads like RJ, SAS, perk etc. all say "at his age you cant expect him to play both ends"

He isn’t great but that’s to be expected. He’s already doing more than he should at his age…he isn’t a robot. He’s playing better than anyone could’ve hoped for the last few years
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:05 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
Halflife wrote:
he is a bad defender.

How do those ratings include giving no effort to stop a player driving for a layup? We see that often when Lebron is forced to play center, the Rocket game was a layup line. I agree with those that say Lebron should never be in that position and realize that he is old, but a little resistance would be nice.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:26 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
Halflife wrote:
he is a bad defender.

How do those ratings include giving no effort to stop a player driving for a layup? We see that often when Lebron is forced to play center, the Rocket game was a layup line. I agree with those that say Lebron should never be in that position and realize that he is old, but a little resistance would be nice.

Lebron's sheer size and basketball IQ make him a positive defender even in his diminished state. This includes not getting posterized and giving away cheap free throws while playing center. When we play that lineup, if an opponent gets a straight-line drive to the basket, the opponent wins.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:32 pm    Post subject:

Adam Silver Says Lakers Games Will Be Broadcast Globally As LeBron James Approaches Scoring Record

Quote:
Silver assured reporters the league will not whiff when LeBron James passes Kareem Abdul-Jabbar as the NBA’s all-time leading points champion.
The game in which it happens will get not only a national but a global TV audience with ceremonies during and after.

With a gap of 260 points and at James’ 29.6 scoring average, it is likely James (38,104) will catch and pass Abdul-Jabbar (38,387) in the first half of February.
That would enable the league to use All-Star Weekend in Salt Lake City as “the perfect opportunity to honor him.”

https://lakersnation.com/adam-silver-says-lakers-games-will-be-broadcast-globally-as-lebron-james-approaches-scoring-record/2023/01/22/
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:13 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers Lead (@) LakersLead

MOST 4TH QUARTER POINTS THIS SEASON

🥇LEBRON JAMES - 319
🥈Kyrie Irving - 302
🥉De’Aaron Fox - 302

https://twitter.com/LakersLead/status/1617290383888719874
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:23 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Quote:
Lakers Lead _at_ LakersLead

🥇LEBRON JAMES - 319
🥈Kyrie Irving - 302
🥉De’Aaron Fox - 302

Bron leads the league?
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:32 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
Halflife wrote:
he is a bad defender.

They show that despite that he's still having a positive impact defensively. I don't think anyone should realistically expect Lebron to be a rim protecting center. He shouldn't be put in that position.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:34 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Quote:
Lakers Lead @ LakersLead

🥇LEBRON JAMES - 319
🥈Kyrie Irving - 302
🥉De’Aaron Fox - 302

Bron leads the league?

YEP!
https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask?q=who+has+scored+the+most+4th-quarter+points+this+season#:~:text=Giannis%20Antetokounmpo%20and%20DeMar%20DeRozan,this%20season%2C%20with%20276%20points.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:33 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
Halflife wrote:
he is a bad defender.

They show that despite that he's still having a positive impact defensively. I don't think anyone should realistically expect Lebron to be a rim protecting center. He shouldn't be put in that position.

Well, not to mention there's more than 1 or 2 defensive possessions in a game. And the haters love to point to those 1 or 2 plays. Unfortunately no one views every possession.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
levon wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
Halflife wrote:
he is a bad defender.

Okay, correction: they won't get a coherent reply based on any real evidence besides "trust me, bro".
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:29 pm    Post subject:

So nice when the role players hit threes down the stretch. Surgical 2nd half.

Dame is a beast, but he's also an easy target for LeBron to hunt down the stretch.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:55 pm    Post subject:

PenG_ wrote:
So nice when the role players hit threes down the stretch. Surgical 2nd half.

Dame is a beast, but he's also an easy target for LeBron to hunt down the stretch.

Lebron's gonna go hunting late game in the playoffs.
Get ready.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:56 pm    Post subject:

Lebron is slowly adjusting to controlling the pace by playing in transition. He isn’t the athlete he once was, and that hurts him/us in the half court…but he is still a monster in the open court.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:17 pm    Post subject:

Yet another amazing performance by the KING!!
He was unstoppable in the 2nd half.

STATS: 37 points, 11 Rbs, 4 assists, 2 Blks.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1891, 1892, 1893 ... 2077, 2078, 2079  Next
Page 1892 of 2079
Jump to: