DENNIS SCHRÖDER - Toronto (2yr, $26M)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 262, 263, 264 ... 282, 283, 284  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:42 am    Post subject:

Schroder has his flaws (lack of size, even for a point guard, below average 3 pt shooting) but he may be the only other player than AD which has both LeBrons and Coach Ham’s trust. These big plays at the end cement his role, for better or worse.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:58 am    Post subject:

DS should be our 6th man, WB for a Hield/Turner woulda been perfect
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:24 am    Post subject:

This is why I want this guy, Reaves and even Bryant back. There's some potential for a 4-6 seed with these kind of role players. When Dennis goes off we play very well. He has the legit proven ability in the league to be a 15 ppg starter and a 2-way guy.

He hasn't had a great season, especially by the metrics, but the level is there. The Lakers need some roster continuity, if they are not planning on moving Lebron/AD in the summer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:17 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

Who's your POA guard? Pat?
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:34 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
governator wrote:

Who's your POA guard? Pat?

I actually think
DS/WB - back up PG
LW/PatBev - back up 'other guard'
T.Brown/JTA - back up wing
Wenyen - back up big
T.Bryant - back up/borderline starter stretch big

If I have to pick, DS for now
spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Loved Dennis playing the Smush AND Kobe role from regulation ending of Game 4 against the Suns in 2006. Dennis got the steal and the finish himself whereas Smush had the steal and Kobe the finish. Even had Mike Breen on the call for both of them. Plus Kobe should have probably gotten a 3-point play out of it like Dennis did, though it simply set up the heroics for OT.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:47 am    Post subject:

It feels like Dennis may be the Lakers planned long term (multi year) starter at point. The stories about his relationship with Ham, the fact that Pelinka made him a big acquisition a couple years ago. He’s started in 29 of the 32 games he’s played.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:59 am    Post subject:

Here's an article from Goon about the relationship between Ham and Schroder. I liked this anecdote from their days with the Hawks:

Quote:
The timing is somewhat inexact, but both men agree it happened during Schröder’s second season after the Atlanta Hawks selected him 17th overall in the 2013 NBA Draft. Then 21, Schröder came to Darvin Ham steaming: He had spent a full offseason in Atlanta, not so much as flying home to Germany over the summer, but he hadn’t cracked the starting lineup. Just a year into his burgeoning NBA career, Schröder was ready for the nuclear option.

“He came into my office talking, ‘To hell with this (expletive), D-Ham. I ain’t come here for this,’” Ham recalled to Southern California News Group. “‘I ain’t come here to sit.’”

Ham, then a Hawks assistant coach, said the two should get chicken noodle soup, and with a warm lunch, Schröder got a serving of cold, hard perspective: “(Dennis) was like, ‘Trade me.’ And I was like, ‘Where you wanna go?’”

https://www.ocregister.com/2023/01/21/dennis-schroder-rejoined-lakers-for-darvin-ham-and-chance-to-make-it-right/
Killer_Z
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:40 pm    Post subject:

The redemption tour continues ...... that's back to back wins we could not have taken down without Schro.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:16 am    Post subject:

That 84m contract would have been an overpay, sure. But we would be heading into year #3 of 4, and I think he and LBJ have a really good working relationship. Couple that with his familiarity and comfort with Ham and it makes sense.

Probably unlikely we can hold onto him. But say the Lakers get Bojan, then we could theoretically have up to 12-14m in cap space. Lakers may throw some of that to either Dennis or Bryant. Then you have the room exception too.

But I don't think it would have been as disastrous as some made it out to be if we extended him to that deal. We wouldn't have traded for Russ. Possibly kept Kuz/KCP/Trezz/22nd pick/AC (or deployed them for other matching pieces).

I like redemption stories. Dwight coming back took a lot of guts. Dennis coming back took a lot of guts too. But job's not nearly finished so let's hope he can continue the redemption journey this year.
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:05 am    Post subject:

Guy plays well with LBJ, always has. I like him, hope we can find a way to keep him in the offseason.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:24 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
That 84m contract would have been an overpay, sure. But we would be heading into year #3 of 4, and I think he and LBJ have a really good working relationship. Couple that with his familiarity and comfort with Ham and it makes sense.

Probably unlikely we can hold onto him. But say the Lakers get Bojan, then we could theoretically have up to 12-14m in cap space. Lakers may throw some of that to either Dennis or Bryant. Then you have the room exception too.

But I don't think it would have been as disastrous as some made it out to be if we extended him to that deal. We wouldn't have traded for Russ. Possibly kept Kuz/KCP/Trezz/22nd pick/AC (or deployed them for other matching pieces).

I like redemption stories. Dwight coming back took a lot of guts. Dennis coming back took a lot of guts too. But job's not nearly finished so let's hope he can continue the redemption journey this year.

I agree. I think the 84m would have been relatively good for both parties. Saves us from Russ..and the comfort level for Dennis is there in a Laker uniform.
Reds622
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:32 am    Post subject:

Schroder with an 84 million dollar contract would probably be one of the worst contracts in the league.

But this Schroder I like. He’s playing well.. you have to keep playing him big minutes and in crunch time.

He’ll probably get a nice 8-10 or so million dollar deal somewhere. Depending on the Lakers cap situation I wouldn’t have a problem giving that to him on a 2-3 year deal.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:33 am    Post subject:

is it a stretch to say he has been our most clutch player this year?
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:41 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:

More than Bron?
I guess it depends on your definition of clutch?
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:51 am    Post subject:

Yinoma will be 84 years old himself and still justifying that 84 million dollar contract on this board.

I'm glad Schroder is playing well, and I'm open to signing him next year... but it still doesn't change the fact that it was too much.

He have to play like he has been recently for 75% of the season to justify that salary and so far he hasn't been able to do it.

If he starts being consistent... then sure I'll change my mind about it.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:10 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

More than Bron?
I guess it depends on your definition of clutch?

yeah, in some ways. Bron has been great this season, but hasn't been clutch at all. DS makes a lot of plays and also is automatic from the line.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:58 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
Yinoma will be 84 years old himself and still justifying that 84 million dollar contract on this board.

There are worst contracts for sure than that. But it wasn't never about the contract. Everyone knew it would be an overpay. The question was how much of an overpay, and how much leverage did he have. Keep in mind that number was only starting at $5m more or so than Schroder had been making.

If the Lakers resigned Schroder they wouldn't have traded for Russ. They would have gone into that summer with:

Trez's expiring contract
Money to resign Caruso
Kuzma under contract
KCP under contract
1st round pick

They could have still turned around and traded those guys and brought back assets to fill the point guard role. Instead, they wound up losing all of that, and having Westbrook basically give them Schroder level performance the next season for more than double the cost.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:09 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:

I'm glad Schroder is playing well, and I'm open to signing him next year... but it still doesn't change the fact that it was too much.

He have to play like he has been recently for 75% of the season to justify that salary and so far he hasn't been able to do it.

If that meant no Russ, and keeping Kuz/KCP/Trezz/22nd pick powder dry to keep or trade, absolutely. Dennis works with LBJ/AD, while Russ doesn't. It's pretty simple man.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:30 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

If that meant no Russ, and keeping Kuz/KCP/Trezz/22nd pick powder dry to keep or trade, absolutely. Dennis works with LBJ/AD, while Russ doesn't. It's pretty simple man.

In this make believe scenario, I choose the one where we don't sign Dennis to 84M and we don't trade for Russ.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:32 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

In this make believe scenario, I choose the one where we don't sign Dennis to 84M and we don't trade for Russ.

We really didn't need to make the drastic Russ trade is my point. And we'd already be in year 3 of Dennis's 4 year deal (and you'd have continued continuity with LBJ/AD). I think Dennis works better WITH LBJ/AD than Russ. Russ works better with LBJ or AD, but not both.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:01 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:

Yes, maybe, but not by much. Reeves is up there. Thomas Bryant is mid-game clutch. And believe it or not, Westbrook has hit some key free throws and made some key rebounds.

DS is a poor man's DFish; undersized and not a natural shooter, but scrappy on defense and capable of making the big play at that critical time. We'll see, tho'.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:53 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

Do people think Russ played here for free? We paid him over 84m in the two years he’s here. Make it make sense. I’ll take Dennis 4/84 over Russ 2/90 and get to keep our pieces or use them for a trade that got us maybe Hield and Turner.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:55 pm    Post subject:

Schro's block on Poeltl was a sight to see!
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:55 pm    Post subject:

Schro's block on Poeltl was a sight to see!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 262, 263, 264 ... 282, 283, 284  Next
Page 263 of 284
Jump to: