LeBron James: Countdown to the NBA Scoring Record (CONGRATULATIONS! RECORD BROKEN!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:55 am    Post subject:

I would imagine the game where LeBron breaks the record will be a nationally televised game. Don't they have the ability to swap in/out games that way?
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:13 am    Post subject:

you guys think Doncic can last another 1000-1100 games in the NBA? at a close to 30ppg average for the rest of his career, he might be the next one to get to 40k.

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:22 am    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:
you guys think Doncic can last another 1000-1100 games in the NBA? at a close to 30ppg average for the rest of his career, he might be the next one to get to 40k.

No I don't, he doesn't currently have the kind of body, and the kind of body-discipline, that Kareem/Lebron/Malone have had.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:02 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:

No I don't, he doesn't currently have the kind of body, and the kind of body-discipline, that Kareem/Lebron/Malone have had.

well there has been 21 guys other than 3 with 1300 games or more. and 45 other guys with 1200+ games. all of them not exactly examples of taking care of their bodies i imagine

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:33 am    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:

Doncic answered that question. No.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/35426366/luka-heir-nba-eventual-points-king-now-just-amazed-watching-lebron
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:49 am    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:

well there has been 21 guys other than 3 with 1300 games or more. and 45 other guys with 1200+ games. all of them not exactly examples of taking care of their bodies i imagine

But you specified someone playing at a high level, averaging 30 ppg. So Games Played isn't really the best stat. Robert Parish and Vince Carter racked up a lot of GPs after they were diminished, part-time players.

Minutes played is a better stat for this purpose. Who are the top 3? KAJ, Malone, and Lebron. At this point, Luka has about 10,000 MPs. KAJ has over 57,000, and Lebron may pass him if he plays two more healthy years. Luka is averaging under 2500 MPs/season. At that rate, he would need to play over 18 more seasons to get into the ballpark with KAJ, Malone, and Lebron.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:56 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:

But you specified someone playing at a high level, averaging 30 ppg. So Games Played isn't really the best stat. Robert Parish and Vince Carter racked up a lot of GPs after they were diminished, part-time players.

Minutes played is a better stat for this purpose. Who are the top 3? KAJ, Malone, and Lebron. At this point, Luka has about 10,000 MPs. KAJ has over 57,000, and Lebron may pass him if he plays two more healthy years. Luka is averaging under 2500 MPs/season. At that rate, he would need to play over 18 more seasons to get into the ballpark with KAJ, Malone, and Lebron.

isnt Doncic racking up 30ppg? hes entering his prime averaging 33ppg right now. 5-6 years of that puts him in pole position to eventually get there. ofcourse he needs to stay (major) injury free as well

as for minutes, hes probably finishing with a higher career ppg than either of them, not sure less minutes will affect him that much

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:13 am    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:

isnt Doncic racking up 30ppg? hes entering his prime averaging 33ppg right now. 5-6 years of that puts him in pole position to eventually get there. ofcourse he needs to stay (major) injury free as well

as for minutes, hes probably finishing with a higher career ppg than either of them, not sure less minutes will affect him that much

Points per game don't matter if you don't play enough games. I understand where you're coming from, but you need to think of this in terms of math. Luka doesn't play 82 games per year. He is averaging about 1800 points per season and about 65 games. At his current pace, he would need to play over 20 years to get in the ballpark with KAJ and Lebron. If you assume that he is going to average 82 games and 33 points per game (2706 points per season), then sure, he could get there. That's not going to happen.

MP works as a qualitative measure. To keep getting lots of MPs as you age, you need to be playing at a high level. This is why KAJ, Malone, and Lebron are so different from Parish and Carter. Parish and Carter are 1st and 3rd in GPs, but 17th and 20th in MPs.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:39 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:

Points per game don't matter if you don't play enough games. I understand where you're coming from, but you need to think of this in terms of math. Luka doesn't play 82 games per year. He is averaging about 1800 points per season and about 65 games. At his current pace, he would need to play over 20 years to get in the ballpark with KAJ and Lebron. If you assume that he is going to average 82 games and 33 points per game (2706 points per season), then sure, he could get there. That's not going to happen.

MP works as a qualitative measure. To keep getting lots of MPs as you age, you need to be playing at a high level. This is why KAJ, Malone, and Lebron are so different from Parish and Carter. Parish and Carter are 1st and 3rd in GPs, but 17th and 20th in MPs.

why dont you take this season and project it to the coming seasons tho? hes now at 33ppg, nothing tells me he will score any less in the following seasons (or you think he wont be taking 20+ shots at good efficiency? unless hes teammates with anoother ball dominant guy, i dont see him shoot or score less), and chances are he might even get to the Harden production of a couple of years ago with 35+. just from pure growth and aging/entering prime years alone. so half a decade of that puts him in prime position to eventually get there, even at 65-70 games a year. then after that it will depend on how long he will play and how well he paces himself for his 30s. the article you posted makes it unlikely from the point that he doesnt seem to want to play long enough, but if he does play long enough, i think he can do it. maybe not catch James but Kareem i think he would

governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:00 am    Post subject:

The most efficient volume scorer since MJ is prob KD and he's at like 27ppg (amazingly so is Bron), to avg 30+ppg for the career is a tall tall order
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:15 am    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:
why dont you take this season and project it to the coming seasons tho?

Why not take Kobe's 35 ppg season and project it to the coming seasons? I don't mean that in a snarky way. The point is that you don't just assume that someone can sustain peak production for 15 years. Kobe's ppg dropped once he had a better supporting cast, even before he got hurt. Michael Jordan averaged 35 ppg at about the same age as Luka, but his ppg dropped once he had a better supporting cast.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:23 am    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:

why dont you take this season and project it to the coming seasons tho? hes now at 33ppg, nothing tells me he will score any less in the following seasons (or you think he wont be taking 20+ shots at good efficiency?

Luka is having a career year so far, averaging 5 points more a game than his next best season, and has played in about 90% of the Mavericks games.

Could he repeat those two things over the next 5 to 6 years? Theoretically, sure. If someone wanted to put money down on that happening, I would very happily take the other side of the bet.

Heck, I would be happy to bet against him averaging 33.7 ppg. and playing 90% of the games for just the rest of this season.

And that's why he won't break the record -- the margin of error is too small. The likelihood of sustained excellence and sustained health and a long period of time is unlikely.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:47 am    Post subject:

Very few stars can maintain that highest level year in and year out.

Jordan's high was 37.1, his second best was 35, and third best 33.6, then 32.6.

Kobe's high was 35.4, but his second and third best were 31.6 and 30.

Durant's top three were 32, 30.1, and 29.9.

Lebron's were 31.4, 30.3 (last season), and 30.

Harden had his 36.1, and after that his best were 34.3 and 30.4.

I'm sure long term Luka would prefer to get more help around him and his scoring numbers will drop as he does. He certainly has the talent, but you also need to be able to stay healthy over a long career. This is a guy whose been playing professionally since he was 16.

Kareem, Lebron, and Malone were all iron man. Aside from his broken leg, so was Jordan. He lost some years though to retirement and baseball. Kobe wasn't exactly an iron man, but he played through injuries that most other guys wouldn't.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:06 pm    Post subject:

Adam Silver Says Lakers Games Will Be Broadcast Globally As LeBron James Approaches Scoring Record

Quote:
Silver assured reporters the league will not whiff when LeBron James passes Kareem Abdul-Jabbar as the NBA’s all-time leading points champion.
The game in which it happens will get not only a national but a global TV audience with ceremonies during and after.

With a gap of 260 points and at James’ 29.6 scoring average, it is likely James (38,104) will catch and pass Abdul-Jabbar (38,387) in the first half of February.
That would enable the league to use All-Star Weekend in Salt Lake City as “the perfect opportunity to honor him.”

https://lakersnation.com/adam-silver-says-lakers-games-will-be-broadcast-globally-as-lebron-james-approaches-scoring-record/2023/01/22/
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:57 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
February 7th vs OKC or February 9th vs Mil (national TV game) might be the record breaking time.

I stand by my prediction, and I hope he breaks it at home
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:04 pm    Post subject:

I think Luka's ability to score will suffer when he can no longer elevate like he does.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:07 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
I think Luka's ability to score will suffer when he can no longer elevate like he does.

I partially agree with this, Luka is more athletic than he looks but I think his game will age like wine. He reads the defense really really welll, Bron/Jokic territory and he’s legit PF size
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:31 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

I partially agree with this, Luka is more athletic than he looks but I think his game will age like wine. He reads the defense really really welll, Bron/Jokic territory and he’s legit PF size

I mean Luka's scoring numbers for his first five years (hasn't finished his fifth year yet) are virtually the same.

His shooting numbers, his rebounding, his passing numbers are all better at year five.

He has to stay healthy and win four or five titles to be considered as great, but I don't know why people automatically assume LBJ's record is untouchable.

Luka vs. LBJ
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:25 am    Post subject:

Updated the OP. Looks like LeBron is on pace to break the record at home versus OKC on 2/7.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:32 pm    Post subject:

I wish it could be at home with a sky hook.
But it's looking like it'll be a road game. Maybe against the hated Pelis.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:36 pm    Post subject:

I don’t care where it is or whom it’s against, it needs to be in a win. He passed Malone last year against the Wizards and we lost in an epic collapse.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:11 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
governator wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

I mean Luka's scoring numbers for his first five years (hasn't finished his fifth year yet) are virtually the same.

His shooting numbers, his rebounding, his passing numbers are all better at year five.

He has to stay healthy and win four or five titles to be considered as great, but I don't know why people automatically assume LBJ's record is untouchable.

Luka vs. LBJ

No records untouchable. But after LeBron breaks the scoring record, for someone to break his record will take probably 22 plus years high level play.

Luka as good as he is is only in the sixth year of his career. This isn't even going to become a realistic discussion for another 10 years.
ThreePointBomber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:32 pm    Post subject:

PenG_ wrote:
Lebron is so radioactive on this forum that in order to celebrate something one must simultaneously express their indifference. Too funny.

People hate to admit he's the GOAT

Plays all 5 positions at HOF level.
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:18 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
I wish it could be at home with a sky hook.

Oh man! Wouldn't that be sweet! What an awesome tribute that would be.
Barry Seal
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:54 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
PenG_ wrote:
Lebron is so radioactive on this forum that in order to celebrate something one must simultaneously express their indifference. Too funny.

You trade away players that fans like and there is a cost for that in terms of fan good will.

All would be forgiven if we won... but when we are struggling, it's hard to get excited.

Remember old Lakers fans grew up watching the success of the 33 game winning streak with West, Goodrich, and Chamberlain

They grew up watching Showtime's five titles

They grew up watching Kobe Shaq and then Kobe Gasol

It's not as fun watching LBJ/AD so far.

If we were in the playoffs every year then you'd see a better attitude.

You love LBJ first so it has a different meaning for you... nothing wrong with that but you shouldn't expect Lakers fans to feel the same as LBJ fans.

What? LOL
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: