What if the Lakers walked off the court?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:43 am    Post subject:

What is Jeanie Buss doing to protect the Lakers from corrupt officiating?
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:46 am    Post subject:

I would be entertained! I encourage this move.

Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:08 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:

I agree! Where is the Laker organization response?

Being critical of the multiple times the refs admitted they screwed up to close out games should not even be an issue. What is the point of the two min reports or replay if it does not change the outcome of the mistake?

It is costing the Lakers organization potential playoff opportunities and millions of dollars. An owner or GM should be responding to these frustrations and supporting their players.

Screw the fine the league likely gives. Appeal it and make it public every time the league calls to tell them to stop or to increase the fine.

Advocate for sensible replay guidelines to stop this issue for the Lakers and the rest of the league. Get the calls right.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:12 am    Post subject:

There's only one thing to do, win the chip. All these small ding a ling energy bish-ing just gonna make it worse
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:16 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
troy wrote:

Being critical of the multiple times the refs admitted they screwed up to close out games should not even be an issue. What is the point of the two min reports or replay if it does not change the outcome of the mistake?

It is costing the Lakers organization potential playoff opportunities and millions of dollars. An owner or GM should be responding to these frustrations and supporting their players.

Screw the fine the league likely gives. Appeal it and make it public every time the league calls to tell them to stop or to increase the fine.

Advocate for sensible replay guidelines to stop this issue for the Lakers and the rest of the league. Get the calls right.

There are last 2 minute reports for every game and calls often go against teams, despite the hand wringing here the Lakers aren’t the only one. I am sure that the league treats them as a teaching tool but human error will never be eliminated. Lebron has come out of this as a whiner, Laker fans have become whiners, I would prefer that the organization stays above that publicly.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:25 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
troy wrote:

There are last 2 minute reports for every game and calls often go against teams, despite the hand wringing here the Lakers aren’t the only one. I am sure that the league treats them as a teaching tool but human error will never be eliminated. Lebron has come out of this as a whiner, Laker fans have become whiners, I would prefer that the organization stays above that publicly.

Lobby the league to improve the rules so if a challenge is successful the lobbying team can challenge again. Balances the needs of the league (avoid needless game interruptions and keep the product an attractive product) with the needs of teams/fans who want games decided fairly and correctly. Now picture how this one little change would have impacted the games fans (particularly Laker fans) have the biggest complaints about.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:29 am    Post subject:

It bears repeating but the play that people are complaining about couldn’t be challenged, there was no call to challenge.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:31 am    Post subject:

What is the point of the two min reports or replay if it does not change the outcome of the mistake?

Officiating errors have been part of the game since Naismith hung the old peach basket. The point of the two-minute reports is to give an official answer to some of the controversies. If we didn't have them, then people would be saying that "The league will never admit that its officials got that call wrong!" In fact, people used to say this all the time. Conversely, the two-minute reports tell us that some of the calls were correct even though people are complaining about them. It makes for better discourse, though it won't change the outcome of games.

It would be interesting if the league released the full 48 minutes for a few games. That's way too much data for anyone to review on a regular basis, but it would be interesting from a nerdy perspective to watch a game with the 48-minute report in hand.

As it is, I skim over the last two minute reports every now and then. I hope that someone from the Lakers is doing the same thing, only with much more attention to detail. You can see that some things have become points of emphasis for the league. For example, I've now seen two reports that gave an INC for lane violations by guards who crossed the three-point line on free throw attempts. This is part of the league's way of telling officials that they need to start watching for it.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:46 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
It bears repeating but the play that people are complaining about couldn’t be challenged, there was no call to challenge.

I didn't forget that. What people are forgetting is that there was at least one other call prior to that that (the foul call on AD) that would likely have been overturned if the Lakers had been able to appeal.
Secondly, there was a reason I used the phrase "... games fans (particularly Laker fans) have the biggest complaints about." Harken back to at least 2-3 prior games where the league acknowledged bad calls, and really, check out the vociferous complaints by fans of other teams in other close games.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:57 am    Post subject:

On a play like that it would take 30 secs to review and see the call should have been made. They don't really want to correct the refs.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:28 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
On a play like that it would take 30 secs to review and see the call should have been made. They don't really want to correct the refs.

There was no call to review.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:54 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
defense wrote:

End of game play. Check to see if a no call was correct. I'm sure you could figure that out on your own.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:00 pm    Post subject:

we were up by 7 with a couple of minutes left in regulation when they beat us in LA in overtime. Why is the outrage over refs so much worse than our own players?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:01 pm    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I didn't forget that. What people are forgetting is that there was at least one other call prior to that that (the foul call on AD) that would likely have been overturned if the Lakers had been able to appeal.
Secondly, there was a reason I used the phrase "... games fans (particularly Laker fans) have the biggest complaints about." Harken back to at least 2-3 prior games where the league acknowledged bad calls, and really, check out the vociferous complaints by fans of other teams in other close games.

I think the real bottom line is that it's incredibly hard to come up with a review system for basketball that balances getting the call right and not slowing down the game so much that it significantly detracts from the entertainment value.

The "acceptable" error rate for human beings refereeing an NBA game is probably much higher than the league wants to admit.

People have been struggling with this for years, if not decades, and no one's come up with a workable solution. This isn't a new problem. It just seems like a bigger problem because people can now access video of every game, and watch every play in slow motion if they like.

Maybe 50 years from now, if the NBA still exists in the form itis now, the game will be officiated by robots who are getting thousands of camera feeds that are instantly being analyzed by powerful computers. In the present day, this latest episode will cause headlines and consternation for a while, and the league might implement some cosmetic changes.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:16 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
defense wrote:

End of game play. Check to see if a no call was correct. I'm sure you could figure that out on your own.

It should really be the default procedure. Every potential "game winning" play should be reviewed.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:57 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
defense wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
defense wrote:

It should really be the default procedure. Every potential "game winning" play should be reviewed.

That is my inferred point.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:49 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
defense wrote:

It’s hard though because it isn’t really an end of game play. There was still time on the clock. If the Lakers block a layup with 3 seconds left in a game and run down the court and hit a game winning 3, do we want the other team to be able to review the block? And how does it play out? Do we stop the game and the fast break to review? Or do we let it play out and if it is deemed a foul occurred, we revert back to the time of game where the foul occurred and everything after that is wiped away?

I think it creates a situation where the officials will always have to blow the whistle and then review to see if any fouls or violations happened.

I hate seeing bad calls or bad non calls that ultimately decide games but the alternatives seem even worse.
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:08 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
defense wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
defense wrote:

Yes, any last play that decides a game should be reviewed to make sure they got it right. Way too many mistakes are made. And teams should keep their challenge if they use it and a call is overturned.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:12 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
defense wrote:

So you review every pass, dribble, shot, etc that happens at the end of the game? People are trying to make games that not many watch now even more unwatchable.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:17 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
defense wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
defense wrote:

So you review every pass, dribble, shot, etc that happens at the end of the game? People are trying to make games that not many watch now even more unwatchable.

This is reminding me of the battles over VAR in soccer. A lot of us thought that VAR was going to improve the game. At least up to this point, it's been more of a negative than a positive. It may eventually turn out okay, but man, there have been a lot of low points.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:21 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
The entire nation actually felt bad for us, which is rare.

It's one game... we "beat" the Celtics with everyone except Bron and Bev playing below their normal abilities.

For me, it's about picking up the pieces and winning about 2/3 of the rest of the games.

That's what I'm talking about. LET'S DO THIS LAKERS!!!

That's what it should be about but sadly I think the Lakers are going in the other direction. Did you see the end of overtime? They looked like they lost the will to win...then we hear that both LBJ and AD are sitting out the next game. Perhaps they are really injured, perhaps they have lost the will to fight.

I think the way they quit in overtime and they way they are sitting out the next game is an indication of how they are going to approach the rest of the season...quit.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:23 pm    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
pio2u wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
The entire nation actually felt bad for us, which is rare.

It's one game... we "beat" the Celtics with everyone except Bron and Bev playing below their normal abilities.

For me, it's about picking up the pieces and winning about 2/3 of the rest of the games.

That's what I'm talking about. LET'S DO THIS LAKERS!!!

That's what it should be about but sadly I think the Lakers are going in the other direction. Did you see the end of overtime? They looked like they lost the will to win...then we hear that both LBJ and AD are sitting out the next game. Perhaps they are really injured, perhaps they have lost the will to fight.

I think the way they quit in overtime and they way they are sitting out the next game is an indication of how they are going to approach the rest of the season...quit.

I don't know if you can judge by overtime. Go re-watch the OT against the Celtics in LA. Same thing. our two guys gave up early. We still have a chance but sitting out games against an inferior team doesn't help.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:27 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
defense wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
defense wrote:

This is reminding me of the battles over VAR in soccer. A lot of us thought that VAR was going to improve the game. At least up to this point, it's been more of a negative than a positive. It may eventually turn out okay, but man, there have been a lot of low points.

I’m all for improving the officiating but we have to realize that doing something positive has so many variables that it is difficult. As in your example, a change might work in certain situations but not in others.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:34 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
troy wrote:

Missed calls are, in fact, common. However, my issue (and I think most Laker fans's issue) is that the missed calls are costing Laker wins in a season when wins are desperately needed. I do want the Lakers to concentrate on playing the right way so that refs don't have the opp to mess up close games.
giordan0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:36 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:

too busy shopping with Linda
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: