Roy Hibbert v. Oden (Bynum related)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject:

I hope you've been watching Horford this game, ProjectAB. He's hit 2 jumpers that I can remember. One at the elbow and a late running leaner from about 12', of which he created himself from the top of the key on a P&R with Greene.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject:

I think Oden showed why he's #1.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject:

His timing on defense is impeccable. That stuff he had on Brewer in the 1st half, two-handed, was unreal.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject:

Oden is a man amongst boys. Any other team or year and he'd likely have won a title tonight.

He just ran into a team with 3 NBA starters, two of which are Bigmen all but assured of top 6 or 7 picks.

Nevermind the experience difference between the two clubs.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
His timing on defense is impeccable. That stuff he had on Brewer in the 1st half, two-handed, was unreal.

I think the fact that he did such a huge part in getting 2 lottery PFs in foul trouble and kept up with the game despite all the minutes bodes a lot for Oden, never mind the solid jumphooks and power finishes. Those guys were going straight up against Oden and getting it stuffed right back in their faces.

Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject:

I wonder how Bynum would have done against the Gators tonight. He is not explosive like Oden, but his footwork and touch around the basket would have allowed him to do damage.

Oden was a warrior out there with no perimeter shooters to open the game up for him. Yet he still put their frontline in foul trouble.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
I wonder how Bynum would have done against the Gators tonight. He is not explosive like Oden, but his footwork and touch around the basket would have allowed him to do damage.

Oden was a warrior out there with no perimeter shooters to open the game up for him. Yet he still put their frontline in foul trouble.

Same goes for the opposite. I don't think Bynum would like Oden being physical against him when he could explode well for power dunks.

And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
ProjectAB wrote:
Yes, show me an example of Oden's work ethic. Like someone said, why hasn't Oden worked on his left hand by now? Why is he still so raw? So far, he's gotten by on his natural(possibly roidal) talent.

Are you joking?

Okay. As if 65% FT left handed isn't supposed to be convincing?

http://fantapedia.net/draftprospects

Quote:
* Greg Oden 7-0 265lbs - Ohio State
The most hyped up-and-comer since Lebron James. Very raw offensively, but a freakish athlete with great shot-blocking ability. Terrific work ethic. Reminds of David Robinson.

http://www.gregodenonline.com/greg-oden-biography.php

Quote:
Every year at every major high school AAU camp, there is a player that causes spectators, coaches and members of the media to beg the question, "Have you seen (insert breaking star's name here)?" In 2005 at the Peach Jam it was Greg Oden of Indiana. Drones of people flocked to the gym when the 6-11 center took to the floor. Once the ball was in the air and the game was on the clock, Greg Oden transformed from a quiet and humble 15 year old to one of the most dominating players in high school basketball. Since the Nike All American camp two weeks ago in Indianapolis and a 26 point, 12 rebound game in the Saturday session, college coaches from coast to coast have grabbed a chair to watch the big man in action. To Greg Oden, it's no big deal. "I try to just blank them out because I know if I paid any attention to them than I wouldn't play as good as I am playing now," Greg Oden said. "I realize this is the opportunity for me to play in front of college coaches. Hopefully they think about me when the time comes (to offer a scholarship). But right now, I'm just worried about high school." Several big time coaches all echoed the same thing about the David Robinson clone. "Greg Oden won't touch a college campus." That was the common thread between them all. Two NBA scouts caught glimpses of Greg Oden while the collegiate coaches can only sit back and hope. "There really isn't any interest right now (from schools) they've just sent me questionnaires. I haven't really thought about any schools right now," said Greg Oden, either playing down the new found attention or simply unfamiliar with the crazy game of recruiting. Greg Oden's coaches with Indiana Red said Greg Oden is just a normal kid living a normal 15 year old life. This new found fanfare is something that the new next big thing. "I'm really not that good. I need to get stronger and a lot of big men can shoot. I'm not that great at shooting," Greg Oden said. Greg Oden may not think of himself as a shooter but Greg Oden is one tough cookie inside the high percentage zone around the basket. Greg Oden displayed some of the best moves in the post out of any player at the Peach Jam, even Al Jefferson and LaMarcus Aldridge. "Greg Oden is a fantastic athlete that gets to the ground to the rim faster than most kids in high school basketball. Which is amazing for a kid his age," Rob Harrington, recruiting analyst of PrepStars.com, said. In one game, Greg Oden took the ball from the right block, took a pivot move to the top end of the key then with one jump went under the basket for the two hand reverse flush. Those same coaches and scouts that were oohing and awing over Greg Oden earlier could only watch with their mouths open. While the basketball nation looks for the next LeBron James in next year's draft, they may have to wait for a while for Greg Oden. Skills wise, there aren't many players around the understand the post game like Greg Oden does. And Greg Oden is 15.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18146785&BRD=1698&PAG=461&dept_id=21848&rfi=6

Quote:
Oden wasn't always the next big thing in basketball. He wasn't always good friends with Mike Conley Jr. There was a time, in fourth grade, when he was just an awkward little boy playing basketball simply because he was so big.
[b\He says it took "a long while" before he became a quality player. Years, actually. When he began playing in fourth grade, he was a disaster.
"It's embarrassing. I wasn't great at anything," Oden said. "I sat on the bench and wore my goggles.[/b] I had big, nasty Horace Grant goggles. His are beautiful, but mine were awful. Sometimes they didn't even fit on my face."
Oden met his future best friend, Mike Conley Jr., when his father and Olympic champion came to the family's home in Terre Haute, Ind. This was the summer before seventh grade, and Oden was beginning to show flashes of ability. He was still raw, but he at least knew how to use his size.

So, too, is being a 7-footer nowadays. No one makes fun of him anymore. Well, except for Conley. He gets away with a lot of things most other guys can't. Conley still pushes him and motivates him, even though Oden was the first one to develop enough work ethic to show up at 6 a.m. for shootarounds in high school. Conley had to follow Oden on that one. But Conley is still making Oden work for every compliment.
"I think he can be the most dominant player (in college basketball)," Conley said. "He's the first to tell you he has a lot of work to do. I want to say he will be the most skilled player and the most dominant player because his work ethic is so unreal, he always wants to get better, regardless of how well he's playing."

Memphis coach John Calipari couldn't stop gushing over Oden and Conley before the Tigers and Buckeyes met in the Elite Eight. Calipari was impressed with their ability, sure, but he was equally impressed with how they carried themselves.
Despite being in the center of the basketball universe, neither seems to shaken or to full of themselves. They're just teenagers having fun in the spotlight.
"They're good kids, good young men," Calipari said. "They just play ball. It's great to see. It's really great to see."

http://basketball-players.suite101.com/article.cfm/greg_oden_vs_kevin_durant

Quote:
# strengths: Combination of such size, strength, quickness, jumping ability and athleticism is extremely rare. Incredible defensive presence and shot blocking savvy. Great basketball IQ and lauded work ethic.
# weaknesses: Still unpolished offensively with back-to-the-basket. Offensive footwork needs refinement. Needs to learn how to finish plays after contact.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=odendurant/070126

Quote:
6. Work ethic
Oden wouldn't have been able to return so early – a month earlier than projected – and make such an impact right away without a lot of hard work during rehab.

http://www.hoopsvibe.com/nba/nba_draft/nba_draft_prospects/greg_oden-ar23664.html

Quote:
Greg Oden

10.7.2005 - Updated on 03.21.2007

Extremely naturally talented 7-foot man-child has an NBA body to go along with excellent athleticism and terrific defensive skills. His maturity, work ethic and attitude only increase his likelihood to reach his incredibly high ceiling. Will need to improve on his mechanical offensive skills, he doesn’t always show the nastiness to dominate his opponents. Has shown his potential in NCAA play so far after returning from an injury, but has done so inconsistently.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/south/2007-03-25-osu-oden_N.htm

Quote:
Oden missed the team's first seven games because of a right wrist injury that required surgery. He's only about 80% recovered, he said. Nevertheless, he's averaging 15.4 points and 9.5 rebounds a game. He has 100 blocked shots.

Before practices and after practices, Oden has worked with OSU assistant coach Alan Major to beef up his inside game. "He's there to stay with me," Oden said.

Major doesn't accept the credit, pointing out that Oden's work ethic is second to none.

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink," Major said. "He's a horse that loves to drink."

If enters the draft, he'll probably be the No. 1 pick, but he's reluctant because he's loving college life.

http://www.statenews.com/article.phtml?pk=39451

Quote:
MSU head coach Tom Izzo first saw Oden during an early-morning shootaround at Lawrence North (Ind.) High School.

"It was at 6 in the morning, and he was there," Izzo said. "That impressed me. The school he's from, the coaching staff, they've got about six coaches that spend so much time with their players, so he was very well-coached, very intelligent.

"I thought he had the work ethic, and then it didn't hurt that he was probably 6-foot-9 as a freshman and built better than most of us."

Oden's work ethic is evident in his free-throw shooting. The wrist surgery has forced Oden to shoot free throws with his left, non-dominant hand, yet he's shooting 61 percent from the line.

Izzo backed off his pursuit of Oden because the phenom seemed likely to spend only one year in college or jump straight from high school to the NBA. The Spartans have been bitten by the early-entry bug before — Marcus Taylor, Jason Richardson, Zach Randolph, Erazem Lorbek and Shannon Brown all bolted early and declared for the NBA Draft. Izzo raved about Oden's character, but admitted he was still wary.

"He used to swear to me that he was staying a minimum of two years, maybe more," Izzo said. "Yeah, right, you know?"

A new collective bargaining agreement forbids players from playing in the NBA until they are one year removed from high school, so Oden had little choice but to play college basketball. He committed to Ohio State and head coach Thad Matta.

"I probably screwed it up more than anything else," Izzo said. "Everybody thought he was going pro, and that rule changed. We had a shot, but he also wanted to play with Conley."

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4155/is_20060210/ai_n16065482

Quote:
Everyone marvels at Oden's work ethic. He doesn't stand under the hoop and wait for a teammate to deliver the ball, then dunk the ball. He doesn't leave the gym after practice until he converts 80 percent of his free throws. As a junior, he worked on his passing skills. Last summer, he worked on improving his offensive skills 12 feet from the basket.

"He works on his game more than most big players I've seen," Coleman said. "Only Mourning played at his level of intensity in high school as a pure post player. He ranks with the top five or six big men ever to play in high school.

"But people get too hung up by thinking a kid will play the same way in the NBA as he does in high school. Oden has the knowledge and work ethic to get better. He has better footwork and touch around the basket than he had two years ago. He will get stronger. But will he be as dominant?

"What impresses people is how he attacks the backboard, how active he is on both ends of the court and how he challenges everything on the defensive end. He becomes better when challenged by another big man. What is toughest for him is he doesn't get to play against great players every night."

That's just the 1st 3 pages of a Google entry, skipping message boards and getting legit articles.

Boom.

Somebody just got blown the "f" up.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

I think the fact that he did such a huge part in getting 2 lottery PFs in foul trouble and kept up with the game despite all the minutes bodes a lot for Oden, never mind the solid jumphooks and power finishes. Those guys were going straight up against Oden and getting it stuffed right back in their faces.

The guy is going to be even more dominant than most people expect. I can't believe how people actually get on him for not "living up to the hype" even though his freshman year is just as good if not better than most of the greats and he did it with one hand for a good part of the season. That size and athleticism is just beyond belief, he's got power and touch. He's going to be something else, I have no clue why DE still has Durant ranked no.1
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:

<snipped>

I disagree.

Though Bynum would have enjoyed a significant size advantage against Florida's frontline, I believe that their (Noah's and Horford's) athleticism would have negated it.

Two things to note about Oden when he gets the ball in position down low:

1) No soft stuff. Dude is bringin' it with a two hand power dunk every single time; and,

2) because he's generating so much power on those dunks, would-be defenders (even opposing 7-footers), simply vacate the area and run down court. As a result, Oden oftentimes goes unchallenged.

Bynum?

Noah, Horford, and the other kid (Richards?) would have successfully challenged Bynum repeatedly.
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
I think Oden showed why he's #1.

Concur.

I'd also like to point out some intangibles here for a second.

In the biggest game of the college basketball season and with a national audience, how did the freshman respond against a physical front line of veterans?

25 points / 12 boards / 4 blocked shots / stayed out of foul trouble / tied for most minutes played (38) / 2 turnovers

I don't believe that this should be overlooked.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:34 am    Post subject:

I tell you what, I saw Snaq at Cole HS and LSU and I didn't see out of Snaq what I saw in Oden last night. I saw a man child get pissed when he was taken out of the game and dominate a lottery bound front line. Now Snaq had an All-American named Chris Jackson and a big teammate named Stanley Roberts - so maybe he could have played like Oden has as a Freshman.

I won't say he will be Snaq's equal when it is all said and done but man he is on his way!

My top 5:

1. Oden
2. Durant
3. Horford
4. Brewer
5. Hibbert

Noah is overrated. He is a good player that hussles, but when he played against an NBA level talent he ended up with 8 points - 6 from free throws.

Great game last night. I fell in love with college basketball again. Now if we could get the NBA to make kids stay 3 years like the NFL does...
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
I hope you've been watching Horford this game, ProjectAB. He's hit 2 jumpers that I can remember. One at the elbow and a late running leaner from about 12', of which he created himself from the top of the key on a P&R with Greene.

I was impressed with Horford's quickness on defense. He moves his feet really well.
Lakersfield
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject:

Hortford showed just about everything last night. I thought he was a strictly low post player. But he showed an outside shot, can dribble for a big man. He seemed very mobile.
DzLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
I tell you what, I saw Snaq at Cole HS and LSU and I didn't see out of Snaq what I saw in Oden last night. I saw a man child get pissed when he was taken out of the game and dominate a lottery bound front line. Now Snaq had an All-American named Chris Jackson and a big teammate named Stanley Roberts - so maybe he could have played like Oden has as a Freshman.

I won't say he will be Snaq's equal when it is all said and done but man he is on his way!

My top 5:

1. Oden
2. Durant
3. Horford
4. Brewer
5. Hibbert

Noah is overrated. He is a good player that hussles, but when he played against an NBA level talent he ended up with 8 points - 6 from free throws.

Great game last night. I fell in love with college basketball again. Now if we could get the NBA to make kids stay 3 years like the NFL does...

Man, I haven't gotten to see Oden of any of these guys play that much at all, but Oden impressed me...a lot. I have to agree with you. If Oden works hard, I think he can dominate the NBA to Shaq-like levels.

And yes, Noah does look overrated. I thought so last year as well. The guys who really impressed me where Oden, Horford and Brewer.

(Horford was really nice but didn't Oden just stuff him with two hands in the 2nd half??)
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject:

^Well yeah, but Horford isn't projected as a franchise player.

That being said, he had a hell of a game as well.

DzLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject:

Yeah, I know. I was just a little surprised because it looked like Oden completely hovered over him. However Horford is definately one of my top 5 guys in this years draft.
SHAQ/KOBE=#1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject:

Oden ted Horford with ease. Got position when and where he wanted without any problems. Kind of troubling that Oden had his best game against him.

And I am not sold on his offensive game either. His low post game is not really impressive. He is going to have to live off the mid-range jumper (and that needs work)
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject:

^ I agree. Horford is a tad mechanical in the low block.

Oden was phenomenal last night.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: