TWC LAKER CHANNEL THREAD [DO NOT SPAM THREAD WITH "OFFERS"]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 141, 142, 143  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KobefanMVP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject:

42lakers42 wrote:
Ok.... So I live local as a lot of you do to l.a.,I was listening to 710 am ESPN radio today around 4:30 with john Ireland and a guy who's name I can't recall,but he's the sideline reporter for laker games home and away,he's also a writer for Lakers.com... Anyway Ireland said that their are people who are working on this thing 24 hours a day! He Said he expects this to be done before Oct. 1st if that carries any weight for you guys.... He also said the channel will be on all providers.... Let's all hope this happens!

thanks for the update, good new!!!
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject:

People seem to forget about the radio broadcasts, or maybe they think they are too good to listen to sports on the radio. But radio was how Chick first called Lakers games for Lakers fans, and at the time they were thrilled.

Due to my long work hours, I've gotten used to not seeing Lakers games on tv very often. I listen to games on a portable radio on my way home from work on 710 am. And I believe that's still going to be available for free, and Ireland and Thompson do a good job, imo.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject:

JIFISH wrote:
People seem to forget about the radio broadcasts, or maybe they think they are too good to listen to sports on the radio. But radio was how Chick first called Lakers games for Lakers fans, and at the time they were thrilled.

Due to my long work hours, I've gotten used to not seeing Lakers games on tv very often. I listen to games on a portable radio on my way home from work on 710 am. And I believe that's still going to be available for free, and Ireland and Thompson do a good job, imo.

Well, if you're on the road, of course. But If you're at home with a TV, you choose TV. Seems logical to me. Has nothing to do with thinking we're too good for radio.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject:

Actually starting to feel a little nervous now that I realized that most bars seem to use DirectTV like I do, and if I don't get the new channel through DirectTV it means most bars won't have it available either. I wonder if the online league pass is blacked out locally same as the TV one. Most likely it is, but if not I would be willing to drop a hundred or two to stream the games securely. Anyone know?
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject:

Someone from AT&T Uverse called me at home this morning to see if I had any issues or concerns with my service from them. I told her the only concern I had at the moment was whether or not they would be carrying the new Lakers channel. She had never heard of it, but put me on hold and connected me with someone in their sales department.

The woman in the sales department said that all she knew was that at the present time there were no plans to carry this new channel, and there were no negotiations going on to do so.

I told her that my only reason for having a tv service provider was to be able to watch Lakers games, and if they did not have the service when the new channel started up in October, I would be switching to a provider that offered it.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject:

JIFISH wrote:
Someone from AT&T Uverse called me at home this morning to see if I had any issues or concerns with my service from them. I told her the only concern I had at the moment was whether or not they would be carrying the new Lakers channel. She had never heard of it, but put me on hold and connected me with someone in their sales department.

The woman in the sales department said that all she knew was that at the present time there were no plans to carry this new channel, and there were no negotiations going on to do so.

I told her that my only reason for having a tv service provider was to be able to watch Lakers games, and if they did not have the service when the new channel started up in October, I would be switching to a provider that offered it.

:V

!...
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject:

JIFISH wrote:

Yeah, it's like night and day with Chick calling it though. For years, the only way I was able to follow the Lakers was through Chick's words-eye view on a trusty transistor AM radio. His ability to keep up with plays was tremendous, very few people can do that today without it making it seem like it's forced.

Spero was ok, he actually called the games well enough that Marge Hearn thought he did a good job.

As for John Ireland, he's improving as a pbp guy. Sometimes it's hard to visualize what's going on while driving when there are lapses in between his calls, other times he does get it right. Won't be too hard on the guy, he's probably the hardest working guy at the station he goes from afternoon drive to pbp guy to sports guy and part-time make-up guy. Gotta respect him for taking on so many roles.
Mation
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject:

Alpha wrote:
Mation... lol, been instagramming too much lately and wanted to do a @mation.

anyway, just got off the phone with oceanic and they are picking up the station and it will air October 1st on channed 23 (part of the basic cable package). ... me thinks now we get to watch home AND AWAY games!!!

Absolutely ecstatic! Thanks again Alpha!
KB8SD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject:

JIFISH wrote:

Are you kidding me.

Mychal Thompson is an embarassing HOMER.He literally ruined the radio game broadcast call when Kobe hit the game winning shot against the Suns in the 1st round 2006 playoffs by saying "Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh".While Spero Dedes was calling the play beautifully while that was happening live.

You can hear the call here on this video mix dedicated to that playoff match up:

PushingtheLimit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
JIFISH wrote:

I called and was told the exact opposite. I reiterated that Time Warner had exclusive rights to the Lakers and wanted to know if UVerse would carry that channel. The rep on the other end sounded extremely confident with her yes. Take it for what it is worth but I do think it is more likely that the person you spoke to did not know what was really going on versus the person I spoke to flat out lying. I would call them if I were you and talk to the sales department. As far as I know, it is confirmed. I highly doubt AT&T has not been approached by Time Warner about this.
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject:

PushingtheLimit wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
JIFISH wrote:

I called and was told the exact opposite. I reiterated that Time Warner had exclusive rights to the Lakers and wanted to know if UVerse would carry that channel. The rep on the other end sounded extremely confident with her yes. Take it for what it is worth but I do think it is more likely that the person you spoke to did not know what was really going on versus the person I spoke to flat out lying. I would call them if I were you and talk to the sales department. As far as I know, it is confirmed. I highly doubt AT&T has not been approached by Time Warner about this.

Sadly, I think the most likely explanation is that neither sales reps knew what they were talking about.

That was almost always the case when I had direct tv.

I was just sort of stunned by her response and how she seemed to be so sure of her information.

But if you ask a question that's not in their script, you can call back 5 times, talk to 5 different people and get 5 different answers.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject:

KB8SD wrote:

Mychal Thompson is an embarassing HOMER.He literally ruined the radio game broadcast call when Kobe hit the game winning shot against the Suns in the 1st round 2006 playoffs by saying "Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh".While Spero Dedes was calling the play beautifully while that was happening live.

Thompson got criticized for that, esp the next day when his radio partner at the time (Hartman) replayed it over and over again. Spero was probably fuming after that call, but a couple of years later he was able to call two championships without Mychal stepping all over him.

There are probably some audio engineers who could isolate Spero's track and cut out the cheering.
iwearvans
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject:

I had tw and hated it direct is way better. No way they don't work it out. Direct has too many eyes.
KB8SD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject:

We are 1 month away from the channel going live.Well at least for Time Warner customers in the Lakers DMA viewing zone.

For the rest of us on the different TV providers we are just going to have wait nervously and hope for the best that a deal gets done with TWC.

After reading Kevin Ding's article TWC really has all the leverage right now.They are sticking to their guns of charging $3.95 or $4 monthly subscriber fee.I think the holdout with the TV providers can carry into where we miss all of the pre season games.

Directv and other tv providers are going to wait until the absolute last minute before they come to an agreement over the carriage fees to have & offer this channel.

It's really HARDBALL to see who flinches first.As time goes on TWC will continue to lose leverage and will face pressure from non TWC customers both residential & consumer businesses.I'm not sure if the Lakers themselves will come out and say anything publicly urging TWC to make a deal happen with the other TV providers.

What TWC will have against them is they know either way with this new $4 or $5 billion dollar TV deal and averaging $200 million a year due to the Lakers each year that they will need the other TV providers and those non TWC customers to make the yearly payment and marketing costs associated to the new channel in order for TWC to make a profit each year.

The Lakers from their standpoint really all the care about from business stand point is they know one way or the other they will get their $$$ from TWC.

Right now Directv and a lot of TV provider aren't carrying the new PAC 12 channels due to negotiations over carriage fees for those channels.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject:

KB8SD wrote:

Directv and other tv providers are going to wait until the absolute last minute before they come to an agreement over the carriage fees to have & offer this channel.

It's really HARDBALL to see who flinches first.As time goes on TWC will continue to lose leverage and will face pressure from non TWC customers both residential & consumer businesses.

It's likely many of the tv providers are going to hold out until it reaches a "maximum pain threshold" which includes (but is not limited to): mass subscriber cancellation and/or public outcry. TWC has been on the *other* side of things when they were the ones holding out, so they will continue applying the pressure until the last of the tv providers cave.

For once, TWC probably won't be seen as the bad guy here, the contract they signed with the Lakers allowed things to happen this summer and they're going to leverage their alliance with the Lakers to eventually crush the resistance.
KB8SD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
KB8SD wrote:

It's really HARDBALL to see who flinches first.As time goes on TWC will continue to lose leverage and will face pressure from non TWC customers both residential & consumer businesses.

It's likely many of the tv providers are going to hold out until it reaches a "maximum pain threshold" which includes (but is not limited to): mass subscriber cancellation and/or public outcry. TWC has been on the *other* side of things when they were the ones holding out, so they will continue applying the pressure until the last of the tv providers cave.

For once, TWC probably won't be seen as the bad guy here, the contract they signed with the Lakers allowed things to happen this summer and they're going to leverage their alliance with the Lakers to eventually crush the resistance.

No way TWC comes out of the negations not looking like the "Bad Guys" the longer a deal takes to get done.$3.95 to $4 a month per subscriber fee is pretty LAME & riduclous .TWC knew what they were doing by offering a $4 or 5 billion 20 or 25 year agreement.Seriously if we are at the end of October and close to the start of the regular season and TWC still is the only TV provider with the new channel which they own and have the TV deal.How can anyone not view them as a monopoly and bully?

TWC approached it like this when negotiating with the Lakers over the new TV deal. "Hey we'll outbid Foxsports & KCAL 9 and offer a insane amount because we know the size of the Lakers TV coverage" which goes as far down to San Diego & to the Cali boarder and as far north Cali up to Fresno including Hawaii, Las Vegas, and Clarke County Nevada.They can approach carriage negotiations fees for the channels to other non TWC TV providers at monopoly fee & rate which is just wrong and in the end the consumers suffer the most and gets hit with rising TV bills.

Bottom line is TWC & it's TV provider competitors will have to come to a compromise over the carriage fee rates if TWC wants to make a profit on this new TV deal.
DeeAgeaux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject:

Fox Sports had all the local teams and charges $5 per househould.

The Lakers outdraw every other pro sport team combined in LA.

I think $4 is fair for Lakers,Galaxy and Sparks.

Fox Sports lost Lakers,Galaxy,Trojans,and Bruins and still wants to charge $5 per househould.

I wish I had the option of dumping Fox Sports and picking up TWC Sportsnet and Pac 12 network. In fact I wish Congress would pass a law allowing customers to buy channels a la carte. Why should anyone have to pay for channels they absolutely never watch?
KB8SD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject:

DeeAgeaux wrote:

Fox Sports lost Lakers,Galaxy,Trojans,and Bruins and still wants to charge $5 per househould.

I wish I had the option of dumping Fox Sports and picking up TWC Sportsnet and Pac 12 network. In fact I wish Congress would pass a law allowing customers to buy channels a la carte. Why should anyone have to pay for channels they absolutely never watch?

They also struck a deal to carry the Mountain West Conference football & basketball games also.One bad thing though is after this season they will lose SDSU football games because they are moving to the Big East for some dumb reason.

Seriously though the LA Galaxy & LA Sparks are literally worthless and average horrible low TV view interest.

I also wouldn't say the Lakers draw the highest TV viewing rates for American sports.That's certainly true for the NBA.But the Yankees in MLB are just as HUGE and they OWN the YES Network and don't have a middle man like the Lakers have in this new TV deal with Time Warner.
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject:

I emailed DirecTV about the new channel. Here's the reply I got.

Quote:
Thank you for writing.

I understand you'd like to know whether DIRECTV will carry a new sports network providing viewers with coverage for the Los Angeles Lakers. I can certainly appreciate this is an important question for you, and I'd be happy to assist yo today.

At this time, we have no information about this network being added. I do want to assure you, we are always reviewing our programming options to make sure we bring you the best possible TV experience.

We value your opinions about our programming, so I have forwarded your request to DIRECTV management. While DIRECTV Management can not follow up with each customer individually, rest assured every suggestion and inquiry from our most important customers is reviewed to determine what changes should be considered.

In addition, whenever we add channels to our lineup, we release a statement to the press, so keep an eye on the news to find out about the newest channels or visit our web site at directv.com/pr.

It's feedback like yours that helps us remain America's #1 Satellite provider, and on behalf of DIRECTV, I thank you for taking the time to contact us.

I appreciate you giving us the opportunity to assist you and apologize that, at this time, we don't have any further information.

Thanks again for writing.
KB8SD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject:

Kobe2Dwight12 wrote:
I emailed DirecTV about the new channel. Here's the reply I got.

Quote:
Thank you for writing.

I understand you'd like to know whether DIRECTV will carry a new sports network providing viewers with coverage for the Los Angeles Lakers. I can certainly appreciate this is an important question for you, and I'd be happy to assist yo today.

At this time, we have no information about this network being added. I do want to assure you, we are always reviewing our programming options to make sure we bring you the best possible TV experience.

We value your opinions about our programming, so I have forwarded your request to DIRECTV management. While DIRECTV Management can not follow up with each customer individually, rest assured every suggestion and inquiry from our most important customers is reviewed to determine what changes should be considered.

In addition, whenever we add channels to our lineup, we release a statement to the press, so keep an eye on the news to find out about the newest channels or visit our web site at directv.com/pr.

It's feedback like yours that helps us remain America's #1 Satellite provider, and on behalf of DIRECTV, I thank you for taking the time to contact us.

I appreciate you giving us the opportunity to assist you and apologize that, at this time, we don't have any further information.

Thanks again for writing.

That's nice and I've done the same thing.

But I think everyone on here who wants the new channel and that in the Laker TV coverage should go this route and do the following:

Click on this link:

http://www.iwantmylakers.com/

At the top section of the page where it says Enter your zip code to find out if you’re receiving Time Warner Cable SportsNet.Enter your zip code and select your provider.You'll see a message saying "No deal has been made yet with your TV provider to carry our channels".Then click on the option to send a email to your provider.

Basically by the more people doing this it will drive up the demand & interest to get the channel with whoever your tv provider is.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject:

KB8SD wrote:

No way TWC comes out of the negations not looking like the "Bad Guys" the longer a deal takes to get done.$3.95 to $4 a month per subscriber fee is pretty LAME & riduclous .TWC knew what they were doing by offering a $4 or 5 billion 20 or 25 year agreement.Seriously if we are at the end of October and close to the start of the regular season and TWC still is the only TV provider with the new channel which they own and have the TV deal.How can anyone not view them as a monopoly and bully?

TWC approached it like this when negotiating with the Lakers over the new TV deal. "Hey we'll outbid Foxsports & KCAL 9 and offer a insane amount because we know the size of the Lakers TV coverage" which goes as far down to San Diego & to the Cali boarder and as far north Cali up to Fresno including Hawaii, Las Vegas, and Clarke County Nevada.They can approach carriage negotiations fees for the channels to other non TWC TV providers at monopoly fee & rate which is just wrong and in the end the consumers suffer the most and gets hit with rising TV bills.

Bottom line is TWC & it's TV provider competitors will have to come to a compromise over the carriage fee rates if TWC wants to make a profit on this new TV deal.

Never been a fan of TWC, but at the moment, they've been swimming in a healthy amount of goodwill once they secured the rights to the Lakers with that unprecedented contract.

By virtue of their "iwantmylakers" campaign, they are trying to set up an us (Laker fans) vs. them (tv providers holding Lakers hostage) in case there is a protracted battle that keeps the Lakers off the airwaves.

TWC is no stranger to these campaigns, they used to be the ones refusing carriage. Back in '97, Fox Sports switched the Dodgers to Fox Sports Fox Sports West 2 and if I recall correctly, TWC balked at carrying FSW2. Eventually they worked out a deal and TWC added the channel, but not without a bitter media campaign.

This time, they're the ones who have the leverage for a certain amount of time. The average fan just wants to watch the Lakers and have no interest in any of the BS battles for fees, so they'll turn their rage at their provider at first. However, if this continues longer than a month into the season, then TWC's support will likely erode quickly and significantly.

Too bad they can't drop Fox Sports West until 2013, otherwise it would be ideal to move that out and move TWCSportsnet in its place.
DeeAgeaux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject:

KB8SD wrote:
DeeAgeaux wrote:

They also struck a deal to carry the Mountain West Conference football & basketball games also.One bad thing though is after this season they will lose SDSU football games because they are moving to the Big East for some dumb reason.

Seriously though the LA Galaxy & LA Sparks are literally worthless and average horrible low TV view interest.

I also wouldn't say the Lakers draw the highest TV viewing rates for American sports.That's certainly true for the NBA.But the Yankees in MLB are just as HUGE and they OWN the YES Network and don't have a middle man like the Lakers have in this new TV deal with Time Warner.

TWC paid $50M for Galaxy matches for the next 10 years.

Evidently not worthless. My dad and I watch every match.

ESPN does not get very good ratings across the country but here in LA the Galaxy games do quite well vs teams like the NHL Kings and Ducks.

I know close to nothing on the Sparks.

Lakers outdraw all other pro teams in LA combined per telecast. Never said anything about teams outside LA . Or the New York Yankees.

The Owner of the Knicks is a cable owner/operator. Since Jerry Buss does not own a cable/dish company it makes sense to have a partner.

SDSU is moving to the Big East for football only because the Big East is an automatic qualifyer for the BCS and the new four team playoff starting in a few years.
RhodyRay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject:

PushingtheLimit wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
JIFISH wrote:

Don't know about that. I had a very similar conversation (as JFISH) with AT&T. The people I talked to were still saying that the Lakers games would be on KCAL and FoxSports! No one knew what I was talking about. One person did actually go to TimeWarner's website and read everything we already know about. He did believe that TimeWarner Cable Sportsnet would be added otherwise AT&T would lose thousand of customers. He himself was a big Laker fan. I think within next 30 days this thing gets done. I hope.
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject:

KB8SD wrote:
JIFISH wrote:

Are you kidding me.

Mychal Thompson is an embarassing HOMER.

Thompson being a homer (and he is) doesn't really bother me, because I'm a homer too.

And, again imo, his level of "homerism" is really mild compared to the announcers I've heard for the Celtics, the Jazz, and those 2 clowns that call the Clippers games.

I'll take Thompson over those guys any day of the week.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject:

JIFISH wrote:
KB8SD wrote:
JIFISH wrote:

Are you kidding me.

Mychal Thompson is an embarassing HOMER.

Thompson being a homer (and he is) doesn't really bother me, because I'm a homer too.

And, again imo, his level of "homerism" is really mild compared to the announcers I've heard for the Celtics, the Jazz, and those 2 clowns that call the Clippers games.

I'll take Thompson over those guys any day of the week.

Agreed. Mikey is a shameless homer but he's no Tommy Heinsohn. Oh me oh my.

!...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 141, 142, 143  Next
Page 4 of 143
Jump to: