League Pass to watch all Laker games
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LG Neighborhood Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakersneuron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject:

erisian wrote:
NBA rules use 'neilsen market area' to determine broadcast zones. I suggest you use this tool to determine your television market area:

http://www.zipdatamaps.com/

Enter your zip code and hit 'go'. If your 'neilsen market area' is Los Angeles, ALL lakers games will be blacked out on league pass.

But that's not all! We have to encompass the exceptions made by the NBA blackout rules:

Quote:
Games will also be blacked out when they are appearing on national television. This applies to games being televised on ABC, ESPN, TNT, and NBA TV. You may view these games simply by switching to the designated channel.

source: http://www.nba.com/nba_tv/blackouts.html

This means that even if you live in Montana, you will not be able to watch LAL games on League Pass if they are broadcast nationally.

So, great, how the hell do we know which LAL games are going to be televised nationally? We check the Lakers schedule and check for something in the "Nat TV" column:
Quote:

October:
Tue 30 Dallas TNT
Wed 31 Portland NBA TV

November:
Fri 02 LAC ESPN
Fri 30 Denver ESPN

December:
Sun 02 Orlando NBA TV
Fri 07 OKC ESPN
Thu 13 NYK TNT
Tue 25 NYK ABC

January:
Fri 04 LAC ESPN
Wed 09 SAS ESPN
Fri 11 OKC ESPN
Thur 17 MIA TNT
Mon 21 CHI TNT
Sun 27 OKC ABC
Wed 30 PHX ESPN

February:
Fri 01 MIN ESPN
Tur 07 BOS TNT
Sun 10 MIA ABC
Thur 14 LAC TNT
Wed 20 BOS ESPN
Sun 24 DAL ABC
Thur 28 MIN TNT

March:
Tue 05 OKC TNT
Sun 10 CHI ABC
Mon 25 GSW NBA TV

April:
Tue 02 DAL TNT
Fri 05 MEM ESPN
Sun 07 LAC ABC
Sun 14 SAS NBA TV

source: http://www.nba.com/lakers/schedule
---

Huh. Thats a fair number of blacked out big ticket national games. Oh well, that's what we get for having such a mind-(bleepingly) SEXY team that everyone wants to watch. Or, more to the point, that people will endure a parade of intelligence-insultingly vapid commercials to watch. Whatever, you get the point. But lets do some math for kicks:

82 LAL games total; 29 blacked out national games.

Math...ummm...stuff...brain...thinking...

35.3% games blacked out. You are paying $120 to watch 53 games, or $2.20 per game* to watch the entirety of the non-nationally televised LAL season. Whether the economics, math, convenience, higher picture quality, etc all makes this a worthwhile buy is entirely up to you. I make no recommendations whatsoever.

*: assuming you do the one-time purchase and not the spread out option. The spread out option is about $150 or $3.00 per game (approximate) which obviously hurts a bit more

PS: I didn't post this for lakersground in general; I wanted to do these calculations myself in order to make an informed decision and thought "hell, might as well post it so other people can do the same".

PPS: There is always http://thefirstrow.eu if you don't mind the adware, malware, (bleepy) bitrate, (beeptarded) local commentators and general teeth-grinding annoyance. I watched the entire LAL season that way last year.

PPPS: A big shout out to my bro the LG auto-censor plugin, that (bleepingly) overzealous goat (bleeping) turdblossom has made an otherwise dull brain-shart of a post into a mildly entertaining read.

^ thanks for doing this. I did the same thing myself. I would like to make one additional point. NBAtv has something called "fan night" on Tuesdays in which fans vote for which game they air. It almost always ends up being the Lakers for obvious reasons. These games are usually shown both on NBAtv and on league pass, and are not included in the 64.7% of games that league pass gives you. That means, that more games will be televised than what is official. How much more is an open question.

Personally, I am more than likely going to shell out the $120 and get the limited broadband package, as I live outside of the LA market, have NBAtv and cable, as well as a fast internet connection.
erisian
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Lakersneuron wrote:
NBAtv has something called "fan night" on Tuesdays in which fans vote for which game they air. It almost always ends up being the Lakers for obvious reasons.

Assuming every Tuesday fan night game is a Lakers game (5 games), this ups the blacked out game ratio to 41% and means the price/game is $2.50 per game for instant option and $3.20 per game if you do the spread out version.

I think blacking out 40% of a team's games is frankly (bullbleep), but what can you do?

Besides the .eu site, of course

EDIT: If the OP wants to edit the title of this thread to point to my wall-of-math post, that might be a neat thing.
erisian
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject:

although when I go out and watch LAL games at the bar I easily spend $15 in beer per game, so by that metric getting the league pass is CHEAP
BluesAndRoots
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject:

Quick question regarding League Pass Broadband DVR functionality...

Does the DVR feature on league pass broadband work like a traditional tv DVR? Or will I have to wait for the game to finish and find it in some "archive"? I sometimes get home from work an hour into the game and would love broadbands DVR to be able to play it from the beginning on an hour delay. Any help is appreciated, thanks!
ACS Rob
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject:

^games are usually available to watch a couple hours after the game ends. blacked out games are still blacked out.
BluesAndRoots
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject:

Ok thanks that should be doable...as long as I don't have to wait until the next day or anything. I'm in the Bay Area so don't have to worry about blackouts.
Kidd Supreme
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject:

Not sure how technically savvy most LGers are here, but I'm surprised no one has thought you utilize a VPN to get around the whole blackout rules. I live in the San Diego area which is serviced by Cox Communications. Honestly, I will be waiting until the season starts to see if a deal is cut or not. However, if a deal isn't done by tipoff, I'll pick up the $180 package that comes with TV, Broadband, and Mobile access.

Obviously, the TV will be blacked out for Laker games since I qualify for being in the Lakers home market. HOWEVER, I plan on using a VPN to have my IP address come from somewhere like Dallas or Houston or some other spot outside the service area. Then I'll start up the stream, and voila, you should be good.

I have an iPad and an iPhone, configured for VPN access on them, so when I need it, I just activate it, and I'm on my way. I figure $180 isn't too bad of a price if I can get all the Laker games (minus the national games of course) plus watch all the basketball I want that isn't Laker related.

(For those asking, I've seen unlimited VPN access for as low as $6 a month. NBA will say that you shouldn't do this, and they don't support it, but trust me, it works. They just don't want to be accused of trying to support skirting around the blackout rules.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
spideysense
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject:

Kidd Supreme wrote:
Not sure how technically savvy most LGers are here, but I'm surprised no one has thought you utilize a VPN to get around the whole blackout rules. I live in the San Diego area which is serviced by Cox Communications. Honestly, I will be waiting until the season starts to see if a deal is cut or not. However, if a deal isn't done by tipoff, I'll pick up the $180 package that comes with TV, Broadband, and Mobile access.

Obviously, the TV will be blacked out for Laker games since I qualify for being in the Lakers home market. HOWEVER, I plan on using a VPN to have my IP address come from somewhere like Dallas or Houston or some other spot outside the service area. Then I'll start up the stream, and voila, you should be good.

I have an iPad and an iPhone, configured for VPN access on them, so when I need it, I just activate it, and I'm on my way. I figure $180 isn't too bad of a price if I can get all the Laker games (minus the national games of course) plus watch all the basketball I want that isn't Laker related.

(For those asking, I've seen unlimited VPN access for as low as $6 a month. NBA will say that you shouldn't do this, and they don't support it, but trust me, it works. They just don't want to be accused of trying to support skirting around the blackout rules.)

I have direct tv and anxiously awaiting for them to stop effing around and get the deal done, thanks for the this
jxhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject:

I'm pondering how I am going to get league pass this year.

Has anyone tried using the broadband league pass with ROKU?
Supposedly the app lets you stream your broadband acct to your tv.

I read a lot of complaints about it last year. Anyone have any feedback.

Could save some bucks if it works. I wonder if all of the feeds for laker games are in HD. That's a must for me.
All Net
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject:

Really does suck for,those without TWC..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
roastem00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject:

jxhopper wrote:
I'm pondering how I am going to get league pass this year.

Has anyone tried using the broadband league pass with ROKU?
Supposedly the app lets you stream your broadband acct to your tv.

I read a lot of complaints about it last year. Anyone have any feedback.

Could save some bucks if it works. I wonder if all of the feeds for laker games are in HD. That's a must for me.

I have the Samsung Galaxy III and I'm going to get NBA Mobile League Pass for $50 and I can hook it up to my tv. I have done it with other videos and shows so I'm almost 100% it will work.

-- announcer Chick Hearn, on the passing ability of Magic Johnson
jxhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject:

Yeah I have Galaxy Nexus... What's the quality like doing this?
I have 73" tv
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject:

Kidd Supreme wrote:

Has anyone tried this successfully?

This is from the NBA site. Not sure how they don't "support" VPNs... but I'd like to know if anyone has tried this with any success. (Not that LakersGround or its site staff condones or promotes such activity. This is purely a technical discussion and fact finding about LG site users.)

Quote:

A broadband blackout is determined by the zip code location associated with your Internet Service Providers (ISP) account. Our system uses this information to confirm your location and to restrict access to regionally televised and national televised games.

For example: If a customer lives in California and purchased his subscription there; then traveled to Michigan, he would be blacked out in Michigan.

We do not support the use of VPN (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vpn), internet accelerators (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_accelerator), or proxies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_server). VPNs, internet accelerators or proxies make users look like they are in a different location than they actually are. Note that the google web accelerator (http://webaccelerator.google.com/) is an example of a service which will result in incorrect blackouts,

You can verify your IP location by going to http://whatismyipaddress.com.
Lakersneuron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject:

^ I have read on other boards that people have managed to do this, but I do not know the veracity of those claims.

It might have worked last year, but maybe the NBA has closed that loophole, or maybe they are just bluffing.
Kidd Supreme
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject:

Lakersneuron wrote:
^ I have read on other boards that people have managed to do this, but I do not know the veracity of those claims.

It might have worked last year, but maybe the NBA has closed that loophole, or maybe they are just bluffing.

Not sure how they could tell. That's the great thing about VPN tunnels -- they look indistinguishable from normal connections. Unless the NBA was packet sniffing and inspecting every single packet that came in and out of their place. Regardless, like I said, if Cox doesn't cut the deal, I'll be trying this and reporting back to the group.
roastem00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject:

jxhopper wrote:
Yeah I have Galaxy Nexus... What's the quality like doing this?
I have 73" tv

I dont know how good the Galaxy Nexus is, it could be slow and that leads to the tv lag.

Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject:

On league pass does it always show the home team broadcast?

Or will I get to see Lakers road games being covered by Timewarners new channel?

---George Carlin
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject:

I discussed the VPN option with a VERY knowledgeable IT guy who said that over time, the NBA would most likely be able to determine if you were using a VPN and you would basically wake up one day w/o your feed. Apparently there are pretty strong tells.

He said it comes down to how much they care to find offenders. The interesting thing is they make more money letting people cheat w/ VPN but risk irritating their network partners. As such I would expect them to make an honest effort to find VPN users but not a full on blitz.
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
I discussed the VPN option with a VERY knowledgeable IT guy who said that over time, the NBA would most likely be able to determine if you were using a VPN and you would basically wake up one day w/o your feed. Apparently there are pretty strong tells.

He said it comes down to how much they care to find offenders. The interesting thing is they make more money letting people cheat w/ VPN but risk irritating their network partners. As such I would expect them to make an honest effort to find VPN users but not a full on blitz.

Only way network partners would know about it, is if the NBA told them.

---George Carlin
scottpot29
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject:

They won't care.
knhellesky
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject:

I'm getting NBA LP this year!

I can't wait to see this team. Of course, I'm out in the midwest, so I have to suffer with the time zone curse. Things that I have to endure by being an Lakers fan ...but it's all worth it
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject:

Mark_in_Tulsa wrote:
Only way network partners would know about it, is if the NBA told them.

Or they could access games through a VPN and see how long it takes to be caught. If it looked like the NBA wasn't appropriately policing things they could complain.

As long as it's a small fraction of viewers few will raise much of a stink. But LP represents the NBA's submission in the straight to customers over IP movement that is a growing issue for traditional networks and distribution chains (ie cable operators).

With the national TV deal up for renogiation soon, I expect the league to use the threat value of expanding their LP model to leverage a fantastic deal. It's have your cake and eat it too by extracting the IP profits while skirting the risk that will fall to the Networks. The 'live' element of sports makes it a must have for them. In return the NBA will be required to guard the IP gates.
NotFromAroundHere937
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject:

I live in Charlotte, NC. I get TWCSportsNet. Will the Lakers games be on for me or will they be blacked out? Me getting LP hinges on the answer to that question.
roastem00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Mark_in_Tulsa wrote:
On league
pass does it always show the home team broadcast?

Or will I get to see Lakers road games being covered by Timewarners new channel?

It will show the home team broadcasting. Thats one thing I hate because other broadcasters are simply horrible.

Farazz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject:

roastem00 wrote:
Mark_in_Tulsa wrote:
On league
pass does it always show the home team broadcast?

It will show the home team broadcasting. Thats one thing I hate because other broadcasters are simply horrible.

So are ours...i like miamis and torontos commentators a lot...very unbiased...hate clipper/spurs and bulls ones
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LG Neighborhood All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: