WNBA Finals

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: WNBA Finals

Were quite good, and this closing game was fantastic. Glad to see the Lady-ballers getting solid support too.

Now hopefully Mr. Fisher will do a better job with the Sparks next season lol
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject:

Bummed that Candace left the Sparks, but happy for her.

Hopefully we'll have someone good to pair with Nneka
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Derek Fisher goes from benching DPOY Candace Parker in the Playoffs to watching her go and win the WNBA title her first year away from him.

TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Derek Fisher goes from benching DPOY Candace Parker in the Playoffs to watching her go and win the WNBA title her first year away from him.

yup :/
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject:

Letting Candace leave is one of the all-time disgraces in sports franchise management. But I'm glad for her that she got to go to a smart organization that values her. She should've had several more championships by now if the Sparks ever bothered to build correctly around her.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject:

ESPN seems to be making a major effort to push the WNBA. I'm not sure how much traction the WNBA has really gotten, though. The league has bragged about how it's TV viewership is up by X percent. Well, if your TV viewership is low, it doesn't take much to create a big percentage increase.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ESPN seems to be making a major effort to push the WNBA. I'm not sure how much traction the WNBA has really gotten, though. The league has bragged about how it's TV viewership is up by X percent. Well, if your TV viewership is low, it doesn't take much to create a big percentage increase.

Not sure how accurate this data is, but if it's accurate, this shows in person fan attendance continues to drop https://www.statista.com/statistics/1236737/wnba-average-attendance/. These are also just averages.

There are some teams, like the Sparks, where attendance has gone up year over year for a while.

Obviously 2020 to present becomes skewed because of Covid.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

It definitely doesn't get that much fan support, but I enjoy it. It's unfortunate that the quality of play was so poor in the early years. It's improved a lot since then, similar to the NBA from its early days, but it's hard to overcome first impressions.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I'm surprised the league survived that long on a broken business model. Reality is that it was never going to be in the same league as the NBA. They have their own niche and vastly different audience yet for the longest time they were playing in huge NBA arenas where the sparse attendance made for a dead atmosphere. Also a lot of teams were sister teams to the NBA yet many of the cities that have decent attendance have no NBA team.
Peppe89
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:35 am    Post subject:

Yes. Gambling requires someone to bet (consideration) on an uncertain outcome (chance) to win something https://appsbetting.in/betwinner-promo-code/ (prize). Sports betting fulfills the criteria. Skill improves your prospects without eliminating chance. The only exception is an arbitrage where you can back both sides and guarantee a profit. They don’t happen very often.

Last edited by Peppe89 on Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:49 am; edited 1 time in total
OdomGrab
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject:

its trash. pure worthless trash.
ive seen pickup games that are more fun to watch.

i find the nba boring so wnba is a joke as far as wasting time goes. i ended up watching snatch instead for the 10x time.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject:

OdomGrab wrote:

i find the nba boring so wnba is a joke as far as wasting time goes. i ended up watching snatch instead for the 10x time.

Without going further into it it is truly pathetic how at least on this board you cannot mention the letters WNBA without somebody needing to come in and trash it. I could see where this thread was going and I was letting it go but every single time somebody has to make a pathetic comment like this.

Pitiful.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Bol wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

It definitely doesn't get that much fan support, but I enjoy it. It's unfortunate that the quality of play was so poor in the early years. It's improved a lot since then, similar to the NBA from its early days, but it's hard to overcome first impressions.

Sure. I've got nothing against it. I just find it interesting that ESPN has been pushing it hard lately.

My favorite WNBA story: Steve Rushin was a writer for SI back in the day. You may remember that Wilt Chamberlain wrote a book before his death in which he claimed to have slept with 20,000 women. Rushin wrote that he had slept with 7,000 women -- by going to a WNBA game. Rebecca Lobo saw him in a club and came over to give him a piece of her mind. They are now married with four children.
OdomGrab
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
OdomGrab wrote:

Without going further into it it is truly pathetic how at least on this board you cannot mention the letters WNBA without somebody needing to come in and trash it. I could see where this thread was going and I was letting it go but every single time somebody has to make a pathetic comment like this.

Pitiful.

Listen white knight women's protector dude...

I don't hate WNBA , I was just saying its not worth watching because I found it boring. The viewership numbers speak for themselves so I'm not the only one who thinks so.

JUST KIDDING IM SECRETLY A SEXUIST!!!! LOL.

NOW I MUST MOVE ON TO FIND NEW WOMMANZ TO PATRIARCH.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject:

^ That's not a dude bubba.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject:

Ok wow
BLF2145
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject:

lakez34 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Not sure how accurate this data is, but if it's accurate, this shows in person fan attendance continues to drop https://www.statista.com/statistics/1236737/wnba-average-attendance/. These are also just averages.

There are some teams, like the Sparks, where attendance has gone up year over year for a while.

Yeah I am not sure what they need to do to help that league. If the NBA ever stopped providing funding, I assume the league would fold.

Did anyone see the parade? I actually felt horrible for the team.
OdomGrab
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

LOL that figures.

WNBA is poop.

nba playoffs> college championship games> nba reg season> nbdl > regular season college games> high school all american talent> wnba. True story.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:18 pm    Post subject:

BLF2145 wrote:
lakez34 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Yeah I am not sure what they need to do to help that league. If the NBA ever stopped providing funding, I assume the league would fold.

I had to youtube it......you know at some point it might better off to hold a championship rally. I know when our MLS team won a championship thats all they did.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:12 pm    Post subject:

OdomGrab wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

LOL that figures.

WNBA is poop.

nba playoffs> college championship games> nba reg season> nbdl > regular season college games> high school all american talent> wnba. True story.

Jeez.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject:

BLF2145 wrote:
lakez34 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Oh I didn't know they had a parade. Yeah that... no. They had a really nice attendance in the arena for the Finals games. They probably should've just had a nice little celebration on the floor and left it at that.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:52 am    Post subject:

I always thought the media pushed the WNBA hard. I felt that way when I lived in California. I moved to Vegas and after a WNBA team moved here, it hasn’t been unusual to see them covered on the front page of the sports section and they get good coverage in the local news. Vegas doesn’t exactly have a ton of pro sports teams though.

Now that I think about it, I don’t think I’ve ever given the league a chance. Never had much of an opinion of it because I don’t watch it. I did think going to a game might be interesting but haven’t actually done it. I already watched enough sports, including enough basketball (NBA and some college) that I wasn’t excited about watching another league. I’ve had a similar feeling about Major League Soccer games. Watching sports can take up a lot of time, and the NBA season by itself is way too long. The NBA playoffs are also too long in my opinion.

I did become a fan of the US women’s soccer team over a decade ago though. I think it was refreshing to watch them dominate because I got tired of seeing the men struggle.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: