THE Political Thread (All Political Discussion Here)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 886, 887, 888  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject:

Jeffs wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
realking24 wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
I'm just tired of the "hostage takers" mentality of the Teahadists in Congress.

They pulled this same BS with the Debt Ceiling and it resulted in a downgrade of our Sovereign Debt Rating.

Now they're threatening a shutdown if their demands aren't met yet again. You gotta go with the 'ol Ronald Reagan, "we don't negotiate with terrorists" here.

Yeah, I said it. These tea party jokers are basically the representative equivalents of terrorists. You can't cave into their FUD.

A thoughtful and well reasoned rebuttal.

One deserves another.

Except that I wasn't rebutting anyone. I was presenting my point of view.

I'll take five thumbs down to mean that guy couldn't really argue or actually refute the factual basis of anything I said there.

Same goes for you.
realking24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
realking24 wrote:
kray28_ wrote:

They pulled this same BS with the Debt Ceiling and it resulted in a downgrade of our Sovereign Debt Rating.

Now they're threatening a shutdown if their demands aren't met yet again. You gotta go with the 'ol Ronald Reagan, "we don't negotiate with terrorists" here.

Yeah, I said it. These tea party jokers are basically the representative equivalents of terrorists. You can't cave into their FUD.

Your statement is a joke. At least they are taking a stand from this idiot that is trying to kick the bucket of (bleep) down to our kids. But you probably want that so you don't have to work as hard I bet. The world doesn't work that way. See what happened in Detroit and soon to be Philadelphia and any other state that is run by strictly libtards. It will fail.
realking24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
Jeffs wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
realking24 wrote:
kray28_ wrote:

One deserves another.

Except that I wasn't rebutting anyone. I was presenting my point of view.

I'll take five thumbs down to mean that guy couldn't really argue or actually refute the factual basis of anything I said there.

Same goes for you.

Wow what an educated point You actually really think that.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject:

realking24 wrote:
Your statement is a joke. At least they are taking a stand from this idiot that is trying to kick the bucket of (bleep) down to our kids. But you probably want that so you don't have to work as hard I bet. The world doesn't work that way. See what happened in Detroit and soon to be Philadelphia and any other state that is run by strictly libtards. It will fail.

What are you even arguing?

You're just spewing vitriol. Try to stick to facts. And actually try to refute what I said. They are holding the country hostage...yet again, because they didn't get their way.

What happened in Detroit? What does that have to do with the ACA...that's the subject btw. The reason your teahadist heroes are holding the country hostage.

OH NOEZ, more people might actually get health insurance. What will we ever do?

Can you explain to me how exactly expanding health insurance coverage to 30 million uninsured people hurts this country? Are you aware that the GAO plainly states that the ACA will save taxpayers money?

You do realize that one way or another...someone has to pay for the medical treatment (usually in an Emergency Room) of all these uninsured people, right?

Who do you think pays for their treatment? That's right...us the taxpayers, and it's also impounded right into our healthcare costs as well.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject:

realking24 wrote:

Try arguing with substantive facts...for instance, answer the claim that the tea party nozzles don't have a "hostage takers" mentality.

Even Mitch McConnell is trying to talk sense to them.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject:

How to we get it to shut down AFTER October 1st?
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
realking24 wrote:

Try arguing with substantive facts...for instance, answer the claim that the tea party nozzles don't have a "hostage takers" mentality.

Even Mitch McConnell is trying to talk sense to them.

So is McCain, Graham and other rational Republicans. Ted Cruz is delusional.

Last edited by 32 on Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

The funny thing is, you hear all this "fiscal responsibility" crap from the Republicans...the last time Gingrich "shut down the government"...the cost to the taxpayers of the shutdown and then the startup one month later was $1 billion dollars.

So their little game of "I'm going to take my ball and go home" cost everyone.

Now in these tenuous economic times (as they'll have you believe) they're yet again about to cost us maybe another billion or more...just to try to stop something that will save us tons of money down the line.

This isn't about us though...this is about their (bleep) little political gamesmanship with Obama. If the American people are in the way of that, they don't give a (bleep).
realking24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
realking24 wrote:

What are you even arguing?

You're just spewing vitriol. Try to stick to facts. And actually try to refute what I said. They are holding the country hostage...yet again, because they didn't get their way.

What happened in Detroit? What does that have to do with the ACA...that's the subject btw. The reason your teahadist heroes are holding the country hostage.

OH NOEZ, more people might actually get health insurance. What will we ever do?

Can you explain to me how exactly expanding health insurance coverage to 30 million uninsured people hurts this country? Are you aware that the GAO plainly states that the ACA will save taxpayers money?

You do realize that one way or another...someone has to pay for the medical treatment (usually in an Emergency Room) of all these uninsured people, right?

Who do you think pays for their treatment? That's right...us the taxpayers, and it's also impounded right into our healthcare costs as well.

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
And the real elephant sitting there, is that they understand, and anyone else who is politically savvy, that once this thing gets going, the public will like it. Once the kinks are ironed out and once people see it is not the end of the world as intimated, that crying wolf once more has failed again, it will become a mainstay.

That's my assessment. If Obamacare is fully implemented, and the sky does not fall (or, worse, the public likes it), then a whole generation of GOP lawmakers are in hot water.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ribeye wrote:
And the real elephant sitting there, is that they understand, and anyone else who is politically savvy, that once this thing gets going, the public will like it. Once the kinks are ironed out and once people see it is not the end of the world as intimated, that crying wolf once more has failed again, it will become a mainstay.

That's my assessment. If Obamacare is fully implemented, and the sky does not fall (or, worse, the public likes it), then a whole generation of GOP lawmakers are in hot water.

The public likes any entitlement. That's pretty much understood.

The problem is budgeting for everything.

The GOP supposedly cares about spending (lol... not really). They also supposedly care about the dangers of a huge and overreaching government. (it's kind of too late for that)

It's within their philosophy to be against a huge Federal program that basically takes away choice and replaces it with a mandatory expense.

The public likes a lot of things that don't necessarily jive with freedom from government. That doesn't mean that they don't believe that the Tea Partiers and some of the GOP aren't really trying to do what they believe is really best for the country.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ribeye wrote:

The public already likes it. Discuss individual parts of the ACA (without calling it Obamacare), and vast majorities of Americans think they are good ideas.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/1916carnetb50jpg/ku-xlarge.jpg
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject:

dvdrdiscs wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
The debt is a totally (bleep) problem. The IRS could tax the rich 100% of their income after the first $1Million and that would only bring in $616 Billion Dollars. We are operating on somewhere around a $1 trillion dollar deficit each year(give or take a few hundred billion). Our national debt would still continue to skyrocket with ridiculous taxes.

What a short-sighted and ridiculously simplified notion of how taxes and the economy works.

To be honest, I thought that the post was a troll...
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danbigman/2012/04/03/john-stossel-tax-the-rich-the-rich-dont-have-enough-really/

That's a TERRIBLE article. If you've taken Intro To Logic in college or earlier, you realize that his article is simply a talking point with little merit to it.

Yes, taxing the filthy rich 100% will only net so much money. But why bring that up? That's a classic Strawman argument and then he hammers in on it. Dittoheads fall for that thing. Either way, a few % points is what is needed. Taxation must be brought back in line for us to have a chance to balance the budget.

Second, of course it's spending. Ever look at the budget #s from the CBO? Most are mandatory spending and most pay for themselves and then a whole lot more (social security).

The GOP hasn't brought up real, substantive ways of helping balance the budget, PERIOD. Cut SS NOW even though it's _still_ in a surplus? Seriously? Want to steal from Peter to pay Paul(our war machine) even more eh? So exactly _where_ does the GOP want to cut besides ACA? Even cutting ACA doesn't save them much of ANY money.

As for suggestions about crossing state lines, there are huge logistics problems when they do. Perhaps in the FUTURE, that should be implemented but this should go out now. Why throw out the baby when the baby's got a hangnail?

Lastly, the GOP previously was touting something very similar less than 2 decades ago. So saying that the GOP didn't want it also is not 100% accurate. Let alone how "awesome" "Romneycare" is versus "Obamacare".
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:

While our views are more alike than not, to call the tea party the equivalent of terrorists is so extreme and alienating (not to mention pushing the mods), that it is ineffective rhetoric. I think anarchists is a better word, but even this is ineffective in argument. It is temping, I know, to find some word to condense and dramatize a point, but I don't think there is one word to describe this movement, beyond conservative.

Call them conservatives with the same disdain that RR had for the word "liberal".

They are the true conservatives out there. They are unabashed in their views, and represent what true conservatism really is. This is really good. Rather than have a politician say and run on one thing, say, we need jobs, but then only rename post offices or enact the most extreme abortion laws since Roe v Wade, they stand firm. Their honesty though, is a real problem: for the US, yes, but even more so for their party. The Republican Party is a compromise of this view with the pragmatic and plutocratic view that nothing can happen without money and power. The Tea Party is pulling the curtains off and exposing their party.

We must understand that they were voted in and that the TP caucus contains 49 House members and 5 Senate members. So they represent a slice of America. But most people are far more moderate than this and they find this view extreme. The louder and crazier the TP, the further from the middle goes their party and the harder it will be to get elected in anything but a district that looks like some extreme puzzle piece. But remember, if it wasn't for them, we wouldn't have Obamacare.

(As for RR and we don't negotiate with terrorists, I can never let that statement sit when it was RR who sold (via Israel) thousands of TOW's to Iran, if not a terrorist nation, certainly a sponsor of terrorism. This, as part of Iran/Contra, in my opinion, was even a worse scandal than Watergate, two acts more impeach worthy, but RR had not alienated his party like Nixon did with his more moderate domestic policies.)
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

"It", Obamacare? Won't happen. It is now nearly fours years of churning into our way of life. No one is talking about it, but how do you shut down something this big, in motion this long? You don't.

Republicans can choose to stomp their feet and fight it every chance, or they can start being legislators, and where there are problems, compromise, and find better solutions.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject:

tlim wrote:

As for suggestions about crossing state lines, there are huge logistics problems when they do. Perhaps in the FUTURE, that should be implemented but this should go out now. Why throw out the baby when the baby's got a hangnail?

First, companies do cross state lines as long as they conform to State law.

The objection to the Republican position of crossing state lines is, well, the Republican argument regarding "states rights". As with credit card usury, if Calif has Health Care regulations, but a company resides in a state with more lax regulations, the company may adopt the policies of the more lax state--under this crossing state line proposal. So, if this new approach were adopted, Calif (the aspects beyond the ACA mandates), could be forced to adopt, say, Texas law. Heaven F'ing forbid.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
tlim wrote:

The objection to the Republican position of crossing state lines is, well, the Republican argument regarding "states rights". As with credit card usury, if Calif has Health Care regulations, but a company resides in a state with more lax regulations, the company may adopt the policies of the more lax state. So, if this new approach were adopted, Calif (the aspects beyond the ACA mandates), could be forced to adopt, say Texas law. Heaven F'ing forbid.

No. That's not the issue. If that's all it was it would be easy.

Not a huge deal to me anyways. Well, not big enough to go deep in a discussion forum where I supposedly go to enjoy myself.

Ughhh... why do I keep reading these threads? I told myself to stop.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
ribeye wrote:
tlim wrote:

The objection to the Republican position of crossing state lines is, well, the Republican argument regarding "states rights". As with credit card usury, if Calif has Health Care regulations, but a company resides in a state with more lax regulations, the company may adopt the policies of the more lax state. So, if this new approach were adopted, Calif (the aspects beyond the ACA mandates), could be forced to adopt, say Texas law. Heaven F'ing forbid.

Not a huge deal to me anyways. Well, not big enough to go deep in a discussion forum where I supposedly go to enjoy myself.

Sorry to ask, but you say that this is not the issue, then you don't explain it, and why my take is wrong. If I'm missing something, let me know what it is.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Senior WH official: Government shutdown won’t stop Obamacare rollout

Americans will be able to sign up on Oct. 1 for health insurance under Obamacare even if the government shuts down, White House deputy senior adviser for communications and strategy David Simas told reporters Wednesday.

"In terms of outreach, we are good to go," Simas said, speaking at the "Inside Politics with Bill Schneider" breakfast at the think tank Third Way. "On October first we will be up and running and people will be able to shop for a plan."

"There may be some impacts... but it does not go into the core of what we are doing," he added.

Link
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
So, if this new approach were adopted, Calif (the aspects beyond the ACA mandates), could be forced to adopt, say, Texas law. Heaven F'ing forbid.

You will be assimilated.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject:

The numbers are in on ACA
One example
Quote:
A 27-year-old in Dallas who earns $25,000 a year will be able to purchase a bronze plan for $74 a month, including federal tax credits to discount the price. A family of four in Dallas with a $50,000 household income could choose a bronze plan for as little as $26 a month, including the subsidies. A family of four earning $50,000 a year purchasing the least expensive bronze plan would pay $36 a month in Charlotte, N.C., $32 a month in St. Louis and $24 a month in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., including subsidies.

Platinum, Gold, Bronze, Silver plans
Long reads

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Senate to vote to avert government shutdown

WASHINGTON — The U.S. Senate is set to vote to clear a key procedural hurdle towards passing a stopgap funding bill to avert a government shutdown in six days. The vote occurred after a dramatic overnight floor speech by Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, and his allies who waged a filibuster-styled effort in opposition to President Obama's health care law.

This afternoon's vote cleared the way to begin debate on a House-passed stop gap spending bill that includes language to defund the Affordable Care Act. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., is expected to strip that provision fom the bill and return to the House later this week a clean stopgap measure to keep the government funded through Nov. 15.

Link
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Poll Shows Disapproval of Threat of Government Shutdown

Eight in 10 Americans find it unacceptable for either President Obama or members of Congress to threaten to shut down the government during budget negotiations in order to achieve their goals, according to the latest New York Times/CBS News poll. Fewer than 1 in 5 think the stalemate between Mr. Obama and the Republicans in Congress is acceptable.

Republicans, Democrats, independents and Tea Party supporters alike object to the threat of a shutdown, the poll says.

Link
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
ribeye wrote:
tlim wrote:

Sorry to ask, but you say that this is not the issue, then you don't explain it, and why my take is wrong. If I'm missing something, let me know what it is.

Completely understand why you want an explanation.

I don't feel strongly enough to go into it. So feel free to ignore it.

Maybe I'll come back later if I'm in a different mood. I can feel myself getting a little grumpy.

But I guess I can leave ave this for now. It's entertaining too.

Last edited by Reflexx on Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 886, 887, 888  Next
Page 4 of 888
Jump to: