Lakers in the News: 1/21/14: "Lakers have rebuilt on the fly before, but latest fix won't be quick" By Mike Bresnahan

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Lakers in the News: 1/21/14: "Lakers have rebuilt on the fly before, but latest fix won't be quick" By Mike Bresnahan

Quote:
Kobe Bryant Likes 'Smash Mouth Old School Basketball' Because It's 'Much Less Physical'
Los Angeles Daily News | By Mark Medina
Posted: 01/21/2014 2:57 pm EST

FOLLOW: Kobe Bryant, Kobe Bryant All Star Game, Kobe Bryant All Star, Kobe Bryant Injury, Kobe Bryant Old School, Kobe Bryant Old School Basketball, Kobe Bryant Olympics, Los Angeles News
CHICAGO -- For once, Kobe Bryant emerged from the trainer's room into an interview session delving into little about his recovery.

After all, Bryant had spoken four days ago in Boston about how he's rehabbing his fractured left leg performing bike drills and won't receive an MRI until early February. So instead, Bryant dished on a wide-range of topics ranging from his refusal to play in the 2016 Olympics, why he doesn't feel deserving for an All-Star nod and his wish for the NBA to return to the rugged style it employed in the 1980's.

But first things first. Bryant said his return remains "up in the air," but is he just as uncertain about how he'll play?

"Zero," Bryant said. "There was before I came back the first time because I didn't know how my Achilles would respond to changing direction. The game in Memphis, I had a pretty good feel and felt like I was getting back to what I normally do. I feel pretty confident."

Bryant also voiced optimism for Bulls guard Derrick Rose, who remains sidelined with a right meniscus injury after spending all of last season rehabbing a torn ACL.

"It's unfortunate," Bryant said. "You have two options. One is to lay down and not do anything about it. The second is to get up and get to work. The second one is more appealing."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/21/kobe-bryant-old-school-basketball_n_4637274.html

Last edited by Cha*n on Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:05 pm; edited 4 times in total
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Kobe Bryant Media Session: Chicago
January 21, 2014 7:27 am PST

Prior to the Lakers-Bulls game, Kobe Bryant addressed the media to give another general update on where he’s at in his recovery/rehab process, his thoughts on playing in the All-Star game and how he’s seen the game evolve since he was a rookie. Below is a transcription of his comments:

Q: On the general update in his recovery/rehab process:
Bryant: It’s the same old, same old. Riding the bike, trying to stay in shape that way. Not much I can really do in terms of running andthings of that nature, so mainly focusing on bike work.

Q: On what he’s seen from the team in the games at Boston (107-104 win) and at Toronto (112-106 win):
Bryant: I think they’re competing and playing hard. That’s really the key. That’s what you want to see. You want to see them out there battling and competing, and trying to figure things out as a group.

Q: On playing in the All-Star game this year:
Bryant: I’ve always looked forward to playing in All-Star games. It’s always been something that has always been a huge honor. That being said, I haven’t played this year. I think some of the younger guys who have been out there performing extremely well and are All-Star worthy should be the ones out there playing.

Q: On what he makes of Derrick Rose’s latest injury and if he’s had the chance to talk with him about it:
Bryant: I haven’t had a chance to talk. I don’t know if he’s going to be here. If he is, I’m sure I’ll catch up with him. There’s not much you can do about it. It is what it is. It’s unfortunate, but you have two options: one is to lay down and not do anything about it, and the second is to get up and get to work. I think the second one is more appealing to him, for sure.

Q: On if there’s a timetable in his head to make a return:
Bryant: It’s all just up in the air right now. I try not to think about it too much. You just go day-to-day.

Q: On how the league has evolved since he came in:
Bryant: It’s become so much more of a global game. When I came in, it was just starting to become that. Then you had the Yao (Ming) phenomenon, Dirk (Nowitzki’s) emergence, Pau (Gasol). The sport has really grown to be a global force. I think that’s really the big difference since I’ve come in the league.

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/140120kobebryant_mediasession
Rawr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject:

Um... isn't this headline exactly opposite of what Kobe said? He liked it because it's MORE physical...
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Nick Young doesn’t like it when you call him ‘The Swag Mamba’

By SEAN HIGHKIN 1 hour ago @highkin

Andrew Richardson, USA TODAY Sports
CHICAGO — All season, we at For The Win have taken to calling Los Angeles Lakers shooting guard Nick Young “The Swag Mamba.” His long-standing nickname is “Swaggy P,” and with Kobe Bryant out for most of the year, Young has taken on the mantle of late-game scorer.

However, Young made it clear after the Lakers’ Monday night loss to the Chicago Bulls that he doesn’t want a nickname affiliated with Kobe.

“Swag Mamba? Nah. Nah. I’m Swaggy P, baby,” Young said upon hearing the suggestion. “Can’t be no Mamba. I don’t want to be a snake. I like the flash of the jewelry. I’m a flashy man. Look at my backpack, baby.”

He then held up a red leather designer backpack.

However, Young appeared more amenable to the suggestion that this team in the tradition of the Showtime Lakers of the 1980s, is now the Swagtime Lakers.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/01/nba-lakers-nick-young-swag-mamba-nickname/
erisian
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Cha*n, the headlining quote is 180 degrees misleading...needs a fix
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Rawr wrote:
Um... isn't this headline exactly opposite of what Kobe said? He liked it because it's MORE physical...

Kobe:
Quote:
"I like smash mouth old school basketball," Bryant said. "That's what I grew up watching. It's much less physical.
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
No Date Set For Kobe Bryant Return With Lakers
AP | By By JAY COHEN
Posted: 01/21/2014 11:46 am EST

FOLLOW: Basketball, LA Lakers, LA Lakers, NBA, Kobe Bryant, LA Lakers, National Basketball Association, Kobe, Sports News, Sports News

CHICAGO (AP) — Kobe Bryant is riding a bike. That's about all he can do right now, so he's trying not to think about when he might be able to play again for the Los Angeles Lakers.

Bryant broke a bone in his left knee Dec. 17 at Memphis while playing his fourth game in five nights, likely sidelining the superstar guard for six weeks. The injury against the Grizzlies occurred in his sixth game back after he missed the start of the season while recovering from a torn left Achilles tendon.

The pair of injuries for the 35-year-old Bryant raised questions about whether he would ever return to his previous form. But he said Monday night he had no doubt he would play at a similarly high level again.

"There was before I came back the first time because I didn't know how my Achilles was going to respond to playing and changing directions," Bryant said before the Lakers' 102-100 overtime loss at Chicago. "The game in Memphis I had a pretty good feel for it, getting back to being able to do what I normally could do. I feel confident about it. I did play that second half on a fractured leg and played pretty well. I feel pretty good about my chances."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/21/no-set-date-for-kobe-bryant-return-with-lakers_n_4637414.html?utm_hp_ref=sports
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject:

erisian wrote:
Cha*n, the headlining quote is 180 degrees misleading...needs a fix

I read the article and his statement was this, "I like smash mouth old school basketball," Bryant said. "That's what I grew up watching. It's much less physical."

I understand that as the game is slower and less chaotic the "small ball' that increases the chance of injury.

I could be wrong but that's what the article says he said. Thanks for watching out for my mistakes though. I make them and it's much appreciated to know that to not.

erisian
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject:

Cha*n wrote:
Rawr wrote:

Kobe:
Quote:
"I like smash mouth old school basketball," Bryant said. "That's what I grew up watching. It's much less physical.

your quote is incomplete; his full quote included a complaint about how weak fouls are considered flagrant in today's NBA. he's complaining about how today's NBA is less physical than the NBA of the past.

Quote:

Q: On whether the style of play has changed and evolved:

Bryant: Yeah, for sure. It’s more of a finesse game. It’s more small ball, which personally, I don’t really care much for. I like smash mouth, old school basketall because that’s what I grew up watching. I also think it’s much, much less physical; much, much less physical. Some of the flagrant fouls I see called nowadays, it makes me nauseous. You can’t touch a guy without it being called a flagrant foul. I think some of that or some of the negatives that I’ve seen change, but there are positives to it as well.
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers Trade Rumors: Evan Turner, Spencer Hawes on Lakers' Radar; Pau Gasol Still on Trading Block

By Lou Ramon Aguila | January 21, 2014 11:06 AM EST
The Los Angeles Lakers are reportedly trying to improve their lineup using their remaining trade chip in All-Star point guard Pau Gasol. According to several NBA analysts, the Philadelphia 76ers could be an ideal trade partner for the Lakers because of the abundance of talents in their line-up.

Kobe Bryant and the L.A Lakers must trade for help for them to reach the playoffs

Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak previously stressed the Lakers have no intention to tank away the season, insisting getting into the postseason remains a goal for the ballclub despite their current standings in a very competitive Western Conference playoff race.

"There is no way to believe that a team would, on purpose, do a terrible job in the summer and a terrible job in the draft because they want to lose games the next season. Now, I'm sure once the season begins and things go or don't go your way, the speculation as to what may happen if things continue may arise," Kupchack said in an interview with Mike Trudell of Lakers.com

"We've been through years like that, and there's never been a discussion in midseason in this building where ownership would say, "It's best to lose." That's never taken place. Now, I don't even know how you convey that message to the coach if it were the goal."

"Coaches are defined by their record; it's intuitive that they do not want to lose. It's inconceivable to me that a general manager would try to convey that message to anybody. So it's never happened here and it never will. It's the worst message you can ever give to anybody," the executive added.

With Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash set to be back on the floor, the Lakers are expected to make some playoff push after the All-Star break.

However, many basketball followers predicted the Lakers to come up short, if they don't make significant upgrades in their lineup. As the Feb 20 trade deadline draws near, the Lakers are suddenly scrambling to come up with a decent move before the trade window closes out.

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/535189/20140121/lakers-trade-rumors.htm#.Ut8a-SrTl5Q
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject:

erisian wrote:
Cha*n wrote:
Rawr wrote:

Kobe:
Quote:

your quote is incomplete; his full quote included a complaint about how weak fouls are considered flagrant in today's NBA. he's complaining about how today's NBA is less physical than the NBA of the past.

Quote:

Q: On whether the style of play has changed and evolved:

Bryant: Yeah, for sure. It’s more of a finesse game. It’s more small ball, which personally, I don’t really care much for. I like smash mouth, old school basketall because that’s what I grew up watching. I also think it’s much, much less physical; much, much less physical. Some of the flagrant fouls I see called nowadays, it makes me nauseous. You can’t touch a guy without it being called a flagrant foul. I think some of that or some of the negatives that I’ve seen change, but there are positives to it as well.

That's the title of the article and I didn't write it so can't change it. I'll just have no title for today.
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers have rebuilt on the fly before, but latest fix won't be quick

Three times in 35 years, Lakers have risen from disarray to championships in fairly short order. But the current challenge is huge.

After a 47-35 record in the 1978-79 season the Lakers drafted Magic Johnson with the No. 1 overall pick. The result: An NBA championship in 1980. ( Rick Stewart / Getty Images / January 1, 1987)
Also

Lakers lose in a different way as Bulls get 102-100 OT victory

Lakers' Kobe Bryant sounds off on 'finesse' play and NBA draft rules

Kobe Bryant, give it a rest

By Mike Bresnahan
January 21, 2014, 6:31 p.m.

The Lakers are a basketball mess. They've used 21 lineups in 42 games. They're 13th in the Western Conference. Kobe Bryant is at least two weeks away from returning from another injury, as are Steve Blake and Jordan Farmar. Steve Nash also hopes to come back next week, but if that fails. . . ?

It's no wonder Lakers fans are starting to dream of college stars Jabari Parker, Joel Embiid and Andrew Wiggins.

The fans hoped it wouldn't be this way earlier this season.

Their team was a surprisingly resilient 10-9 just before Christmas when Bryant came back from an Achilles' tendon injury, but he lasted six games before sustaining a fractured knee. He'll have missed another six or seven weeks because of that knee injury, surely sinking the Lakers' already marginal playoff chances.

The team has also suffered from a revolving door at point guard all season because of injuries. Blake has missed 21 games, Farmar has been sidelined for 20, and soon-to-be 40-year-old Nash has played in only six games.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers-bad-teams-20140122,0,2362690.story#ixzz2r5xw67Iq
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject:

Kobe No Fan of 'Finesse' NBA

Publish Date: Today, 11:14 AM ETDuration: 02:57

Video:
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=10327629&ex_cid=espnapi_public
kobe209
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject:

Swagtime Lakers

Nick is a trip

IG: wywsabaywb
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject:

Evan Turner, Spencer Hawes for Pau too good to be true....
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: