Jerry West Says 2014 NBA Draft is a “Poor one”
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Jerry West Says 2014 NBA Draft is a “Poor one”

LINK: Jerry West Says 2014 NBA Draft is a “Poor one” - Radio interview embedded in link (presumably old interview, btw but updated link)

Jerry West wrote:
“This is the weakest I’ve ever seen this league. We’re depending on kids that go to school for a year to come in and change the franchise. rarely does that ever happen. And Everyone talks about an incredible draft this year. I think its just the opposite. I think its a poor (draft) myself.”

“These franchises have really struggled. At one time you could get a branded name. These kids are not branded today. By that I mean a kid that’s been in school 3-4 years, people know they are. They’ve been tutored. They’re more mature, more experienced. those kind of players come in and make an impact right away.”

“But if you look at some of these kids. It takes about 3 years to really get going. For a team that’s struggling, you’re telling your fans that this player is gonna make us better and most fo the time it doesn’t happen today.”

West mentions that a player has to be able to play both ends (defense) and not just offense....

West mentions that he has always been thought to be 6-2½ but was really 6-4½ during his career....

West mentions that there are valid reasons why he will always feel bad about all the loses to the Celtics in the playoffs during his career....

West mentions it was a very "dirty league" when he played, no flagrant fouls in his day....

West says Lakers will figure it out.... but you can't be sure who Kobe will be post-injuries.... but Kobe will always be effective... Lack of draft picks are an issue with the Lakers... but he has confidence in Mitch.... it will take some time however....

West says the only think he knows well is basketball but no one has all the answers.... he says the is the weakest this league has been in years.... players coming into the league are not "branded", are at least 3 years away from contributing meaningfully....

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject:

Jerry really hurts his credibility on this one saying the league is the weakest he has ever seen it.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject:

Old and already locked in this forum once.

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=167543
dvdrdiscs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:
Jerry really hurts his credibility on this one saying the league is the weakest he has ever seen it.

I don't think he's completely off-base. The league, overall is really diluted. It's easy to guess which team will make it to the end. Even in the 90's, there was a lot more competition since superstars weren't all scrounging to play together.

Individual talent-wise? The league is as strong as ever.
calistrtballr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject:

he's right, East is a joke
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:

I think it has been weak since the last expansion. We see guys starting who might not have made a roster prior to expansion. The top of the league is strong, but the bottom half is horrible.

As for the draft, I agree with West. The idea that we are relying on a 18-19 yo kid to rebuild our fortunes is sickening.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject:

The league has a bunch of guys with a lot of talent and skill as individual players, but lack the skills and discipline to play great team ball. There are still several players that are good, but not as much as there used to be.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
The league has a bunch of guys with a lot of talent and skill as individual players, but lack the skills and discipline to play great team ball. There are still several players that are good, but not as much as there used to be.

That is why they need to raise the entry age to 21. Make them develop a game..
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Old and already locked in this forum once.

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=167543

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:

I think it has been weak since the last expansion. We see guys starting who might not have made a roster prior to expansion. The top of the league is strong, but the bottom half is horrible.

As for the draft, I agree with West. The idea that we are relying on a 18-19 yo kid to rebuild our fortunes is sickening.

Yep. And I didn't get to read a Cuban article where he states the D-League is better than collage for these kids but these guys need time to develop. The answer may be that teams get better at using their D-League to develop these kids before they are launched as national products.

In that sense you always have some exemptions, but in general the D-legaue could be better utilized by teams to groom these young potentials...So maybe you have 3-4 guys being groomed in the d-league while using a 10-11 man rotation. Or us the d-league as your own farm system, ala baseball, to bring guys along, instead have having these kids on your bench with no PT.

San Antonio has also Drafted guys that stay in EU for a few more years as an alternative but having them in the US may be better as they can adopt and learn your teams style of play before jumping into the NBA...

Just thoughts...
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject:

The teams just need to bite the bullet and pay their D League players decent money. Paying $75,000 a season wouldn't kill any team, especially if the league paid for 1/4 of the salary. They need to look at is as an investment, not an expense.
SDLakersFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject:

He thinks this draft is weak? That poor man is going senile.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
The teams just need to bite the bullet and pay their D League players decent money. Paying $75,000 a season wouldn't kill any team, especially if the league paid for 1/4 of the salary. They need to look at is as an investment, not an expense.

Agreed !!!
M2K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject:

West is 100% correct. This is a weak draft and if teams are looking for "the next" superstar, their in for a big disappointment. It's no wonder they've compared Joel E with Hakeem and Exum with MJ... just to hype up this draft.

Also... the most talented team outside of Miami is Oklahoma... Miami's best two players are better than Oklahoma's best two players... and Miami's supporting players are better too. So the league is pretty much Miami's with no real competition (especially with an aging Spurs team).

As for the Lakers... does anyone really believe plugging in a 18 or 19 year old will have any real impact on 2014? I don't.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:
lol. i've been saying this for the past few years have i not. now jerry says it too. people who are old enough to remember will tell you. the league is watered down. you can pull stats to prove it is. because rules have been changed to puff up these players stats.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject:

SDLakersFan wrote:
He thinks this draft is weak? That poor man is going senile.

I think he believes (and I agree) that any draft that includes guys who aren't even old enough to drink is weaker than a draft that does.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject:

M2K wrote:
West is 100% correct. This is a weak draft and if teams are looking for "the next" superstar, their in for a big disappointment. It's no wonder they've compared Joel E with Hakeem and Exum with MJ... just to hype up this draft.

Also... the most talented team outside of Miami is Oklahoma... Miami's best two players are better than Oklahoma's best two players... and Miami's supporting players are better too. So the league is pretty much Miami's with no real competition (especially with an aging Spurs team).

As for the Lakers... does anyone really believe plugging in a 18 or 19 year old will have any real impact on 2014? I don't.

They have to compare them to established players because they haven't played enough to give us a definition of who they are.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject:

This is the same Jerry West that drafted Kobe Bryant out of High School, right?
BigBoi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject:

The league is so soft now, you really don't need to have much skill nowadays to score 19ppg with over 50% fg shooting, if you drive to the basket and throw yourself at the defender or act like you got touched, you get to shoot automatic free throws. If you actually get whacked, well thats a flagrant 2. The best players in the league are floppers, much be tough for Jerry West having to watch this every night.

Last edited by BigBoi on Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

Since Kobe isn't in this draft I don't see any reason that he is relevant? Unless you expect West to act on his personal beliefs over what is best for his team? West plays by the rules even if he doesn't necessarily agree with them.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

There will always be special individuals..kobe, kg, lebron... but generally speaking that's "probably" not the case...
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Since Kobe isn't in this draft I don't see any reason that he is relevant? Unless you expect West to act on his personal beliefs over what is best for his team? West plays by the rules even if he doesn't necessarily agree with them.

That fact that it's what's best for the team is what contradicts his personal beliefs. On one hand, he's talking about it being terrible for the league, when in reality he selected that kind of player because it's what was best for his team.

I can't think of any industry where 4 years of college is superior to 4 years of on the job training. If Kobe went to college for 4 years, his rookie year would have been the 2000-01 season. I find it extremely unlikely that he would have been the monster he was then (or if you go with West's argument, perhaps even better) if he had spent the previous 4 years at Duke rather than going up against the best professional basketball players in the world with access to the best facilities.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject:

deal wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

There will always be special individuals..kobe, kg, lebron... but generally speaking that's "probably" not the case...

It's not just the special ones. Take Andre Drummond, for example. He went from being the consensus #1 overall pick, to being forced to go to UCONN for a year, where he fell to #9 in the draft and lost millions of dollars. I can't think of one element of his game that was developed while he was there. Then he goes to the pros and magically becomes the monster he was projected to be in the first place.

Meanwhile, rawer-than-sushi Andrew Bynum gets to go to the best franchise on the planet and get individual tutoring from KAJ rather than being "developed" in college.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
deal wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

It's not just the special ones. Take Andre Drummond, for example. He went from being the consensus #1 overall pick, to being forced to go to UCONN for a year, where he fell to #9 in the draft and lost millions of dollars. I can't think of one element of his game that was developed while he was there. Then he goes to the pros and magically becomes the monster he was projected to be in the first place.

Meanwhile, rawer-than-sushi Andrew Bynum gets to go to the best franchise on the planet and get individual tutoring from KAJ rather than being "developed" in college.

Yeah, again as I wrote above, some combination of better use of the d-league should come to play. While d-leaguers should be better compensated than today.
There's lots of money out there that goes to current players and the owners; some of it should be spent by teams and the league on player development for sure, making the d-league have a greater purpose....
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
deal wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

let me add to this.

jerry west is right. but at the same time no one is talking about college no longer being that great of a developmental league.

proof. lets say its the late 80's early 90's. if you here about some big giant doe boy named andrew bynum. what college should he go to, so he would end up a great bigman?

GEORGETOWN. but that no longer exists anymore. yes the school does but a literal farm system for great bigs no longer exist anymore. even the calls they make on the court are designed for a more perimeter oriented game and not for a great big to succeed. i've seen this happen when oden was in ohio state. its almost as if the college game hates bigmen similar to the nba NOW.

thats a problem. it means if i'm 6'10 plus i aint going to college for more then 1 year if i have a shot at the nba. because i wont grow as a player.

so no more developed bigs means your bigs are raw. means like jw said it will take years before they are good to go. how long did it take for drew to get it going? like 3 seasons. if he would've never been hurt. 3 years would been enough to put him on that allstar track.

but you would've had to deal with those 3 years of so so play. since their was no g-town to send him to for a couple of seasons.

g-town taught bigs how to be big. box out, keep the ball high, power up, post and pivot, jump hooks, get yourself a little 10 footer. and man the paint. send shots back but also be a great man defender.

i've said this many times in here. most people (even basketball minds) dont know what to do with big men. they think they are only there to set screens and hustle. so they dont take the time they need to groom them into a pat ewing, zo or andrew bynum(healthy). imagine if roy hibbert went to the old georgetown. at least he went to gtown and got something. but it wasnt like it use to be. but guess who's one of the top bigs in the nba? Roy hibbert. proves my point.

the bigs die, the league starts to get softer and softer.

now you have no where to go as a perimeter baller where coaches will be able to teach you how to become a solid facilitator (ghill was taught by coach k), and a solid defender (cincinatti, kentucky, etc). because the cant keep you for longer then 1 season. cause these gm's have to have you like yesterday. so they cant wait. because there are no bigs to hold the team down until you grow up in college and then get drafted.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: