AN ORAL HISTORY OF LAKERS-KINGS, 2002 WCF
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Haha. Interesting point by Jerry Reynolds on the Horry 3 game-winner.

Quote:
I still say it’s a very poor play by Horry because the Lakers were down two … here’s their power forward standing 25 feet away from the basket. His butt should have been on the boards. What’s he doing? Protecting the backcourt?

He was setting himself up for the game-winner duh..
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject:

KobeStark wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
gus26 wrote:
where24happens wrote:
TRULY the best years. One Robert Horry 3 away from likely 4PEAT in 2003. Can't have em all i suppose.

And if the don't take Detroit lightly and Malone doesn't get hurt it's 5 in a row

And if Shaq and Kobe weren't big babies it might have even been more.

And if Perkins doesn't get hurt, we might have had one less in 2010. =(

Just to point out, if Perkins/Garnett were not allowed to set moving screens ALL THE TIME, the Celtics don't even have a chance.

Yes, I'm still holding a grudge about the 2008 Championship, treating Leon Powe like he was Lebron or something.

If they weren't allowed to set moving screens all the time we still could have lost.

The what if game is so silly. It's always designed to give us more wins and rings, not less. But no one ever plays it for the ones where we won.
Brandon98
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 5:56 am    Post subject:

Got nostalgic and watched Game 7 2002 WCF last night. (bleep) hell of a game. Literally felt like Shaq, Kobe, Fish, Fox, and Horry played all 48 + OT that game. Man, we had no bench, but literally the two best players in the league and three smart roleplayers with huge cajones.
Who Takes The Blame
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:53 am    Post subject:

Even the Kings had a chance to beat the Lakers but people will always remember this game as the most rigged game in NBA history.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject:

Who Takes The Blame wrote:
Even the Kings had a chance to beat the Lakers but people will always remember this game as the most rigged game in NBA history.

At the end of the day the Kings blew it...they had home court advantage and still managed to lose 2 out of 4 games on their home court.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject:

as much as i hated the kings, that rivalry man. One of the best sports memories i have.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Great series. Horrible officiating. Bad cheesecake and burgers.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:
as much as i hated the kings, that rivalry man. One of the best sports memories i have.

I lived in Davis (short drive from Sac) and I had to endure all the hate firsthand!

I'll never forget going to WCF game 1 with my roommate in his Stojakovic jersey. That place was freaking LOUD.
hig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
I still remember laughing when Peja missed that 3 in game 7. And then laughing hysterically when Christie shot a brick so hard I could feel it in rancho cucamonga. I knew we had them and the queens were too nervous to really play

A tribute to their airballs!

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject:

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject:

hig wrote:
22 wrote:
I still remember laughing when Peja missed that 3 in game 7. And then laughing hysterically when Christie shot a brick so hard I could feel it in rancho cucamonga. I knew we had them and the queens were too nervous to really play

Yesss!! Thanks hig
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
Great series. Horrible officiating. Bad cheesecake and burgers.

One of those 600s channels on Direct re-airs old SportsCentury epis. Recently saw one on Jordan's flu game (97 Finals, Gm 5). Chip Schaefer and some other tru inzidrs were part of it and they said he there was no vomiting or diarrhea. He had some inner ear balance and anemia condition and they gave him 5-6 cups of coffee in the hours before the game.

I had what I was certain was food poisoning a few yrs ago. As with Kob and Mike, I had some take-out (kung Pau from Panda Xpress) and about 5-6 hours later I was in misery. I felt that kind of uneasy stomach twinge about an hour before go-time that lets you know you're in for a long night. Thankfully, I'm not one of the obsessed anti-MJ guys who thinks his flu gm was made up, so right off the bat, I don't have an axe to grind when I say that I believe Kobe had the tougher go of it. I'd rather be dizzy and weak and drink some coffee than have to pull up my black road socks and play hard after 5 or more rounds of poo 'n vomit. I do think Mike slumping in his chair and the rest of the guys putting the icepack on his neck was a little exaggerated.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject:

hig wrote:
22 wrote:

Glorious.

!...
Jeffs
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject:

KobeStark wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
gus26 wrote:
where24happens wrote:
TRULY the best years. One Robert Horry 3 away from likely 4PEAT in 2003. Can't have em all i suppose.

And if the don't take Detroit lightly and Malone doesn't get hurt it's 5 in a row

And if Shaq and Kobe weren't big babies it might have even been more.

And if Perkins doesn't get hurt, we might have had one less in 2010. =(

Just to point out, if Perkins/Garnett were not allowed to set moving screens ALL THE TIME, the Celtics don't even have a chance.

Yes, I'm still holding a grudge about the 2008 Championship, treating Leon Powe like he was Lebron or something.

Honestly one of the most infuriating games I have ever witnessed. It's not a coincidence that Leon Powe ended up taking more FTs than our entire team (in under 15mins played!!!) on the night when they ran a special about him during halftime. The calls that game were downright criminal. People talk about the FT disparity in game 6 in 2002, but the Lakers only took 15 FTs more than the Kings that game, which isn't all that ridiculous when you consider that they had two of the highest volume FT shooters in the NBA. The Celtics had a 38-10 FT differential in game 2 in 2008. I'm not going to look up if that's the largest disparity in finals history, but it's damn close if it isn't. The fact that a big chunk of that disparity came from a role-player who was being featured during halftime just makes the entire game that much more suspicious.

I feel like I just watched someone TRULY give 100%. Not the BS I'm-gonna-give-a-110%-just-like-everyone-else-says platitudes, but someone that went until he just....broke. - GT
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:36 am    Post subject:

OCWA wrote:
Great read. I was glad to hear others say that Sac had more talent top to bottom. The myth that Phil Jackson's teams always had the most talent is a bit tiresome. Go back and look at some of the rosters that Phil won titles with.

sac might have more talent judging position by position down the roster, but they did not have the best overall talent, Kobe and Shaq were so far superior the depth of the kings didn't eclipse the lakers superior talent.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 7:35 pm    Post subject:

20 Year Anniversary!

Game 1

Game 2

Game 3

Game 4
(@2h52m)
Game 5
(@2h6m) <-- Off C-Webb
Game 6

Game 7
(@1h13m) (@1h23m) (@1h29m)
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 2:20 am    Post subject:

Fantastic read, brings back memories, def vlade’s flopping lol
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 3:29 am    Post subject:

Man it's been 20 years.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 2:05 pm    Post subject:

I loved the lakers kings series. There was never a doubt.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 4:13 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Fantastic read, brings back memories, def vlade’s flopping lol

I remember getting a "Stop the Flop" sign handed to me when entering Staples for the game when Horry hit the Game winner and broke Sacramento for good.

The flopping was so bad they were actually passing those out to the crowd.

The two single worst officiated games of that series by the way were Game 2 and Game 5, both in favor of the Queens.
Luis5150
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 4:22 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
That game 5 was such bs

OMG!! yes.... is funny (nah.. mostly selective laker-hating amnesia..) how everyone focus on the supposed laker-favored game 6 officiating all the while ignoring how blatantly Kings-favored that officiating was on game 5. Shaq fouling out with over 5 minutes left in the 4th with some fantom fouls that shouldn't have been called. And off course, Webber's illegal screen on Fisher no-call on that shot by Bibby that gave the Kings the lead for good with seconds left on the 4th..
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 12:29 am    Post subject:

Grantland ruled.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 12:57 am    Post subject:

Looked at some YouTube comments (yeah I know, can’t expect much from that) and there were people making comments like “I’m a Laker fan and even I know game 6 was rigged.”

Of course those comments got a bunch of thumbs up and positive replies. That was painful to read. Is anyone on this forum thinking the same thing?
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 1:01 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Looked at some YouTube comments (yeah I know, can’t expect much from that) and there were people making comments like “I’m a Laker fan and even I know game 6 was rigged.”

Of course those comments got a bunch of thumbs up and positive replies. That was painful to read. Is anyone on this forum thinking the same thing?

Those people are the worst. So starved and desperate for positive attention, they'll traffic in conspiracy and slime themselves with goo to feel the teensiest bit welcomed.
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

Those people are the worst. So starved and desperate for positive attention, they'll traffic in conspiracy and slime themselves with goo to feel the teensiest bit welcomed.

Those ain’t “real” Laker fans. Just a bunch of dumb know-nothing fair weather fans who give Laker fans a bad name. Those are also the ones that say the dumbest things to make people think that all Laker fans are stupid.

Pay no attention to anyone who gotta say and I’m a Lakers fan after a BS statement … if you gotta justify yourself by saying that already.. well, there’s really not much to be said there.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: