LAKERS -at- HAWKS - 11-18-14 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bws94
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject:

LakersPimp wrote:
Great win!
Kobe was on the end of the most horrific lapses in Defense though. The pass to Sefalosha that he wasn't even aware of, and the EASY pass back to Antic for the WIDE open 3. He easily frustrated the nice offensive flow the last 6 minutes by either shooting, or solely making the scoring pass. Lin has to do a better job of NOT giving him the ball every time down the court in the 4th.

Thats how the Spurs get so good, they give every player an opportunity to succeed or fail during clutch time, so when the playoffs arrive they all have a comfort factor in many game situations. The Lakers (Kobe specifically) rarely give other players the opportunity. I hope we can adjust that. Kobe needs to throttle it down to the last 2 minutes. I think he feels he gets the whole fourth quarter.

Lin played well until the D focused on him. He gets rattled..and reverts to bad decisions...loosely dribbling, and jumping to pass.

Wes...needs spot minutes. He can't or refuses to make dribbles going toward the basket...It kills me!!

Swaggy is my favorite Laker right now. Kobe is a legend...but Swaggy brings the Joy thats so refreshing to watch...reminiscent of Magic.

Hill has been a workhorse! I like his game and fearlessness...He doesnt back down! His jumper has been off though.

Boozer needs to be benched...he D is so horrible. Everyone he guarded scored effortlessly.

Davis needs to start...and practice free throws.

Ronnie Price needs the Tyronne Lue treatment. He isn't a good backup PG...he has all the tools but it never comes together. He is quick, but goes nowhere. Weird! Marshall would be better for this team...surprisingly.

Clarkson needs to be the backup PG. I enjoy his game although he needs to work on his passing. But with Swaggy back the spacing should be better for him.

Sacre....made a nice jumpshot

Lin, Ellington, Kobe, Davis, Hill Starting 5...if they are hell bent on not starting Nick Young

First sub Swaggy for Ellington, then Boozer for Davis. Then Price for Lin and Clarkson for Kobe. Then Davis back for Hill. Then Ellington back for Price.

I should be the coach!!!

I like this analysis. I think Clarkson should play, what position I'm not sure. Just say guard, seems more of an SG right now than PG. Price has been better, he had a rough game. He's not a scorer. I'd rather Lin turn it over a few times and have high assists than play tentative and I'll take a 10A/3TO game any day. Lin played well overall but understood Kobe time. And Kobe had a nice game, Kobe time came with its ups and downs but some of it resulted in huge makes. Kobe and Lin 2 man PnR was nice to see. Swaggy played really well and lightens up the team. The guys look like they had fun with him out there. Davis wasn't as efficient as usual, but he and Lin are a force together, and I agree he needs to get better at FT. Didn't foul much so that's an improvement for him. Boozer did sink shots, but his D is just terrible or as Sir Charles would say, turribel. Hill kind of saved the game off a few ill-advised shots from Kobe and one miss from Swaggy. Or was it Davis that had the Swaggy miss tip? As for Byron, no Boozer in end of games, learn from Thibs. And his minutes management and rotations are suspect.

DB rocks as usual, he's a true gift on this board.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
Thx DB. Completely agree on all points.

Good
- Better effort getting back on D in transition. It helped that ATL wasn't as quick up the floor off the inbounds though.
- Nick Young showing how badly he was missed
- They actually swung the ball back to the weakside on this one and got key 3s out of it.
- Hill abusing the ATL bigs on offensive boards
- Staying at home on Korver and only letting him take 5 threes
- Lin and Kobe yelling at Boozer for his defensive breakdowns

Bad
- Offense is still pretty much just isolations and pick and rolls with no setup. There were some ugly possessions but good individual performances from several players carried the O, as well as the Hawk's ineffective strategy of always trapping the PnR ball handler.
- On D they again left 3 point shooters wide open to help on 2 point jumpers. Maybe it was by design because no one besides Korver could shoot, but it's not going to fly against most teams.
- Some breakdowns on the pick and roll D made it too easy sometimes. They were show-ing a lot more in this one, but not really clear if it helped or not overall
- Like DB said, no rebounder on the last FT. If they were worried about FT %, Sacre and Boozer shoot at least as good as Price does from the line.

Ugly
- Still not playing Ed Davis enough meaningful minutes when he's the best big man on BOTH offense and defense and leads the team in +/- by a large margin. Also, as DB noted, they played Boozer in crunchtime over him, when they really needed a defender.
- Still playing Wes Johnson major minutes when you have Swaggy P back.
- Not playing Clarkson a single minute when Wes Johnson is stinking the place up and doing things like running away from Korver and letting him shoot a wide open corner 3. I mean the dude was only shooting 60% from 3 this year.
- Wes Johnson

Sad but true
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject:

The return of Swaggy P! Can't help but like the guy. He's the funniest interviewee since MWP.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject:

Klone_dd wrote:
The return of Swaggy P! Can't help but like the guy. He's the funniest interviewee since MWP.

SWAGGY IS A BREATH OF FRESH AIR IN AN ALREADY STALE SEASON.
freethrow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject:

So I guess turning Hill into a jumpshooting center experiment is over
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject:

freethrow wrote:

Yea but he still needs to shoot 100 a day in practice
cheesysapien
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject:

bws94 wrote:
LakersPimp wrote:
Great win!
Kobe was on the end of the most horrific lapses in Defense though. The pass to Sefalosha that he wasn't even aware of, and the EASY pass back to Antic for the WIDE open 3. He easily frustrated the nice offensive flow the last 6 minutes by either shooting, or solely making the scoring pass. Lin has to do a better job of NOT giving him the ball every time down the court in the 4th.

Thats how the Spurs get so good, they give every player an opportunity to succeed or fail during clutch time, so when the playoffs arrive they all have a comfort factor in many game situations. The Lakers (Kobe specifically) rarely give other players the opportunity. I hope we can adjust that. Kobe needs to throttle it down to the last 2 minutes. I think he feels he gets the whole fourth quarter.

Lin played well until the D focused on him. He gets rattled..and reverts to bad decisions...loosely dribbling, and jumping to pass.

Wes...needs spot minutes. He can't or refuses to make dribbles going toward the basket...It kills me!!

Swaggy is my favorite Laker right now. Kobe is a legend...but Swaggy brings the Joy thats so refreshing to watch...reminiscent of Magic.

Hill has been a workhorse! I like his game and fearlessness...He doesnt back down! His jumper has been off though.

Boozer needs to be benched...he D is so horrible. Everyone he guarded scored effortlessly.

Davis needs to start...and practice free throws.

Ronnie Price needs the Tyronne Lue treatment. He isn't a good backup PG...he has all the tools but it never comes together. He is quick, but goes nowhere. Weird! Marshall would be better for this team...surprisingly.

Clarkson needs to be the backup PG. I enjoy his game although he needs to work on his passing. But with Swaggy back the spacing should be better for him.

Sacre....made a nice jumpshot

Lin, Ellington, Kobe, Davis, Hill Starting 5...if they are hell bent on not starting Nick Young

First sub Swaggy for Ellington, then Boozer for Davis. Then Price for Lin and Clarkson for Kobe. Then Davis back for Hill. Then Ellington back for Price.

I should be the coach!!!

I like this analysis. I think Clarkson should play, what position I'm not sure. Just say guard, seems more of an SG right now than PG. Price has been better, he had a rough game. He's not a scorer. I'd rather Lin turn it over a few times and have high assists than play tentative and I'll take a 10A/3TO game any day. Lin played well overall but understood Kobe time. And Kobe had a nice game, Kobe time came with its ups and downs but some of it resulted in huge makes. Kobe and Lin 2 man PnR was nice to see. Swaggy played really well and lightens up the team. The guys look like they had fun with him out there. Davis wasn't as efficient as usual, but he and Lin are a force together, and I agree he needs to get better at FT. Didn't foul much so that's an improvement for him. Boozer did sink shots, but his D is just terrible or as Sir Charles would say, turribel. Hill kind of saved the game off a few ill-advised shots from Kobe and one miss from Swaggy. Or was it Davis that had the Swaggy miss tip? As for Byron, no Boozer in end of games, learn from Thibs. And his minutes management and rotations are suspect.

DB rocks as usual, he's a true gift on this board.

So true. Sometimes the negativity of some posters can be discouraging. But DB's post is one of the gems!
"We have a lot of guys that have been kinda discarded ... Myself with the injury and the age. Jeremy ... a bunch of players who other teams really felt they had no use for. So we have that kind of attitude built into ourselves" -- Kobe Bryant
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject:

freethrow wrote:

He still needs to be effective there. Just don't make it a staple of the offense.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject:

12 wrote:
Great recap! Thanks DB, always a pleasure to read, especially after the wins. Tonight, I had the siblings and friends gathered around while I read this aloud. Haha, it felt like I was reading a bedtime story.

Wins have been hard to come by. Got to savor each one.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject:

cheesysapien wrote:
Thanks DB! I also loved when Lin screamed at Boozer

Loved seeing some defensive leadership. We need as much of that as we can get. But really like seeing him get animated like that. Probably one of the lasting memories from this game. More please.
cheesysapien
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
cheesysapien wrote:

Loved seeing some defensive leadership. We need as much of that as we can get. But really like seeing him get animated like that. Probably one of the lasting memories from this game. More please.

Yes, it was good seeing Lin like that and no hard feelings afterwards http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/h9XxIdXzUys/
Lin: " We are now flying to Houston. My friend is always eating" (video is a little slow to upload)
"We have a lot of guys that have been kinda discarded ... Myself with the injury and the age. Jeremy ... a bunch of players who other teams really felt they had no use for. So we have that kind of attitude built into ourselves" -- Kobe Bryant
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject:

cheesysapien wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
cheesysapien wrote:
Yes, it was good seeing Lin like that and no hard feelings afterwards http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/h9XxIdXzUys/
Lin: " We are now flying to Houston. My friend is always eating" (video is a little slow to upload)
JLin is starting to understand his DFish-like role he must embrace to be effective for a winning team.

Good to see videos on Chinese media. In my current travels in China (Beijing to Qingdao to Suzhou to Shenzhen - Kobe is the #1 topic
lakefan24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject:

Never get tired of reading these. Go Lakers!
rockets killer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
cheesysapien wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
cheesysapien wrote:
JLin is starting to understand his DFish-like role he must embrace to be effective for a winning team.

Good to see videos on Chinese media. In my current travels in China (Beijing to Qingdao to Suzhou to Shenzhen - Kobe is the #1 topic

If all goes well in LakerLand this season, the off season china tour for these 2 if combined would be the mount everest of tours.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: