LAKERS -at- ROCKETS - 11-19-14 - DIY Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: LAKERS -at- ROCKETS - 11-19-14 - DIY Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

Post them here. Let me know what happened.
Honeybadger81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: LAKERS -at- ROCKETS - 11-19-14 - DIY Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

DancingBarry wrote:

Damn, waiting for your recap!
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject:

Sorry, traveled all day and I have no idea what happened. Time for LG to step up.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers did NOT allow the opponent to score 90+ points in 3 quarters. In fact, the Rockets barely managed 92 in 4 quarters. Result: Laker victory.
freethrow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject:

With the Rockets missing their best player in Howard, our front court had a size advantage for the first time this season. We won this game on the boards. Double doubles for both Hill and Boozer + 11 rebounds for Davis in 19 min. Rockets were launching threes like crazy. Kobe almost chucked us out of the game. Harden choked in the clutch. Wes came up huge in the final minute with a steal and layup + clutch free throws. We're now undefeated in the Swaggy era.
hopandskip
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject:

One of those - don't know how we won - 2nd night of a backToback - games. Just made more plays than the Rockets at the end. Wes with the big-time steal.

Lakes looked dead in the water and short on fuel whilst trailing by 8 pts at the beginning of the 4th. But since we've come back from 17 pts in the 4th this year, there's hope if the other team starts missing shots and the Lakes get easy ones. Calls and balls started bouncing in LAs direction.

Rockets lived and died by the 3. Harden does not look right. They have no good big men with D12 and Jones out. They seemed to run out of gas while the Lakes got energized in the last 6 minutes of the game.

Getting Young back is a big deal. He brings the offense off the bench in an effective way; he and Kobe shared the ball at the end of the 4th and were both effective - Kobe looked like he wanted to take a break while staying on the floor and let Young bring it up and initiate the offense a few times.

Byron sat Boozer the last minutes of the 4th cause he wasn't doing anything. Rockets bench is not so great; they're not deep at all.
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: LAKERS -at- ROCKETS - 11-19-14 - DIY Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

DancingBarry wrote:

I know we won by looking at your beautiful smile.
How we won, I have no idea.
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject:

My small contribution.

Kobe: Shot the ball a bit too much still this time, but wasn't shooting the team out of rhythm too much. Clutch free throws. Clutch offense. D was passable from him personally. Thankfully they didn't need Kobe to be the bail the team out completely.

Boozer: Offense was mostly jumpers and a good deal of them hit. Needed to attack the paint more and settled too much. Seemed a bit more aggressive with the rebounding tonight.

Davis: Last line of defense was getting some put backs and had a tremendous dunk block. Was playing above his head or at least salary.

Lin: Wasn't playing the best game, was out played by Beverly.

Johnson: Had a pretty good last few sequences including the clutch steal and found play. D was ok today, Harden didn't go off like the last game, due to the D he played a part in.

Swaggy: Didn't astound stat wise, but helped alleviate Kobe a bit of the scoring load. Also played decent D. He helped with giving the defense against him another look other than focusing strictly on Kobe especially when they were paired together. Kobe would look for him.

Hill: Decent game, had his jumper from the top of the key working most of the night including a sequence where he hit 3 from virtually the same spot in the span of 2 minutes. Rebounding was OK.

Team as a whole: The D was good, but hard to tell how that would have gone with Dwight in the middle but he had an "injury" and couldn't play. One wonders if that was related to his chile abuse accusations again?
They shot more threes than I anticipated, but also gave up a ton of 3 point opportunities to the Rockets while playing better D overall, go figure. The Rockets were hitting in the first half, not nearly as much in the second half. As for Harden, he didn't get off until the second half of the game to get the same amount as Kobe did. Lakers just about doubled the inside the paint scoring versus the Rockets.

A hard come from ahead and then behind win. Glad they could claw their way back for a change.

DB, you would have liked this game.

Bye.
rockets killer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject:

I got a feeling that if this team makes it to the playoffs were could survive the first round.
automatic
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

After a crappy day at work, this game made me HAPPY!

Missed you DB, hope you had a good trip.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

Was a frustrating game overall to watch because the Lakers should have blown out this depleted team without Howard and Jones, but were playing from behind due to the same issues they've always had. But at the very end the guys who were making you frustrated came through in the clutch.

Kobe with the And 1. Wes with the steal. Byron recognizing that McHale had no option B to the Harden iso and sending the double on him way out there on the court.

Good
- Jordan Hill feasting on the Rockets 2nd/3rd string bigmen, especially with those drives that came out of nowhere
- Overall effort despite being the 2nd game of a back to back
- Ed Davis being a beast as always in limited minutes, especially with that rejection against the board
- Swaggy making some key plays to keep the Lakers in it, despite not shooting well
- All around clutchness in the final minutes

Bad
- Kobe and JLin did not play good games. They looked they were tired from the day before. JLin responded by disappearing. Kobe responded by jacking up shots that even he had no business taking.
- The Lakers defense continued their outdated ways of overrotating to jam the paint and leaving 3pt shooters wide open. I mean "no one within 20 feet" open. If they had cleaned this up, they would have taken this game early.
- The continued puzzling benching of Ed Davis and DNP for Clarkson. There was one point where the announcers were talking about how good Davis was playing and how Boozer was struggling, and then Byron subs Davis out and leaves Boozer in
- I know Wes came through in the end, but other than that he didn't show anything to deserve 36 minutes

Ugly
- Both the Lakers and Rockets 1 on 5 offense in the 4th. The Lakers ended up outscoring the Rockets 28-17 in that quarter but don't be fooled- it was UGLY
- At one point Wes was playing PF and they sent him to set the pick for Kobe instead of Hill, when they could have had four shooters to spread the floor. It was as if they were purposely intending for Kobe to shoot a contested fadeaway jumper so that Hill could get the rebound.
- D. Howard, probably not wanting to face questions about his legal troubles on national TV did not show up, clearing hanging his team execs out to dry in their on-air interviews.

Also: I said bananas would die if Wes played more minutes than Swaggy, so-
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject:

What a game... Houston has a problem. Lakers almost fell apart, the game was sloppy as hell, it was looking like a blowout loss, but that shut down was beautiful.

Some Kudos:

Kobe - volume shooter tonight he found his rhythm when we needed it most. Huge effort late.

Hill -Kinda like that oversized co-worker who insists the thermostat stays at 62, Hill got red hot when everyone else was freezing. Good effort on both ends of the court.

Wes - Looked awful at times, hero of the game making a fool out of Harden for the steal, bucket, lead, and clutch and-1 free throw. Said he knew Hill and co. had his back with lots of talking on defense so he could play Harden more aggressively.

Swaggy friggin' Peee - It makes a huge difference having two real threats out there, not just Kobe.

Ed Davis - needs LOTS more PT.

And finally - kudos to Jason Terry for one heckuva good laugh. Richly deserved pwnership. Now go punish someone else with your 5 points on 2-7 shooting.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject:

Great job with the write-ups, guys.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject:

My write up is simple: jason terry is going to have to take this loss out on Dwight's kids...
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject:

Few more uglies that I forgot-

- The refs- really inconsistent job by the ref crew. They would let teams take turns getting bad calls all night. Kobe and Lin were just hammered on some possessions with no call.

- Kobe playing 37 and 40 min in back to back nights
LAKERMIKE2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:59 am    Post subject:

Com'on guys don't blow that top 5 draft pick!!!

Hope these gift wins don't come back & haunt us...
HC: Riley
H0B0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:26 am    Post subject:

Great W in b2b for LAKERS. GO LAKERS ..
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:21 am    Post subject:

of all people

wesley freaking johnson coming up with the win

loool

You should watch a condensed version or something when you have the time DB !
jlinfan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject:

Besides being a B2B, I think the buildup and hype of facing Howard affected the guys. When it was announced he was scratched I think it was anti-climatic and deflated the guys. They came out flat.

For me, the game was a bit frustrating to watch - Rockets weren't shooting well and we had many chances to pull away but couldn't get in any sort of rhythm. Can't say we played great D, gave up a lot open looks but at least Harden didn't kill us which is what you want.

LIN: 30min /1-5 FG / 0-0 FT / 4 AST / 5 TO / +5 / 3 PTS
His numbers were a good reflection of his game ie. non-factor, he just didn't have it last night. Was surprised to see him subbed in to close 4th, probably to spread the floor. On D he was burned a few times by giving up too much space on the 3. All-in-all, he has to find a way to contribute when he has games like this.

Refs always seem to miss more calls against than for but really a non factor.

Every time Hill gets the ball at the top of the key and settles for long 2 I hold my breath. But he kept us in the game.

Last minute was exciting and great to see Wes drain those two free throws and finally letting out some emotion after the Harden steal - great to see.

A win is a win and even better on the B2B.

Victory is even sweeter when it comes against the Rockets.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:02 am    Post subject:

The good: we won

The bad:
The same no defense on the three. We made some guy named papanicolas (saNta?) Look like curry.

Kobe still forcing some shots and not playying defense.
Lin was horrie again wth 5 turnovers.
Clarkson gets zero playing time
Davis doesn't get enough playing time while we have sacre thinking he's a jump shooter

One thing ive noticed is that Scott doesn't call time outs does he?
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject:

Lin was tired and harrassed by Beverly all night long. More turnovers than points or assists.

Boozer started off well hitting his jumper but he was off the second half. Missed a lot of open shots. Saw effort on D as well as a block.

Kobe was streaky tonight. Started off missing, went on a run then started missing again. With Lin and Boozer off the second half, he was jacking up shots left and right to try and keep us in the game.

Wes was in invisible mode on offense but held Hardin in check most of the game. Steal at the end of the game was the play of the day.

Hill was being left open at the free throw line and was hitting but we did not go to him very often. Could have had a bigger night offensively if he had gotten the ball more.

Price played good D as usual but was very passive on offense. With Lin struggling I expected him to step up but he did not.

Swaggy P played within himself for the first three quarters then lit it up in the fourth. Scott moved Kobe to PG and put Swaggy at SG with both Lin and Price on the bench for a while in the fourth. Kobe was giving Swaggy the ball and well Swaggy was being Swaggy.

Davis was giving his usual effort but teams have scouted him out and are waiting on his spin moves around the basket. He needs to work on a turn around jumper / jump hook to get them to lay off the spin moves.

Sacre played seven minutes to give Hill and Davis some rest but was invisible. 1-2 shooting with no rebounds.
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:

The bad:
The same no defense on the three. We made some guy named papanicolas (saNta?) Look like curry.

Davis doesn't get enough playing time while we have sacre thinking he's a jump shooter

Didn't Clarkson get sent to the D-League? I thought he and X were down there.
jlinfan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject:

Laker7 wrote:
Laker_Town wrote:

The bad:

Didn't Clarkson get sent to the D-League? I thought he and X were down there.

As strange as it sounds, they were sent down to play one game then returned the next day.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
What a game... Houston has a problem. Lakers almost fell apart, the game was sloppy as hell, it was looking like a blowout loss, but that shut down was beautiful.

Some Kudos:

Kobe - volume shooter tonight he found his rhythm when we needed it most. Huge effort late.

Hill -Kinda like that oversized co-worker who insists the thermostat stays at 62, Hill got red hot when everyone else was freezing. Good effort on both ends of the court.

Wes - Looked awful at times, hero of the game making a fool out of Harden for the steal, bucket, lead, and clutch and-1 free throw. Said he knew Hill and co. had his back with lots of talking on defense so he could play Harden more aggressively.

Swaggy friggin' Peee - It makes a huge difference having two real threats out there, not just Kobe.

Ed Davis - needs LOTS more PT.

And finally - kudos to Jason Terry for one heckuva good laugh. Richly deserved pwnership. Now go punish someone else with your 5 points on 2-7 shooting.

Your first sentence sums up my general feelings, Too Much. Like DB, I was traveling and had to rely on an old, fuzzy 19 inch tv and the ESPN broadcast. For the life of me I couldn't tell if it was Boozer or Sacre on the court.

Each quarter break left you wondering how the Lakers kept it as close as it was. But their "competitive effort" was consistent enough to keep us in the game. Combined with the sloppiness of the Rockets this was a rather ugly win. But we'll take it! The overall effort, communication on defense, and 4th qtr heroics was good to see on a road back to back.
Phillycheese
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject:

hopandskip wrote:

Rockets lived and died by the 3. Harden does not look right. They have no good big men with D12 and Jones out. They seemed to run out of gas while the Lakes got energized in the last 6 minutes of the game.
The reason why Harden was off his game - some inconsistent reffing and no calls on his flops, but most importantly the Lakers always had a big shadowing him and clogging the middle while his man (usually Wes) forced him to go right. In the 4th, Hill left his man and shadowed Harden so they had two guys on him and he had to give up the rock.

Actually the Rox did something similar against Lin, Every P&R the pick setter's man would cover Lin while his man followed behind. They should have done more Lin/Kobe P&R but I think both were tired out. The Rox coaching staff I am sure wanted the ball out of Lin's hands. Lin did not force the issue and just passed it out each time making the smart play and just concentrated on the D.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: