Stanley Johnson vs. Caris Levert
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject:

I'm officially sold on Stanley johnson and I have him as the second best prospect in this draft behind okafor. he has everything you want from an NBA prospect. High IQ, great character, stong family support, and a burning desire to get better. Sure, he has holes in his game, but what prospect doesn't? He also has the work ethic and discipline to fix those holes.

He can literally do everything on the floor and his biggest issue is turnovers and ball handling. That's easy enough to fix by plugging him in as a 3&D role player for a few years while he works on his handle. Similar to the way San antonio developed Leonard.

He also seems like a good locker room guy and a great piece to start a rebuild around. I really hope he is around when the lakers pick.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:15 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
It's a bummer he's such a long way off.

The critical part is the next two years of development. Seventh Woods is already scary.

Any ideas why Seventh dropped from top 10 to 30th?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
It's a bummer he's such a long way off.

The critical part is the next two years of development. Seventh Woods is already scary.

Any ideas why Seventh dropped from top 10 to 30th?

http://usatodayhss.com/2014/seventh-woods-hammond-chick-fil-a

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:03 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Similar to the way San antonio developed Leonard

Several things about this.

1. San Antonio didn't need a shot creator. They already have 3.
2. They have excellent development coaching.
3. Leonard has a 7'3" wingspan with hands bigger than most centers. Easier to fix ball-handling when you've got the tools.

People also forget that Leonard was a 6'5" PF out of San Diego State. Almost no shot creating, struggled jumpshot, turnover prone. Really lacked perimeter skills.

It took him well over two years to become a straight line driver, and longer to develop the jumpshot.

He's also, still the 4th option on offense, which is arguably why San Antonio may be reluctant to pay him max money.

When was the last time a non-dynamic shot creator was considered a franchise player?

As said before, he compensates with pivot work and length.

PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
Similar to the way San antonio developed Leonard

Several things about this.

1. San Antonio didn't need a shot creator. They already have 3.
2. They have excellent development coaching.
3. Leonard has a 7'3" wingspan with hands bigger than most centers. Easier to fix ball-handling when you've got the tools.

People also forget that Leonard was a 6'5" PF out of San Diego State. Almost no shot creating, struggled jumpshot, turnover prone. Really lacked perimeter skills.

It took him well over two years to become a straight line driver, and longer to develop the jumpshot.

He's also, still the 4th option on offense, which is arguably why San Antonio may be reluctant to pay him max money.

When was the last time a non-dynamic shot creator was considered a franchise player?

As said before, he compensates with pivot work and length.

I know khawais game very well... He's kinda been the pride of my hometown ever since Reggie miller let us down. i would be ecstatic if All Stanley ever became was a khawi clone. He brings those Derek fisher intangibles to the table that every championship team needs. I don't hinj you should have to hit a homerun in every draft..Stanley Johnson would be a nice bunt to load the bases. Honestly, after watching kobe play for 18 years I really don't want to see another ball dominant guard in a laker jersey for a longtime. I'd like to see a team of above average players that fit together and run an offense cohesively. No more hero ball!!! No more splitting doubles and jacking up 18 foot contested jumpers falling away from the basket with team mates open on the peremeter lol. When a wing can't handle the ball very well they are less likely to try that crap. Just wait for your pg to set you up out of a set or the bigman to draw a double and kick it out.

Maybe that's why I've kinda soured on levert a little recently. Okafor or Johnson for me. Preferable okafor and randle as a front court duo demanding doubles and passing out.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject:

This is the Lakers. They have to hit the home run.

When they missed in the draft in the 2000's, they missed out on talent that would have added depth and likely extended the careers of Shaq and Bryant.

Probably could have helped for a few more championships.

That's how it was done in the 80's.

If the Lakers get two lottery picks in back to back years, the Lakers need the home run.

You don't want hero ball. You want a guy capable of it, who is unselfish. Damian Lillard. Chris Paul. LeBron James.

Franchise players. The Lakers need some.

Also, want a shot creator that is unselfish? That's another argument in Levert's favor.

PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject:

True....
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers need more two way players or an elite defensive C. That's what separates successful teams from the bad ones. It's why the Bucks improved so much this year. So whether it be Johnson, Winslow, or WCS I'm all for it. Those are the three I think will have the biggest impact on the team. Levert seems to be a player who can bring scoring off the bench, need more then that to be a top 5 prospect.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:41 am    Post subject:

LaVert hasn't looked very impressive as of late either. Ever since that 32 point game he seems to have come back down to earth.

The guy I felt really REALLY was misused around the league with potential to be something special was Marshon Brooks. But sadly... we know what happened there.

I don't think LaVert will have that happen to him, least I don't think so, but he seems to have come back down to earth since that 32 point game.

In terms of a 'talent' standpoint and all around game, he's probably the guy that would learn the most from Kobe. But he is coming back down a bit after those early great performances.

It MAY work out in the Lakers favor if he falls to the 20s. But I don't see him falling that low.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
LaVert hasn't looked very impressive as of late either. Ever since that 32 point game he seems to have come back down to earth.

The guy I felt really REALLY was misused around the league with potential to be something special was Marshon Brooks. But sadly... we know what happened there.

I don't think LaVert will have that happen to him, least I don't think so, but he seems to have come back down to earth since that 32 point game.

In terms of a 'talent' standpoint and all around game, he's probably the guy that would learn the most from Kobe. But he is coming back down a bit after those early great performances.

It MAY work out in the Lakers favor if he falls to the 20s. But I don't see him falling that low.

He's the lone star on a young team that doesn't know the system. He's being thrown multiple defenders. It's sad.

MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
MJST wrote:

He's the lone star on a young team that doesn't know the system. He's being thrown multiple defenders. It's sad.

Maybe it will drop his stock a bit, he in addition is a 2nd year player in college so those performances could drop his stock to be in the Lakers range. We know he won't go top 5. But that 8-20 he could be picked up at any time.

Unless the Lakers make a deal with a team that has a pick there(like they did with Kobe) then our chances of landing him are low unless he falls to our Houston pick.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
MJST wrote:

Maybe it will drop his stock a bit, he in addition is a 2nd year player in college so those performances could drop his stock to be in the Lakers range. We know he won't go top 5. But that 8-20 he could be picked up at any time.

Unless the Lakers make a deal with a team that has a pick there(like they did with Kobe) then our chances of landing him are low unless he falls to our Houston pick.

Sadly, I think there's a bias of sorts.

Stanley Johnson is a west coast kid. It would make sense if he was a Laker. Okafor? East coast guy, the Lakers would draft him regardless of what team he would prefer Randle grew up a Laker fan.

I think that matters, a lot.

No way Levert slips to 18. It would be nice to combine the 1st with the 2nd and climb up in the first round though, even if it's just a couple of slots.

Partner a player with the pick? I would be exstatic. I want the Lakers to get Okafor, but if there's a way to get Levert too? I'd lose my mind.

You would have a foundation of Okafor, Randle, SF, Levert, Clarkson?

The SF just has to be a 3 and D guy, like a Batum type.

But, if you're going to ask me what a statistical upside for Levert is? 22ppg 7apg 5rpg 2stlpg 46% 38%

Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Mike, what makes you so confident Clarkson can eventually be a starter for the Lakers?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Mike, what makes you so confident Clarkson can eventually be a starter for the Lakers?

He's a triple threat player with average court awareness. Great length. Good lateral quickness. Just needs strength.

All of the tools are there. He needs to play next to a playmaking SG or flat out PG to be comfortable on the floor on offense.

Most importantly, he's aggressive. While his IQ is getting better, he's a touch behind the curve at the PG slot. Judging from the NBDL, it's clear that he's unselfish and working through being a PG. Much better than Sasha ever did when he tried.

Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Clarkson needs to work on his handles. He looks uncomfortable dribbling in half court sets. That's the only thing I see from keeping him from becoming a starter. The size, quickness, defense, and jumpshot is there.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
Clarkson needs to work on his handles. He looks uncomfortable dribbling in half court sets. That's the only thing I see from keeping him from becoming a starter. The size, quickness, defense, and jumpshot is there.

To which I would say, he absolutely looks fine dribbling. NBDL and NBA comp are different.

Strength is the issue to help him with ball-protection.

MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject:

LaVert has dropped to 13th at highest and 21st at lowest. Maybe if he keeps under performing he'll fall to the Lakers
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:57 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
LaVert has dropped to 13th at highest and 21st at lowest. Maybe if he keeps under performing he'll fall to the Lakers

Hopefully. If the Lakers don't get #1, it's not like I'll be upset if they land Stanley and Levert.

MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
MJST wrote:

Hopefully. If the Lakers don't get #1, it's not like I'll be upset if they land Stanley and Levert.

Well he just had a solid game vs Illinois.. 19/5/3 .. so that probably gets the attention back to him.

X_X
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
MJST wrote:

(bleep), I'll consider them insanely lucky just if they have their own pick.

Last edited by Fan0Bynum17 on Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:56 am    Post subject:

Chad Ford has Lavert going 19th, would love to nab him w/ houstons pick.
R.J hunter 13th on Chad Ford's mock.

Delon Wright in will be available in the mid 20s. he's my guy if we're 23-25+
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
MJST wrote:

I wouldn't be upset if the Lakers went all in on Brandon Knight, landed Stanley Johnson with their top 5 pick, and Houston made the playoffs at the 8th seed and LeVert fell to the Lakers at 20.

Then all they need to do is hope Anthony Davis doesn't sign an extension and then go all in at him in free agency in 2017.

If your Lakers core 2-3 years from now(right after Kobe has had his final season most likely) is

Brandon Knight
Caris LeVert
Stanley Johnson
Julius Randle
Anthony Davis

with Nick Young, Tarik Black, Ed Davis and Jordan Clarkson coming off the bench.

I'd say you did good What do you think of that lineup?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject:

I'm not a big fan of mock drafts. Mock drafts are FAR different from team player ranking.

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject:

Re Delon wright his is he differrnet than say Darius Morris. (I haven't seen delon play much just one game).
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Re Delon wright his is he differrnet than say Darius Morris. (I haven't seen delon play much just one game).

Yes he is. He can get to different spots on the floor with ball-handling and make the right passing angles.

Morris struggled with that.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: