WARNING!!! Please stop OVERRATING athletic ability!Stay away from Winslow! I see the next Marvin Williams/Michael Kidd-Gilchrist

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakeShowSince84
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:02 am    Post subject: WARNING!!! Please stop OVERRATING athletic ability!Stay away from Winslow! I see the next Marvin Williams/Michael Kidd-Gilchrist

Marvin Williams and MKG were looked upon as the same and both #2 picks if not mistaken...As these athletic freshman that had worlds of potential! Now they are average NBA players at best! If we're gonna have a top 5 pick PLEASE OH PLEASE don't draft a player based on athleticism and potential (same with WCS)

We don't need track stars or triathlon stars..We need SKILLED basketball players! If you want slam dunk contestants then fine! Hezonja/Porzingis are skilled players! Athletic ability fade over the years...Your skill set (Dirk, Kobe, Bird, Reggie Miller, Duncan) remains! Let's do away with superior athletic ability. I mean, it's good to have on your team, but not to the point in which you need to bet the house on it to be a franchise changer.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:11 am    Post subject:

While Winslow isn't the player I want the Lakers to land in the draft(should they end up with a top 5 pick), I do have to say he is much more skilled than Marvin Williams and even MKG. Secondly, Winslow does seem to have a much higher basketball iq than either of those two. There is a reason he has a knack for being in the right place at the right time, and more often than not, making a timely play for his team.
lkjhf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: WARNING!!! Please stop OVERRATING athletic ability!Stay away from Winslow! I see the next Marvin Williams/Michael Kidd-Gilchrist

it's funny cause hezonja/porzingis' main selling point is their athleticism at their size

low quality post m8, 2/10 at best. giving you a chance to edit it and come back with some insight
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:47 am    Post subject:

The thing that is appealing to me isn't athleticism.

It's:

1. tenacity and relentless motor
2. hits big shots
3. versatility to guard multiple positions
4. yes, he's athletic

Marvin had no motor in his game. Was so laid back in his games. MKG can't shoot. So he is an offensive liability.

Winslow doesn't have both these problems. Not sure why you are so concerned.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject:

Winslow is way more skilled than Williams or MKG ever were.

And Hezonja and Porzingis are both pretty raw.

Your post seems misinformed to me, no offense
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject:

1) Stop yelling at me.

2) You want us to draft skilled players rather than athletes, yet you're touting Hezonja & Porzingis? I know they're white and all, but Hezonja & Porzingis are the raw but generally unskilled athletes with upside here.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:28 pm    Post subject:

... MKG has actually turned himself into quite the player... and he is only 21. I wouldn't call that guy a bust. He's already proven to be more valuable than Marvin Williams has ever been.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:01 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
1) Stop yelling at me.

2) You want us to draft skilled players rather than athletes, yet you're touting Hezonja & Porzingis? I know they're white and all, but Hezonja & Porzingis are the raw but generally unskilled athletes with upside here.

I CAN'T! HEAR YOU!!! WARNING!!!
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:34 am    Post subject:

I wouldn't mind MKG on this team. We don't have much to offer unfortunately. Was hoping to trade Pau when we still had him
TheElectronica
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: WARNING!!! Please stop OVERRATING athletic ability!Stay away from Winslow! I see the next Marvin Williams/Michael Kidd-Gilchrist

LakeShowSince84 wrote:
Marvin Williams and MKG were looked upon as the same and both #2 picks if not mistaken...As these athletic freshman that had worlds of potential! Now they are average NBA players at best! If we're gonna have a top 5 pick PLEASE OH PLEASE don't draft a player based on athleticism and potential (same with WCS)

We don't need track stars or triathlon stars..We need SKILLED basketball players! If you want slam dunk contestants then fine! Hezonja/Porzingis are skilled players! Athletic ability fade over the years...Your skill set (Dirk, Kobe, Bird, Reggie Miller, Duncan) remains! Let's do away with superior athletic ability. I mean, it's good to have on your team, but not to the point in which you need to bet the house on it to be a franchise changer.

Name Dirk, Kobe, Bird Miller, and Duncan as examples of guys with superior skill sets but you don't mention that Dirk was absurdly fluid and athletic for a 7 footer. Not in the Deandre Jordan sense, but he was mobile as hell.

Then there is all the other studs in the NBA now like Russell Westbrook, John Wall, Lebron James, Blake Griffin, and Anthony Davis who are elite athletes.

Let's not underrate one aspect of basketball just to tout another. There has been plenty of guys who have busted despite having skill sets but not the athletic ability as well. There's busts on both ends of the spectrum. What sets Winslow apart is not that he's just an athlete, but he has basketball IQ and defensive ability. That's his basement. Ceiling is how much better he can get offensively, where there is not only plenty of room for growth but base skills that are valuable such as passing, straight line slashing ability, and finishing ability.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject:

Because we did so awesome with Mark Madsen, Sasha Vujacic, Brian Cook, and Luke Walton, right?

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject:

DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!!!!

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
misterrunon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject:

So, like, being athletic is a bad thing now? And, as said here, that's not just the thing that's great about Winslow.. he just has the "it." He knows when to turn his game up a notch, and he's a relentless player who is decently skilled with his footwork and can shoot.

It wouldn't be a huge surprise if he ends up being the best player out of the draft.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject:

There's examples of busts for every type of player, this is a BS argument.
KobeShaqalliance
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject:

Spurs are doing pretty well with an athletic guy named Kawhi Leonard. Justice Winslow's motor and tenacity is what I love most about him.
Irie
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject:

Winslow is built like a tank compared to those two. At first he will make a living with his tenacity on D. Everything will come later. That and he won't be relied on to save our franchise. I don't see us relying on 2 sophmores and a freshman with our starting line up. We have room to make moves in FA to not put all the pressure on our young guns. 25-30 minutes each. Let them develop and in the mean time get a guy like Middleton to start and have Winslow fill in at SG and SF to get minutes.

That would be how I'd go about things. Not sure about this "Jim" guy though.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Winslow is one of the safest picks in the draft. Barring injury no chance of being a bust. I think WCS, Hezonja, and Porzingis have major bust potential.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: