Lakers in the News 7/19/15: The Future of the Los Angeles Lakers is More Complex Than it Seems
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
laker4life wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:
Jim vs. Jeanie: The sibling rivalry that's undermining the Los Angeles Lakers
by Roland Lazenby - vice.com

Ok, quick quiz: name the starting center of the Los Angeles Lakers. Next, name the person running the team.

Got it? Good. Think about those names.

To quote some very nice country ladies, "There's your trouble."

The Lakers are a very proud organization. I know this because I've written lots—at this point, I don't even know how many—of books about the franchise. (Oh, come on now. Shameless self-promotion, to be sure, but a couple of them are actually pretty good.)

Anyway, it doesn't take a genius to see where this sentiment comes from. Since their formation right after World War II, the Lakers have won 18 pro basketball championships—17 in the National Basketball Association, and one in the old National League.

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/jim-vs-jeanie-the-sibling-rivalry-thats-undermining-the-los-angeles-lakers

Good article.

Jim is simply out of his league and has clearly made decisions which has led to the current status of this team.

Especially his comment that it is his dad's fault for hiring MDA is a JOKE.

Jeannie is not much better too.

If this line is correct "Not surprisingly, much of the sibling struggle has come over Jim's attempts at replacing Jackson.", then Jeannie needs to go now if not yesterday. Basing the future and fortunes of this franchise on her romantic affairs is unforgivable. I just hope it isn't true. And I always thought that Jeannie was the driving force in hiring Byron, sounds like I was correct.

As for Jim, he is doing what he needs to do, listening to Mitch. I am not sure how the idea that Jim is behind the scenes pulling strings gets so much traction. Actually I do, soap operas sell.

This is not Jeanie or Jim; its both of them. None had the knowledge to
Run the Lakers.

The Buss kids would help themselves by hiring some real talent to run the Lakers. The mess they project toward players and the league is awful.

The check will be in the mail anyway.

They do have that Mitch Kupchak fellow running the talent side. He just needs to keep Jeannie and Jim away from FA pitches next of season.
67ShelbyGT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Lakers 71-72 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Mitch has more power now than he did when Dr Buss was alive.

And you know this how??

Let's just say that I am not the only one here who knows this. With Dr Buss it was Mitch and Jim making plans and deals. With Jim playing the part of owner now, Mitch is making decisions, much as West did with Dr Buss. Pretty good decisions at that.

Ahh we are back to this again. Inside Sauces!! Man you got more sauces than a Louisiana cook off. Is this the same sauce that told you Ron Artest will never play for the Lakers? I remember vividly how you -- in your typical condescending tone -- scolded many of us when we said Artest would be a great fit.

Will say this tho, you are relentless in defending Jimmy's honor. Disconnected from reality. I'll play along. I got few of prominent sports agents in my rolodex... and lets just say what they (and other GMs) think of Jimmy is not very flattering! (Now did I make that up or is it real?)
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject:

Just out of curiosity, which fired scout needs to be rehired? Personally, I tend to think the scouting is much improved.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
deal wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
laker4life wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:

Ok, quick quiz: name the starting center of the Los Angeles Lakers. Next, name the person running the team.

The Lakers are a very proud organization. I know this because I've written lots—at this point, I don't even know how many—of books about the franchise. (Oh, come on now. Shameless self-promotion, to be sure, but a couple of them are actually pretty good.)

Anyway, it doesn't take a genius to see where this sentiment comes from. Since their formation right after World War II, the Lakers have won 18 pro basketball championships—17 in the National Basketball Association, and one in the old National League.

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/jim-vs-jeanie-the-sibling-rivalry-thats-undermining-the-los-angeles-lakers

Good article.

Jim is simply out of his league and has clearly made decisions which has led to the current status of this team.

Especially his comment that it is his dad's fault for hiring MDA is a JOKE.

Jeannie is not much better too.

If this line is correct "Not surprisingly, much of the sibling struggle has come over Jim's attempts at replacing Jackson.", then Jeannie needs to go now if not yesterday. Basing the future and fortunes of this franchise on her romantic affairs is unforgivable. I just hope it isn't true. And I always thought that Jeannie was the driving force in hiring Byron, sounds like I was correct.

As for Jim, he is doing what he needs to do, listening to Mitch. I am not sure how the idea that Jim is behind the scenes pulling strings gets so much traction. Actually I do, soap operas sell.

This is not Jeanie or Jim; its both of them. None had the knowledge to
Run the Lakers.

The Buss kids would help themselves by hiring some real talent to run the Lakers. The mess they project toward players and the league is awful.

The check will be in the mail anyway.

They do have that Mitch Kupchak fellow running the talent side. He just needs to keep Jeannie and Jim away from FA pitches next of season.

Agreed. But Mitch has to have a team of knowledgeable people who to work with; not the power playing and-or incompetent siblings...
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject:

Lakers' "Franchise Four'' -- Why Kobe Bryant, Shaquille O'Neal Make the Team Over Two NBA Icons
by Mitch Lawrence - forbes.com

Major League Baseball came up with its “Franchise Four,’’ the best quartet of players from every team. It was such a great idea, we’re stealing it.

We’ve come up with the greatest four players ever for 12 of the most prominent NBA franchises, along with the top stars who didn’t make the cut:

6. L.A. Lakers

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar – The No. 1 scorer in history boasted the game’s greatest weapon, the Skyhook.

Magic Johnson – As soon as the effervescent 6-9 point guard arrived in Hollywood, he changed the NBA landscape, leading the Lakers to nine Finals appearances in 12 seasons and five titles.

Kobe Bryant – For old-timers, Jerry West probably makes this list, but even “The Logo’’ admits that Bryant is one of the top Lakers ever.

Shaquille O’Neal – Wilt Chamberlain won his one title in L.A. in his next-to-last season, but Shaq won three titles and was a three-time Finals MVP as a Laker.

Who Didn’t Make it – Four Top 50 Players: Wilt Chamberlain, Jerry West, Elgin Baylor and James Worthy.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mitchlawrence/2015/07/19/lakers-franchise-four-why-kobe-bryant-shaquille-oneal-make-the-team-over-two-nba-icons/
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject:

The Future of the Los Angeles Lakers is More Complex Than it Seems
by Dan Roth - h4-entertainment.com

The major free agent signings have come and gone, and the Los Angeles Lakers failed in numerous pursuits but landed Roy Hibbert via trade for a consolation prize.

It’s clear that today’s generation of NBA players are choosing winning in the here-and-now over playing in big-market cities, and the chances of the Lakers winning an NBA title anytime soon are pretty slim.

But it’s not all doom-and-gloom for Lakers fans. Jordan Clarkson, D’Angelo Russell and Julius Randle provide a strong core of young talent that ought to attract free agents a few years down the road.

http://www.h4-entertainment.com/2015/07/the-future-of-the-los-angeles-lakers-is-more-complex-than-it-seems/
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject:

I only really started questioning the FO when they traded for Steve Nash. Luckily that trade has not come back to bite us too bad.

Next it was the MDA hiring, I thought it was a joke when I first heard about it. You just went and traded for Dwight Howard, of course you bring Phil back. Thought it was a no brainer, guess not?
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:

Very difficult to disagree with anything in that article.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: