Lakers in the News 10/19/15 - 10/25/15: Kobe's back at Lakers practice, fired up
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:17 pm    Post subject:

Jordan Clarkson injures shoulder as Warriors thump Lakers, 136-97
by Bill Oram - ocregister.com

The Lakers' preseason ended with a thud, but of greater concern than the 136-97 loss to the Golden State Warriors on Thursday was an injury suffered by one of their brightest young stars.

Guard Jordan Clarkson left the game in the first half with a sprained right shoulder. He will undergo further tests Friday that will likely determine whether he will be able to play in the season opener Wednesday against the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Prior to the blowout loss at Honda Center, Coach Byron Scott said his only hope was that the team got through the night healthy.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/lakers-688819-ocregister-warriorsanaheim.html
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject:

Jordan Clarkson injures shoulder, will have MRI exam Friday
by Broderick Turner - latimes.com

Lakers guard Jordan Clarkson suffered a sprained right shoulder in the second quarter of Thursday night's exhibition against the Golden State Warriors and didn't return to the game.

Lakers Coach Byron Scott said Clarkson will get an MRI test Friday to determine the severity of the injury and that he was “absolutely” concerned about his second-year guard being available to play Wednesday night in the regular-season opener against the Minnesota Timberwolves at Staples Center.

But Clarkson said that there was “no doubt” that he'd be able to play.

“It was like a real sharp pain,” Clarkson said after the Lakers' 136-97 loss to the Warriors at the Honda Center in both team's final exhibition. “I think it's minor. I guess we'll just see tomorrow. It was just a sharp pain. That's all I can tell you.

“I shot a runner in the lane and felt the pain. I still don't know when it happened.”

Clarkson said he told trainer Gary Vitti about the pain and that Vitti told him it was best to be “precautionary.”

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-jordan-clarkson-injury-20151022-story.html
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:52 pm    Post subject:

Lakers end preseason with a 136-97 loss to Warriors and a Jordan Clarkson injury
by Mark Medina - dailynews.com

Amid his conditioning-heavy practices, various rotations and a laundry list of things to improve, Lakers coach Byron Scott listed only one thing he wanted his team to accomplish in training camp.

“What I really want to see when this game is over is that everybody is healthy,” Scott said beforehand. “That’s all I want to see.”

Scott spoke too soon.

The most devastating development of the Lakers’ 136-97 loss to the Golden State Warriors on Thursday at Honda Center had little to do with the score. It had to do with everything surrounding Lakers second-year guard Jordan Clarkson missing the second half because of a sprained right shoulder after posting 3 points on 1-of-3 shooting and in 6 minutes, 35 seconds of play. Clarkson plans to receive an MRI today, but Scott said he “absolutely” feels concerned he could miss the Lakers’ season opener against Minnesota next Wednesday.

That hardly sounds like good news after the 46th pick landed onto the NBA’s All-Rookie first team last season. Clarkson also averaged 12 points on 46.4 percent shooting in 22.5 minutes per game.

“It’s pretty frustrating,” Scott said. “That kid has done so well for us in the preseason and he has played so hard. Obviously even with this, he still has a very bright future. But obviously it puts a damper on the way we want to start the season. It might be without him.”

Does Clarkson think he will miss the Lakers’ season opener?

“Nah, not at all,” he said. “I think it’s something minor. We’ll know more (on Friday). But I don’t think it’s anything crazy.”

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20151022/la-lakers-end-preseason-with-a-136-97-loss-to-warriors-and-a-jordan-clarkson-injury
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:54 pm    Post subject:

After Game Videos
by lakersnation.com

Jordan Clarkson Has Right Shoulder Sprain in Lakers Vs. GSW

Roy Hibbert Not Satisfied With Lakers Defense

Lakers Rookie D'Angelo Russell After Preseason Finale

Lakers 2015 Preseason Wrap Up

Last edited by lakersfreak on Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:38 am; edited 1 time in total
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject:

Byron Scott wants Tarik Black to develop a mean streak

His enthusiasm bubbles out nearly everywhere. Lakers forward Tarik Black endlessly hustles for every loose ball and rebound. He intently listens to his coaches and teammates on how to improve. Black graciously thanks any reporter who wants to interview him.

All of those qualities convinced the Lakers to retain Black on a non-guaranteed contract this season after picking up the undrafted forward last season off the waiver wire. But Lakers coach Byron Scott believes Black needs to replace that friendly exterior with something darker.

“The biggest thing I told him last year was he’s too nice. He has to get some type of mean streak in him,” Scott said. “Then he can be a monster.”

Scott ranked Kobe Bryant and himself as the meanest members on the Lakers. So how does Black join the club?

“That’s a good question,” Scott said. “Some guys cant change. Some guys are just who they are. I have to find that out.”

And Black wants to find out more what Scott wants.

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20151022/la-lakers-byron-scott-wants-tarik-black-to-develop-a-mean-streak
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:36 pm    Post subject:

Lakers bridge generations at Pechanga practice
by Tom Sheridan - pe.com

Kiowa Thompson is only 4, but he can spell his last name. And he can identify his favorite Laker.

“Kobe Bryant!” Thompson said.

Standing a few feet away from Kiowa at the Pechanga Recreation Center gymnasium was Tracey Masiel, a kindred spirit.

“My favorite player is Kobe, too!” gushed Masiel, 54, of Aguanga.

The two watched as Bryant and the rest of the 16-time NBA Champions appeared for the Lakers’ semi-annual practice on the Pechanga Indian Reservation on Thursday morning.

Over 200 people – young and old, many of them members of the Pechanga Band of Luiseño Indians – showed up to watch the newest edition of the Lakers hold a private shootaround before their final exhibition game Thursday night in Anaheim.

Prior to the Lakers hitting the hardwood, about 50 children took part in an 80-minute skills clinic put on by the Lakers Youth Foundation.

Bryant appeared and took a few shots, but did not practice. He spent most of the time getting treatment on his legs.

“Is that him over there?” said Masiel, pointing toward the figure reclining on the training table on the other side of the gym floor. “Oh, gosh. I’m going to have to work my way over that way.”

This is the fourth time since 2010 the Lakers have practiced at Pechanga. Players and coaches took part in a meet-and-greet the night before with season ticket holders.

http://www.pe.com/articles/masiel-784202-lakers-time.html
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:35 am    Post subject:

Diving into Julius Randle's Ongoing Evolution
by Michael Pina - bleacherreport.com

Very little about Julius Randle corroborates the fact that he’s only 20 years old.

From his wrinkled brow and statuesque build to the way he casually glides coast to coast after tearing defensive rebounds off the glass, the Lakers' prodigious starter plays ahead of his time and possesses terrifying potential.

Through seven preseason games, he’s shown exactly why Los Angeles' front office was smart to select him with the seventh overall pick in last year’s draft.

Heading into the regular season, some areas of Randle’s game are light years ahead of expectations, while others still need a bit of work. He’s averaging 19.7 points, 9.6 rebounds and 4.7 assists per 36 minutes in the preseason, shooting 50 percent from the floor and 60.7 percent in the paint (where he’s clearly most comfortable as a scorer). These are wonderful numbers, but they don't fully encapsulate why Randle is such a favorable prospect.

A little under a year after he fractured his right tibia, Randle overflows with unrestrained force. He’s offensively aggressive, attacking defenders who sag off him like a bull whose sole objective is to impale an over-matched matador.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2581806-diving-into-julius-randles-ongoing-evolution
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject:

Jim Buss On Lakers Failed Chris Paul Trade: ‘It Didn’t Make Any Sense’
by Ryan Ward - lakersnation.com

In December of 2011, the Los Angeles Lakers made a blockbuster trade that sent shockwaves throughout the NBA. The franchise acquired point guard Chris Paul to play alongside Kobe Bryant and Andrew Bynum in a three-way deal that sent Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom elsewhere.

The Paul trade was expected to keep the Lakers in title contention for years to come with arguably the best floor general in the league in the same backcourt as Bryant. Unfortunately, the league didn’t approve of the deal for “basketball reasons” and vetoed the trade resulting in chaos in Los Angeles.

Four years later, the Lakers have missed the playoffs in consecutive seasons with Bryant going down with season-ending injuries three years in a row. The team is still trying to pick up the pieces after missing out on Paul with Lakers executive vice president Jim Buss still scratching his head about why the deal was vetoed in the first place, via Sam Amick of USA Today.

http://www.lakersnation.com/jim-buss-on-lakers-failed-chris-paul-trade-it-didnt-make-any-sense/2015/10/22/
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject:

Everything You Need to Know About the Los Angeles Lakers' 2015-16 NBA Season
by David Murphy - bleacherreport.com

Coming off their worst record ever, the Los Angeles Lakers enter the 2015-16 NBA campaign hoping to find their way back into the highly competitive Western Conference playoffs. The storied franchise has now missed the postseason two years in a row—a third wipeout would be historically bad and completely unacceptable.

L.A. trudged to a 21-61 finish last spring, following on the heels of their 27-55 debacle in 2013-14.

There have been some silver linings in this epic free-fall with two straight trips to the NBA draft lottery. The Lakers now find themselves with an intriguing and evolving roster—one that tilts toward youth while still including a handful of name-brand veterans.

Chief among the wily ones is Kobe Bryant—one of basketball’s enduring legends whose decline in recent years has been precipitous. After three major injuries in as many seasons, the biggest question is whether the five-time Finals winner can remain healthy and prove skeptics wrong for his 20th—and perhaps final—go-around.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2581394-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-los-angeles-lakers-2015-16-nba-season
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject:

Lakers: 2015 Season Preview
by Mehdi Bouneb - lasportshub.com

The Lakers have made key additions and there is plenty to look forward to.

Let’s first start with the roster.

At first glimpse, it is surprising that the Lakers decided to cut Robert Upshaw. In his lone year at Washington, Upshaw averaged 10.9 points, 8.2 rebounds, and 4.5 blocks per game.

Upshaw struggled with his offense and looked lost at times on defense when he played in preseason games.

However, not all could be lost for the young center, according to Mike Bresnahan of the LA Times:

Quote:
Lakers hope Upshaw clears waivers + signs with their D-League team. He was cut because of "big-time learning curve on both ends," Byron said

The Lakers believe in Upshaw since they want him to sign with their D-League affiliate, the LA D-Fenders. Jordan Clarkson benefited greatly from playing in the D-League, perhaps Upshaw could develop quicker than the Lakers thought he would.

Cutting Michael Frazier II came as no surprise as the young guard out of Florida would have had to battle for a roster spot against the likes of D’Angelo Russell, Jordan Clarkson, Kobe Bryant, and Lou Williams.

The roster now stands at 17, with two cuts remaining.

http://lasportshub.com/2015/10/21/la-lakers-2015-season-preview/
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject:

Team Waives Undrafted Rookie Jonathan Holmes
by Ryan Ward - lakersnation.com

The Los Angeles Lakers need to get down to a maximum of 15 players on their active roster before the start of the 2015-16 NBA regular season. Although the roster cuts this time around have been tougher than in years past, there were a few players that seemed destined to receive their walking papers.

According to Bill Oram of the OC Register, undrafted rookie Jonathan Holmes has been waived by the Lakers.

Quote:
Lakers have waived Jonathan Holmes. As previously reported, final roster spot comes down to Metta vs. Jabari Brown.

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-team-waives-undrafted-rookie-jonathan-holmes/2015/10/23/
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject:

Bryant, Clarkson both questionable for Lakers’ opener

The Lakers have experienced an unfortunate development in recent seasons. Most visits to the training room or any medical tests then prompts a devastating injury report regarding one of their marquee players.

But the Lakers avoided reliving that scenario at least for one day. They received a dose of good news on Friday when an MRI showed that second-year guard Jordan Clarkson is nursing a sore right shoulder that the team classified as “normal.”

The Lakers have still listed Clarkson as questionable for their season opener against Minnesota on Wednesday at Staples Center. But the Lakers have four days of practice before more clarity emerges on his recovery. The Lakers said Clarkson will be “treated conservatively,” which will entail keeping him out of Saturday’s practice and then assessing his availability each day afterward.

Clarkson reported feeling what he called “a real sharp pain” in his right shoulder before leaving midway through the second quarter of the Lakers’ 136-97 loss to the Golden State Warriors on Thursday night in Anaheim. But Clarkson expressed optimism that his injury is “something minor.”

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20151023/bryant-clarkson-both-questionable-for-lakers-opener
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:08 am    Post subject:

Lakers trainer searches for an injury solution
by Baxter Holmes - espn.go.com

Gary Vitti was so interested in research and technology that he devoted his professional life to it -- first at the University of Utah, then the University of Portland.

"All I ever wanted to be was a college professor," he says.

Then the Los Angeles Lakers called.

"When the Lakers call, you answer the phone," Vitti says.

A 30-year-old Vitti hopped on a flight and sat down with Lakers coach Pat Riley in 1984. The two discussed nutrition, strength training and more, with Vitti offering a slew of recommendations.

"I think Pat was sort of mesmerized by this stuff," Vitti says. "We're talking about some very basic things that weren't even being done in those days, so Pat sort of jumped on it. But I said, this is what I see and where it's going. That's why all I want to do is be a college professor. I want to finish my PhD, get some graduate students and do this research and find out what works, what doesn't."

Riley had a better idea.

"Well, you can do all that, and you can do it with the greatest athletes in the world," Vitti remembers the "Showtime" coach saying.

After three decades, that's still Vitti's role. He's the NBA's longest-tenured trainer, having managed the health of players from Magic Johnson to Kobe Bryant for 31 seasons, all the while still trying to find out what works and what doesn't.

But in his final season, Vitti is focused not only on fixing injuries but preventing them altogether.

"Now, I'd like to try to find a solution," he says.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13947039/losangeles-lakers-trainer-searches-injury-solution
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:13 am    Post subject:

Byron Scott appreciates Brandon Bass’ growth in NBA

The sporadic playing time led Brandon Bass down a path where he became unsure if Byron Scott would ever trust him.

Through his first two NBA seasons in New Orleans, where he averaged only 8.45 minutes through 50 total games, Bass apparently pleaded with Scott to extend his leash.

“‘I just need a couple of minutes a game, Coach,’” Scott recalled Bass saying. “I said, ‘When I do put you in, you look like you don’t belong.’ He said, ‘That’s because I’m nervous.’ Well I said, ‘When you get to the point where you’re not nervous, then you’re ready.’”

Nearly 10 years later, Bass maintained, “I don’t remember that.”

“I remember him telling me in one conversation he would have to send me to the D-League for one game,” Bass said. “It was like a breakup with your high school sweetheart. Those situations mold and shape who you are.”

Since then, Bass has shaped himself into a dependable NBA veteran through stops in Dallas (2007-09), Orlando (2009-2011) and Boston (2011-2015), where he’s collected endless rebounds, loose balls and defensive stops. He signed with the Lakers this offseason to a two-year, $6.1 million deal to offer them the same thing.

With Bass averaging 5.3 points and three rebounds through six preseason appearances, Scott talked about his backup power forward drastically different than when he coached him in New Orleans.

“You know what you’ll get when you put him in the game,” Scott said of Bass. “He’s not backing down to people. He’s one of those tough kids that will bring it every single night.”

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20151023/lakers-byron-scott-appreciates-brandon-bass-growth-in-nba
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:11 am    Post subject:

51 Questions - Is this Kobe Bryant’s final season?
by Kurt Helin - nbcsports.com

Kobe Bryant does not want a Derek Jeter-style farewell tour.

Even if Kobe were sure this coming season — his 20th in the NBA, all with the Los Angeles Lakers — was to be his last, he’d be coy about it just so it didn’t become a thing (although, he can only slow that so much). He doesn’t want opposing teams presenting him with a rocking chair before games.

Still, the question still hangs over the Lakers: Will this be Bryant’s final NBA season?

Nobody knows.

That includes Bryant himself.

If there is one thing Kobe fans — really all hoops fans — should root for it that on April 13, Bryant will be healthy enough to run out of the Staples Center tunnel with his teammates and take part in warmups before the Lakers take on the Jazz in their final game of the season. For the past few years, the end of Kobe’s season has been determined by injury — which each time left Kobe determined to overcome that, outrun Father Time a little longer, and leave the game on his own terms. Another serious injury would pretty much answer the question about his return.

If he gets through the season healthy, then he gets to make his own decision.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2015/10/23/51-questions-is-this-kobe-bryants-final-season/
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject:

Jim Buss sticks head up, gets pie to face
by Mark Heisler - dailynews.com

They were in the right place but it must have been the wrong time. ...

If more heads may have to roll before the Lakers return to greatness, none is as eagerly awaited as the one under Jim Buss’s baseball cap.

Jim doesn’t deserve the flak he gets from Laker fans but neither did Mike D’Antoni, who was run out on a rail from the day he was hired instead of Phil Jackson.

No, Jim didn’t do that. Jerry Buss did, despite the “stab in the back” charge that Jeanie levelled at her brother.

I’ve been talking to Laker people who were involved since that went down the night of Sunday, Oct. 11, 2012. As one said unequivocally: “Dr. Buss was the decision maker.”

Jim is hardly the only son or daughter running Dad’s team (see: Jim Dolan, Knicks; Michael Reinsdorf, Bulls; Josh Kroenke, Nuggets; Gail Miller, Jazz). Of course, some, like Kroenke, who played at Missouri, had actual credentials and/or worked their way up in the office, putting in eight hours a day in the office, which Jim didn’t.

Nevertheless, Jimbo invited scorn by saying dumb things. Worse, he was the Buss left holding the bag, appearing to take over—although he hadn’t--when the Lakers started into their nosedive.

In the bad news for Laker fans, dumping Jim won’t matter.

With Jeanie asserting her role as No. 1 Buss and GM Mitch Kupchak free to run the team as he always has, Jim doesn’t hurt, aside from p.r. blunders.

Moving Jim out—as Jeanie has promised to do if they’re not in the West Finals in two seasons—won’t help.

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20151023/heisler-jim-buss-sticks-head-up-gets-pie-to-face
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject:

Clarkson Practices in Full
by Joey Ramirez - nba.com

Just two days after injuring his shoulder in the Lakers’ preseason finale, Jordan Clarkson is already back to practicing fully.

Though Saturday’s session went at a mostly 50 percent pace, according to head coach Byron Scott, Clarkson’s participation was a welcome sign that points to him potentially playing in Wednesday’s season opener.

“It was like a little sharp pain, but I didn’t think it was serious after the game either,” said Clarkson, who is listed with a sore right shoulder. “It was one of those things you’ve got to rest.”

Clarkson described his ailment as a straining of his rotator cuff.

Scott expects to have a clearer picture of Clarkson’s status during Sunday’s practice, in which he plans to ramp up the intensity.

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/151024_clarksonpractice
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject:

Lakers' preseason full of highs and lows but focus remains on growth
by Harrison Faigen - silverscreenandroll.com

The Los Angeles Lakers capped off their preseason by being on the wrong side of a drubbing, a dispiriting 136-97 loss to the defending champion Golden State Warriors in which Jordan Clarkson was lost in the second quarter to a shoulder injury the team is calling a sprain. Thursday night may have been a cold shower after the Lakers teased fans with their potential in previous games, but the team is prepared for the developmental process.

"It still was a good preseason," Lakers head coach Byron Scott said after the game. "We fell flat on our face tonight, but overall I think we still made some significant growth as a team. We've still got a long way to go on both ends of the floor, and I think our guys know that now."

The entire team still has a long way to go, but while Jordan Clarkson and Julius Randle both alternated dominance with mediocrity, it was D'Angelo Russell, the third member of the Lakers' young core trio, who struggled the most.

"Up and down, just like you would expect from a 19-year old," Scott said when asked to evaluate Russell's performance over the eight games. "He still has to understand how to play this game on this level. He has to understand it's a totally different change of pace. These guys are bigger, stronger, and more physical, more aggressive, and they are quicker, and he's going to have to figure all that out."

Russell may not yet understand those things in Scott's estimation, but he does understand what it will take to improve.

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2015/10/23/9602208/la-lakers-preseason-review?_ga=1.86891231.637213763.1442907895
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:56 am    Post subject:

Was L.A. Right In Releasing Robert Upshaw?
by Corey Hansford - lakersnation.com

Even going as far back as the pre-draft process, Los Angeles Lakers fans have long had their eye on massive center Robert Upshaw. Despite his well known off-court issues, many fans were intrigued with his size and defensive potential with some even wanting the Lakers to take him with their late first round pick.

The team passed on Upshaw in the draft, but when Upshaw went undrafted, the Lakers quickly signed him to their summer league roster, sparking a lot of excitement amongst the fan base. Upshaw was admittedly out of shape and made very little impact during the summer, but the Lakers still brought him into training camp.

It was assumed that Upshaw would battle fourth-year center Robert Sacre for a backup center position in what would likely be the final spot on the roster. In fact, many believed that Upshaw’s potential would win out over the known commodity in Sacre. As such it came as a bit of a surprise when Upshaw was one of the first cuts of training camp, along with guard Michael Frazier II.

The move led to a number of questions and frustrated fans as many wondered why the Lakers would choose to bypass the tremendous potential of Upshaw in favor of the mediocre-at-best Sacre. We asked our panel of experts whether they believe the Lakers made the right decision in releasing Robert Upshaw. This is what they had to say:

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-nation-roundtable-was-l-a-right-in-releasing-robert-upshaw/2015/10/24/
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject:

James Harden comparisons for D'Angelo Russell could prove patience will prevail
by TheGreatMambino - silverscreenandroll.com

In Los Angeles, the sports panic button is easily accessible. A two-game losing streak, a minor injury to a major star or the most minor off-court tumult -- all of those infractions can make that shiny red button beam bright. When talking D'Angelo Russell -- the Lakers' No. 2 overall pick -- let's blow up that big red button to the size of STAPLES Center.

Russell hasn't made a great impression since his selection in the June draft, struggling in almost every on-court setting. The numbers aren't pretty. During Las Vegas Summer League, Russell dropped a nice looking 11.8 points per game, but did so on just 37.7 percent shooting and a pitiful 11.8 percent from long range -- fairly horrid numbers even without considering how little defense is played in that two week stretch. With the ball as a facilitator, he wasn't much better: D'Angelo threw down 3.2 assists per contest, but against a staggering 5.2 turnovers. In his defense, it was a small five-game sample with a 19-year-old player in his first taste of professional ball with just one season of college hoops under his belt. The learning curve, no matter what the competition, would have been steep.

However, even with a full offseason of workouts and training, Russell's preseason work doesn't look a whole lot better. At just 6.9 points and 3.3 assists per game (but against just a turnover per game!) while shooting 38.6 percent and 29 percent from the arc. Moreover, he's looked overwhelmed in almost every turn. He's spent more than a handful of possessions dumping the ball off at the top of the key, happily handing the rock off in a clearing rather than taking it into traffic. Russell's shown occasional flashes of court vision and creativity, but for the most part, his passes have been run of mill ... if they're even successful. It's been very disheartening to see him struggle so mightily, even in limited minutes and accompanied by more experienced ball-handlers next to him.

It's really no surprise that Lakers fans have hit the panic button. D'Angelo is young, yes, and the preseason and Summer League are inconsequential games, to be sure. However, it's been alarming that Russell has looked overmatched on nearly every single level, even against players who do not have his level of pedigree. It's not that any of us should presume he should be setting the world on fire right out of the gate -- that's rare. After all, there are very few guys like LeBron James who are going to look like stars from the lottery gate. But the level at which Russell has been ineffective is higher than many high picks in recent memory. In fact, the last No. 2 overall pick that looked this unprepared in such limited minutes was Hasheem Thabeet. And we all know how that turned out.

But as I watch Russell more and more, there's another player that he reminds me of: '14-15 MVP runner-up James Harden.

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2015/10/23/9602004/la-lakers-dangel-russell-james-harden-comparison-rookie-season-patience?_ga=1.86891231.637213763.1442907895
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject:

Kobe's back at Lakers practice, fired up
by Mike Bresnahan - latimes.com

Kobe Bryant was back at practice Sunday, impressing teammates and coaches after sitting out almost two weeks because of a bruised lower leg.

He shot well and didn't look too winded, Coach Byron Scott said, putting Bryant firmly in line for Wednesday's season opener against Minnesota.

"He was shooting in peoples' faces, they'd foul him for an 'and-one'… turnaround right, turnaround left, talking trash," forward Metta World Peace said. "Somebody decided to talk to Kobe. That was the wrong thing to do."

Turns out, two players fired up Bryant by trash-talking him: Lou Williams and, no surprise, Nick Young.

Bryant's day also stimulated World Peace's imagination.

"He had one windmill dunk that was pretty cool, and I was like, 'Wow,' " World Peace said, later admitting he was kidding about the dunk but not Bryant's overall steady play at practice.

"You have to double Kobe," World Peace predicted for the upcoming season. "You're not going to just be able to guard him one-on-one. He's hungry. He's excited. He looks great. He's still enjoying the game. That's what's most important."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-20151026-story.html
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject:

Lakers to pay either Metta World Peace or Jabari Brown two days of salary
by Eric Pincus - latimes.com

The Lakers still have 16 players under contract with Monday's deadline looming to trim the roster to 15.

It would appear either veteran forward Metta World Peace or second-year guard Jabari Brown will make the team. The other probably will be waived by 2 p.m. Monday.

Because players need 48 hours to clear waivers, the Lakers will be required to pay either World Peace or Brown for two days of salary. The deadline to cut either without any financial obligation was Saturday afternoon.

Instead, the Lakers will either owe World Peace approximately $18,000 or Brown $10,000.

World Peace might make the team for what he has to offer off the court, whereas Brown is still a young, emerging player the Lakers might choose to try to develop.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-world-peace-or-brown-20151025-story.html
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject:

After spirited performance in scrimmage, Bryant appears ready to go in Lakers' opener
by Janis Carr - ocregister.com

Kobe Bryant whipped passes to the right and to the left. He ran the fast break Sunday, participated in a full scrimmage and even engaged in some trash talking, all of which means one thing.

Bryant is back.

According to eyewitnesses, Bryant, outside a bit of rustiness, appears ready to go for the Lakers’ regular-season opener against Minnesota on Wednesday at Staples Center.

“He looked pretty good,” Lakers coach Byron Scott said. “He ran well. Shot the ball pretty well. He was OK. We’ll see how he feels tomorrow and then we will go from there.”

Bryant has missed the past two weeks, including the final three preseason games, because of bruise on his lower left leg, an injury he suffered in the Lakers’ preseason game in Las Vegas. But the Lakers star apparently showed little effects of an 11-day layoff.

“He was on the fast break,” World Peace said. “I was like, ‘Wow, Kobe’s back.’”

Scott admitted he harbored some concerns about Bryant’s readiness for the season heading into Sunday’s practice.

“I told him if he couldn’t go today or tomorrow, I would start worrying,” Scott said. “So, he walked out today and said he felt good, gave me the thumbs up and went through the scrimmage and everything.”

That included flashes of Bryant’s competitiveness.

World Peace said that during a scrimmage two players, reportedly Nick Young and Lou Williams, on the opposing team “decided to (trash) talk to Kobe. That was the wrong thing to do.”

Bryant’s team, which included World Peace, overcame a deficit to win the scrimmage.

“I’m not going to disclose any names because we’re a very confidential organization,” World Peace said. “But it wasn’t the right move. It was definitely not smart.”

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/world-689127-peace-bryant.html
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject:

Kobe Returns to Practice, Takes Over Scrimmage
by Joey Ramirez - nba.com

After recovering for nearly two weeks since suffering a lower-leg contusion in a preseason game against Sacramento on Oct. 13, Kobe Bryant announced his return to practice in a loud way.

Well, actually, it was loud on the part of an unnamed player on the white team during 5-on-5 scrimmaging, who talked a bit of trash to the 17-time all-star on the purple team at Sunday’s practice.

“That was the wrong thing to do,” Metta World Peace said.

Bryant, who did not speak with the media after practice, responded with a flurry of moves, which — according to World Peace — included turnarounds over both shoulders and a four-point play.

“We, the white team, won the first game … and then somebody said something to Kobe,” Larry Nance, Jr. said. “Four 3’s later, you can see the score now — (purple) team won. … I think we’ve learned from that mistake: Don’t poke the bear.”

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/151025_kobepractice
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: