Lakers in the News 10/12/15 - 10/18/15: Julius Randle's love for basketball keeps him driven toward greatness
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:02 pm    Post subject: Lakers in the News 10/12/15 - 10/18/15: Julius Randle's love for basketball keeps him driven toward greatness

Lakers Dominate Maccabi Haifa For First Preseason Win
by Jabari A. Davis - lakersnation.com

The Los Angeles Lakers (0-3) enter tonight’s contest with Maccabi Haifa seemingly unfazed by their overall record on the preseason, perhaps because the players realize it has actually performed well over the last couple games -albeit in losses- but also because these team appears to have truly embraced the important adage of the season being much more of a ‘marathon’ than a ‘sprint.’

Julius Randle, Jordan Clarkson and Roy Hibbert have provided some of the brighter moments for this team over the last couple games, but the team looks to also welcome back D’Angelo Russell (glute) and Marcelo Huertas (hamstring) with the hopes that a return of both point guards might provide a bit more offensive balance during key stretches.

http://www.lakersnation.com/game-recap-lakers-dominate-maccabi-haifa-for-first-preseason-win/2015/10/11/

Last edited by lakersfreak on Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:50 pm; edited 44 times in total
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:06 pm    Post subject:

Lakers draw comparisons to Grizzlies after rout over non-NBA team
by Mike Bresnahan - latimes.com

Are the Lakers better than the Memphis Grizzlies?

Of course not, particularly after finishing 34 games behind them in the standings last season.

But a lighthearted comparison was created by the Lakers' breezy 126-83 victory over Israel's Maccabi Haifa in an exhibition Sunday at Staples Center.

There aren't many ways to analyze a victory over a non-NBA opponent, though Maccabi lost to the Grizzlies last week, 97-84, putting the transitive property in play.

Kobe Bryant scored an effortless 21 points mainly by making four of six three-point attempts. He looked fresh in only 18 minutes, a good sign for the Lakers with the regular season about two weeks away.

Julius Randle continued to impress with his strength down low, totaling 14 points and nine rebounds. His early third-quarter scoring pretty much told it all — two-foot layup, three-foot layup, two-foot alley-oop layup.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-20151012-story.html
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:08 pm    Post subject:

Roy Hibbert's versatility on display in Lakers' blowout win over Maccabi Haifa
by Bill Oram - ocregister.com

Grab your box score from the Lakers 126-85 win over Maccabi Haifa, and try not to faint as the numbers leap off the page.

Kobe Bryant: 21 points, 6-of-10 on field goals, including 4-of-6 on 3-pointers.

Julius Randle: 14 points, 9 rebounds.

Roy Hibbert: 8 points, 16 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 blocks.

D’Angelo Russell: 5 points, 11 assists.

Still got the score sheet? Great. Crumple it into a ball and toss it across the room, into the trash bin.

“Preseason, it’s just like summer league,” coach Byron Scott said. “I don’t put too much stock into it."

OK, sure. But now you should get walk over to the trashcan, grab the box score and smooth it out.

Despite the time of year and opponent, you can’t complete throw out what the Lakers did Sunday.

Even though they cruised over a Haifa team that had little in the way of NBA-caliber talent (any?) the game was an important tune-up, or at the very least a worthy exhibition.

The Lakers demonstrated what they can do when firing on all cylinders.

http://www.ocregister.com/lakers/versatility-687143-haifa-win.html
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:10 pm    Post subject:

Lakers rookie Anthony Brown keeps it real in his first start, shows promise as a defender
by Bill Oram - ocregister.com

It’s a conundrum any kid who grows up to play for his favorite team is bound to encounter.

On Sunday, Lakers rookie Anthony Brown had something of an identity crisis.

“I don’t know when it’s going to change from (being a) fan to player,” Brown said.

The moment may have arrived 30 seconds into the Lakers 126-83 win over Israel’s Maccabi Haifi when Brown, who starred at Ocean View High in Huntington Beach, stood to the side and watched as Kobe Bryant buried a pair of free throws.

“I was like, ‘Oh, it’s real,’” Brown said.

The rookie from Stanford, a Fountain Valley native, made his first start as a Laker – albeit in an exhibition game – as D’Angelo Russell was eased back into action after missing the previous seven quarters with a bruised glute.

On a night many Lakers had breakout performances, Brown logged one of the least gaudy stat lines of the night: two points on 1-of-2 shooting. No rebounds, steals or assists.

Meanwhile, Bryant scored 21 points on an efficient 6-of-10 shooting, including 4 of 6 on 3s; Roy Hibbert grabbed 16 rebounds and Russell returned from injury to distribute 11 assists.

So why was Byron Scott so pleased with Brown’s performance in 22 minutes?

Defense.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/brown-687142-lakers-first.html
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:11 pm    Post subject:

Video: Julius Randle After Another Impressive Performance
by lakersnation.com
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject:

Video: D’Angelo Russell on Roy Hibbert - Makes The Game ‘Easier On Everybody’
by lakersnation.com
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:13 pm    Post subject:

Video: Roy Hibbert on Kobe Bryant: ‘He’s A GOAT’
by lakersnation.com
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:18 pm    Post subject:

Lakers Cruise Past Maccabi Haifa
by Joey Ramirez - nba.com

After three straight losses to open the preseason, the Lakers earned their first victory in a huge way, steamrolling Maccabi Haifa of the Israeli Premier League, 126-83.

The visitors never stood a chance, as LA snagged a 17-point lead within the game’s first eight minutes. Eventually, the Lakers commanded a 51-point advantage over their overwhelmed guests, who lost by just 13 to the Memphis Grizzlies three days earlier.

Rather than let Haifa stick around, the Lakers took advantage of their foes to the point of inflating their stats to absurd degrees.

Seven Lakers finished in double-digit scoring, including Kobe Bryant, who led the way with 21 points. The 17-time all-star was in vintage form, hitting 6-of-10 from the field, including 4-of-6 on 3-pointers.

“It doesn’t matter defensively or offensively when you have the experience and the knowledge that he has,” head coach Byron Scott said of his 37-year-old star. “You might lose a little bit as far as your athletics and your speed … but he still sees the game at a different speed. So he is able to be in and get to spots that he needs to get to because of his knowledge of the game.”

Meanwhile, LA’s starting frontcourt of Roy Hibbert and Julius Randle took advantage of Maccabi Haifa’s undersized bigs. Randle stretched his hot streak to three games by nearly notching a double-double with 14 points (7-of-12) and nine rebounds.

The 7-foot-2 Hibbert took advantage of his massive frame with 16 rebounds, including seven offensive boards, in 22 minutes. Despite his dominance on the glass and three blocks, Hibbert left his teammates buzzing about his five assists, highlighted by a couple of no-look dimes.

“We have a lot of ball movement here,” Hibbert said. “It’s a little bit different from where I was before (in Indiana). I always say I don’t need to score. I like to see my teammates get set up (for) easy buckets. And I was having a little bit too much fun at one point, but it was good to be out there.”

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/151011_maccabihaifawrap
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:37 pm    Post subject:

I can't wait to see Huertas in action.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:39 am    Post subject:

Byron Scott optimistic Kobe Bryant will play every preseason game
by Mark Medina - dailynews.com

As he sheds off rust without showing any setbacks with his surgically repaired right shoulder, Kobe Bryant left the Lakers feeling encouraged for two reasons.

In the Lakers’ 126-83 victory over Maccabi Haifi on Sunday at Staples Center, Bryant took advantage against the Israeli professional team by posting a team-leading 21 points on 6-of-10 shooting, 4-of-6 from 3-point range and 5-of-5 from the foul line in 19 minutes. Lakers coach Byron Scott also reported feeling “very optimistic” that he will play in all of the team’s four remaining preseason contests.

“He wants to play every game,” Scott said.

That seems unlikely to happen, though, for the 82-game regular season. Bryant may sit out for at least a portion of the Lakers’ 18 sets of back-to-backs.

“We haven’t talked about that yet,” Scott said. “I talked to him a week ago and said, ‘We need to sit down and talk about back-to-backs and pick and choose which ones you’ll play in and which ones you’ won’t.”

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20151011/la-lakers-byron-scott-optimistic-kobe-bryant-will-play-every-preseason-game
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:24 am    Post subject:

Kobe On Young Core: ‘They Are Far Ahead Of The Curve’
by Dan Duangdao - lakersnation.com

With a nice blend of veterans and prospects, the challenge for the Los Angeles Lakers in the 2015-16 season is attempting to accelerate the rebuilding process. Through four games in the preseason, D’Angelo Russell, Julius Randle and Jordan Clarkson have shown plenty of promise.

Following their first preseason win against Maccabi Haifa at Staples Center, Kobe Bryant was encouraged by the team’s performance during the preseason via LakersNation.com’s Ryan Ward:

“They are far ahead of the curve. They’re all great creators & attack players but they can also shoot the ball.”

http://www.lakersnation.com/kobe-bryant-on-young-core-they-are-far-ahead-of-the-curve/2015/10/11/
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:30 am    Post subject:

Thanks LF!
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:14 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Thanks LF!

Welcome
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:16 am    Post subject:

Southern California native Anthony Brown has the Lakers excited for his potential after his first start
by Harrison Faigen - silverscreenandroll.com

Almost every kid growing up in Southern California dreams about it. Driving down Figueroa to get to Staples Center and finding a purple and gold jersey with your name on the back, walking out of the darkness into the showtime lights as Lawrence Tanter's booming voice lets the entire crowd know your name, all before Kobe Bryant daps you up at halfcourt. That dream came true on Sunday night when rookie small forward and Southern California native Anthony Brown started for the Los Angeles Lakers in their first game at Staples Center this season.

"When I put on the jersey, I feel like I'm representing not just the team, but everybody that's watching from my hometown and stuff like that, so it means a little more to me. There is an extra sense of pride," said Brown following the game.

The Ocean View High School product's stat line was modest in his debut, just two points on his two shots in 22 minutes of floortime, but according to Lakers head coach Byron Scott, offense is not the end of the floor that the team wants him focused on anyway.

"[Brown] is probably one of our best perimeter defenders. He gets after people, he's not afraid. He's a physical small forward/guard. Runs the floor extremely well, can shoot the ball. I would almost compare him to a Bruce Bowen-type player. I don't want him to do too much off the dribble with the ball, just if you have shots catch-and-shoot it, but if you're not pump fake one dribble or two but understanding that about his game, but it's really about him just defending these perimeter guys and getting out on the break."

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2015/10/12/9504679/la-lakers-anthony-brown-starting-lineup
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject:

Lakers From The Outside: Embracing a new reality
by Baxter Holmes - espn.go.com

As the Los Angeles Lakers take the court at the University of Hawaii at Manoa's Stan Sheriff Center for a preseason game against the Utah Jazz, Anthony Gonzales, 33, is up against the metal gate, wearing a crisp white No. 24 Kobe Bryant jersey. Gonzales lives in Maui, but he became a fan growing up in Garden Grove, in Orange County, thanks to his father.

"My earliest memory," Gonzales says, "was the '88 title game and watching it with my dad."

Ever since, he's been a die-hard. Standing beside him now is his son, Kobe-J Gonzales, 10, in a gold Lakers hat and purple No. 24 jersey, holding a white sign with block text. "KOBE," it reads, "I was named after you."

Despite back-to-back losing seasons for the Lakers, the Gonzales family hasn't lost hope.

"We're going in the right direction with these young players," Gonzales says, referring to recent draft picks D'Angelo Russell, Julius Randle and Jordan Clarkson. "Hopefully we can get a big-name free agent this summer to lead all of them. Just a matter of time."

The next pot of gold has never been far away for Lakers fans. The franchise with the second-most championships in NBA history (16) has reached the playoffs 60 times in 67 seasons and missed the postseason in consecutive years only twice. Its longest title drought since migrating to Los Angeles in 1960? Eleven seasons. And even that "rough" stretch featured 10 playoff berths and two trips to the NBA Finals.

So it's easy to picture Kevin Durant as a Laker next summer, or Russell Westbrook the summer after. Or maybe both. Pick a name. Pick several. None is too big, no dream too unrealistic.

"[Rebuilding] happens a lot faster [here] than in other organizations," Bryant told ESPN.com last season. "The Celtics went through years and years and years [of rebuilding]. That doesn't happen with the Lakers, man."

The Lakers don't rebuild, they reload. Hence the term "Lakers exceptionalism."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13852924/losangeles-lakers-embracing-new-reality
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:
Lakers From The Outside: Embracing a new reality

As the Los Angeles Lakers take the court at the University of Hawaii at Manoa's Stan Sheriff Center for a preseason game against the Utah Jazz, Anthony Gonzales, 33, is up against the metal gate, wearing a crisp white No. 24 Kobe Bryant jersey. Gonzales lives in Maui, but he became a fan growing up in Garden Grove, in Orange County, thanks to his father.

"My earliest memory," Gonzales says, "was the '88 title game and watching it with my dad."

Ever since, he's been a die-hard. Standing beside him now is his son, Kobe-J Gonzales, 10, in a gold Lakers hat and purple No. 24 jersey, holding a white sign with block text. "KOBE," it reads, "I was named after you."

Despite back-to-back losing seasons for the Lakers, the Gonzales family hasn't lost hope.

"We're going in the right direction with these young players," Gonzales says, referring to recent draft picks D'Angelo Russell, Julius Randle and Jordan Clarkson. "Hopefully we can get a big-name free agent this summer to lead all of them. Just a matter of time."

The next pot of gold has never been far away for Lakers fans. The franchise with the second-most championships in NBA history (16) has reached the playoffs 60 times in 67 seasons and missed the postseason in consecutive years only twice. Its longest title drought since migrating to Los Angeles in 1960? Eleven seasons. And even that "rough" stretch featured 10 playoff berths and two trips to the NBA Finals.

So it's easy to picture Kevin Durant as a Laker next summer, or Russell Westbrook the summer after. Or maybe both. Pick a name. Pick several. None is too big, no dream too unrealistic.

"[Rebuilding] happens a lot faster [here] than in other organizations," Bryant told ESPN.com last season. "The Celtics went through years and years and years [of rebuilding]. That doesn't happen with the Lakers, man."

The Lakers don't rebuild, they reload. Hence the term "Lakers exceptionalism."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13852924/losangeles-lakers-embracing-new-reality

Don't know why I clicked on this article.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject:

^Me either, especially after reading the first one already. Both have been trash. There's no meaningful analysis from these cowardice sources who choose to remain nameless. More like sly dissing and bitterness. I'm not giving ESPN more hits after that one.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject:

Lakers bring to new faces to Las Vegas — but Kobe remains
by Steve Carp - reviewjournal.com

Leave it to Kobe Bryant to put things in their proper perspective when it comes to the Los Angeles Lakers.

When asked at the team's media day last month what he can expect from the Lakers in 2015-16, Bryant said: "How the hell do I know? We've got so many new faces. It's impossible to predict."

Exactly.

The Lakers are in Las Vegas on Tuesday for their annual NBA preseason game as they face Sacramento at 7 p.m. at the MGM Grand Garden. All eyes will be on Bryant, who is entering his 20th NBA season and the final year on his current deal with L.A.

But the savvy Lakers fan will be watching the future — Julius Randle, Jordan Clarkson, D'Angelo Russell and Larry Nance Jr., and see how they perform. They are the long-term future of the franchise, which is coming off the worst season ever at 21-61. The quartet played together during the NBA Summer League in July and looked good at times.

Combining them with a healthy Bryant, who appears to have recovered from shoulder surgery, and recently acquired veterans Roy Hibbert, Lou Williams and Marcelo Huertas should give fans a cause for optimism, cautious as it may be.

"I'm excited about the group of guys that we've assembled," coach Byron Scott said. "Obviously, our expectations for some of these young guys is high. It all matters on how quickly we can come together."

Bryant said he too is re-energized with the moves the Lakers have made and the young talent on the roster.

"I liked that these guys were in the gym all summer working," he said. "That tells me they're serious about winning."

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/basketball/lakers-bring-new-faces-las-vegas-kobe-remains
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Roy Hibbert to see doctor, get knee checked out
by cbssports.com

Lakers center Roy Hibbert (knee) will visit with a doctor to address the soreness in his right knee, Baxter Holmes of ESPN reports.

Hibbert dropped 16 pounds over the summer, but that hasn't prevented his knee from bothering him in the early stages of camp. While the issue is still considered minor, a visit with a team doctor isn't the most encouraging of signs. More information should be released Tuesday following the visit.

http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/lakers-roy-hibbert-will-visit-with-doctor/
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Brandon Bass returns to scrimmage on Monday
by cbssports.com

Lakers forward Brandon Bass (knee) was observed scrimmaging at full speed Monday, Mike Trudell of Lakers.com reports.

Bass has been dealign with a knee bruise and is yet to participate in the preseason. It looks as though the veteran is nearing full strength, however, and he should not be limited once the regular season gets underway.

http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/lakers-brandon-bass-back-to-scrimmaging/
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject:

D'Angelo Russell: 'If you're open, I'm going to get it to you'

D'Angelo Russell made his Staples Center debut Sunday, and the Los Angeles Lakers rookie guard sure made an impression.

The second overall pick in the 2015 NBA draft dished out numerous crisp, on-the-money passes, displaying the excellent court vision that has inspired comparisons to Magic Johnson from Lakers coach Byron Scott and prompted Kobe Bryant to call Russell one of the “best playmakers in the game.”

Russell finished with 11 assists in 18 minutes off the bench in the Lakers’ 126-83 rout of Maccabi Haifa, marking the Lakers’ first win of the preseason and Russell’s first game back after missing the team’s previous game with a bruised glute.

While the Lakers were playing non-NBA competition, Russell nonetheless looked sharp and confident -- as did his passes -- and markedly better than in his shaky preseason debut last Sunday against the Utah Jazz in Honolulu: five points on 2-for-8 shooting, three rebounds, three assists and two turnovers.

“When I get the ball, I like to pass,” Russell said after Sunday’s game. “So if a guy knows me, he’s going to be running, running, running just to get an easy bucket or get to the foul line to get himself going.

"If you’re open, I’m going to get it to you. Half the time, you won’t know you’re open.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/losangeles/lakers/post/_/id/41894/dangelo-russell-if-youre-open-im-going-to-get-it-to-you
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:

D'Angelo Russell made his Staples Center debut Sunday, and the Los Angeles Lakers rookie guard sure made an impression.

The second overall pick in the 2015 NBA draft dished out numerous crisp, on-the-money passes, displaying the excellent court vision that has inspired comparisons to Magic Johnson from Lakers coach Byron Scott and prompted Kobe Bryant to call Russell one of the “best playmakers in the game.”

Russell finished with 11 assists in 18 minutes off the bench in the Lakers’ 126-83 rout of Maccabi Haifa, marking the Lakers’ first win of the preseason and Russell’s first game back after missing the team’s previous game with a bruised glute.

While the Lakers were playing non-NBA competition, Russell nonetheless looked sharp and confident -- as did his passes -- and markedly better than in his shaky preseason debut last Sunday against the Utah Jazz in Honolulu: five points on 2-for-8 shooting, three rebounds, three assists and two turnovers.

“When I get the ball, I like to pass,” Russell said after Sunday’s game. “So if a guy knows me, he’s going to be running, running, running just to get an easy bucket or get to the foul line to get himself going.

"If you’re open, I’m going to get it to you. Half the time, you won’t know you’re open.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/losangeles/lakers/post/_/id/41894/dangelo-russell-if-youre-open-im-going-to-get-it-to-you

It's great he is looking to pass, however he needs to be a scoring threat too. PGs need to be respected as scorers. I do not want opposing teams sagging off Russell because he can't shoot/ Would be like Marshall all over again.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject:

LakersMDGurl wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:

It's great he is looking to pass, however he needs to be a scoring threat too. PGs need to be respected as scorers. I do not want opposing teams sagging off Russell because he can't shoot/ Would be like Marshall all over again.

Marshall was known as a non-shooter. Not the case with Russell. If teams leave him alone, he won't hesitate to pull the trigger, and he won't have trouble hitting at a high percentage.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:
Roy Hibbert to see doctor, get knee checked out
by cbssports.com

Lakers center Roy Hibbert (knee) will visit with a doctor to address the soreness in his right knee, Baxter Holmes of ESPN reports.

Hibbert dropped 16 pounds over the summer, but that hasn't prevented his knee from bothering him in the early stages of camp. While the issue is still considered minor, a visit with a team doctor isn't the most encouraging of signs. More information should be released Tuesday following the visit.

http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/lakers-roy-hibbert-will-visit-with-doctor/

Another Byron training camp casualty!
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
LakersMDGurl wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:

Marshall was known as a non-shooter. Not the case with Russell. If teams leave him alone, he won't hesitate to pull the trigger, and he won't have trouble hitting at a high percentage.

Marshall couldn't defend my grandma and Russel is doing pretty well without the ball. Apples and Ducks.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: