Lakers in the News 11/23/15 - 11/29/15: Roy Hibbert must face his feelings when playing Pacers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject:

Byron Scott says struggling Kobe can still play in NBA
by Broderick Turner - latimes.com

It has been a mighty struggle so far this season for Kobe Bryant, resulting in Lakers Coach Byron Scott having to answer numerous questions from reporters about his star after practice Wednesday.

It was Bryant's woeful one-for-14 shooting performance in the Lakers' 111-77 loss to the Golden State Warriors on Tuesday night that led to Scott being quizzed 11 times about Bryant.

"I know his mentality is that he can still play in this league," Scott said. "And we feel the same way."

Bryant is averaging a team-high 15.2 points and playing 30.5 minutes a game, second-most on the team behind Jordan Clarkson (30.8).

But the 37-year-old Bryant is shooting only 31.1% from the field and 19.5% from three-point range.

He's taking a team-high 16.4 shots per game, and obviously even worse for the 20-year veteran, he's taking too many three-pointers, at seven per game.

"Obviously he's struggling right now with his shot, and I think everybody can see that," Scott said. "So it's trying to get him in better position to be able to have an opportunity to knock those shots down on a consistent basis. That's No. 1.

"I don't know if it's his legs. I don't think so. Again, our conversations are pretty blunt. … He tells me when he is tired and he tells me when he's not tired. And the last few days, he said he feels great. So, I don't think it's a matter of him being tired or his legs being tired. I think it's a matter of his timing being a little off."

Scott was asked if he would reduce Bryant's playing time.

"I have not considered that yet," Scott said. "It's too early in the season."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-report-20151126-story.html
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:07 pm    Post subject:

Byron Scott rules out changing Kobe Bryant’s role or minutes
by Mark Medina - insidesocal.com

Kobe Bryant has missed nearly every shot he takes. Bryant has missed nearly every practice and morning shootaround. Bryant has missed three games because of concerns surrounding both a sore back and fatigue.

Yet, Lakers coach Byron Scott maintained that he has not considering adjusting Bryant’s role or his minutes in hopes to jumpstart both the Lakers (2-11) and Bryant’s play.

“The last few days he said he feels great,” Scott said following Wednesday’s practice at the Lakers’ practice facility in El Segundo. “I don’t think it’s a matter of him being tired or his legs being tired. It’s a matter of his timing being a little off.”

Bryant’s’ shot has been more than off. The Lakers’ 37-year-old star has averaged 15.2 points per game while shooting 31.1% from the field and 19.5% from three-point range in 30.5 minute per game. In the Lakers loss to Golden State on Tuesday, Bryant posted only four points on a 1-of-14 clip and 1-of-7 mark from 3-point range. But instead of calling for Bryant to decrease his shooting, Scott has echoed Bryant’s contention that he needs help to ensure better looks.

Instead of taking the majority of his shots from behind the perimeter, Bryant said on Tuesday night he would like to receive more off-ball screens off pin downs as well as better floor spacing for catch-and-shoot opportunities.

“We have to have better spacing and set better screens,” said Scott, who praised center Roy Hibbert, while asking more from forwards Julius Randle and Brandon Bass. “Our space and our execution and our young people have to be patient as well. But our bigs have to do a much better job of setting screes and our guys have to do a better job of setting people up.”

Scott maintained he does not need to fix his Princeton-based offense to ensure those looks. Instead, Scott argued “we just have to do a better job of executing.” But Lakers rookie point guard D’Angelo Russell suggested otherwise.

“That would be great. I control what I can control,” Russell said. “I’m not setting a wide pindown for him. If I could, I would. It’s more within the system. If the system lets us do stuff like that, it’ll definitely happen.”

Perhaps easier said than done.

http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/2015/11/25/lakers-byron-scott-rules-out-changing-kobe-bryants-role-or-minutes/#more-29661
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:54 am    Post subject:

5 Reasons Fans Should Be Thankful on Thanksgiving
by Cody Williams - lakeshowlife.com

Despite the Lakers struggles this season, there are still reasons for fans to be thankful on Thanksgiving.

The Los Angeles Lakers are in the midst of tumultuous times right now. Between Kobe Bryant and Byron Scott and all of the drama that their relationship and their effect on the team has caused, the 2015-16 season is not looking great after a 2-12 start. In fact, the argument could be made that the Lakers are at rock bottom right now—or at least in the general vicinity.

Perhaps one of the reasons why this current iteration of the Lakers is so brutal on fans to take in is the fact that this is an organization that has enjoyed so much success over its history. Moreover, this is a team that has been so consistently good for so long that this semi-prolonged period of hardship feels unfamiliarly terrible.

It’s important for fans in times like this to hang onto hope. It might be hard to find when the Lakers are getting trounced in ORACLE Arena by the Golden State Warriors, but its essential to the survival of fans when their favorite teams are in times of tribulation. Without that hope, then what’s the point of even being a fan anymore?

That’s why it’s important, on Thanksgiving, to be thankful for the good things that remain about the Lakers and being a Lakers fan. Largely, that involves looking at the present situation and finding the positives (no matter how hard that is at times this season), but can also involve looking at the history. On Thanksgiving, these are five things Lakers fans can give thanks for.

http://lakeshowlife.com/2015/11/26/lakers-5-reasons-fans-should-be-thankful-on-thanksgiving/
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject:

TDIKH: November 26, 2004
by nba.com

In one of the final classic battles between the 2000s-era Lakers and Kings, even Kobe Bryant’s scoring binge couldn’t eek out a victory for the purple and gold.

Bryant dropped 40 points — shooting 11-of-17 from the field and 15-of-19 at the foul line — but Sacramento made last-minute push for the 109-106 decision.

Thanks to 26 second-half points from Bryant, the Lakers had a one-point lead with 40 seconds left. But Peja Stojakovic, who went 13-of-13 on free throws — hit four foul shots, while the Lakers missed the remainder of their attempts.

Bryant also collected seven rebounds and eight assists, while Lamar Odom reached a double-double with 11 points and 14 rebounds.

http://www.nba.com/lakers/tdikh/1126
LakerFan87
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject:

LakersMDGurl wrote:
Everytime i see a Bryon article i get so damn upset. Why do these damn reporters keep shoving the mic in his face so we can hear his anti-Russell pissing and moaning

They know that BS is full of his own initials and are trying to expose him as the incompetent asstard that he is.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:32 pm    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:
5 Reasons Fans Should Be Thankful on Thanksgiving
by Cody Williams - lakeshowlife.com

Despite the Lakers struggles this season, there are still reasons for fans to be thankful on Thanksgiving.

The Los Angeles Lakers are in the midst of tumultuous times right now. Between Kobe Bryant and Byron Scott and all of the drama that their relationship and their effect on the team has caused, the 2015-16 season is not looking great after a 2-12 start. In fact, the argument could be made that the Lakers are at rock bottom right now—or at least in the general vicinity.

Perhaps one of the reasons why this current iteration of the Lakers is so brutal on fans to take in is the fact that this is an organization that has enjoyed so much success over its history. Moreover, this is a team that has been so consistently good for so long that this semi-prolonged period of hardship feels unfamiliarly terrible.

It’s important for fans in times like this to hang onto hope. It might be hard to find when the Lakers are getting trounced in ORACLE Arena by the Golden State Warriors, but its essential to the survival of fans when their favorite teams are in times of tribulation. Without that hope, then what’s the point of even being a fan anymore?

That’s why it’s important, on Thanksgiving, to be thankful for the good things that remain about the Lakers and being a Lakers fan. Largely, that involves looking at the present situation and finding the positives (no matter how hard that is at times this season), but can also involve looking at the history. On Thanksgiving, these are five things Lakers fans can give thanks for.

http://lakeshowlife.com/2015/11/26/lakers-5-reasons-fans-should-be-thankful-on-thanksgiving/

THe bolded is just not true. I think we all understood very well last year that it is lost and took it OK despite the great history. This year it is different. We had hopes because we have better talent and no wave of injuries. THus, we should be much better than we are.
The fans are upset because the team is underachieving. And because the team is heading straight nowhere. No direction, obvious coaching mistakes.... All current issues and nothing to do with the great history.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:30 am    Post subject:

Kobe's struggles cause some in NBA circles to say it's time he retires
by Mike Bresnahan - latimes.com

The pump fakes began in earnest when Kobe Bryant got stuck with the ball against Denver this month.

He had nowhere to go in the lane so he relied on an old trick to get himself out of a jam — and possibly a defender in the air.

He pump-faked once. He pump-faked again. He might have done it a third time but briefly lost control of the ball.

Nuggets forward Will Barton didn't budge, staying on his feet while guarding Bryant, forcing an off-balance 10-footer that ricocheted hard off the back of the rim.

The book is out on Bryant's declining skills, and somewhere high on the first page is an over-reliance on pump-faking.

"Somebody asked me how I knew it was time to retire," Charles Barkley, a Hall of Fame player, said in a phone interview. "I said because I was pump-faking. So now I see Kobe and he's pump-faking because he's scared they are going to block his shot. That's what the pump-faking is. People are knocking your shot into the stands.

"Kobe can't get open shots. He can't go around people to get layups. It's hard to make contested shots."

That's Bryant these days. He's 37 years old and 20 years into his NBA career. It's an uneasy mix on a bad Lakers team with a 2-12 record.

He's shooting a jarringly low 31.1%, which puts him 122nd out of 122 players who qualify for NBA stat-keeping with enough attempts this season. Bryant is shooting an equally damaging 19.5% from three-point range, last out of 103 NBA stat qualifiers. He has yet to make half his shots in a game and his trademark fly-through-the-air days are gone. He does not have a dunk this season.

Lakers fans are despondent, wanting to remember the player who scored 81 points against Toronto, 62 through three quarters against Dallas and captured the league MVP award in 2008 and NBA Finals MVP awards in 2009 and 2010.

They don't want to see what Bryant has become — a salary cap-killing shadow of his former self.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-kobe-decline-20151127-story.html
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:32 am    Post subject:

Byron Scott still senses support from Lakers front office
by Mark Medina - dailynews.com

As the Lakers finished practice earlier this week, coach Byron Scott and general manager Mitch Kupchak talked near center court. Scott reported he and Kupchak have “been talking almost every other day” throughout the Lakers’ 2-12 start.

They enter Friday’s game against the Portland Trail Blazers (6-10) at Moda Center with a worse start than even last season, which eventually ended with a franchise-worst 21-61 record.

Yet, Scott said he still senses support from Kupchak and Lakers executive vice president of basketball personnel Jim Buss. Scott is in the second-year of a four-year contract worth $17 million, with a team option for the final season.

“We still understand that this is a process,” Scott said. “We have a lot of young guys on this team that we feel will be very good players. But it’s not going to happen in a month. It’s going to take some time. It might take a year or two.”

Scott revealed he and Kupchak have addressed “what we can do to get these young guys better and make the procedure for them a lot easier.”

Yet, Scott said Kupchak has left Scott freedom to coach as he sees fit.

“I’ve told him what I’m thinking about doing at times, some of the things I want to do with the young guys and some of the things I want to do with some of our veteran guys,” Scott said. “But as far as the coaching part, he hasn’t talked about making changes.”

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20151126/byron-scott-still-senses-support-from-lakers-front-office
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:34 am    Post subject:

Lakers Talk Offensive Adjustments
by Joey Ramirez - nba.com

After putting up just 77 points in Tuesday’s loss to the 16-0 Golden State Warriors, the Lakers have recognized the need for offensive adjustments.

The team has topped 100 points just once in its last nine games, and has shot worse than 38 percent in back-to-back contests.

According to Nick Young, this has to do with sluggish ball movement, which he says has resulted in a lack of offensive identity.

“Right now I don’t believe we have one,” Young said at Wednesday’s practice. “We have a lot of one-on-one players, including myself. I think that’s one of the major parts of why our offense is so stagnant.”

After Tuesday’s defeat, Young described the Lakers’ reliance on one-on-one playmaking as a video game-like approach.

Indeed, L.A.’s players have tried to take matters into their own hands, as a league-high 10.8 percent of possessions have been in isolation. But playing outside the offense hasn’t worked for the Lakers, as they have shot just 30.4 percent (41-of-135) on those iso attempts.

“It’s tough out there,” Young said. “We’ve got to find our identity. Like I’ve been saying, everybody’s a great one-on-one player, but we’ve got to work on team ball.”

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/151125_offensiveadjustments
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject:

D'Angelo Russell On If He Watches Film 'Not Really'
by Eric Yee - lakeshowlife.com

After Wednesday’s practice, Lakers rookie D’Angelo Russell spoke with the media and had various telling answers

In a recent interview, much was made of D’Angelo Russell’s answer regarding the best advice he’s received since entering the league.

Surprisingly, it wasn’t the cliche, “Stay humble,” or “Work hard everyday,” instead it was a subtle shot at the people asking him the questions.

“Don’t get caught up in the media. I mean, just don’t listen to it. Don’t get too high on it, don’t get too low on it.”

Interestingly, nothing was said about his more telling responses from the interview.

When asked about how much film working he’s currently doing, Russell’s answer was shocking. “Not a lot. Cause I feel like I know what I need to do well.”

Considering the recent reports of Russell going “Hollywood, too fast,” and that he, “simply doesn’t work as hard as Randle or Clarkson,” this is extremely discouraging for Lakers fans.

http://lakeshowlife.com/2015/11/26/lakers-dangelo-russell-on-if-he-watches-film-not-really/
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:06 am    Post subject:

These Lake Show Life articles are really dumb.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:

Some of them, sure. But I somehow find Hannah Kulik pretty enjoyable.

Or maybe it is that she is quite critical with Scott which resonates.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:

People forget that media people are not basketball people, and sometimes their lack of expertise on the topic leads to misunderstandings. This is one of those instances. The reporter asked, "How much film work are you doing to see what you're doing well and what needs to improve"...to which Russell replied, "Not a lot. Cuz I feel like I know what I need to well." Which then gets conflated to mean "he doesn't watch film."

The reality is that he answered the question that was asked the same way that most NBA players would. Every once in a while, if a player is in a slump or something, guys will watch film of themselves to see if they can self-correct, usually in conjunction with the player development guy. (think of a pitching coach analyzing the delivery of a pitcher in baseball, for example) But for the most part, guys are watching film for the purpose of analyzing opponent tendencies. The self scouting component is usually done in the team film room. There's nothing concerning about his answer.

That said, Russell needs to get better at navigating the media and understanding what they're trying to ask and how they can portray him. If you ever wonder why athletes give bland answers, this is a good example.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject:

Lakers have plans to improve Randle's jump shot
by Bill Oram - ocregister.com

Julius Randle knows he can get to the basket.

Give him the ball outside the paint, watch him settle into what he loves to do. It starts with a pump fake. His eyebrows shoot up and his mouth pops open as he initiates his attack with a shimmy, a dribble and a stutter-step.

He’s on his way.

Startled by Randle’s sudden speed, the defender is backpedaling. Randle tucks his chin into his chest and spins toward the rim.

Or he forcefully drives his right shoulder into the man guarding him to clear space, setting up a soft finish with his left hand.

“He puts the ball on the floor like no other power forward in this league,” Dirk Nowitzki said, following an early-season matchup.

Randle, the Lakers’ second-year forward, has always dominated offensively with power and strength.

What was good enough to get him to the NBA may also be good enough to get by. While the Lakers are once again one of the worst teams in the NBA, sporting a 2-12 record while balancing 37-year-old Kobe Bryant with a stable of young talent, Randle has been a bright spot. He is averaging 11.1 points and 8.6 rebounds.

However, the Lakers are challenging the No. 7 pick in the 2014 draft to expand his game to include a reliable jump shot, a skill Randle, who turns 21 Sunday, has never needed to rely on.

“I’ve known the basics,” Randle said.

But coaches say his form is loose. His left elbow juts outward, and Lakers’ first-year shooting coach Tracy Murray laments a hitch in Randle’s form that results in a catapult effect, rather that one smooth motion.

Murray, whose 12-year playing career included a season with the Lakers, says it is “crucial” Randle adds a jumper. Hall of Famer James Worthy, whom the Lakers hired this year to work with frontcourt players, said it is “vital.”

Both agreed that a reliable mid-range game is a higher priority than Randle being able to finish with his right hand, often perceived to be the biggest hole in Randle's game.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/randle-693973-shot-lakers.html
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:
D'Angelo Russell On If He Watches Film 'Not Really'
by Eric Yee - lakeshowlife.com

After Wednesday’s practice, Lakers rookie D’Angelo Russell spoke with the media and had various telling answers

In a recent interview, much was made of D’Angelo Russell’s answer regarding the best advice he’s received since entering the league.

Surprisingly, it wasn’t the cliche, “Stay humble,” or “Work hard everyday,” instead it was a subtle shot at the people asking him the questions.

“Don’t get caught up in the media. I mean, just don’t listen to it. Don’t get too high on it, don’t get too low on it.”

Interestingly, nothing was said about his more telling responses from the interview.

When asked about how much film working he’s currently doing, Russell’s answer was shocking. “Not a lot. Cause I feel like I know what I need to do well.”

Considering the recent reports of Russell going “Hollywood, too fast,” and that he, “simply doesn’t work as hard as Randle or Clarkson,” this is extremely discouraging for Lakers fans.

http://lakeshowlife.com/2015/11/26/lakers-dangelo-russell-on-if-he-watches-film-not-really/

Does that mean the lakers don't do film sessions after every games ?
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Byron Scott - Lakers ‘Don’t Trust Each Other On The Court’
by Corey Hansford - lakersnation.com

Ever since the Los Angeles Lakers were dominated by the Golden State Warriors, there has been a lot of discussion about what the team needs to do to turn things around.

Kobe Bryant spoke about his shot selection and what he needs to improve, while Nick Young said the team lacks an offensive identity. Some have wondered whether the Lakers pieces fit together.

Head coach Byron Scott doesn’t believe the Lakers lack chemistry. He does, however, think that the team doesn’t trust each other on the court according to LakersNation.com reporter Serena Winters:

Byron Scott says chemistry isn't the issue, says they "all get along," just "don't trust each other on the court."

http://www.lakersnation.com/byron-scott-lakers-dont-trust-each-other-on-the-court/2015/11/27/
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject:

X's and O's, system, roster, rotation... everything is superb! It's all about the trust and manning up. If only we can perfect these two things, we would win the title.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject:

Kobe is giving the Lakers an easy out
by J.A. Adande - espn.com

If you can physically tolerate watching Kobe Bryant play basketball this season, if you can somehow manage to watch despite the wincing at all the missed shots and the acid reflux they induce, you'll realize that this bottoming out actually makes things easier for Bryant and the Los Angeles Lakers.

At this rate -- specifically, 15.2 points per game on 31.1 percent shooting from the field and 19.5 percent from three-point range -- Kobe should not feel compelled to come back for another season. More significantly, if he does want to return, the Lakers are now under no obligation to accommodate him.

If Kobe kept dropping 20 points a game and maintained confidence that he could keep imposing his will on the rest of the NBA, he could have put the Lakers in a difficult position. He could have forced the Lakers to either bring him back next season at a salary more in line with his career accomplishments than his current abilities or face the wrath of their fan base as he went off to finish his career in another uniform. Not now, not after the best Kobe could do against the Golden State Warriors was 1-for-14.

Even the most loyal Kobe-ites, the ones with several versions of both the No. 8 and No. 24 Laker jerseys, don't want to see this continue. If Kobe pressed the Lakers and they pushed back, not a single person could blame them.

Kobe's poor play liberates the Lakers. They'll be ready to move on to a new era without Kobe's high salary and high usage rate combining to reduce cap space and congest the offense.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14235034/kobe-bryant-giving-lakers-easy-out
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject:

The humbling of Kobe Bryant has been shocking to witness
by TheGreatMambino - silverscreenandroll.com

While poor play and bad statistics in the face of modest expectations are jarring developments, it's Kobe's humility that's been truly surprising

Kobe Bryant has rarely looked this mortal.

Even as an 18-year-old, No. 8 didn't flinch when asked to throw down in a dunk contest with just two career starts under his belt.

Even as a slightly-older 18-year-old, the soon-to-be Black Mamba kept shooting despite air ball after air ball versus the Utah Jazz in the playoffs.

Even as a precocious 20-something, Kobe didn't fear the backlash of criticizing his superstar teammate Shaquille O'Neal, nor the demands to share the ball more from his six-time champion coach Phil Jackson.

Even after allegations of sexual assault, breaking a championship contender up and chasing a future Hall of Fame coach out of town, Bryant apologized for nothing and kept playing his way.

Even when the Boston Celtics physically abused his team into title submission, the newly minted No. 24 acknowledged his shortcomings, but defiantly promised to toughen up his squad.

And even as the dream team with Dwight Howard, Steve Nash and Pau Gasol saw their shaky foundations crumbling beneath them, KB pushed his body to the breaking point and even as he faltered, vowed that this wouldn't be the end.

And now, here we are. On the precipice of what could be -- what should be -- his final season, the Lakers icon is facing adversity once again.

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2015/11/27/9805254/la-lakers-kobe-bryant-struggles-retirement-career-season
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject:

TDIKH: November 27, 2001
by nba.com

After a clash between the NBA’s best teams, it was clear that the defending-champion Lakers were still the league’s top dogs.

The 11-1 Lakers trailed by 15 to the 9-1 Bucks, but battled back for a 15-point victory, 104-89.

Led by Kobe Bryant’s 23 second-half points, the Lakers stomped on Milwaukee late, particularly with a 30-14 fourth quarter.

Bryant finished with 33 points, hitting 11-of-23 from the field, plus 8-of-10 at the foul line. Shaquille O’Neal added 19 points and nine rebounds to combat 23 points from Sam Cassell.

But it was a clear team effort from a Lakers unit that improved to a franchise-best 13 wins through 14 games. L.A. outrebounded its visitors 57-36, while hauling in 24 offensive boards, and swatted a dozen shots to Milwaukee’s single block.

“It says we’re NBA champs,” Bryant told the media after the game. “Even when we’re down by 15, we have confidence in ourselves that we can come back. We’re going to keep fighting.”

http://www.nba.com/lakers/tdikh/1127
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:29 am    Post subject:

Lakers Road Back to Relevance Heavily Hinges on Free Agency
by Anthony Yassa - lakeshowlife.com

The Lakers latest forays into the free agent market have been doomed from the start.

Armed with flawed priorities and the hubris required to think that elite players would consider joining a floundering franchise, the Lakers front office has struck out repeatedly in free agency over the last few years.

In the first article of this series, readers got a preview of which players currently on the roster the Lakers need to retain, as well as a more in-depth discussion of the Lakers recent failings in free agency. This portion will focus on the players who compose this year’s free agent class, and discuss whether their additions are realistic and whether they would be helpful.

Although this class of free agents has been hyped for some time, in actuality the group is slightly top heavy. Beyond truly elite players that compose the top three to five, the pickings become much more slim, particularly for a team like the Lakers.

For the purposes of this article, players with almost zero chance of joining the Lakers will be left off the list. This includes Lebron James, who will almost certainly return to Cleveland, and Dwight Howard and Pau Gasol, both of whom already chose to depart Los Angeles in free agency.

It’s also impossible to cover every single player who will be available, with so many players hitting free agency this off-season. So this analysis will cover players who are notable for various reasons, be it their fit with the team or their notoriety from prior accomplishments.

http://lakeshowlife.com/2015/11/27/lakers-road-back-relevance-free-agency/
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:16 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:

People forget that media people are not basketball people, and sometimes their lack of expertise on the topic leads to misunderstandings. This is one of those instances. The reporter asked, "How much film work are you doing to see what you're doing well and what needs to improve"...to which Russell replied, "Not a lot. Cuz I feel like I know what I need to well." Which then gets conflated to mean "he doesn't watch film."

The reality is that he answered the question that was asked the same way that most NBA players would. Every once in a while, if a player is in a slump or something, guys will watch film of themselves to see if they can self-correct, usually in conjunction with the player development guy. (think of a pitching coach analyzing the delivery of a pitcher in baseball, for example) But for the most part, guys are watching film for the purpose of analyzing opponent tendencies. The self scouting component is usually done in the team film room. There's nothing concerning about his answer.

That said, Russell needs to get better at navigating the media and understanding what they're trying to ask and how they can portray him. If you ever wonder why athletes give bland answers, this is a good example.

And its this player we're talking about:

Quote:
"He's very unique," Matta said. "You're coming home the other night and it's (1 a.m.) and he's on the plane watching film. The other guys were studying or sleeping, one or the other, and he wants to learn. He wants to be a great player."

http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/story/sports/college/ohio-state/2015/01/25/russell-buckeyes-must-see-player/22322151/
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:46 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:

And its this player we're talking about:
Quote:
"He's very unique," Matta said. "You're coming home the other night and it's (1 a.m.) and he's on the plane watching film. The other guys were studying or sleeping, one or the other, and he wants to learn. He wants to be a great player."
http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/story/sports/college/ohio-state/2015/01/25/russell-buckeyes-must-see-player/22322151/
The concerns people have is that this players has not been seen often

More so, he's among the all-time greats in Buckeye history in terms of the must-see fun quotient.

Check out Youtube or the Vines posted on Twitter to see some of his best work, which is feeding guys with plenty how'd-he-do-that passes.

"The way he controlled the game in the first half was just unbelievable. I had no problem going off (of) the ball and letting him get us this lead the way he did. He did a great job out there," Scott said.

The comparison to Mike Conley seems to be "on point."

With players such as John Wall having a disappointing season, along with the disappointing season that Ty Lawson is having working with the high-ball usage player name The Beard (that just got McHale fired) - we should push and push DLO to be great while acknowledging that we are in the "Kobe missed 3 shots in the playoffs" time where he is learning the game.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Byron Scott dismisses lottery talk, fan dissatisfaction
by Mark Medina - insidesocal.com

The Lakers have not even completed a month of the 2015-16 season, but both an uncomfortable and familiar question has already emerged.

With the Lakers (2-12) entering Saturday’s game against the Portland Trail Blazers (6-10) at Moda Center with the NBA’s second-worst record, how much effort will the franchise put in retaining its top-3 protected draft pick?

“I don’t think about that whatsoever,” Lakers coach Byron Scott said following Saturday’s morning shootaround. “I probably won’t until April. That’s something I can’t control and that’s at the end of the season.”

The Lakers are in a precarious position. They appear likely bad enough to lose a lot of games. But will they be bad enough to land in the top three? Otherwise, the Lakers owe Philadelphia their first-round pick as part of the Steve Nash trade. The Lakers finished last season with the NBA’s fourth-worst record, but moved up two slots for the No. 2 pick. The Lakers eventually chose point guard D’Angelo Russell with that pick.

“It’s impossible to think about the team, try to get our young guys better, the team better and also thinking about a pick,” Scott said. “That’s six months away and you might not even get it. I don’t concern myself with things that aren’t in my control.”

http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/2015/11/28/lakers-byron-scott-dismisses-lottery-talk-fan-dissatisfaction/#more-29684
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject:

Time To Revamp Starting Lineup
by Hannah Kulik - lakeshowlife.com

The Lakers need changes to come to the starting lineup.

This year’s Lakers roster is a peculiar mix of players with either a lot of experience or almost no experience at all. On one end of the spectrum are 37-year-old Kobe Bryant and 36-year-old Metta World Peace, followed by Brandon Bass, Lou Williams, Nick Young, Ryan Kelly, and Marcelo Huertas, all of whom are between 29 and 32 years of age with a veteran experience at the professional level. On the other end of the scale are Robert Sacre who has completed three years in the NBA, Kelly who has two seasons behind him, and everyone else is either a rookie or second-year player.

In assembling this squad, the Lakers think-tank presumably expected the older players to share their wisdom and experience with the young guys while the energy and excitement of the younger players would rub off on the veterans.

Coach Byron Scott has followed this game plan, mixing veterans with young players in both the starting lineup and the second unit. Thus, most games, Bryant and Roy Hibbert have been paired in the starting lineup with three young players while Young, Williams and Bass comprise the second unit with Larry Nance, Jr. and either D’Angelo Russell or Jordan Clarkson, one of whom generally stays on the court with this group.

By now, except for those who are in in extreme denial, one must concede that this approach has not worked. The Lakers have won only two games, and, given their tough upcoming schedule, they could easily look up two weeks from now and find themselves with a record of 2-18.

Since the roster is set and there are no reinforcements available, the only realistic chance of seeing any improvement is by shuffling the deck.

http://lakeshowlife.com/2015/11/28/lakers-need-change-in-starting-lineup/
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: