Player fans/haters and LakersGround dissension.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Player fans/haters and LakersGround dissension.

I've been coming to this forum for well over 10 years. Never felt the need to post or join since I was content with the level of knowledge and insight that was provided.

With that being said, there is this odd dynamic at play here. I witnessed it during the Kobe & Shaq feuds. Where some take hard stands, and go on the offensive if any perceived negative is spoken about. Whether it's objective and rational or not. Kobe has a bad game, Kobe haters post gleefully. On the other end of the spectrum, offer a specific critique of Kobe and incur hostilities.

2016 I'm seeing the same dynamic at play. I'm watching the summer league post. DLo has a rough stretch, some of you were giddy and celebratory. Why would you delight in a Lakers prospect not performing well?? When he played exceptional, many of you felt the need to make posts to call out individuals who are critical of him rather then just enjoy the moment.

I guess I'm calling for a bit more civility, aren't we all rooting for the same team? I've observed some real adolescent behaviors as of late, and It always surprises me considering the quality of this forum.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Sky wrote:
Quote:
we are laker fans and as laker fans we should support every player crappy or not who is playing in the purple and gold... is that too much to ask?

The answer to that question depends on what type of fan you are. What we have is the perceptual divide that's common to all boards.

1. The player first fan that loves the Lakers because they love Kobe, or in some cases Sasha, Odom, fill in the blank.

2. The loyalty first fan who insists on backing every Laker because they are a Laker no matter what their performance is.

3. The team first fan that cares most about the team's results on the floor. And in cutthroat fashion basically nothing else.

Most are a balance of two, some an industrial-strength version of one only, and a smaller group are a percentage of all three. Each fan leans to one of the three.

So the answers to your question are:

Player first - I want better players than these scrubs Kupchak stuck us with, I want Kobe's prime optimized, I want a contender ASAP!

Loyalty first - Emoticon in support of the question being asked followed by a reference to true fans. In some cases a slap at bandwagoners and impatience, closing in a paean to let them gel.

Team first - Of course not you homers! If they suck the team suffers and we're screwed. Changes are essential!

What is necessary is for each group to understand that the other two exist and that it's legit to be one of the other options. Those who are industrial strength to their type are impatient and frequently disdainful of the other two. As a nuclear strength team first type I certainly plead guillty to that one.

What's interesting about this dynamic is that it applies not just to posters but boards. LG is 1 and 2 with 3's run out on a rail. So the 3's gravitate to CL or if they know about it the Lakerboard. Others go to LT which has a lot of 1's but also open debate.

The pet peeve of groups one and three is that the loyalty first crowd always ALWAYS ALWAYS plays the I'm a true fan and you're not card. And that pisses off 1 and 3 to no end. I'm a 3 and I've been a diehard Laker fan for 35 years. Who the (insert colorful metaphor here) are you to tell me how to be a fan and that I'm not a true fan.

What you mean to say is that I do not meet your definition of what a true fan is. Your definition is not the only one, please do not assume that it is, or impose your defintion of being a fan on me. Go Lakers! Carry on.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject:

You're been coming to this forum for 10 years but your account creation is 2016? How many accounts you been through?
umanasibo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Sky wrote:
Quote:
we are laker fans and as laker fans we should support every player crappy or not who is playing in the purple and gold... is that too much to ask?

The answer to that question depends on what type of fan you are. What we have is the perceptual divide that's common to all boards.

1. The player first fan that loves the Lakers because they love Kobe, or in some cases Sasha, Odom, fill in the blank.

2. The loyalty first fan who insists on backing every Laker because they are a Laker no matter what their performance is.

3. The team first fan that cares most about the team's results on the floor. And in cutthroat fashion basically nothing else.

Most are a balance of two, some an industrial-strength version of one only, and a smaller group are a percentage of all three. Each fan leans to one of the three.

Player first - I want better players than these scrubs Kupchak stuck us with, I want Kobe's prime optimized, I want a contender ASAP!

Loyalty first - Emoticon in support of the question being asked followed by a reference to true fans. In some cases a slap at bandwagoners and impatience, closing in a paean to let them gel.

Team first - Of course not you homers! If they suck the team suffers and we're screwed. Changes are essential!

What is necessary is for each group to understand that the other two exist and that it's legit to be one of the other options. Those who are industrial strength to their type are impatient and frequently disdainful of the other two. As a nuclear strength team first type I certainly plead guillty to that one.

What's interesting about this dynamic is that it applies not just to posters but boards. LG is 1 and 2 with 3's run out on a rail. So the 3's gravitate to CL or if they know about it the Lakerboard. Others go to LT which has a lot of 1's but also open debate.

The pet peeve of groups one and three is that the loyalty first crowd always ALWAYS ALWAYS plays the I'm a true fan and you're not card. And that pisses off 1 and 3 to no end. I'm a 3 and I've been a diehard Laker fan for 35 years. Who the (insert colorful metaphor here) are you to tell me how to be a fan and that I'm not a true fan.

What you mean to say is that I do not meet your definition of what a true fan is. Your definition is not the only one, please do not assume that it is, or impose your defintion of being a fan on me. Go Lakers! Carry on.

Man, I miss Sky's posts. What ever happened to him?
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
You're been coming to this forum for 10 years but your account creation is 2016? How many accounts you been through?

This is an example of an unnecessary post. But to answer your question I created an account many years ago and I don't remember the log in information. I believe I used the name calizfinest or something like that.

What is at the heart of your question?
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject:

in another thread you told a poster to pipe down. and then you create a new topic entirely to tell people to stop behaving like adolescents.

as always, self examination is the first step in making positive social change.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject:

Argument with Wolfpacker sent him to CL, where he started a blog, but I'm not sure what's he's up to these days.

Last edited by JUST-MING on Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Sky wrote:
Quote:

Well I guess that pretty much sums it up.. lol Concise and on point.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
in another thread you told a poster to pipe down. and then you create a new topic entirely to tell people to stop behaving like adolescents.

And you fail to elaborate on why I asked him to pipedown. Let's not be misleading in how we post.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

And you fail to elaborate on why I asked him to pipedown. Let's not be misleading in how we post.

yeah, because there's no reason for telling other posters to pipe down. it's just a nicer sounding euphemism for "shut up"
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

yeah, because there's no reason for telling other posters to pipe down. it's just a nicer sounding euphemism for "shut up"

Actually no, but people interpret words differently I suppose. I would think most would take it to mean calm down. At least that's how I would take it. I would never suggest anyone shut up on a forum where we're all giving opinions. Wouldn't make much sense.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

Actually no, but people interpret words differently I suppose. I would think most would take it to mean calm down. At least that's how I would take it. I would never suggest anyone shut up on a forum where we're all giving opinions. Wouldn't make much sense.

feel free to google the meaning of "pipe down." there is one agreed upon meaning of it and your use of it is incorrect.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

This is an example of an unnecessary post. But to answer your question I created an account many years ago and I don't remember the log in information. I believe I used the name calizfinest or something like that.

Hmm ... a thin-skinned poster who wants to lecture everyone else on how they should behave.

This is going to end well.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

feel free to google the meaning of "pipe down." there is one agreed upon meaning of it and your use of it is incorrect.

informal
stop talking; be less noisy.
synonyms: be quiet, be silent, hush, stop talking, hold one's tongue, settle down; informalshut up, shut one's mouth, zip it, button it, button one's lip, put a sock in it
"we had to ask that couple in the first row to pipe down"

This exchange is the one's I make an effort to avoid it's not basketball related and it feels silly really.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

Hmm ... a thin-skinned poster who wants to lecture everyone else on how they should behave.

This is going to end well.

Not thin skinned I'm just having difficulty understanding how grown men on a sporting board can bicker so much about the silliest of things. This thread has degenerated quickly, some of you manufacture ways to beef amongst yourselves. It's on display here. And If I speak on it, or point it out I'm thin skinned lol..
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

informal
stop talking; be less noisy.
synonyms: be quiet, be silent, hush, stop talking, hold one's tongue, settle down; informalshut up, shut one's mouth, zip it, button it, button one's lip, put a sock in it
"we had to ask that couple in the first row to pipe down"

This exchange is the one's I make an effort to avoid it's not basketball related and it feels silly really.

you'll notice the mods moved your post out of the basketball section, so seems like you're the one who started a non-basketball related topic. beyond that, you are the one who brought the discussion to the definition of "pipe down", not me. the lack of self awareness here is astounding.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
Not thin skinned I'm just having difficulty understanding how grown men on a sporting board can bicker so much about the silliest of things.

You don't spend much time on the Internet, huh?

SocalDevin wrote:
This thread has degenerated quickly, some of you manufacture ways to beef amongst yourselves.

Pot, let me introduce you to Kettle.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject:

I'm done... I feel like I'm communicating with children. You fellas enjoy the rest of your day. =)
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
I'm done... I feel like I'm communicating with children. You fellas enjoy the rest of your day. =)

LOL. Isn't this a thread we've seen a million times:

1. Poster lectures everyone on how they should behalf.

2. People respond by mocking or bashing the Poster.

3. The Poster tries to maintain a holier-than-thou tone before fleeing in frustration that his superiority is not recognized and admired.

My guess is he'll be back and this cycle will be repeated as least two more times before he throws in the towel for good
JH from Hemet
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:

Just FYI.....I am in the same boat....been coming here for years but just created an account recently.

We exist....
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

3. The Poster tries to maintain a holier-than-thou tone before fleeing in frustration that his superiority is not recognized and admired.

My guess is he'll be back and this cycle will be repeated as least two more times before he throws in the towel for good

I can't help but wonder the motivation for posts such as this?
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject:

JH from Hemet wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

Just FYI.....I am in the same boat....been coming here for years but just created an account recently.

We exist....

Welcome!! As you already know you're navigating turbulent waters. =)
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject:

I haven't been thrilled with the tone of the board lately. It definitely has cycles and there are always going to be divisive players and topics. I also know with a few years of poor results from the team, the board will be a little crankier than usual. But there's been a little too much of the Twitter-like snark or hot take posts just to get a rise out of people. Spend more time on substance and less on that and the board will be a better place.

I definitely want it to be a comfortable place where people feel free to join in and not lurk for years. The mods are stepping up the moderating a bit more lately, and it would help, of course, if people could self moderate a little more. It's a great community. As a service to that community, just back space over and delete those comments that essentially amount to "you're an idiot" before you reply to someone.

Also, re-read your posts before you post them. Does it sound like this: or like ... and use the a little more just to show what your own tone is.

I'm convinced most of you would get along great if you met in person. Even if you are continually at odds with a user here. We're generally friendlier to each other in person, whether because we use more of a filter or you can hear/see someone's intentions much easier, whatever it is...it would be better if people just made a little more effort to be aware that this medium has its limitations...don't make it trickier by being aggressive toward one another when you don't have to in order to get a point across.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
I haven't been thrilled with the tone of the board lately. It definitely has cycles and there are always going to be divisive players and topics. I also know with a few years of poor results from the team, the board will be a little crankier than usual. But there's been a little too much of the Twitter-like snark or hot take posts just to get a rise out of people. Spend more time on substance and less on that and the board will be a better place.

I definitely want it to be a comfortable place where people feel free to join in and not lurk for years. The mods are stepping up the moderating a bit more lately, and it would help, of course, if people could self moderate a little more. It's a great community. As a service to that community, just back space over and delete those comments that essentially amount to "you're an idiot" before you reply to someone.

Also, re-read your posts before you post them. Does it sound like this: or like ... and use the a little more just to show what your own tone is.

I'm convinced most of you would get along great if you met in person. Even if you are continually at odds with a user here. We're generally friendlier to each other in person, whether because we use more of a filter or you can hear/see someone's intentions much easier, whatever it is...it would be better if people just made a little more effort to be aware that this medium has its limitations...don't make it trickier by being aggressive toward one another when you don't have to in order to get a point across.

Well put, I'm in full agreement. It's probably better to simply disregard some responses entirely. There's a lot of astute commentary on this board which is why I've come for as long I have. It does feel a bit different now though.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
activeverb wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

I can't help but wonder the motivation for posts such as this?

Loosen up, babe. Like I said, I've seen threads like this a million times, where someone tries to instruct the world how to behave on the Internet, and it always plays out the exact same way. Just like it did this time. So the only motivation is to tell the truth and have some fun.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: