THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3174, 3175, 3176 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:58 pm    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
The Pilgrims had no papers when they got here from England.

Maybe they had vellum or parchment. Skin was in back then. Hand-laid paper had to be purchased from The Crown and had British watermarks. This was obviously before the Stamp Act, which made all paper products sans Brit stamps illegal (playing cards and dice were included, the dice had GR monograms carved into them, iirc, some real and contemporary fakes were shown on a Pawn Stars and the contemporary fakes were worth as much as the real ones because they told the same story. You can bet the surviving Pilgrims relied on vellum (animal skin parchment) for a good long time until they got a paper mill up, else they bought Brit paper off of Amazon.

GR & crown monogrammed (Gorge III Rex) Stamp Act bone dice, red is faded:
https://www.ironandpaper.com/product-page/revolutionary-war-era-tax-stamp-gr-stamped-dice
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:04 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
FernieBee wrote:

Maybe they had vellum or parchment.

How bizarre, as I was thinking about something along these lines . . . about two hours ago . . . before reading your response.

You had to be the oddball to voice what was in my head.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject:

24Legend007 wrote:
So why no mandate for vaccine in Congress? I thought this was about unity?

The real question you should ask yourself is why are so many people so stupid, ignorant and selfish that any mandates are necessary?
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:28 am    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
FernieBee wrote:

How bizarre, as I was thinking about something along these lines . . . about two hours ago . . . before reading your response.

I am starting to think NPZ might be a time traveler.. too much knowledge
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
24Legend007 wrote:

The real question you should ask yourself is why are so many people so stupid, ignorant and selfish that any mandates are necessary?

Corporations loved when Biden said he will require proof or test.

They were able to throw their hands in the air and say don’t blame us while getting their workers back to the offices they are spending fortunes to maintain.

I think a mandate would do the same here. They can whine about freedoms but be forced to do the smart thing .

Fox is doing it. They require vaccinations unless health says otherwise yet they spew how against them they are.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
24Legend007 wrote:

Corporations loved when Biden said he will require proof or test.

They were able to throw their hands in the air and say don’t blame us while getting their workers back to the offices they are spending fortunes to maintain.

I think a mandate would do the same here. They can whine about freedoms but be forced to do the smart thing .

Fox is doing it. They require vaccinations unless health says otherwise yet they spew how against them they are.

Yep. The right loves to rail about employer right—they should be able to pay what they want, not hire whomever they want, dictate the hours and deny family leave. Then there's a mandate that gives them a tool to ensure that their employees stay safe and gives them power over their employees and it's suddenly unacceptable.

It's like the whole bakery denies services to same sex couples argument—"the business shouldn't be forced to serve anyone who is against their values!" But when a business decides it doesn't want to risk exposure to a deadly virus and requires its patrons to be vaccinated, it's suddenly "tyranny via business!".

As an aside, it cracks me up when these various nutjob comedians etc. say they won't go to venues where vaccines are required, or the people who rant that they won't go to a restaurant for the same reason. As if they are actually doing something to hurt tha business—Hey moron, they don't want you there in the first place, that's the whole point. They're like the DudeBro who hits on the woman at the bar and gets shot down, so he goes to hi friends and says, "she's a (bleep) and probably a lesbian" . . . no dude, she just doesn't want anything to do with you because you're a douchebag.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:26 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
FernieBee wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
FernieBee wrote:

I am starting to think NPZ might be a time traveler.. too much knowledge

I am nothing if not full of useless info that I cannot profit from in any way, shape, or form. But thx!
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject:

Biden Administration Says IPCC 'Does Not Present Sufficient Cause' to End Offshore Drilling

Also there is this

https://twitter.com/piperk/status/1439010268562935811?s=21
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject:

We're somewhere between 50-75k votes in selective states away from Belarus.
Where a "President" can control who votes and whose vote is counted.
Where a President effectively destroyed term limits (been in power for over 2 decades now).
Says COVID isn't real.
Says nobody caught the virus.
Then eventually says it can be treated with alcohol.

So when Trump followers hit and run in this thread. Complain that there isn't an alternative reality friendy thread for themselves. And claim our mods are the Gestapo.
Forgive me, I don't care.

Last edited by kikanga on Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
We're somewhere between 50-75k votes in selective states away from Belarus.
Where a President can control who votes and whose vote is counted.
Where a President effectively destroyed term limits (been in power for over 2 decades now).
Says COVID isn't real.
Says nobody caught the virus.
Then eventually says it can be treated with alcohol.

So when Trump followers hit and run in this thread. Complain that there isn't an alternative reality friendy thread for themselves. And claim our mods are the Gestapo.
Forgive me, I don't care.

They don't care about anyone but themselves, so it's all good.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:19 pm    Post subject:

On Monday, the Biden administration is set to announce an initiative where thousands of LGBTQ service people who were drummed out with other than honorable discharges will have their rights and privileges restored.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject:

Randomly came across this New Yorker article from 10/11/2010 called: "Confounding Fathers -- The Tea Party's Cold War Roots." It talks about how the Tea Party and Glenn Beck style conspiracy theories (fed to him initially by an even more right wing Mormon, Willard Cleon Skousen), are outcroppings of the John Birch Society. I would say that Trump has been run by neo-Birchers all along. Just imagine the John Birch Society taking over the GOP. That's todays reality. It also says the change kind of corresponded with the passing of William F. Buckley in Feb. 2008, who was totally against the Birchers having influence. Well, I would say that plus Obama was elected that November, leading to the [Bircher] Tea Party formation in early 2009. But oh, how the article's last (quoted) paragraphs warned against Trumpism:
Quote:
Some Republicans have tried to extend the Buckley tradition, but to little effect. The commentator David Frum, a former speechwriter for George W. Bush, lost his job at the American Enterprise Institute after he complained about the Republicans’ obstruction of health-care reform and called the right-wing surge a threat to conservatism. In June, the congressman Bob Inglis, of South Carolina, a tough conservative who nonetheless backed Bush’s financial bailout, lost a vicious primary fight with a right-wing insurgent named Trey Gowdy. To his amazement, Inglis was confronted on the campaign trail by voters who were convinced that numbers on their Social Security cards indicated that a secret bank had bought them at birth. “And then, of course,” he recalls, “it turned into something about the Federal Reserve and the Bilderbergers and all that stuff.” Not even Karl Rove can afford open dissent with the Tea Partiers. Appearing on Fox News the night of the recent primaries, he described the Tea Party-backed Senate candidate in Delaware, Christine O’Donnell, as probably unelectable and said that some of her statements were “nutty.” Instantly, criticism came from Sarah Palin, Rush Limbaugh, and other right-wing Republicans. Within days, he was back on Fox, proclaiming himself “a huge Tea Party fan,” endorsing O’Donnell, and affirming that the National Republican Senatorial Committee would give her its full backing.

So far, Rove, an unlikely dissident, is the only prominent Republican leader to so much as gesture at stepping forward, as Buckley and his allies did. Even strong conservatives like Inglis have been pushed aside, as have such former G.O.P. stalwarts as Charlie Crist, in Florida, and Mike Castle, in Delaware, both beaten in the primaries by Tea Party candidates; Crist is now running a long-shot campaign as an Independent. Desperate for gains in the midterm elections, the Republicans are neglecting the struggle it took to make politics safe for Reagan.

Fifty years ago, President Kennedy deplored the far right’s “counsels of fear and suspicion.” Today, Obama’s White House is still struggling to make sense of its enemies. In the absence of forthright leadership, on both the right and the left, the job of standing up to extremists appears to have been left to the electorate. Candidates like O’Donnell may prove too eccentric to prevail, or voters may simply become disillusioned by politicians who campaign on their hatred of government. After the election, mainstream conservatives may well engage in what Richard Viguerie has forecast as “a massive, almost historic battle for the heart and soul of the Republican Party.” (Already, Rove and some leading Bush political operatives, including the former Republican National Committee chairman Ed Gillespie, have been quietly supplanting the battered G.O.P. establishment in the effort to raise funds for this year’s candidates.) But, according to a recent poll, more than seventy per cent of Republicans support the Tea Party, and it seems almost certain that a Republican Party that has unstintingly appeased the far right will enjoy a strong and perhaps smashing victory in the coming midterm elections.

In 1906, early in the Progressive era, the humorist Finley Peter Dunne’s fictional barroom sage, Mr. Dooley, put the social and political tumult of the day into perspective. “Th’ noise ye hear is not th’ first gun iv a revolution,” Dooley remarked. “It’s on’y th’ people iv th’ United States batin’ a carpet.” A century from now, or even a year from now, Americans may say the same about the Tea Party. For the moment, though, it appears that the extreme right wing is on the verge of securing a degree of power over Congress and the Republican Party that is unprecedented in modern American history. For defenders of national cohesion and tempered adversity in our politics, it is an alarming state of affairs.

New Yorker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Breaking NYT: Trump's campaign knew days after the 2020 election that wild claims about voting machine tampering were not true, court filings show.

https://mobile.twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1440380592609116160
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:
Breaking NYT: Trump's campaign knew days after the 2020 election that wild claims about voting machine tampering were not true, court filings show.

Trump & his evildoers had to keep pushing the big lie . . . in order to con his idiot followers out of more money.

Only in Dumbmerica.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:

I don't know that it is necessarily BREAKING NEWS. Everyone has known since last November that there was no tampering and that Trump knew that.

That said, I am certain that Fox News is going to have this as their lead for days to come.

(By the way, apparently "breaking news" is automatically filtered to be in bold and all caps, that was not my doing. )
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject:

I think Biden's tenure has been rough so far. We were always gonna be worse off in 2022 vs 2020 IMO. But how bad 2022 will be will come down to what legislation Biden can pass between now and then ... and how soon.

That's why I always circle back to Manchin and Sinema. This game of chicken those 2 are playing with the bi-partisan infrastructure deal (that no Republicans Senators will sign up for anyways) and the reconciliation bill coming out of the House is scary stuff. It's impossible to over exaggerate how awful Manchin and Sinema are.

I'm hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst. We're living in a world where Sinema is against positions that 75%+ of the population agrees with (lowering Prescription drug prices). If this thing falls apart can't blame it on Progressives. It's what blue dog Dems did to the ACA, but on steroids.

If no bill gets passed it'll be Democrat "moderates" fault. And I put "moderates" in quotes. Because I'm not buying that they are anything else than wolves in sheep clothes. The way they are completely fine with this thing falling apart is telling.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject:

It's easy to be a "moderate" when you're privileged and white.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject:

I’ve been hard on progressives at times, but with Bernie in the senate and my rep (Jayapal) steering the progressive caucus, they have made great strides with the mainstream liberals and even a fair number of moderates. Gotten a lot of legislation through the house and supported by the whitehouse. But these conservative Dems are just a killer.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject:

Texas-style abortion bill filed in Florida.

https://www.wtxl.com/news/local-news/abortion-bill-filed-with-florida-legislation
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
24Legend007 wrote:

Isaac Asimov said it best:

Quote:
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”

Link to full essay

And this was in 1980. Most of these people probably think they've developed wisdom simply by getting old. And imagine how many of those ignorant Americans have had children that are just like them.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject:

https://www.newsweek.com/michael-flynn-spreads-conspiracy-theory-deep-state-putting-vaccines-salad-dressing-1631715

I’m genuinely confused how this guy became a three star general and head of military intelligence of Central Command, the Joint Staff, ISAF, and then the entire military.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
I’ve been hard on progressives at times, but with Bernie in the senate and my rep (Jayapal) steering the progressive caucus, they have made great strides with the mainstream liberals and even a fair number of moderates. Gotten a lot of legislation through the house and supported by the whitehouse. But these conservative Dems are just a killer.

They've been much better team players than centrists so far despite some of the occasional whiny nonsense one may hear from Jake Tapper and his MSM ilk. Currently progressives are upholding Biden's agenda on infrastructure against moderates' best efforts to water it down.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
24Legend007 wrote:

Isaac Asimov said it best:

Quote:
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”

Link to full essay

And this was in 1980. Most of these people probably think they've developed wisdom simply by getting old. And imagine how many of those ignorant Americans have had children that are just like them.

Have you ever had a lengthy chat with a conservative climate change skeptic who has earned advanced degrees? Those people will learn more about climate science than I'll ever want to know just to debunk global warming during boozy debates at their cousin's wedding with an open bar.

Mike Pompeo, Tom Cotton, John Kennedy, Ted Cruz, et. al. are not stupid or ignorant men and there are a not insignificant number of over-educated conservatives out there who may have gone to Loyola Marymount instead of an Ivy League school but who still revel in the unscientific, regressive knowledge they can accumulate while maintaining an anti-intellectualist veneer. See J.D. Vance's schtick.

That written, knowledge and college is better than no college and anti-knowledge.

ETA: https://twitter.com/familyunequal/status/1440866970010677257

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

They've been much better team players than centrists so far despite some of the occasional whiny nonsense one may hear from Jake Tapper and his MSM ilk. Currently progressives are upholding Biden's agenda on infrastructure against moderates' best efforts to water it down.

I worry about progressive voters.
Manchin, Sinema, and some idiots centrist Democrats in the House are giving progressive voters all the ammo they need to try and justify their sitting out the mditerms.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:48 pm    Post subject:

What weed is Chris Cuomo smoking on CNN?

He described Biden as being on the far left. His bill is far left because it's 3.5 trillion (over 10 years, something drama queens conveniently leave out). Bernie and the progressive caucus wanted 6 trillion. Biden's 3.5 trillion bill isn't "far left".

Biden has been a moderate Democrat longer than I've been alive. But more importantly. Since when is the party leader. The President in a united executive and legislative branch. NOT the center of the party? Just because progressives agreed to this bill, doesn't make this bill "far left". Just because Biden wants to pass this legislation to help Americans. That doesn't make it "far left".
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3174, 3175, 3176 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next
Page 3175 of 3671
Jump to: