THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3366, 3367, 3368 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:35 pm    Post subject:

President Obama with the apt callback...

https://twitter.com/BarackObama/status/1559669129535176710
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
governator wrote:
Anti-abortion GOP
Treasonous GOP POTUS

So... are folks here feeling more optimistic about 2022 and 2024 now compare to say 6 months ago?

Yes and no. Because the SCOTUS is so blatant now, the GOP has had the ability to really gerrymander and pass voter restrictions that will hold up, so while I feel better about the senate (as good as I can remembering how easily the swing voters swing), the house is going to be really tough to hold. Then there’s the prospect that the 24 election might be won and then reversed by gop state legislatures.

Yeah but last year with inflation/gas prices going nuts dominating the news, I thought 2022 was a total lost cause then GOP went nuts themselves
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:36 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
This case is looking easier and easier to prosecute — and inching closer and closer to impossible to decline to do so.

NYT:

Trump’s former Deputy WH Counsel tried to help National Archives retrieve the material.

“It’s not theirs, it’s mine,” Trump said.

Quote:
2. Note the witnesses to these communications.

NYT: “The former president repeatedly resisted entreaties from his advisers.

‘It’s not theirs, it’s mine,’ SEVERAL advisers say Mr. Trump told them.”

Several

Plus all the comms with Philbin post Jan 20.

https://twitter.com/rgoodlaw/status/1559652140372590593?t=4S7HoheD6F2n9mg23uc_QA&s=19
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:42 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

They both have excellent meme games:

Quote:
President Biden @POTUS

Thanks, Obama

Quote:
Barack Obama @BarackObama

This is a BFD.

Quote:
President Biden @POTUS

The Inflation Reduction Act is now law.

Giving Medicare the power to negotiate lower prescription drug prices. Ensuring wealthy corporations pay their fair share in taxes.

And taking the biggest step forward on climate in our history.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:10 pm    Post subject:

A question I cannot let go

If any of these documents were so sensitive they required the FBI.. why did they let him have them so long?
I feel like a Trump supporter for even asking a question that looks like conspiracy talk

Something is just another level above my IQ for this one... Such a developed nation we can't keep these items secured?
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:51 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:

If any of these documents were so sensitive they required the FBI.. why did they let him have them so long?
I feel like a Trump supporter for even asking a question that looks like conspiracy talk

Something is just another level above my IQ for this one... Such a developed nation we can't keep these items secured?

The govt. tried for many months to get them back, but Trump would not return them, so the govt. went the FBI route.

EFF Trump and all his supporters. I hope that crap sandwich being served up to them tastes good.

ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:27 pm    Post subject:

Canadians.. breath of fresh air from the North

mayor of Peterborough, Ontario, where some QAnon stuff was going on
Quote:

Diane Therrien

@DianeNTherrien

People have been asking me to comment on the events of the past weekend in #ptbo. I hate giving airtime/spotlight to these imbeciles. Here is my comment: (bleep) off, you (bleep).
https://mobile.twitter.com/dianentherrien/status/1559623988648763394
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:37 pm    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:

The govt. tried for many months to get them back, but Trump would not return them, so the govt. went the FBI route.

EFF Trump and all his supporters. I hope that crap sandwich being served up to them tastes good.

There’s also the fact that they had to painstakingly reconstruct the trail of what documents there would and should be and where they went. It’s not like there’s an obvious master list that everyone has of documents that are so sensitive they are compartmentalized. But outrage junkies don’t have to account for reality.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:45 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
FernieBee wrote:

There’s also the fact that they had to painstakingly reconstruct the trail of what documents there would and should be and where they went. It’s not like there’s an obvious master list that everyone has of documents that are so sensitive they are compartmentalized. But outrage junkies don’t have to account for reality.

There was a long sequence of events that played out:

1) National Archives started cataloging records from Trump presidency and realized several famous items were missing (Obama's note to Trump at beginning of 2016, North Korean letter to Trump).

2) They asked Trump for missing records. Eventually it was discovered dozens of boxes of records had been taken to Mar a Lago.

3) National Archives having discovered the boxes asked again that they be returned. Over and over.

4) National Archives finally went down to Mar a Lago with a truck and took what they were told were "all the records."

5) National Archives finally starts going through boxes. They are alarmed to discover what are obviously "Top Secret" documents; many torn up and taped together. These are mixed in with other documents and not segregated or marked.

6) National Archives alerts the DOJ that they are in possession of Top Secret documents and that there may be more at Mar a Lago.

7) DOJ asks that Trump turn over any other classified material.

8) Trump stalls. Whenever his staff tell him he needs to turn over the documents he tells them, "These are mine! Not theirs!."

9) DOJ lawyers and Trump lawyers go back and forth. Still nothing happens.

10) A group of DOJ lawyers, one with specialty in national security, go down to Mar a Lago and ask to see the documents. They find that dozens of boxes of records are in a basement area that is not locked.

11) DOJ lawyers return home and ask Trump to put a lock on the record storage room.

12) DOJ subpoenas Trump and successfully obtains security footage to see who is accessing the records room.

13) DOJ issues subpoena for the records. Trump lawyers sign an affidavit stating that there are no other sensitive or secret documents and that everything has been turned over.

14) DOJ does not accept that as the truth and begins broader investigation relating to obstruction of justice, possible espionage, etc. They conclude they are being intentionally lied to.

15) Merrick Garland is informed and realizes he is the only one who can make the call to go down to Mar a Lago and seize records. He makes sure there is sufficient evidence before he executes the search warrant.

16) Search warrant is issued and executed.

In a spy movie that takes about 15 minutes. In real life it took about 15 months.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:12 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
FernieBee wrote:

There was a long sequence of events that played out:

1) National Archives started cataloging records from Trump presidency and realized several famous items were missing (Obama's note to Trump at beginning of 2016, North Korean letter to Trump).

2) They asked Trump for missing records. Eventually it was discovered dozens of boxes of records had been taken to Mar a Lago.

3) National Archives having discovered the boxes asked again that they be returned. Over and over.

4) National Archives finally went down to Mar a Lago with a truck and took what they were told were "all the records."

5) National Archives finally starts going through boxes. They are alarmed to discover what are obviously "Top Secret" documents; many torn up and taped together. These are mixed in with other documents and not segregated or marked.

6) National Archives alerts the DOJ that they are in possession of Top Secret documents and that there may be more at Mar a Lago.

7) DOJ asks that Trump turn over any other classified material.

8) Trump stalls. Whenever his staff tell him he needs to turn over the documents he tells them, "These are mine! Not theirs!."

9) DOJ lawyers and Trump lawyers go back and forth. Still nothing happens.

10) A group of DOJ lawyers, one with specialty in national security, go down to Mar a Lago and ask to see the documents. They find that dozens of boxes of records are in a basement area that is not locked.

11) DOJ lawyers return home and ask Trump to put a lock on the record storage room.

12) DOJ subpoenas Trump and successfully obtains security footage to see who is accessing the records room.

13) DOJ issues subpoena for the records. Trump lawyers sign an affidavit stating that there are no other sensitive or secret documents and that everything has been turned over.

14) DOJ does not accept that as the truth and begins broader investigation relating to obstruction of justice, possible espionage, etc. They conclude they are being intentionally lied to.

15) Merrick Garland is informed and realizes he is the only one who can make the call to go down to Mar a Lago and seize records. He makes sure there is sufficient evidence before he executes the search warrant.

16) Search warrant is issued and executed.

In a spy movie that takes about 15 minutes. In real life it took about 15 months.

Here's the sequence had it been any other person with Top Secret clearance in possession of classified documents:

1) National Archives started cataloging records and realized several items were missing.

2) National Archives alerts the DOJ.

3) Search warrant is issued and executed. Perpetrator is thrown in jail.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:11 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

They both have excellent meme games:

Quote:
President Biden @POTUS

Thanks, Obama

Quote:
Barack Obama @BarackObama

This is a BFD.

Quote:
President Biden @POTUS

The Inflation Reduction Act is now law.

Giving Medicare the power to negotiate lower prescription drug prices. Ensuring wealthy corporations pay their fair share in taxes.

And taking the biggest step forward on climate in our history.

Even a simple thing like this, the use of accidental F word, highlight the massive difference in how classy one side is and how the other is not
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:14 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:

Here's the sequence had it been any other person with Top Secret clearance in possession of classified documents:

1) National Archives started cataloging records and realized several items were missing.

2) National Archives alerts the DOJ.

3) Search warrant is issued and executed. Perpetrator is thrown in jail.

Yup.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:28 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

And in the spy movie, the traitor is immediately locked up.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:05 am    Post subject:

CNN

(Legal heavy hitters reject Trump as investigation heats up, reporter says)

Quote:
A new report from the Washington Post says that former President Donald Trump is struggling to assemble a team of veteran lawyers to defend him against the Justice Department's investigation into the handling of confidential documents at Mar-a-Lago. Post reporter Isaac Arnsdorf joins New Day to discuss.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:07 am    Post subject:

CNN

('There's something strange going on': Some fear a coup in Brazil)

Quote:
Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro launched his reelection campaign amid fears of violence. CNN's Isa Soares reports.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:11 am    Post subject:

Murdock
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:19 am    Post subject:

Quote:

Liz Cheney considers run for president after Republican primary defeat

Republican congresswoman Liz Cheney has announced she is considering her own run for the White House in an all-out effort to prevent Donald Trump from winning another term as US president.

Cheney decisively lost her Republican primary race on Tuesday night and will lose her seat in the US Congress.

The Trump-backed challenger Harriet Hageman beat Cheney by almost 40 points as Wyoming voters took revenge for her voting to impeach Trump and for focusing on her role on the January 6 House select committee.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/aug/17/liz-cheney-president-2024-trump-republican-primary-defeat
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:39 am    Post subject:

I want her to run just to see her torment Trump in the most articulate and vicious way possible every single day of the campaign. And any votes she would siphon off Trump helps the Democrats. When it comes to Trump, she has a special talent for twisting the knife while she guts him. And she does it in a way no high profile Democrat could get a way with.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:10 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
I want her to run just to see her torment Trump in the most articulate and vicious way possible every single day of the campaign. And any votes she would siphon off Trump helps the Democrats. When it comes to Trump, she has a special talent for twisting the knife while she guts him. And she does it in a way no high profile Democrat could get a way with.

When it comes to screwing with Trump, Liz Cheney has super-powers.

EFF Trump and ALL his supporters.

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Various recent polls show Democrats ahead, slightly ahead or tied in Senate races below:

Val Demings just ahead of Marco Rubio in Florida.
Tim Ryan ahead of JD Vance in Ohio.
John Fettterman ahead of Dr. Oz in Penn.
Mark Kelly ahead of Masters in AZ
Democrat Beasley tied with Budd in NC
Warnock ahead of Walker in GA
Cortes Masto ahead of Laxalt in NV
Mandela Barnes ahead of Ron Johnson in Wisconsin

link
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:07 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

The debates would be interesting because it would force all the others to pick a side on the Big Lie and Trump's authoritarian ways.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject:

!!!

Quote:
Molly Crane-Newman @molcranenewman

Source confirms Allen Weisselberg will implicate the Trump Organization and Trump Payroll Corp when he pleads guilty to criminal tax fraud charges in the morning — and he will agree to testify against them at trial in October if called as a witness.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:12 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
!!!

Quote:
Molly Crane-Newman @molcranenewman

Source confirms Allen Weisselberg will implicate the Trump Organization and Trump Payroll Corp when he pleads guilty to criminal tax fraud charges in the morning — and he will agree to testify against them at trial in October if called as a witness.

Will he live long enough to testify?

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

The debates would be interesting because it would force all the others to pick a side on the Big Lie and Trump's authoritarian ways.

I doubt there will be debates. If Trump announces, the rest of the field will cowardly bow out and let him have it. And Trump would not debate her one-on-one on Fox (or anywhere else) - he's too much of a coward. I expect that after Trump "wins" the nomination, she will run against him as a third-party candidate. And Trump will find an excuse not to debate Biden again.

Also, Republicans have already said they won't participate in any main stream media run debates in the general election.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:34 pm    Post subject:

MSNBC

(Busted And Panicking: Trump Sent Apparent Threat To Attorney General After Search)

Quote:
Legal heat on Donald Trump intensifying as The New York Times reports on an unusual backchannel message Trump sent to Attorney General Garland, saying "the country is on fire" and adding he wants to help "reduce the heat." It comes amid an “unprecedented” rise in threats to the FBI after Trump's Mar-A-Lago home was legally searched. Former FBI special agent Asha Rangappa says it's wrong for a search subject to send that kind of message, adding: “It was very improper… an act of desperation,” and it “sounded like a veiled quid-pro-quo.”
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3366, 3367, 3368 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next
Page 3367 of 3673
Jump to: