THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3430, 3431, 3432 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:57 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:
Sarah Ferris @sarahnferris (Politico reporter)

NEWS: Rep Adam Schiff has decided NOT to seek a leadership post in House Dem caucus and is instead looking more seriously at a Senate run, per multiple sources

There is speculation that Dianne Feinstein will step down after the Georgia election and that Newsom will appoint Schiff to hold the seat through the 2024 election when her term ends.

Oh please, oh please, oh please . . .

She's got moxy or somethin. I don't know what you would call it, but back in the day, she willfully divulged info to reporters about Richard Ramirez that the cops in LA had managed to hide from LA reporters. She was probably lucky, especially back then, that they caught him shortly thereafter before he added another victim to the tally, but it takes something to do that, especially when children were victims. I'm not sure what that something is, but it's something...

Dianne Feinstein is 89. I say no more.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:17 am    Post subject:

Chuck Grassley is a similar age and just won his seat again. They should both retire but we know only one side will pressure their members when appropriate. The Republicans ride with their senile old white men until they die.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:04 pm    Post subject:

I'll say this - there are over 13,000,000 people in this country over the age of 80, many of which will live pat 90 and a good chunk past 100, especially as technology improves. Those people deserve representation in their government. Someone's age also is not an automatic disqualifier from being in a position of responsibility; in fact, it many times can be a qualifier for someone in such a position. I also believe that people in cognitive decline can still, and often do, provide valuable services to those around them.

I want Grassley and Feinstein gone because I don't think they adequately represent the American people (and, specifically, the values of Californians like myself). Their age has nothing to do with it, nor should it.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject:

Pelosi announces she will not run for leadership post after GOP wins House

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:26 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
I'll say this - there are over 13,000,000 people in this country over the age of 80, many of which will live pat 90 and a good chunk past 100, especially as technology improves. Those people deserve representation in their government. Someone's age also is not an automatic disqualifier from being in a position of responsibility; in fact, it many times can be a qualifier for someone in such a position. I also believe that people in cognitive decline can still, and often do, provide valuable services to those around them.

I want Grassley and Feinstein gone because I don't think they adequately represent the American people (and, specifically, the values of Californians like myself). Their age has nothing to do with it, nor should it.

Advanced age is not a disqualifier. Life in the political arena is leaps and bounds more taxing than day to day living. The person of advanced age knows better than anyone how much they can carry. Realizing and accepting are key. Can she handle the position YES? Is it becoming more difficult? Watching Dianne speak I feel it's time to pass the torch.

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:07 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

Strom Thurmond was icky tho. You gotta give us Strom.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:51 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Strom Thurmond was icky tho. You gotta give us Strom.

He made it to the century mark.

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:45 pm    Post subject:

David Pakman Show

(Marjorie Taylor Greene CONFRONTED: Why Did Trump's Endorsements Lose?)

Quote:
-- Radical Republican Congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene is confronted about Donald Trump's 2022 endorsement losses, and her answer is priceless
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:48 pm    Post subject:

David Pakman Show

(Republicans Win House, Will Be Hunter Biden 24/7)

Quote:
-- Republicans have taken control of the House of Representatives in the 2022 midterm elections
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:55 pm    Post subject:

MSNBC

(Kevin McCarthy Is ‘The Weakest Speaker In History’ Says Rick Wilson | The Katie Phang Show)

Quote:
Following 2022 midterms, the Republican party has taken control of the House, but Kevin McCarthy still has work to do in order to become Speaker. The Lincoln Project’s Rick Wilson joins Katie Phang to discuss.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:20 pm    Post subject:

MSNBC

(Plouffe: House GOP Leans Into Agenda That Voters ‘Screamed Loudly’ Against)

Quote:
David Plouffe: “Kevin McCarthy already on Day 1 has basically said, ‘The crazies—the Gosars, the MTGs, they are going to drive the bus here.’ It is so far away from what the American people just screamed very loudly last week they wanted the country and their leaders to focus on.”
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:39 pm    Post subject:

The Majority Report w/ Sam Seder

(LEAKED: Audio Exposes Conservative Plan To Attack Contraception Rights & IVF)

Quote:
ProPublica has obtained audio of a call between Tennessee State Legislators and Anti-Choice lobbyists, Will Brewer, the legal counsel for the organization Tennessee Right To Life, who urged Tennessee State legislators to "play offense" and refuse to accept any exemptions in their legislation.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:33 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

Feinstein is too conservative for today's Democratic party. It may have worked in the '90s, but now that many Dems want to legalize cannabis, raise the minimum wage and at least institute a public health care option, she's been left behind.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:41 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Feinstein is too conservative for today's Democratic party. It may have worked in the '90s, but now that many Dems want to legalize cannabis, raise the minimum wage and at least institute a public health care option, she's been left behind.

I'll say it - 80 is too old to hold federal office. POTUS, SCOTUS, Congress, Senate, Cabinet, Federal Judges - sit your old asses down. And I'm closer to 80 than 95% of this board.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:44 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
slavavov wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

I'll say it - 80 is too old to hold federal office. POTUS, SCOTUS, Congress, Senate, Cabinet, Federal Judges - sit your old asses down. And I'm closer to 80 than 95% of this board.

That’s ageist BS. It needs to be based on the individual. I hate to tell you this, but the most consequential political achievements in a long time were by a couple 80 year olds and one not far off.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:21 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
slavavov wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

That’s ageist BS. It needs to be based on the individual. I hate to tell you this, but the most consequential political achievements in a long time were by a couple 80 year olds and one not far off.

I completely disagree. For the first 200 years of our existence, Uncle Sam had a mandatory retirement age of 70 for all non-elected/non-politically appointed positions. Even now, at the federal level in key positions under the "young and vigorous" standard:

Federal Law Enforcement Officers must retire at age 57 (60 if the agency has a special need and receives a waiver). Ditto Capitol Police and Postal Inspectors.

Military must retire at age 62 (64 for flag officers, 68 for medical officers with waiver by service secretary).

Air Traffic Controllers must retire at age 56.

Yet, Reagan served as POTUS with what is now acknowledged as signs of dementia late into his 1st term. Strom Thurmond was literally unable to stay awake for the entirety of any committee meetings his last EIGHT YEARS in office.

DOES CONGRESS HAVE A DEMENTIA PROBLEM?

Quote:
. . . Mike Kim, the owner of Grubb’s, told STAT News that he is routinely filling prescriptions for drugs that treat Alzheimer’s disease. For members of Congress!

If pharmacists are shipping Alzheimer’s medication to Capitol Hill, then some number of congressmen are medically unqualified to hold office. And we don’t know which ones or how many. They could be back-benchers or they could be sitting at the upper tiers of leadership, making decisions of global significance. Since one’s rank in Congress is based mostly on seniority, the oldest members have the most power. Terrifying.

“At first it’s cool, and then you realize, I’m filling some drugs that are for some pretty serious health problems as well. And these are the people that are running the country,” Kim, the pharmacist, said. “It makes you kind of sit back and say, ‘Wow, they’re making the highest laws of the land and they might not even remember what happened yesterday.’”

Of course, not every 80+ year old has cognitive impairment - but why not impose a "young & vigorous" standard on those who occupy the most important roles in government?
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:38 am    Post subject:

The average age of the senate from 1940-2000 ranged from 52-57. Starting in 2000, it's gone up every year and it's now more than 65. 70% of current Senators are 60+, and in 1980 that was only 25%.

Basically, the current people in power will not let go, and will not retire.

Personally, I'd like to see a legislative body that represents not only the demographics, but also the age of the country, and it'd be great if they'd live long enough to see the results of kicking the legislative can down the road on things like climate change.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:23 am    Post subject:

Few things demonstrate how the world is going to (bleep) better than the asinine hysteria over not being able to get Taylor Swift tickets.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:13 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Few things demonstrate how the world is going to (bleep) better than the asinine hysteria over not being able to get Taylor Swift tickets.

Speaking of tickets. My 19 year old daughter and wife tried for tickets for 2 days...presale, Capital One priority, etc....fail fail fail. Ticketmaster sucks.

I had also set up for presale and two days ago, when the capital one priority opened up, I got 3 tickets (for wife, daughter and friend) in the 225 section at So Fi.

I look like a superstar and it was pretty effortless for me....

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:36 am    Post subject:

PoliticsGirl

(Post election thoughts…)
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:40 am    Post subject:

MSNBC

(GOP Doubles Down On Extremism After Party Takes House)

Quote:
If voters thought House Republicans would learn their lessons about extremism after the outcome of the midterms, think again. The party in the House seems to be charging ahead with a polarizing agenda aimed at inflicting political pain on President Biden and Democrats.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:06 am    Post subject:

Breaking: Merrick Garland to appoint a Special Counsel to investigate whether Trump should be indicted. Just more delays. Unbelievably cowardly.

Quote:
Kyle Cheney @kyledcheney

NEWS: AG Garland has appointed a special counsel to determine whether Donald Trump should face charges in Jan. 6 and Mar-a-Lago probes.

Details TK w/ @joshgerstein

(Will post a link when I see full article.)

Last edited by ChefLinda on Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:08 am    Post subject:

^^

Quote:
Garland to name special counsel in Trump probes

Attorney General Merrick Garland is expected to announce the appointment of a special counsel to oversee federal investigations into former President Trump just days after Trump announced his intent to seek office again in 2024.

According to The Associated Press, Garland will seek a special counsel to take on both the Justice Department’s investigation into the mishandling of sensitive government records at Mar-a-Lago as well as aspects of its investigation surrounding the Jan. 6, 2021 Capitol attack.

https://thehill.com/policy/national-security/3742055-garland-to-name-special-counsel-in-trump-probes/
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:09 am    Post subject:

Frisch concedes to Boebert
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:15 am    Post subject:

NYT: Garland to Name Special Counsel for Trump Investigations

Quote:
Attorney General Merrick B. Garland will announce on Friday that he is appointing a special counsel to take over two major criminal investigations involving former President Donald J. Trump, including his role in events leading up to the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol and his handling of sensitive government documents.

The announcement, which a senior law enforcement official said Mr. Garland would make Friday afternoon, came after Mr. Trump said on Tuesday that he planned to run for president again, a decision some have claimed was taken to make it more difficult for prosecutors to pursue criminal cases against him.

The appointment of a special counsel was a way for the Justice Department to insulate its investigations against Mr. Trump from political considerations. While special counsels can be fired from their positions, the process is much more arduous than removing ordinary prosecutors from a case.

Special counsels are semi-independent prosecutors who by Justice Department regulations can be appointed for high-level investigations when there can be a conflict of interest, or the appearance of it. They exercise greater day-to-day autonomy than regular United States attorneys, but are ultimately still subject to the control of the attorney general.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3430, 3431, 3432 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next
Page 3431 of 3673
Jump to: