OFFICIAL ROB PELINKA THREAD.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 161, 162, 163 ... 241, 242, 243  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject:

i agree with others. even if just on height alone, pelinka took kuz-6'9", AC-6'5", KCP-6'5", trez-6'8" and replaced with with a bunch of 6'2" and shorter guards, an old Ariza and REALLY OLD melo. he didn't foresee that as a bit of an issue?

i was okay with the WB trade, but then we starting seeing a concession line of guards being signed. and on top of that, ones that are not known for their defense.

i doubt anyone wants WB with his contract, but monk, nunn, even THT might be flipped for some size and D. tricky situation as guys like monk signed with us on the cheap for a chance to win a ring. then we'd look like jerks trading him. but it's a business, that's how it goes.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:
i agree with others. even if just on height alone, pelinka took kuz-6'9", AC-6'5", KCP-6'5", trez-6'8" and replaced with with a bunch of 6'2" and shorter guards, an old Ariza and REALLY OLD melo. he didn't foresee that as a bit of an issue?

i was okay with the WB trade, but then we starting seeing a concession line of guards being signed. and on top of that, ones that are not known for their defense.

i doubt anyone wants WB with his contract, but monk, nunn, even THT might be flipped for some size and D. tricky situation as guys like monk signed with us on the cheap for a chance to win a ring. then we'd look like jerks trading him. but it's a business, that's how it goes.

We should look to develop and keep Monk.. but as you say it is a business.. not as well run as it should be imho
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Saying it for the past 2 years, Most overrated GM.

Got extremely lucky with Rondo, Dwight and Kieff in the 1st year. he thought that was his skill. It was not
Laker_Jocker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:

This is an objective complaint - size was key for the Lakers getting #17 and apparently has been ignored. Even if the philosophy is to play more small ball it still lacks size. GSW is the standard for small ball and even they are more size conscious:

Nemanja Bjelica - 6' 9"
Stephen Curry - 6' 2"
Draymond Green - 6' 6"
Andre Iguodala - 6' 6"
Damion Lee - 6' 5"
Kevon Looney - 6' 9"
Gary Payton - 6' 3"
Jordan Poole - 6' 4"
Otto Porter Jr. - 6' 8"
Klay Thompson - 6' 6"
Juan Toscano-Anderson - 6' 6"
Andrew Wiggins - 6' 7"
James Wiseman - 7' 0"

vs

Carmelo Anthony - 6' 7"
Trevor Ariza - 6' 8"
Kent Bazemore - 6' 4"
Avery Bradley - 6' 3"
Anthony Davis - 6' 10"
Wayne Ellington - 6' 4"
Talen Horton-Tucker - 6' 4"
LeBron James - 6' 9"
Dwight Howard - 6' 10" (knew to be intentionally limited minutes)
DeAndre Jordan - 6' 11" (knew to be intentionally limited minutes)
Malik Monk - 6' 3"
Kendrick Nunn - 6' 2"
Austin Reaves - 6' 5" (undrafted rookie)
Rajon Rondo - 6' 1"
Russell Westbrook - 6' 3"

Really only 4 usable "bigs" on the roster......
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
I think most (at least me) support his understanding that you need HOFers in prime to win. We only had 1, and we won 1. Now we have 2. I don't think we ever had Bron in his prime. The fact that we won a title with a HOFer out of his prime as our most valuable player, is awesome, IMO.

Westbrook is in his prime? I hope everything works out in the end, but Westbrook is 33 and wasn't an all-star or all-NBA last year. This doesn't mean that he is washed up and can't play, but your theory doesn't actually work. It makes a lot more sense to look at it the way Koalita did: Pelinka wanted to build a big three and fill out the roster with ring chasers.

Critics: Style over substance, 1-dimensional superficial thinking, when you've already won a championship you optimize/improve the margins, squeeze every ounce out of the assets you have to enhance what you already have in your pocket
Supporters: Unconventional, out-of-the-box thinking. Conservatism is loser/defensive mentality, the league will pass you by while you stand still. He was bold, he had guts, he swung for the fences, he channeled Dr. Buss at his winner-best.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
I think most (at least me) support his understanding that you need HOFers in prime to win. We only had 1, and we won 1. Now we have 2. I don't think we ever had Bron in his prime. The fact that we won a title with a HOFer out of his prime as our most valuable player, is awesome, IMO.

Westbrook is in his prime? I hope everything works out in the end, but Westbrook is 33 and wasn't an all-star or all-NBA last year. This doesn't mean that he is washed up and can't play, but your theory doesn't actually work. It makes a lot more sense to look at it the way Koalita did: Pelinka wanted to build a big three and fill out the roster with ring chasers.

Critics: Style over substance, 1-dimensional superficial thinking, when you've already won a championship you optimize/improve the margins, squeeze every ounce out of the assets you have to enhance what you already have in your pocket
Supporters: Unconventional, out-of-the-box thinking. Conservatism is loser/defensive mentality, the league will pass you by while you stand still. He was bold, he had guts, he swung for the fences, he channeled Dr. Buss at his winner-best.

I guess it’s debatable if Westbrook is in his prime, but he certainly isn’t Lebron, who when he started the Lakers campaign immediately began to break down and miss a lot of games. I think WBs decline is still 1-2 years away. He’s the fastest dude out there and beats everyone off the dribble still. Lebron wasn’t doing this ever as a Laker.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:53 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

One problem with the above is it implies all HOFers are equivalent. But they're not. Kareem, Michael Jordan and Kobe are all Hall of Famers, but so are Mitch Richmond, Gus Johnson, and Connie Hawkens.

Lebron isn't just a HOFer. He is genuine contention for the GOAT. Lebron past his prime is still better than a number of HOFers in their prime.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:25 am    Post subject:

This belongs here
Made by Bulls fan
The Legend of Alex Caruso and Why People Call Him the GOAT
Nov 30, 2021
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:00 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

One problem with the above is it implies all HOFers are equivalent. But they're not. Kareem, Michael Jordan and Kobe are all Hall of Famers, but so are Mitch Richmond, Gus Johnson, and Connie Hawkens.

Lebron isn't just a HOFer. He is genuine contention for the GOAT. Lebron past his prime is still better than a number of HOFers in their prime.

Yes, I agree, but the difference is Lebron is the first Laker HOF'er who was on a physical decline and past 35 in year 17 of the league when he won a title with the Lakers being one of the main pieces in the Kobe/Magic/Jordan role. This doesn't happen unless you team him up with another in prime peaking HOF'er like AD. People whine about the assets given up. We salvaged what would have otherwise been a bad investment in Bron. I was lukewarm on us signing Bron around the young guys in 2018. I didn't see the timeline matching. However when they made the moves they eventually did, the timelines matched a bit. This wasn't like an aging Kareem where there was a young in prime Magic. Lebron was the old dude in this situation and needed that young HOF'er to come in and peak at the right time.

Now they are trying to get another ring out of what looks like a further declining Bron, and an AD that seems to be slowing down as well. The Westbrook move was for that. Nothing else, IMO. I know Kareem won rings past his prime, but role was not that of Kobe/Magic/Lebron. Kobe won his last ring at age 32. Magic won his last ring at age 28. Jordan won his last ring at age 34. None of those guys were in the league 17 years like Lebron was when he won a ring with LA. I think Jordan was in year 13. I credit the AD move (and some of the coaching moves we made) for that to happen. You needed that move to get a HOF level player in prime, who peaked at the right time, in AD, to get that title.

I understand that this Westbrook move has a good chance of not working out, but I also fail to see how not doing anything, and keeping the team in tact gives Bron/AD a second ring. Bron's play this year screams a declining 37 year old player (even if at this level he's still better than 90% of the league). As much as I miss some of the players that left this past summer (KCP, Caruso) I don't know if keeping them and adding a shooter is all Bron/AD needed. It certainly doesn't make me feel very good to watch Bron sit outside and shoot 3s long stretches of the game. Now add that AD looks like he's not the same AD of 2019-20. It's just even more obvious that a bunch of role players around those 2 was no longer enough.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:55 am    Post subject:

I think wolf makes some good points in the post above. And for those same reasons I also think we probably wind up trading THT at the deadline to try to squeeze one last bit of tooth paste out of the tube on Lebron.

If it doesn't work out, people will be second guessing him for the next few years, but similar to the moves made at the end of the Kobe era, I think you have to go for it.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:54 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
I understand that this Westbrook move has a good chance of not working out, but I also fail to see how not doing anything, and keeping the team in tact gives Bron/AD a second ring.

That's a fake choice. There were a number of options on the table. Buddy Hield was one option, though I was sort of lukewarm about it. DeRozan was an option, though it's not clear how far advanced the discussions had gotten. There were probably other options that we haven't even heard of, because no one leaked them to the media. There are pluses and minuses attached to every one of those options.

Instead, we made the Westbrook trade. It could still work out, but it was the most illogical of all the options that we were discussing. Westbrook was always going to be a difficult fit with Lebron, just like he was a difficult fit with Durant and Harden. He's a poor shooter from distance. He's a poor defender. This is why so many analysts looked at the trade and said "What the hell?"

Pelinka was obsessed with creating a big three, whether it made sense or not. This doesn't mean that it won't work out in the end, but it's going to require a lot of work by the big three. I know that people say that this was Lebron and Davis' idea. That may be true, but it's one more reason to remember that great players usually make terrible GMs. Ask Bill Russell, Isiah Thomas, and Magic.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:12 am    Post subject:

Quote:
There were a number of options on the table. Buddy Hield was one option, though I was sort of lukewarm about it.

What was the Hield trade package? It was KCP, Trez and the #22. I believe. According to this report it was Kuz or KCP on top of the Trez/#22. Call me crazy, but I think we did better with the Westbrook trade (even though that also added Kuz into the mix).

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10009021-lakers-trade-rumors-buddy-hield-deal-has-real-traction-kyle-kuzma-more-linked

Hield is a low impact player, IMO. Westbrook can have impact, but he comes with warts.

Quote:
There were a number of options on the table

A large portion of the argument is that last year's team was better, why fix something that's not broke etc etc. I think that argument is living in 2019. Lebron is in year 19. He's 37 in a few days. He's not going to stop shooting 3s and play mostly either post ups or jumpshots from outside. The reason why we're even using him at 5, I feel we want to give him some more advantages to drive. Still, even at the 5, he chooses to shoot from the outside. However because at the 5 the opposing big feels a little concerned about the drive, he gives Bron space so Bron has open shots from 3.

Anyway point is, while I agree there were other options. The one option I think we should all agree on is that we needed to get Lebron some more help on the perimeter. And 3 point shooting wasn't it.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject:

BTW, for all the talk of the Wizards. They're now 14-11. The last 25 games of the Westbrook era in the RS they were 17-8. After a hot start, they have cooled off. I still think they had a good offseason and did well in the WB trade since he wanted to be moved, but it's not like our former role guys are going to be filling and being elite 2nd/3rd options.

The one that really hurts is Caruso. We had his bird rights. We had the lux tax so I can't really dismiss the whole thing because it's not my money. But I wish we had found a way to keep an elite defensive guard like him. More than dealing all the players for WB, it's losing Caruso that stings a bit. Especially when I see Reaves play. So obvious that is the sort of player we do well with in Vogel's schemes.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
BTW, for all the talk of the Wizards. They're now 14-11. The last 25 games of the Westbrook era in the RS they were 17-7. After a hot start, they have cooled off. I still think they had a good offseason and did well in the WB trade since he wanted to be moved, but it's not like our former role guys are going to be filling and being elite 2nd/3rd options.

The one that really hurts is Caruso. We had his bird rights. We had the lux tax so I can't really dismiss the whole thing because it's not my money. But I wish we had found a way to keep an elite defensive guard like him. More than dealing all the players for WB, it's losing Caruso that stings a bit. Especially when I see Reaves play. So obvious that is the sort of player we do well with in Vogel's schemes.

They sure did. Beal has had an awful season so far and it's really started to affect the team's success.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Pelinka was obsessed with creating a big three,

I wouldn't quantify Dennis Schroder as a big 3, nor Buddy Hield. Hield is a 15 points a game guy on a contender. He comes off the bench for the Kings, a lottery team. He's a damn good volume 3 point shooter and can score, but I saw it as a replacement to what Kuzma was supposed to be for us 2 years ago. We've been looking for that consistent 3rd weapon.

As for the big 3, yes it got established when they traded for WB. No arguments. Also as everyone knows they wanted Kawhi. But it's been 2 years since the Kawhi failed pursuit. It's not like mid-season in 2019/20 he went out and traded for a 3rd star. In fact the opposite, he waited and signed a guy like Kieff. Also some vet guards like JR Smith.

I don't know if you want to call it an obsession for a big 3, as much as an obsession to make a move. He doesn't show enough patience and makes a lot of drastic changes. In this case it was for the big 3 but he also made a move last year for Trez/Dennis, and that had nothing to do with a big 3. That was to simply "improve" and help Bron/AD in a tough condensed season and a short turnaround. I saw an interview of his right after the title run, and the quick turnaround to move Danny Green for Dennis, let Dwight go for Trez. His answer was that he didn't want to stop trying to improve, just because they won. His understanding was that Kobe would keep trying to improve each summer. See, that's where maybe the inexperience comes into play. This is basketball management and roster scenario. Making changes and adding talent on paper doesn't always translate into fit and being best for the coach's needs. Hence we are where we are, today.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject:

^^^^

I was lukewarm about the Hield trade because I don't think Hield is anything special. If he was an average defender, I'd feel differently. But he isn't. He would have added three-point shooting, but nothing else. It was going to be Kuzma and Harrell, which was low price given that Harrell hadn't worked out. But really, the trade was sort of blah.

On the other hand, we would have retained KCP and would not have added $8M or so to the payroll. Assume for sake of discussion that all else stays the same, except that we use the $8M in payroll flexibility to match Caruso's offer from the Bulls. So basically, we have the current team minus Westbrook, but plus Hield, KCP, and Caruso. Westbrook is better than those guys on paper, but you can make a pretty good argument that the totality of the team would be better with Hield, KCP, and Caruso. It's a better fit and a better roster construction.

As I keep saying, I am not giving up on this season. Lebron, Davis, and Westbrook could figure it out and become an offensive juggernaut. But it seems clear that we went into this season without a plan other than "let the big three figure it out." Let's hope it works out.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
BTW, for all the talk of the Wizards. They're now 14-11. The last 25 games of the Westbrook era in the RS they were 17-8. After a hot start, they have cooled off. I still think they had a good offseason and did well in the WB trade since he wanted to be moved, but it's not like our former role guys are going to be filling and being elite 2nd/3rd options.

Reality check: The Wizards were 34-38 last season. Just has we've had a soft schedule on the front-end of this season, they had a soft schedule on the back-end of last season. I'm not the first person to make this point, but I keep seeing this cherry-picked stat tossed around.

The Wizards have overachieved this season and will probably end up around .500. From what I can tell, the Wizards are thrilled just to have gotten out from under the awful John Wall contract (which became the Westbrook contract). Good luck to them.
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject:

KCP, TREZ, KUZ are playing with 1 star. here Westbrick playing with 2.

Not only we absorbed his insane contract, we send them a 1st round pick
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject:

If Pelinka is known for anything it is for bidding against himself
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
If Pelinka is known for anything it is for bidding against himself

It's the "go for the home run every swing of the bat and they will forgive you for your inferior mechanics and your high strike-outs" syndrome. Few remember the "bidding against himself" part because ultimately Lebron and AD got together and won. I do think there's something to be said for that style, it generates a lot of buzz and excitement, keeps a franchise in the spotlight and fuels endless media frenzy - at least in the short/mid-term.
zambia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
I understand that this Westbrook move has a good chance of not working out, but I also fail to see how not doing anything, and keeping the team in tact gives Bron/AD a second ring.

That's a fake choice. There were a number of options on the table. Buddy Hield was one option, though I was sort of lukewarm about it. DeRozan was an option, though it's not clear how far advanced the discussions had gotten. There were probably other options that we haven't even heard of, because no one leaked them to the media. There are pluses and minuses attached to every one of those options.

Instead, we made the Westbrook trade. It could still work out, but it was the most illogical of all the options that we were discussing. Westbrook was always going to be a difficult fit with Lebron, just like he was a difficult fit with Durant and Harden. He's a poor shooter from distance. He's a poor defender. This is why so many analysts looked at the trade and said "What the hell?"

Pelinka was obsessed with creating a big three, whether it made sense or not. This doesn't mean that it won't work out in the end, but it's going to require a lot of work by the big three. I know that people say that this was Lebron and Davis' idea. That may be true, but it's one more reason to remember that great players usually make terrible GMs. Ask Bill Russell, Isiah Thomas, and Magic.

Magic was NEVER the GM, He hired Rob for that position.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

There's two conflicting thoughts here. Pelinka is obsessed with a Big 3, but it's a Lebron/AD idea?

I think you're closer to the truth on your latter idea. Decisions of this caliber are being driven by Klutch. I would assume Pelinka is presenting the possibilities and making sure his stars sign off on the move. It's certainly open for debate whether this is a good strategy or not, but I would say it's worked so far (this season's results TBD).

And I think you are correct about Hield. The lamenting over that lost "opportunity" is getting tired. The guy is a solid player and usually deadeye from 3, but he's taken an appreciable step back in all areas this season as a bench player for the Kings. It's completely up in the air how much worse (or better?) he would be performing this year under the bright lights of Los Angeles.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

There's two conflicting thoughts here. Pelinka is obsessed with a Big 3, but it's a Lebron/AD idea?

I think you're closer to the truth on your latter idea. Decisions of this caliber are being driven by Klutch. I would assume Pelinka is presenting the possibilities and making sure his stars sign off on the move. It's certainly open for debate whether this is a good strategy or not, but I would say it's worked so far (this season's results TBD).

And I think you are correct about Hield. The lamenting over that lost "opportunity" is getting tired. The guy is a solid player and usually deadeye from 3, but he's taken an appreciable step back in all areas this season as a bench player for the Kings. It's completely up in the air how much worse (or better?) he would be performing this year under the bright lights of Los Angeles.

Sure. There are various stories about how the Westbrook trade came about. One story is that Lebron and Davis talked to Westbrook about coming to LA about two weeks in advance, and Westbrook then asked for a trade. We may never know how the dynamics of the decision-making process really worked. In the end, though, Pelinka is the guy who had to make the final decision.

So you are right that there is an element of inconsistency in what I've said. Maybe it's unfair to say that Pelinka was obsessed with creating a big three. On the other hand, he'd been working toward that objective in the past with Paul George and then Kawhi. If the idea of trading for Westbrook originated with Lebron, it certainly looks like Pelinka was happy to jump on board.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Username wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Sure. There are various stories about how the Westbrook trade came about. One story is that Lebron and Davis talked to Westbrook about coming to LA about two weeks in advance, and Westbrook then asked for a trade. We may never know how the dynamics of the decision-making process really worked. In the end, though, Pelinka is the guy who had to make the final decision.

So you are right that there is an element of inconsistency in what I've said. Maybe it's unfair to say that Pelinka was obsessed with creating a big three. On the other hand, he'd been working toward that objective in the past with Paul George and then Kawhi. If the idea of trading for Westbrook originated with Lebron, it certainly looks like Pelinka was happy to jump on board.

I think we have to keep in mind the "big three" is a LeBron creation, dating back to Miami and again in Cleveland. He wants to be surrounded by multiple star players, especially now as he's at the tail end of his career. Pelinka I think did what he could do to facilitate that, keeping in mind how valuable the Klutch relationship is now (and for the future) of this franchise.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject:

roger_federer wrote:
Saying it for the past 2 years, Most overrated GM.

Got extremely lucky with Rondo, Dwight and Kieff in the 1st year. he thought that was his skill. It was not

What do you expect not being mentored for the position? Jerry West was mentored by Bill Sherman. Mitch was mentored by Jerry West. We could have brought in Jerry West to mentor Rob, but Jeanie objected not to. He went in green and still is. He is learning on the fly and it doesn't help that they won a championship because it says he is doing a good job, when in actuality, he isn't.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 161, 162, 163 ... 241, 242, 243  Next
Page 162 of 243
Jump to: