OFFICIAL ROB PELINKA THREAD.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 132, 133, 134 ... 241, 242, 243  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:07 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
I’d argue that with Rajon Rondo we would have had a healthy Anthony Davis.

This is what I mean hypothetical because in my mind, with the team last year, AD isn't over worked and doesn't get injured.

And then the reality sets in that if you thought the offense was bad this year, imagining it with Rondo and Dwight being counted on offensively rather than Schroeder and Harrell whom can be. That scoring load would have fallen even more on AD's shoulders. So yeah.. he'd probably have been overworked even more and our offense would have looked even worse.

So there's that too.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:23 am    Post subject:

I think last years team had undoubtedly better on court chemistry, but last years team without AD and Bron would have been just as ugly if not worse....it's not like AD got injured because he was logging huge minutes at the 5 when it happened...and LeBrons injury was a fluke
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:32 am    Post subject:

Rob made some mistakes last off season. Even felt so at the time and said some of it, but did not want to make a big deal out of it as the Lakers just won a ring.

One, when you break up a group of great chemistry guys, who win a ring, you need to ensure the new guys coming in know their role and buy in. With Dennis, for sure, this was not the case. Dennis was brought in to replace Rondo off the bench, and to be be an elite 6th man. Maybe Rob will never admit that, but there have been articles about it all over. Then, Dennis completely rebels against that idea and wants to start. The Lakers cater to his needs. Mistake #1. You trade for a guy in a contract year and who you have not really discussed his role with. It seems they themselves were not sure if starting him was the right thing to do. But when I read articles now come out that the Lakers catered to Dennis wishes, it really saddens me that a championship team would do that for a good role player. He is an elite 6th man, but an average starter.

Two, when they went for Trez, it went against their identity of playing big. They went for scoring which is fine, but all playoffs, if you watched Vogel schemes, he went for size and floor spacing over interior scoring. AD at the 5, or Dwight at the 5, or Kieff at the 5 during the ring run. You let Dwight go, a guy that was huge defensively. How useful would Dwight have been on those screen and rolls against Ayton - invaluable.

So to me, Rob made some significant mistakes, but they are not huge mistakes because without AD-Bron health, we were likely losing before the championship was won. I think we did lose way too early, and with the right role guys could have done better even with the injuries. However in the big picture it did not cost us a championship as ADs health (and Brons) was going to never allow a ring run this year.

This is a key offseason for Rob. Has he learned from these mistakes of Dennis-Trez, or will he just believe what he tells the media, that he would like to run it back. I do not think running it back at all is a good idea.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:03 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Rob made some mistakes last off season. Even felt so at the time and said some of it, but did not want to make a big deal out of it as the Lakers just won a ring.

One, when you break up a group of great chemistry guys, who win a ring, you need to ensure the new guys coming in know their role and buy in. With Dennis, for sure, this was not the case. Dennis was brought in to replace Rondo off the bench, and to be be an elite 6th man. Maybe Rob will never admit that, but there have been articles about it all over. Then, Dennis completely rebels against that idea and wants to start. The Lakers cater to his needs. Mistake #1. You trade for a guy in a contract year and who you have not really discussed his role with. It seems they themselves were not sure if starting him was the right thing to do. But when I read articles now come out that the Lakers catered to Dennis wishes, it really saddens me that a championship team would do that for a good role player. He is an elite 6th man, but an average starter.

Two, when they went for Trez, it went against their identity of playing big. They went for scoring which is fine, but all playoffs, if you watched Vogel schemes, he went for size and floor spacing over interior scoring. AD at the 5, or Dwight at the 5, or Kieff at the 5 during the ring run. You let Dwight go, a guy that was huge defensively. How useful would Dwight have been on those screen and rolls against Ayton - invaluable.

So to me, Rob made some significant mistakes, but they are not huge mistakes because without AD-Bron health, we were likely losing before the championship was won. I think we did lose way too early, and with the right role guys could have done better even with the injuries. However in the big picture it did not cost us a championship as ADs health (and Brons) was going to never allow a ring run this year.

This is a key offseason for Rob. Has he learned from these mistakes of Dennis-Trez, or will he just believe what he tells the media, that he would like to run it back. I do not think running it back at all is a good idea.

Couldn't agree more....He undervalued the chemistry of the team...the only move I agreed with was trading Green for Schroder...He should have brought back Dwight and he could have waited trading McGee if Dwight and McGee were redundant....There was absolutely no reason to sign Trez.....there was no need for him. Huge mistake...and additionally there was no reason to sign Gasol...the front line was set with Bron, AD, Dwight and McGee...The MLE should've been spent on a shooter. The Matthews signing was also ridiculous. Mo Harkless could have been had for the same price.

I hope Rob learned from his mistakes and dedicates his moves to younger players. No more Matthews, Gasol, Green type players...Bron be damned if that's what he wants. Focus on guys 31 and under....athletic, long that can get up and down. Hopefully Trez opts out if not trade him....Besides Bron and AD no one else should be safe....and with these rumors circulating about Lillard being unhappy I would pursue trading AD for him...a package of AD and Kuz for Dame and Nurkic....I know AD is Klutch and Bron's boy so it'll never happen. Point is major changes should happen.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject:

Did I just read “Bron be damned” if he doesn’t like it?

This team has made that decision already. It is James’ team. First r better or worse. The marketing of the player’s final years and his lifetime achievements has become more important then being competitive.

Lakers will make every move with James’ blessing even if it is conflicting with Laker long term interests. I have accepted this path.

Winning the ring was glorious, but solidified this path to the bitter end. Only hope is James “ when healthy” can be a quality player and adjusts to his aging gracefully.

Lakers will do anything possible to keep James happy. Arguably as they should.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:29 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:

This team has made that decision already. It is James’ team. First r better or worse. The marketing of the player’s final years and his lifetime achievements has become more important then being competitive.

Lakers will make every move with James’ blessing even if it is conflicting with Laker long term interests. I have accepted this path.

Winning the ring was glorious, but solidified this path to the bitter end. Only hope is James “ when healthy” can be a quality player and adjusts to his aging gracefully.

there really isnt a long term plan with Bron on the team. we have to maximize his window. We just need to elevate talent level around him.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:58 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

This is what I mean hypothetical because in my mind, with the team last year, AD isn't over worked and doesn't get injured.

And then the reality sets in that if you thought the offense was bad this year, imagining it with Rondo and Dwight being counted on offensively rather than Schroeder and Harrell whom can be. That scoring load would have fallen even more on AD's shoulders. So yeah.. he'd probably have been overworked even more and our offense would have looked even worse.

So there's that too.

I don't agree, simply because we have las year as a sample size. AD wasn't overworked. I think a lot of times we get too bent on individual talent rather than talent that fits. A proper fit will make life a lot easier for a team and the stars on that team. Rondo fits better with AD than Schroder. Rondo makes life easier for AD by creating better opportunities for him. Dwight is a better fit than Harrell. Dwight takes defensive load off of AD. Defensively, Dwight creates more opportunities for the team. Collectively, Rondo and Dwight are better fit along side AD than Schroder and Harrell.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
MJST wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

So there's that too.

I don't agree, simply because we have las year as a sample size. AD wasn't overworked. I think a lot of times we get too bent on individual talent rather than talent that fits. A proper fit will make life a lot easier for a team and the stars on that team. Rondo fits better with AD than Schroder. Rondo makes life easier for AD by creating better opportunities for him. Dwight is a better fit than Harrell. Dwight takes defensive load off of AD. Defensively, Dwight creates more opportunities for the team. Collectively, Rondo and Dwight are better fit along side AD than Schroder and Harrell.

The long layoff was far more beneficial to ad than rondo. Yes they had chemistry but without a break rondo wouldnt have gotten that many minutes.

replace rondo this year with DS and we wouldnt be in the playoffs.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject:

We're stating to see Bron's demise...say it was the injuries or whatever but he will be 37 in December so if there's a choice to bring in a young talent over an old vet Rob has to do it. Bron wanted Crowder, Rose and Wade in Cleveland..what happened? And now he's way older...so yes...you tell Bron we understand your choices but we'll get someone similar but younger. Prime example Harkless over Matthews. Maybe my Bron be damned was too harsh...you diplomatically tell him the goal is to get players of need that are younger.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
MJST wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

So there's that too.

The long layoff was far more beneficial to ad than rondo. Yes they had chemistry but without a break rondo wouldnt have gotten that many minutes.

replace rondo this year with DS and we wouldnt be in the playoffs.

I don't wanna get into hypotheticals, but 1 thing is for sure that there is proof of is that Rondo helped us win a championship and Schroder helped us lose in the 1st round.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:08 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:

We're stating to see Bron's demise...say it was the injuries or whatever but he will be 37 in December so if there's a choice to bring in a young talent over an old vet Rob has to do it. Bron wanted Crowder, Rose and Wade in Cleveland..what happened? And now he's way older...so yes...you tell Bron we understand your choices but we'll get someone similar but younger. Prime example Harkless over Matthews. Maybe my Bron be damned was too harsh...you diplomatically tell him the goal is to get players of need that are younger.

This is the problem with Rob, he's not gonna do what's best for sustainable success for the Lakers. Seeming like the reason he through away last year's championship squad after winning their 1st ring to try and rebuild another one + other questionable moves that were made. Having a good relationship with your stars is important, but this is why he is the GM and Bron is the player. Bron isn't the best in evaluating who is best fit for the team and it shouldn't be Bron's job to do Rob's job. Also, too many times people can overthink moves with too many minds to look over them. That's when you start questioning yourself and become reliant.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject:

I can’t really blame Rob.

Most of what he does makes sense. He’s a facilitator for Klutch.

If you want to blame this season on the changes...it’s on LBJ/Klutch.

I would have made the same moves, just can’t project whether every player is a Laker until you see them in the environment. Schroder and Harrell failed, now they can go be ME guys on a non-contending franchise.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

I would have made the same moves, just can’t project whether every player is a Laker until you see them in the environment. Schroder and Harrell failed, now they can go be ME guys on a non-contending franchise.

You really think Schroder failed? Ill give you he had an atrocious game 5 but other than that he was our 3rd best player. I don't think he's worth $21 million but if he can be had for 16-18 would you do it? I've just given up on Kuz and KCP and would definitely look to trade them......and definitely would not bring back Trez, Wes, Gasol, Kief, Dudley and McKinnie and possibly Drummond unless he accepts $6 million a year which he wont.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

You really think Schroder failed? Ill give you he had an atrocious game 5 but other than that he was our 3rd best player. I don't think he's worth $21 million but if he can be had for 16-18 would you do it? I've just given up on Kuz and KCP and would definitely look to trade them......and definitely would not bring back Trez, Wes, Gasol, Kief, Dudley and McKinnie and possibly Drummond unless he accepts $6 million a year which he wont.

Yes. He did fail imo.

This is a different stage. He came to the Lakers wanting the starting job to prove that he is a top PG and demonstrate he is a $100M player or $20M+ player however you want to look at it.

He doesn’t see the floor well, is a turnover machine and he can be nonchalant and lazy on defense. AC had to save his ass in that play in game as Curry kept taking advantage of Schroder’s nonchalant approach.

That’s just on the court. Off the court, he was a selfish me me guy all season long and was irresponsible to his teammates.

He’s an NBA player, but verdict is in...not a Laker. There is a difference, as the great Kobe Bryant explained once upon a time.

If I was a GM, I would hesitate to give him anything over 15M. 18M and above and you start getting into a situation where you have to dump assets just to get rid of his contract if it continues not to work out.

Best bet is someone wants him, Lakers S&T and we move on. We will see how it goes.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject:

All I want are players that can make baskets. We can still rely on an aging Lebron, but we can't be assured that AD will stay healthy. AD, technically, should be a 3rd option, so that if/when he gets injured, we don't miss that much.

What we need is a competent 3rd scorer, and we need someone like THT and Drummond to step up their scoring to that 15-20 ppg range. Then, we don't have to worry about AD getting injured and destroying our season.

Unfortunately, we are chained to AD being our 2nd option, and thus we are chained to the likely hood that he will get injured yet again. That, right there, sets up a losing premise. 2020 was likely an anomaly for AD in regards to his being healthy and sharp for the bulk of the season. Regretfully, it tied Laker Nation to whatever fate his health leads us, which is not a good thing.
LGFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

nonchalant Drummond should not be on this team unless its Vet Minimum
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject:

Rob should find a real GM who knows how to construct a team. we don't have the tradeable assets nor the cap space to fill the holes.

who in the world with any common sense signs DS and TREZ as the biggest signings when you already have AD/LBJ who pretty much lives in the paint. THT lives in the paint.

For all the holes he created, LBJ/AD's injuries have become nice things to put the blame on and move on. Let us be real even with 100% AD and LBJ we are not winning this year. our shooting sucks.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject:

roger_federer wrote:
Rob should find a real GM who knows how to construct a team. we don't have the tradeable assets nor the cap space to fill the holes.

who in the world with any common sense signs DS and TREZ as the biggest signings when you already have AD/LBJ who pretty much lives in the paint. THT lives in the paint.

For all the holes he created, LBJ/AD's injuries have become nice things to put the blame on and move on. Let us be real even with 100% AD and LBJ we are not winning this year. our shooting sucks.

You're a troll. F-off dude.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject:

roger_federer wrote:

Nice things? It's the major reason we are P&M...injuries. With a flawed lineup but AD, we were up 2-1 with momentum shifted to us. Without AD? We went 0-3.
AirTupac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Can we vote ban this kid?
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
King Randle wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Yes. He did fail imo.

This is a different stage. He came to the Lakers wanting the starting job to prove that he is a top PG and demonstrate he is a $100M player or $20M+ player however you want to look at it.

He doesn’t see the floor well, is a turnover machine and he can be nonchalant and lazy on defense. AC had to save his ass in that play in game as Curry kept taking advantage of Schroder’s nonchalant approach.

That’s just on the court. Off the court, he was a selfish me me guy all season long and was irresponsible to his teammates.

He’s an NBA player, but verdict is in...not a Laker. There is a difference, as the great Kobe Bryant explained once upon a time.

If I was a GM, I would hesitate to give him anything over 15M. 18M and above and you start getting into a situation where you have to dump assets just to get rid of his contract if it continues not to work out.

Best bet is someone wants him, Lakers S&T and we move on. We will see how it goes.

This.

I can’t fathom a scenario where we gonna have to overpay him and start him again as his demand for his resigning. I rather not have the Lakers put themselves in that predicament. Can’t really believed we have a level of tolerance for this ROLE PLAYER. I remember Glen Rice wifey shenanigans , got rid of him. Same with NVE back in the day and we ended addition by subtraction at the end of the day. And these guys were better. His contract is an asset for sure and if we can execute a sign and trade in his favor then get it done. We accommodate this ROLE PLAYER for the whole year, time for him to give us that satisfaction. If he refused then GOOD RIDDANCE. We have THT that can play the role best suited for him anyway.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
King Randle wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Yes. He did fail imo.

This.

I can’t fathom a scenario where we gonna have to overpay him and start him again as his demand for his resigning. I rather not have the Lakers put themselves in that predicament. Can’t really believed we have a level of tolerance for this ROLE PLAYER. I remember Glen Rice wifey shenanigans , got rid of him. Same with NVE back in the day and we ended addition by subtraction at the end of the day. And these guys were better. His contract is an asset for sure and if we can execute a sign and trade in his favor then get it done. We accommodate this ROLE PLAYER for the whole year, time for him to give us that satisfaction. If he refused then GOOD RIDDANCE. We have THT that can play the role best suited for him anyway.

Perfect comparison ... Glen Rice. Totally forgot about that fiasco. DS isn't worth the trouble.

Would love to facilitate a S&T. If Toronto truly has interest or Chicago, those teams have good assets.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Our best bet imo is if Donovan wants Schroder in Chicago...then all parties can talk since Lakers have his bird rights.

Bam. Done. Moving on
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Our best bet imo is Donovan wants Schroder in Chicago...then all parties can talk since Lakers have his bird rights.

Bam. Done. Moving on

I'm down. What is the trade?

It would have to likely be something around Thad Young, Satoransky and/or Aminu. Vucevic/Lavine unlikely. Not likely to move the needle per se but better than nothing.

See how I'm not really attached to Dennis the player, but the asset?
Reds622
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Our best bet imo is if Donovan wants Schroder in Chicago...then all parties can talk since Lakers have his bird rights.

Bam. Done. Moving on

Well... THT is also from Chicago.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 132, 133, 134 ... 241, 242, 243  Next
Page 133 of 243
Jump to: