OFFICIAL ROB PELINKA THREAD.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 156, 157, 158, 159  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 25785

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
Someone please tell me if this is true: if it wasn't for Westbrook trade, we could have Derozan or Buddy Hield, to go along with KCP and AC (resigning)? Is this wrong?


V+ provided the explanation. I edited your question to fix it. Note that Harrell was part of the Hield trade and probably would have been part of a sign and trade for DeRozan (if that was ever a real possibility).
_________________
Internet Argument Resolved
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Laker_Jocker
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 Jul 2004
Posts: 2105

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
After Kobe passed away, Rob made an important move in getting Kieff. If anything, Kobe passing motivated them to work harder and go for it even more. In fact, when Rob traded for Dennis (Danny going out, a core guy from the title run). He was asked why so many changes to a ring team .... He said he wanted to have that mentality Kobe had. Every offseason get better. He knew the team won the title, but he wanted to keep making them more talented.

I understand many view Rob as being pretty bad at his job, but you can clearly see he views Bron/AD as untouchables/cornerstone pieces, and his job is to stack the deck with talent around them. After a title run he gave them the two best bench players in the NBA - Trez/Dennis. Then, he gave them a 3rd all-star in WB this year. Both of these moves look bad at the moment, but the health of the team also played a big part in these failures. Have we had the fortune of that first season of AD/Bron in terms of health? Can anyone outline to me when either last year's team or this year's team has actually had a 2-3 month period where both AD and Bron are at their best? It's just been a complete disaster health wise since the title run for the big 2. Now, that may just be their bodies breaking down. So Rob needs to plan for that.

Grateful we at least kept THT, signed Nunn. At some point, I am open to moving WB by trade deadline for a wing player that can start next to AD/Bron and building the backcourt around THT/Nunn. Still not at that point today, but I am sure Rob sees that potential moving forward. I wonder if there's a bad bloated contracted wing player out there who we could move for WB. Like a team that doesn't want their wing player and has a massive contract, but needs a guard. And we the oppposite, we have enough at guard (If Nunn shows he can start with THT) and we could use the guard. I know, Simmons. That's not happening without THT. Yes I would do Simmons for WB in a second, but Philly won't IMO. It will cost many picks that we don't have, or THT.


I happen to be of the crowd that thinks Rob has done OK in general with what was available. The jury has always been out on the more stars = better team philosophy but I can understand going that route since the Lakers have always tried to capture stars when available.

However, I am critical along the lines of comment above in bold (which I think he truly believes, btw). RP apparently threw that philosophy out the window by settling (unless there are other moves coming) for guys like WB, Baze, Ellington and DJ. All of these players have shown the exact opposite of Kobe's drive and determination to win and/or get better in areas where they lack. I think Nunn and Monk might have it so I'll guess RP gets a pass on those guys for now...but I'll also add letting Caruso get away as another example of not following his own philosophy.

On WB, while I understand the move tactically, the main issue is not because he is not good player, but because I (and I think the majority of his opponents) perceive that he couldn't care less about winning EVERY game like Kobe did. WB is not that "Don't disrespect my game or I'll drop 50 on you" type of guy. In my mind, that makes him lesser of determining factor come playoff time. Lakers don't need more guys to stand around and watch LBJ carry them. Further, I have not seen much evidence that he has ever worked to fix/mask the clear flaws in how he plays that prevent him from leading a team to a championship. I guess overall, I just get the feeling that winning isn't that important to him whereas with Kobe, he not only wanted to win but be decisive in do so (i.e A Championship or Bust mentality).

Lastly, I think its already becoming clear that RP does deserve some props for sticking to his guns on THT. That guy seems to have the "want to" to win every game and seems like he works hard to get better all the time - much like the Kobe mentality that RP appears to value....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
scout_0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 22 Oct 2020
Posts: 699

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject:

I like what pelinka did this summer.

This team without another creator would of been like a fish without water. I wanted Hield badly but we needed WB more. The perfect situation would of been both here.


In reality you can't complain about the roster he put together. We are missing our 2 best ball handlers / creators in Nunn who was a legit starter for the heat and Bron. We are also missing some of the things ariza can bring. I wish we went after otto instead of ariza but otto probably wanted to be in gsw.

Take into account Vogel's inability to be creative and I think he did a great job.

Westbrook is a workhorse that can keep LeBron and Davis fresh until the 4th comes around. If vogel figures it out and starts having the ball move more and bodies we will see a completely different team where all our weapons can be deployed at the same time but only our offensive system can unlock that.

Limit westbrook's FG's, give him the ball in places where he has easy decisions to make and to attack quick, have him cut more, set "Nash" screens etc... we will be fine but vogel has to do his part
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 11 Feb 2015
Posts: 5191

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Someone please tell me if this is true: if it wasn't for Westbrook trade, we could have Derozan or Buddy Hield, to go along with KCP and AC (resigning)? Is this wrong?


V+ provided the explanation. I edited your question to fix it. Note that Harrell was part of the Hield trade and probably would have been part of a sign and trade for DeRozan (if that was ever a real possibility).


Thank you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
2019
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 03 Dec 2014
Posts: 8972

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject:

scout_0 wrote:
I like what pelinka did this summer.

This team without another creator would of been like a fish without water. I wanted Hield badly but we needed WB more. The perfect situation would of been both here.


In reality you can't complain about the roster he put together. We are missing our 2 best ball handlers / creators in Nunn who was a legit starter for the heat and Bron. We are also missing some of the things ariza can bring. I wish we went after otto instead of ariza but otto probably wanted to be in gsw.

Take into account Vogel's inability to be creative and I think he did a great job.

Westbrook is a workhorse that can keep LeBron and Davis fresh until the 4th comes around. If vogel figures it out and starts having the ball move more and bodies we will see a completely different team where all our weapons can be deployed at the same time but only our offensive system can unlock that.

Limit westbrook's FG's, give him the ball in places where he has easy decisions to make and to attack quick, have him cut more, set "Nash" screens etc... we will be fine but vogel has to do his part


Limit Westbrook's FG's? Come playoff time teams are literally going to not defend him a smidge and instead send hard doubles at AD and LeBron. They'll also attack him on D where his defensive IQ and ball watching let's him in all kinds of trouble.

It'll get better til it doesn't. Then it ugly when we're essentially playing 4 on 5 in May.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 32487

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject:

scout_0 wrote:
In reality you can't complain about the roster he put together.


15,000 posts on LG would beg to disagree
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 32487

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Jocker wrote:
I happen to be of the crowd that thinks Rob has done OK in general with what was available.


I am in the crowd that never understood why we shook up the championship team, in an apparent attempt to add offense at the expense of defenses. I never understood the desire for Westbrook. Once we traded for him, I think Rob did an OK job surrounding the big three with a decent roster of guys available for the vet's minimum.

It feels like the last couple of years have been change for the sake of change (or change for the sake of getting names) rather than change with a strong strategic purpose in mind.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 30 Jul 2005
Posts: 17062

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Someone please tell me if this is true: if it wasn't for Westbrook trade, we would have Derozan and Buddy Hield, to go along with KCP, Trez, AC (resigning)? Is this wrong?


It’s wrong at DeRozan & Buddy’s price points (26m & 25.6m via “unlikely” incentives converting to “likely” respectively).

Fact is, DD can only come here via the fMLE (9.5m) or via a S&t at his 20mish price point…either option hard caps us at 143m. We would be unable to breach that figure in total team salary.

Kuz/Trez/#22 were necessary in trading for Hield

Quote:
Multiple reports have indicated that the Lakers are interested in a deal for Buddy, and with fewer than 24 hours until the 2021 draft, multiple league sources say Los Angeles has stepped up its efforts by adding the no. 22 pick to a deal that’d include Montrezl Harrell and Kyle Kuzma or Kentavious Caldwell-Pope.


Let’s assume Kcp/Marc/McKinnie/our 2027 1st/multiple future 2nds were involved to bring in DeRozan via a S&t to get him on a 22m deal, then our books look like:

Bron 41.2m
AD 35.4m
DeRozan 22m (S&t via Spurs triggers hard cap)
Buddy 25.6m (hardcap math mandates all likely/unlikely incentives apply)
THT 9.5m
AC 8.6m (let’s assume Lakers match Bulls offer)
Deng cap hit 5m
= 147.3m (clearly in violation of breaching 143m cap apron)

So if DeRozan & Buddy were to be part of this equation, there us nothing you can do about Buddy’s current incentive laden deal, so his 25.6m cap hit along with Bron, AD and Deng’s cap hit remain unamendable. Those 4 cap hits come out to 107.2m, so with 3 active players on the roster, we would have to round out the roster to at least 14 players all while keeping DeRozan, THT and AC happy on haircut deals close enough to their price point with roughly only 35.8m in potential salary wiggle to work with before hitting the cap apron as a hardcapped team. You need to earmark at least 13.4m to have 8 vet min deals. So with DeRozan/THT/AC, you only have 22.4m in potential salary to divvy amongst them.


LeBron 41.2
AD 35.4
DeRozan 22
THT 9.5
Caruso 8.6
Deng 5

Reaves 1
8 Vet Mins-12.6
Total 135.5M Plenty of room under hard cap to use the tax payer MLE also. For some reason I was under the impression any sign and trade would have cost us THT/Caruso again.

Regardless I'm taking the combination of Buddy Hield/KCP/Alex Caruso over the big names DeRozan/Westbrook especially with the emergence of THT.
_________________
"He's a Zen master, so he can speak to you, and he doesn't need a microphone; you can hear him in your head, 'Ron, don't shoot, don't shoot.' Whatever, pow, three. I love the Zen, though."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Laker_Jocker
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 Jul 2004
Posts: 2105

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Laker_Jocker wrote:
I happen to be of the crowd that thinks Rob has done OK in general with what was available.


I am in the crowd that never understood why we shook up the championship team, in an apparent attempt to add offense at the expense of defenses. I never understood the desire for Westbrook. Once we traded for him, I think Rob did an OK job surrounding the big three with a decent roster of guys available for the vet's minimum.

It feels like the last couple of years have been change for the sake of change (or change for the sake of getting names) rather than change with a strong strategic purpose in mind.


Agreed and especially in the wanting WB. I have no idea the strategy in this roster compilation. What type of team is it, Rob? The championship roster was all about defense and it worked, this one, not so much....Sort of Lebron centric but one dimensional shooters who are all little. Not young enough to play fast tempo the whole game especially in their transition D. Not big/skilled enough to play half court (i.e. dribble drive, penetrate and kick, rebound, killer D).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 08 Jan 2013
Posts: 7651

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Someone please tell me if this is true: if it wasn't for Westbrook trade, we would have Derozan and Buddy Hield, to go along with KCP, Trez, AC (resigning)? Is this wrong?


It’s wrong at DeRozan & Buddy’s price points (26m & 25.6m via “unlikely” incentives converting to “likely” respectively).

Fact is, DD can only come here via the fMLE (9.5m) or via a S&t at his 20mish price point…either option hard caps us at 143m. We would be unable to breach that figure in total team salary.

Kuz/Trez/#22 were necessary in trading for Hield

Quote:
Multiple reports have indicated that the Lakers are interested in a deal for Buddy, and with fewer than 24 hours until the 2021 draft, multiple league sources say Los Angeles has stepped up its efforts by adding the no. 22 pick to a deal that’d include Montrezl Harrell and Kyle Kuzma or Kentavious Caldwell-Pope.


Let’s assume Kcp/Marc/McKinnie/our 2027 1st/multiple future 2nds were involved to bring in DeRozan via a S&t to get him on a 22m deal, then our books look like:

Bron 41.2m
AD 35.4m
DeRozan 22m (S&t via Spurs triggers hard cap)
Buddy 25.6m (hardcap math mandates all likely/unlikely incentives apply)
THT 9.5m
AC 8.6m (let’s assume Lakers match Bulls offer)
Deng cap hit 5m
= 147.3m (clearly in violation of breaching 143m cap apron)

So if DeRozan & Buddy were to be part of this equation, there us nothing you can do about Buddy’s current incentive laden deal, so his 25.6m cap hit along with Bron, AD and Deng’s cap hit remain unamendable. Those 4 cap hits come out to 107.2m, so with 3 active players on the roster, we would have to round out the roster to at least 14 players all while keeping DeRozan, THT and AC happy on haircut deals close enough to their price point with roughly only 35.8m in potential salary wiggle to work with before hitting the cap apron as a hardcapped team. You need to earmark at least 13.4m to have 8 vet min deals. So with DeRozan/THT/AC, you only have 22.4m in potential salary to divvy amongst them.


LeBron 41.2
AD 35.4
DeRozan 22
THT 9.5
Caruso 8.6
Deng 5

Reaves 1
8 Vet Mins-12.6
Total 135.5M Plenty of room under hard cap to use the tax payer MLE also. For some reason I was under the impression any sign and trade would have cost us THT/Caruso again.

Regardless I'm taking the combination of Buddy Hield/KCP/Alex Caruso over the big names DeRozan/Westbrook especially with the emergence of THT.



Here is the applicable section in the CBA FAQ about a sign & trade and the hard cap.

20. Other than financial penalties, are there restrictions on taxpaying teams? What is the "Apron?" What is the hard cap?

Quote:

Teams with a team salary above the Apron have the following additional restrictions. Note that they use the team salary at the conclusion of any transaction to determine whether a team is over the Apron (for example in a sign-and-trade transaction, they look at what the team salary would be after the trade is completed).

    Teams above the Apron cannot use the Bi-Annual exception (see question number 25).

    Teams above the Apron have a smaller Mid-Level exception (see question number 25). It can be used to offer a mid-level contract no longer than three years, while other teams can offer four. The starting salary is also lower.

    Teams cannot receive a player in a sign-and-trade transaction (see question number 92). Note that they calculate whether the team is over or under the Apron after the full sign-and-trade transaction, and not just the signing.

    Teams above the Apron do not have the same protections under the Gilbert Arenas provision (see question number 43). Under the Arenas provision other teams can offer restricted free agents salaries starting up to the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception. If a team with the right of first refusal does not have Early Bird rights to the player and is over the Apron, it will have only the smaller Taxpayer Mid-Level exception at its disposal, and cannot match an offer for the full Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception.


The transactions listed above are reserved for teams that are below the Apron. This applies to the entire season in which one of these exceptions is used -- for example, if a team is below the Apron and utilizes its Bi-Annual exception, it commits itself to remaining below the Apron for the remainder of that season (through the following June 30).

In other words, when a team is below the Apron and uses its Bi-Annual exception, receives a player who is signed-and-traded, or uses its Mid-Level exception to sign a player to a contract larger than allowed by the Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, the team becomes hard-capped at the Apron for the remainder of that season. This eliminates any potential loophole where a team could first use one of these exceptions and subsequently add salary to go above the Apron, since the reverse -- adding salary first and then using the exception -- would be illegal.

If a team is hard-capped, it cannot exceed the Apron under any circumstance. If the team subsequently needs to sign a player (for example, to replace injured players) it must first create room under the Apron by waiving player(s) with non-guaranteed salary, waiving player(s) with guaranteed salary and utilizing the stretch provision, trading downward in salary, etc2. A team that is hard-capped can utilize Summer Contracts (see question number 70) to sign players for training camp, but must waive them in time to clear waivers before the start of the regular season, if necessary to stay below the hard cap. A team subject to the hard cap can also sign players to Rest-of-Season contracts during the season, as long as the salary pro-ration keeps the team below the Apron.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief


Joined: 07 Sep 2001
Posts: 38798
Location: O.C.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Laker_Jocker wrote:
I happen to be of the crowd that thinks Rob has done OK in general with what was available.


I am in the crowd that never understood why we shook up the championship team, in an apparent attempt to add offense at the expense of defenses. I never understood the desire for Westbrook. Once we traded for him, I think Rob did an OK job surrounding the big three with a decent roster of guys available for the vet's minimum.

It feels like the last couple of years have been change for the sake of change (or change for the sake of getting names) rather than change with a strong strategic purpose in mind.


I remember Mark Cuban kind of going through this process as a young owner. He didn't get over the top until he slowed down the trade action and let guys settling into building chemistry.

We do, however, have the ultimate cheat code player to push a team over the top in LeBron. There's no need to "learn how to win" or build the "killer instinct" or "take the next step" with him on the floor. You kind of already have that built in to the team DNA, so I think change could be survivable. Certainly not easy on young guys or a coach, though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 Dec 2019
Posts: 2440

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Someone please tell me if this is true: if it wasn't for Westbrook trade, we would have Derozan and Buddy Hield, to go along with KCP, Trez, AC (resigning)? Is this wrong?


It’s wrong at DeRozan & Buddy’s price points (26m & 25.6m via “unlikely” incentives converting to “likely” respectively).

Fact is, DD can only come here via the fMLE (9.5m) or via a S&t at his 20mish price point…either option hard caps us at 143m. We would be unable to breach that figure in total team salary.

Kuz/Trez/#22 were necessary in trading for Hield

Quote:
Multiple reports have indicated that the Lakers are interested in a deal for Buddy, and with fewer than 24 hours until the 2021 draft, multiple league sources say Los Angeles has stepped up its efforts by adding the no. 22 pick to a deal that’d include Montrezl Harrell and Kyle Kuzma or Kentavious Caldwell-Pope.


Let’s assume Kcp/Marc/McKinnie/our 2027 1st/multiple future 2nds were involved to bring in DeRozan via a S&t to get him on a 22m deal, then our books look like:

Bron 41.2m
AD 35.4m
DeRozan 22m (S&t via Spurs triggers hard cap)
Buddy 25.6m (hardcap math mandates all likely/unlikely incentives apply)
THT 9.5m
AC 8.6m (let’s assume Lakers match Bulls offer)
Deng cap hit 5m
= 147.3m (clearly in violation of breaching 143m cap apron)

So if DeRozan & Buddy were to be part of this equation, there us nothing you can do about Buddy’s current incentive laden deal, so his 25.6m cap hit along with Bron, AD and Deng’s cap hit remain unamendable. Those 4 cap hits come out to 107.2m, so with 3 active players on the roster, we would have to round out the roster to at least 14 players all while keeping DeRozan, THT and AC happy on haircut deals close enough to their price point with roughly only 35.8m in potential salary wiggle to work with before hitting the cap apron as a hardcapped team. You need to earmark at least 13.4m to have 8 vet min deals. So with DeRozan/THT/AC, you only have 22.4m in potential salary to divvy amongst them.


LeBron 41.2
AD 35.4
DeRozan 22
THT 9.5
Caruso 8.6
Deng 5

Reaves 1
8 Vet Mins-12.6
Total 135.5M Plenty of room under hard cap to use the tax payer MLE also. For some reason I was under the impression any sign and trade would have cost us THT/Caruso again.

Regardless I'm taking the combination of Buddy Hield/KCP/Alex Caruso over the big names DeRozan/Westbrook especially with the emergence of THT.



Here is the applicable section in the CBA FAQ about a sign & trade and the hard cap.

20. Other than financial penalties, are there restrictions on taxpaying teams? What is the "Apron?" What is the hard cap?

Quote:

Teams with a team salary above the Apron have the following additional restrictions. Note that they use the team salary at the conclusion of any transaction to determine whether a team is over the Apron (for example in a sign-and-trade transaction, they look at what the team salary would be after the trade is completed).

    Teams above the Apron cannot use the Bi-Annual exception (see question number 25).

    Teams above the Apron have a smaller Mid-Level exception (see question number 25). It can be used to offer a mid-level contract no longer than three years, while other teams can offer four. The starting salary is also lower.

    Teams cannot receive a player in a sign-and-trade transaction (see question number 92). Note that they calculate whether the team is over or under the Apron after the full sign-and-trade transaction, and not just the signing.

    Teams above the Apron do not have the same protections under the Gilbert Arenas provision (see question number 43). Under the Arenas provision other teams can offer restricted free agents salaries starting up to the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception. If a team with the right of first refusal does not have Early Bird rights to the player and is over the Apron, it will have only the smaller Taxpayer Mid-Level exception at its disposal, and cannot match an offer for the full Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception.


The transactions listed above are reserved for teams that are below the Apron. This applies to the entire season in which one of these exceptions is used -- for example, if a team is below the Apron and utilizes its Bi-Annual exception, it commits itself to remaining below the Apron for the remainder of that season (through the following June 30).

In other words, when a team is below the Apron and uses its Bi-Annual exception, receives a player who is signed-and-traded, or uses its Mid-Level exception to sign a player to a contract larger than allowed by the Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, the team becomes hard-capped at the Apron for the remainder of that season. This eliminates any potential loophole where a team could first use one of these exceptions and subsequently add salary to go above the Apron, since the reverse -- adding salary first and then using the exception -- would be illegal.

If a team is hard-capped, it cannot exceed the Apron under any circumstance. If the team subsequently needs to sign a player (for example, to replace injured players) it must first create room under the Apron by waiving player(s) with non-guaranteed salary, waiving player(s) with guaranteed salary and utilizing the stretch provision, trading downward in salary, etc2. A team that is hard-capped can utilize Summer Contracts (see question number 70) to sign players for training camp, but must waive them in time to clear waivers before the start of the regular season, if necessary to stay below the hard cap. A team subject to the hard cap can also sign players to Rest-of-Season contracts during the season, as long as the salary pro-ration keeps the team below the Apron.


To add to what Bard said, @dcarter, when calculating hard cap math, Reaves would count as a 1.67m cap hit (aka the vet min of a 2yr experienced player, even though he’s on a rookie min valued at 925k). That same 2yr vet min cap hit of 1.67m would also apply towards all our vet min players, so 8 vet mins would count as a 13.4m cap hit. So that’s just a slight correction to your figures, but you are correct that we would have enough to wiggle to still use about 6m of the fMLE before hitting the apron as a hard capped team.

As for adding Buddy, the same is true as it is with Russ…the hard cap wouldn’t be triggered so we could load up our cap sheet with salary as long as management was okay with paying the tax.
_________________
Not familiar with the salary cap/CBA rules & how it impacts our Lakers?
#GetFamiliar then by CLICKING HERE!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 01 Sep 2012
Posts: 6236

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject:

Every year Pelinka overhauls the roster. More than half the team is always new.

What will be next seasons theme?

Young guys?

All bigs, no guards?
_________________
Marcellus Wiley
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 11 Feb 2015
Posts: 5191

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
Every year Pelinka overhauls the roster. More than half the team is always new.

What will be next seasons theme?

Young guys?

All bigs, no guards?


all bigs, no guards is hilarious. More so hilarious because I could see it happening.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 01 Mar 2020
Posts: 2036

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
Every year Pelinka overhauls the roster. More than half the team is always new.

What will be next seasons theme?

Young guys?

All bigs, no guards?


He will let Frank go and Bring all defenders next season with no offense
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ScHoolBoy B
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 06 Nov 2013
Posts: 1082

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
Every year Pelinka overhauls the roster. More than half the team is always new.

What will be next seasons theme?

Young guys?

All bigs, no guards?


I just hope he tells AD and LeBron to stfu and let him do his job. If those two didn't have any input we'd be Westbrook-less.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Posts: 10588

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject:

ScHoolBoy B wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
Every year Pelinka overhauls the roster. More than half the team is always new.

What will be next seasons theme?

Young guys?

All bigs, no guards?


I just hope he tells AD and LeBron to stfu and let him do his job. If those two didn't have any input we'd be Westbrook-less.

If rob wanted hield, and lebron convinced him to go after Westbrook, then I don’t know who is at fault.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 20 Jul 2006
Posts: 8156
Location: Left coast

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Laker_Jocker wrote:
I happen to be of the crowd that thinks Rob has done OK in general with what was available.


I am in the crowd that never understood why we shook up the championship team, in an apparent attempt to add offense at the expense of defenses. I never understood the desire for Westbrook. Once we traded for him, I think Rob did an OK job surrounding the big three with a decent roster of guys available for the vet's minimum.

It feels like the last couple of years have been change for the sake of change (or change for the sake of getting names) rather than change with a strong strategic purpose in mind.

As I look at the acquisitions of Melo and Westbrook after getting rid of your better defending guards and fwd, I see the application of Magic Johnson’s “the team needs stars” philosophy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Ksig
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 03 Dec 2016
Posts: 1026

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:54 pm    Post subject:

More than ever he seems like he doesnt even know how the championship happened. This dude makes questionable/bad decisions every off season hes been here.

Thats because the 2020 championship was a fluke of destiny. The Dwight Howard gamble paid off, AC and Kuz improved drastically on the defensive end, Kieff fell into his lap on the buyout market, Dudley and the whole team had some of the best team chemistry Ive ever seen, Rondo turned into super saiyan Rondo during the playoffs. Not to mention Covid rest and Kobes death to inspire the entire team.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
2019
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 03 Dec 2014
Posts: 8972

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:29 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
ScHoolBoy B wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
Every year Pelinka overhauls the roster. More than half the team is always new.

What will be next seasons theme?

Young guys?

All bigs, no guards?


I just hope he tells AD and LeBron to stfu and let him do his job. If those two didn't have any input we'd be Westbrook-less.

If rob wanted hield, and lebron convinced him to go after Westbrook, then I don’t know who is at fault.


Seems like that's exactly what happened.

Rob told LeBron he was close on Hield.
Lebron went and made the call to Russ.
Russ met AD, LeBron, and Dudz and all convinced each other it would work. Russ asked Tommy Shepard if he could get to Lakers.
Lebron went to Rob and told him the plan.
Rob called Shepard.

But.. Rob correctly identified Buddy and had the deal lined it up (I actually wanted to trade for him instead of Schroder and I'm on record saying that here back in 2020 but I digress). Rob got it right. LeBron and AD wanted a big 3 to compete with Durant/Harden/Kyrie.

There were also reports the Lakers internally were torn on Russ. I'm willing to bet Vogel was not in favor. He won a championship by blowing through the Rockets mostly by abusing Russ on both ends of the court.

Either way, it was a move that looks like it's going to absolutely ruin this season and potentially (very likely) next.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
troy
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 30 Jan 2013
Posts: 3409

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:05 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
ScHoolBoy B wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
Every year Pelinka overhauls the roster. More than half the team is always new.

What will be next seasons theme?

Young guys?

All bigs, no guards?


I just hope he tells AD and LeBron to stfu and let him do his job. If those two didn't have any input we'd be Westbrook-less.

If rob wanted hield, and lebron convinced him to go after Westbrook, then I don’t know who is at fault.


Seems like that's exactly what happened.

Rob told LeBron he was close on Hield.
Lebron went and made the call to Russ.
Russ met AD, LeBron, and Dudz and all convinced each other it would work. Russ asked Tommy Shepard if he could get to Lakers.
Lebron went to Rob and told him the plan.
Rob called Shepard.

But.. Rob correctly identified Buddy and had the deal lined it up (I actually wanted to trade for him instead of Schroder and I'm on record saying that here back in 2020 but I digress). Rob got it right. LeBron and AD wanted a big 3 to compete with Durant/Harden/Kyrie.

There were also reports the Lakers internally were torn on Russ. I'm willing to bet Vogel was not in favor. He won a championship by blowing through the Rockets mostly by abusing Russ on both ends of the court.

Either way, it was a move that looks like it's going to absolutely ruin this season and potentially (very likely) next.


Very interesting points.
So, what you are saying is that this mess we are in is not so much Rob's fault, but Lebron James. Hmm...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
laker50
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 Mar 2014
Posts: 2086

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject:

Rob Pelinka is like a mad scientist every years tinkering with the team.
And each year he makes the team worse.

Looks like the Westbrook trade was the one.
Giving up an elite defense for a player who doesn't fit the team.'

It is back to Mosgov/Deng years.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfever714
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 05 Jan 2016
Posts: 7786

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject:

Fire him already, please blondie. Make a smart business decision. I know it's a little late now that he's already given away what little assets the Lakers had left but it's better late than never. We need some smart basketball minds in the organization so we wouldn't have to rely on Lebron for personnel decisions.
_________________
Fire Pelinka and sell the team, blondie. I don't wanna see another six consecutive years of missing the playoffs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
bluehill
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 06 Jul 2009
Posts: 572

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Jocker wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Laker_Jocker wrote:
I happen to be of the crowd that thinks Rob has done OK in general with what was available.


I am in the crowd that never understood why we shook up the championship team, in an apparent attempt to add offense at the expense of defenses. I never understood the desire for Westbrook. Once we traded for him, I think Rob did an OK job surrounding the big three with a decent roster of guys available for the vet's minimum.

It feels like the last couple of years have been change for the sake of change (or change for the sake of getting names) rather than change with a strong strategic purpose in mind.


Agreed and especially in the wanting WB. I have no idea the strategy in this roster compilation. What type of team is it, Rob? The championship roster was all about defense and it worked, this one, not so much....Sort of Lebron centric but one dimensional shooters who are all little. Not young enough to play fast tempo the whole game especially in their transition D. Not big/skilled enough to play half court (i.e. dribble drive, penetrate and kick, rebound, killer D).


4 future HoFers! We just need one more and we’ll have a whole lineup. Unstoppable then.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Brawn13
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 30 Jan 2019
Posts: 966

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
2019 wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
ScHoolBoy B wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
Every year Pelinka overhauls the roster. More than half the team is always new.

What will be next seasons theme?

Young guys?

All bigs, no guards?


I just hope he tells AD and LeBron to stfu and let him do his job. If those two didn't have any input we'd be Westbrook-less.

If rob wanted hield, and lebron convinced him to go after Westbrook, then I don’t know who is at fault.


Rob should’ve said no. In the end it’s his decision. Who cares if Lebron doesn’t like it? He hasn’t gotten his way every single time with previous GMs, Rob needs to put his foot down every once in awhile.

Seems like that's exactly what happened.

Rob told LeBron he was close on Hield.
Lebron went and made the call to Russ.
Russ met AD, LeBron, and Dudz and all convinced each other it would work. Russ asked Tommy Shepard if he could get to Lakers.
Lebron went to Rob and told him the plan.
Rob called Shepard.

But.. Rob correctly identified Buddy and had the deal lined it up (I actually wanted to trade for him instead of Schroder and I'm on record saying that here back in 2020 but I digress). Rob got it right. LeBron and AD wanted a big 3 to compete with Durant/Harden/Kyrie.

There were also reports the Lakers internally were torn on Russ. I'm willing to bet Vogel was not in favor. He won a championship by blowing through the Rockets mostly by abusing Russ on both ends of the court.

Either way, it was a move that looks like it's going to absolutely ruin this season and potentially (very likely) next.


Very interesting points.
So, what you are saying is that this mess we are in is not so much Rob's fault, but Lebron James. Hmm...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 156, 157, 158, 159  Next
Page 157 of 159
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB