The LEBRON JAMES Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1589, 1590, 1591 ... 2077, 2078, 2079  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject:

Lebron sounding off on the injuries, although I somewhat disagree. I wonder if he and CP3 butt heads when the players union deliberated over this stuff.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject:

PenG_ wrote:
Lebron sounding off on the injuries, although I somewhat disagree. I wonder if he and CP3 butt heads when the players union deliberated over this stuff.

besides AD, i don't see how the short turnaround had anything to do with these injuries. maybe Murray.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
PenG_ wrote:

besides AD, i don't see how the short turnaround had anything to do with these injuries. maybe Murray.

Potentially less time for the bodies to rest in the off season? Tough to say. Each individual is different.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
PenG_ wrote:

Potentially less time for the bodies to rest in the off season? Tough to say. Each individual is different.

The 4 conference finalists were definitely impacted.

Miami, Boston, Denver and the Lakers all were never at full strength the entire season and that’s not a coincidence imo.

The other injuries could be players just adjusting to the shortened offseason or training habits with less practice time and compressed 72 game season.
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
PenG_ wrote:

It’s not just the turnaround it’s having games every other day. Their bodies have never had time to rehab.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
epic_ wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
PenG_ wrote:

The 4 conference finalists were definitely impacted.

Miami, Boston, Denver and the Lakers all were never at full strength the entire season and that’s not a coincidence imo.

The other injuries could be players just adjusting to the shortened offseason or training habits with less practice time and compressed 72 game season.

Yea. We're creatures of habit. Maybe moreso for athletes.
Not apples to oranges, but when pitchers are banned from using sticky stuff midseason, we might see more injuries like the Rays' pitcher.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Triumph
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
PenG_ wrote:

Other than the short turnaround, the season was also accelerated meaning there were more back-to-back games than usual and more condensed of a schedule overall.

Obviously, injuries like Lebron's where Solomon Hill dived on his ankle would happen regardless, but there are other injuries where a compressed schedule may have contributed. You cannot prove it one way or the other, but this season has been rife with injuries and I don't think that is just a coincidence.
Luis5150
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Triumph wrote:
epic_ wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
PenG_ wrote:

Other than the short turnaround, the season was also accelerated meaning there were more back-to-back games than usual and more condensed of a schedule overall.

Obviously, injuries like Lebron's where Solomon Hill dived on his ankle would happen regardless, but there are other injuries where a compressed schedule may have contributed. You cannot prove it one way or the other, but this season has been rife with injuries and I don't think that is just a coincidence.

Quick turnaround = less time to rest/heal + any offseason strength and conditioning training or routines done by players individually is also affected + little to no training camp time

Compressed schedule = less time in between games to rest, practice, less time for continued strength & conditioning routines within the season

it will definitely contributes to injuries...IMO
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject:

Luis5150 wrote:
Triumph wrote:
epic_ wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
PenG_ wrote:

Quick turnaround = less time to rest/heal + any offseason strength and conditioning training or routines done by players individually is also affected + little to no training camp time

Compressed schedule = less time in between games to rest, practice, less time for continued strength & conditioning routines within the season

it will definitely contributes to injuries...IMO

Of course it does. If that stuff didn't matter. The league would have 120+ game regular seasons year around. There's a reason why the league landed on 82 game seasons with summers off. It was the best mixture of short and long term benefits for the players and thus the league.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject:

I can't find any direct evidence that the short turnaround effected teams.

But here is what is interesting

3/4 final teams from last year were eliminated in the 1st round. Denver the only team to make it to the second round got sweep in the 2nd round.

Plenty of the teams likely to make the semi-finals didn't make the playoffs or got eliminated in the first round last year

Nets-eliminated 1st round
76ers-eliminated 1st round
Hawks-didn't make playoffs
Suns-didn't make playoffs
Utah-eliminated 1st round
Bucks and Clippers are the 2 teams that made the second round..but the Bucks were eliminated in 5 games.

So there seems to be a correlation here?
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:

3/4 final teams from last year were eliminated in the 1st round. Denver the only team to make it to the second round got sweep in the 2nd round.

Plenty of the teams likely to make the semi-finals didn't make the playoffs or got eliminated in the first round last year

Bucks and Clippers are the 2 teams that made the second round..but the Bucks were eliminated in 5 games.

Don’t you also have to consider the validity of the teams that made it to the final four or were eliminated last year in your observations?

Miami and arguably Denver were not expected to be there. Favorites lost in the early rounds. Sixers, Bucks, Clips, Jazz losing early were the upsets. Suns added Paul and Crowder to a rising team this year. Arguably the Lakers benefitted from a four month rest before a 31 game sprint to the Championship.

Your observations are based on teams this year “not making it” based on last year’s results. Maybe last year was the anomaly?

The injuries certainly have been a drawback to the season. The compressed season was a major issue. I would also include the play in plan had teams playing “playoff intensity” games the final month that led to some injuries.

Just a weird season for a lot of reasons.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject:

Bron kinda putting an asterisk on this year chip
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:

There is certainly evidence that this season saw many more injuries than previous seasons, including many more soft tissue injuries that can be related to fatigue and lack of training. It seems reasonable to attribute that to the compacted schedule.

We can certainly look at which teams have a lot of injuries. But of course there is way to prove those specific injuries were caused by the compacted schedule, though the overall trend seems compelling to me.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:

I am not a big fan of asterisk as an attempt to diminishing achievements.

Even if the compacted schedule caused more injuries, that doesn't inherently give an advantage to any particular team.

Same with the Bubble season and the strike-shortened season.

Just because seasons have different characteristics than other seasons, that doesn't mean winning in those seasons is a lesser accomplishment. I could just as easily argue they are a greater accomplishment because they needed to be done under unusual circumstances.

The only asterisk I understood was when Roger Maris hit 61 homeruns in a 162 game season. He played 9 more games than when Babe Ruth hit 60, so there he had a clear advantage.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
governator wrote:

Even if the compacted schedule caused more injuries, that doesn't inherently give an advantage to any particular team.

Just because seasons have different characteristics than other seasons, that doesn't mean winning in those seasons is a lesser accomplishment. I could just as easily argue they are a greater accomplishment because they needed to be done under unusual circumstances.

The only asterisk I understood was when Roger Maris hit 61 homeruns in a 162 game season. He played 9 more games than when Babe Ruth hit 60, so there he had a clear advantage.

I didn’t interpret What he said at putting an Asterisk on the season. I thought he was clearly just saying that he predicted the lack of real rest and preparation would lead to a lot of injuries.

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=190455&start=800
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:37 am    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
activeverb wrote:
governator wrote:

I didn’t interpret What he said at putting an Asterisk on the season. I thought he was clearly just saying that he predicted the lack of real rest and preparation would lead to a lot of injuries.

yeah, I'm not suggesting that's LeBron's intent of the tweet (pretty sure it was about injury and that's it) but did create an unintended consequences
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
TDRock wrote:
activeverb wrote:
governator wrote:

yeah, I'm not suggesting that's LeBron's intent of the tweet (pretty sure it was about injury and that's it) but did create an unintended consequences

I see what you mean, yeah…

I think this was just his I told you so moment because he’s been pretty vocally frustrated the entire season and it’s kind of been if it’s not one thing it’s another. I mean quite frankly this season is one big Asterisk. You could probably say the same thing about last season too. It’s not anybody’s fault obviously. But the last couple of seasons have been bizarre to say the least.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject:

LeBron had no problem when his team benefitted from another team's injuries. So he can't be complaining about being on the other end of it.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
LeBron had no problem when his team benefitted from another team's injuries. So he can't be complaining about being on the other end of it.

Well if you read what he said he wasn’t though. These tweets were clearly a response to the news of Kawhi’s injury. And he was talking about how so many of the stars who are the major pull in the league and as such also carry the major workload in the league are all going down with injury due to this crazy schedule that they’re on. And he apparently expressed that to the league and got told to sit down so now he’s having his “I Told Y’all” moment.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

From reading his quotes, I didn't get the impression he was complaining about the Lakers injuries specifically. It was more about concern for the players well-being over all.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
MJST wrote:

From reading his quotes, I didn't get the impression he was complaining about the Lakers injuries specifically. It was more about concern for the players well-being over all.

You read correctly
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:54 pm    Post subject:

Is Lebron going to play in the Olympics? I'm surprised they didn't cancel it. Hopefully, Lebron doesn't participate. Nobody cares about basketball olympic gold medals.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:03 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Is Lebron going to play in the Olympics? I'm surprised they didn't cancel it. Hopefully, Lebron doesn't participate. Nobody cares about basketball olympic gold medals.

Media said LeBron and AD will not participate
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:03 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Thanks. I guess that's good news.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
epic_ wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Thanks. I guess that's good news.

Yea, he said he's gonna be playing on the Tune Squad this summer.

Quote:
ESPN
@espn

"Nah, I think I'm gonna play for the Tune Squad this summer instead of the Olympics."

💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1589, 1590, 1591 ... 2077, 2078, 2079  Next
Page 1590 of 2079
Jump to: