The LEBRON JAMES Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1850, 1851, 1852 ... 2080, 2081, 2082  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:19 pm    Post subject:

derek94 wrote:
GTL wrote:
defense wrote:
Came in mostly hated and will likely leave mostly hated

Pretty much the story of his career until he won a title for Cleveland. He still ended up leaving.

But he didn't have to hear chants of r*p*st and "no means no" at away arenas for the majority of his career in front of his peers, teammates and family members like Bryant did. So hated? Possibly for other reasons. I don't hate him. I just don't think he's a good fit here. In terms of scrutiny, it's nothing compared to what former Laker greats have had to endure.

You have to admire James in that it would be impossible to measure up to Bryant’s fondness from Lakers fans, and he still decided to sign here

No doubt.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:23 pm    Post subject:

derek94 wrote:
GTL wrote:
defense wrote:

Pretty much the story of his career until he won a title for Cleveland. He still ended up leaving.

But he didn't have to hear chants of r*p*st and "no means no" at away arenas for the majority of his career in front of his peers, teammates and family members like Bryant did. So hated? Possibly for other reasons. I don't hate him. I just don't think he's a good fit here. In terms of scrutiny, it's nothing compared to what former Laker greats have had to endure.

You have to admire James in that it would be impossible to measure up to Bryant’s fondness from Lakers fans, and he still decided to sign here

Lebron's was a business decision... that's why you don't see the passion for the Lakers... he's in LA for other things, and then the Lakers.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:26 pm    Post subject:

derek94 wrote:
GTL wrote:
defense wrote:

LeBron’s time with the Lakers hasn’t exactly been all that great besides the bubble title we missed the playoffs twice and are in Collision course to miss it 3 times under LeBron’s window, so some of the criticism is LeBron’s fault.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:29 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
derek94 wrote:
GTL wrote:
defense wrote:

Lebron's was a business decision... that's why you don't see the passion for the Lakers... he's in LA for other things, and then the Lakers.

This.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:38 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
22 wrote:
I look for Bron to start resting a lot more.

It’s painfully obvious he’s not winning another ring unless he were to demand a trade next year and start ring chasing. No way he does that. His priorities are shifted to playing with Bronny and passing Kareem. Look for him to start prioritizing his health and longevity to achieve those goals.

I wish he would “ring chase” and demand a trade. Not happening though.

James is relaxed, comfortable and a healthy max extension. No reason to chase anything anymore.

Simply needs to keep accumulating 22pt games for 50 more games. Even with rest days that should be fairly easy to break the scoring record. If not, just push it to next year. Just keep scoring and get a couple monster dunks a game for the highlight clips and fan amusement.

Seems he even has worked out any issues with WB from the sideline chuckles they were having in the later stages of the blowout last night.

Yup yup yup!! And Jeanie is fine with that too smh

bluehill wrote:
LeBron got the Kobe retirement package. As great a player as he is, he didn't deserve it based on his contributions to the Lakers.

1000% agreed!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
derek94 wrote:
GTL wrote:
defense wrote:

I doubt Lebron has any passion for the Lakers as a franchise. I doubt he had any passion for the Cavs or the Heat as a franchise either.

Lebron has passion for Lebron. He has always chosen franchises based on his personal agenda. I don't think that makes him different than any other superstar. He's just had more power, and perhaps more creativity, in pushing his agenda.

That irritates some fans, because they don't like the idea that a star doesn't really give a crap what jersey he is wearing, because the fans care about the jersey.

Lots of people have debated why Lebron decided to come to LA and tried to read his mind on the topic. I don't buy the notion that Lebron was indifferent about winning, but I have no trouble believing that a multiple of factors may have been at play, including:

-- proximity to Hollywood.
-- the Lakers brand.
-- the Lakers cache of young players, who could be used as chips to build a contending team.
-- Los Angeles was a good environment for his family.
-- and probably other stuff.

I don't pretend to be able to know how much weight he gave to each item.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:06 pm    Post subject:

With Lebron James, we won a ring but it was a deal with the devil.

We already gave up:
2016, 2017(x2), 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023(swap) and 2024

Let's not give up 2025 also
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:46 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:

We already gave up:

We gave up more in other transactions as well (to free up cap space mostly)

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:57 am    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:

We already gave up:

Good news is most of that is done and in the past. The bad news is these idiots extended Legramps.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:32 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:

We already gave up:

Good news is most of that is done and in the past. The bad news is these idiots extended Legramps.

And while I think they would have to be even dumber to do it, there is still potential to give up more during his tenure
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:04 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
defense wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:

We already gave up:

And while I think they would have to be even dumber to do it, there is still potential to give up more during his tenure

I keep hoping they continue to show restraint in giving up more assets. So far so good.

But the pressure is there by short sighted fans and media to continue to waste assets. Will they continue to resist?

Just save the assets and enjoy rest of this ride. Although I am dreading the next move that is likely coming to bring short term help for a long term problem.

Tough to accept as a longtime fan, but this era is not about winning. It is a marketing decision. The FO has chosen this path. Any moves are just smoke and mirrors solutions. To pacify the fickle fans with massive dunks, “MVP” chants and double digit losses.

Expect lots of National games and Sportscenter highlights as James takes the scoring record. Accompanied by the discussions of “how to fix” the 25 win Laker team.

Going to be a long couple of years for Laker fans.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:14 am    Post subject:

Lebron isn't cooked, but man he's been inefficient.
Hopefully the day off brings out some life today.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:24 am    Post subject:

Tough to accept as a longtime fan, but this era is not about winning. It is a marketing decision. The FO has chosen this path.

The distressing thing is, I don't think that's true.

The ownership and FO have been trying to put together a winning team.

They have just made a lot of mistakes and bad decisions in that pursuit.

But I really don't think anyone at any time has said, "Well, even if we have crappy teams we need to figure a way to keep fannies in the seats." I think every year they think they were putting out a team that could win.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:40 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:

Tough to accept as a longtime fan, but this era is not about winning. It is a marketing decision. The FO has chosen this path.

But I really don't think anyone at any time has said, "Well, even if we have crappy teams we need to figure a way to keep fannies in the seats." I think every year they think they were putting out a team that could win.

I respectfully disagree. Perhaps I am just much more cynical!

IMO they understand the implications of the “decline” of James the day they signed him. They won a ring. The rest is just window dressing as they market the image instead of the substance.

I do agree they didn’t think the overall team would be as non-competitive as last season and now the start of this. My guess they thought the team could hover around the playoff window and get some fannies in seats for a few playoff games. Maybe they still can. Still a lot of season left.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:47 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:

I agree, though the distinction is not as clear as it might seem. I think that Jeanie and Magic had visions of the glory days of Showtime, when winning and marketing went hand in hand. That's a fine vision, but it's not as simple to execute as Magic seemed to think.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:39 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
activeverb wrote:

I agree, though the distinction is not as clear as it might seem. I think that Jeanie and Magic had visions of the glory days of Showtime, when winning and marketing went hand in hand. That's a fine vision, but it's not as simple to execute as Magic seemed to think.

I agree with all that. I think Jeanie and Rob feel as long as they have Lebron they can put out a winning team that will draw fans. The trouble as you note that it's tougher to execute than they imagine, and they are terrible at execution.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:39 am    Post subject:

Brutal Ringer article on LeBron

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2022/11/8/23447175/lebron-james-lakers-father-time
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:43 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:

I respectfully disagree. Perhaps I am just much more cynical!

IMO they understand the implications of the “decline” of James the day they signed him. They won a ring. The rest is just window dressing as they market the image instead of the substance.

I do agree they didn’t think the overall team would be as non-competitive as last season and now the start of this. My guess they thought the team could hover around the playoff window and get some fannies in seats for a few playoff games. Maybe they still can. Still a lot of season left.

Sure, we are all just guessing here. My guess is that Jeanie and Rob weren't thinking like you imagine. I believe they are so deep into a "superstars are the key to winning" mentality that they truly think any team with Lebron and AD can win.

For that reason, my guess is they will eventually trade our picks to boost the team for a run this year.

And, honestly, I think their efforts will fail, and they will just delay the rebuild.

I hope I am wrong. But Jeanie and Rob seem predictable.

And obviously, Lebron will be pushing to trade the picks? And why shouldn't he -- he doesn't care about distant picks that won't be cashed in until he is gone or retired. And I wouldn't expect him to care about the Lakers future. That's Jeanie and Rob's job, not his.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
derek94 wrote:
GTL wrote:
defense wrote:

LeBron’s time with the Lakers hasn’t exactly been all that great besides the bubble title we missed the playoffs twice and are in Collision course to miss it 3 times under LeBron’s window, so some of the criticism is LeBron’s fault.

It’s understood by almost everyone…fans, media, posters…that 3pt shooters with LeBron = championship possibilities. The roster has been poorly constructed to not include that…blame LeBron for not being great enough to overcome the piss poor job by Rob sure, criticism can go around…but the majority of the blame is on the GM that built a roster with 9 vet minimum players along with 2 more mini-tpMLE players, with no good 3pt shooters.

Bev/Nunn/FRP for Turner
WB for Hayward/Rozier
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:12 pm    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
derek94 wrote:
GTL wrote:
defense wrote:

It’s understood by almost everyone…fans, media, posters…that 3pt shooters with LeBron = championship possibilities. The roster has been poorly constructed to not include that…blame LeBron for not being great enough to overcome the piss poor job by Rob sure, criticism can go around…but the majority of the blame is on the GM that built a roster with 9 vet minimum players along with 2 more mini-tpMLE players, with no good 3pt shooters.

Bev/Nunn/FRP for Turner
WB for Hayward/Rozier

I can’t believe I’m saying this because Rob needs to GTFO, but where is the part where LeGM/Klutch wanted Russ when Pelinka had all but pulled the trigger for his former client Hield.

Also, I’m sure it’s Rob’s idea to overpay for Klutch clients because yeah Rob has a vested interest in getting more players to sign with Klutch.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:23 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
activeverb wrote:

I agree with all that. I think Jeanie and Rob feel as long as they have Lebron they can put out a winning team that will draw fans. The trouble as you note that it's tougher to execute than they imagine, and they are terrible at execution.
Imo, the trouble is believing Lebron, who happily and publicly challenged opposing opinions about the benefits of acquiring Westbrook. It was lost on mgmt that Westbrook couldn’t recreate the defensive, offensive, and rebounding chemistry Kuzma, KCP, and Caruso and others brought to the table. Additionally, it was a mistake to believe that signing similar sized players like Melo, Ariza, Bazemore, and other random scorers and shooters would adequately replace the success the former players had together.

Lastly, Lebron is going to be the last to admit that he’s not the same player. It’s up to mgmt to see that and act accordingly. Fans see it and analysts who aren’t associated with the Lakers acknowledge it regularly. At this point they need to take steps to eliminate him from the critical decisions made by the franchise, such as bringing in a new coach who hasn’t been one iota better than the last one.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:06 pm    Post subject:

PenG_ wrote:

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2022/11/8/23447175/lebron-james-lakers-father-time

Awesome. Hopefully that will launch LeGramps right out of his rocking chair.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:17 pm    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
PenG_ wrote:

Awesome. Hopefully that will launch LeGramps right out of his rocking chair.

Not sure if it influence his play on the court. But I fully expect a snappy hype filled social media retort. And “liked” a couple million times by the faithful.

Something about a “storm coming” or “haters going to hate. I’ll show you” would be his usual response.

I personally would prefer he just lead the team to a win every so often. But that is just me.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:50 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:

Tough to accept as a longtime and publicly challenged opposing opinions about the benefits of acquiring Westbrook. It was lost on mgmt that Westbrook couldn’t recreate the defensive, offensive, and rebounding chemistry Kuzma, KCP, and Caruso and others brought to the table. Additionally, it was a mistake to believe that signing similar sized players like Melo, Ariza, Bazemore, and other random scorers and shooters would adequately replace the success the former players had together.

Lastly, Lebron is going to be the last to admit that he’s not the same player. It’s up to mgmt to see that and act accordingly. Fans see it and analysts who aren’t associated with the Lakers acknowledge it regularly. At this point they need to take steps to eliminate him from the critical decisions made by the franchise, such as bringing in a new coach who hasn’t been one iota better than the last one.

The Lakers have certainly made a lot of bad decisions. To me, it was the Westbrook deal that took us over the cliff. It wasn't as much about Westbrook himself as what we had to give up to get him.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:05 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
22 wrote:
I look for Bron to start resting a lot more.

It’s painfully obvious he’s not winning another ring unless he were to demand a trade next year and start ring chasing. No way he does that. His priorities are shifted to playing with Bronny and passing Kareem. Look for him to start prioritizing his health and longevity to achieve those goals.

I wish he would “ring chase” and demand a trade. Not happening though.

James is relaxed, comfortable and a healthy max extension. No reason to chase anything anymore.

Simply needs to keep accumulating 22pt games for 50 more games. Even with rest days that should be fairly easy to break the scoring record. If not, just push it to next year. Just keep scoring and get a couple monster dunks a game for the highlight clips and fan amusement.

Seems he even has worked out any issues with WB from the sideline chuckles they were having in the later stages of the blowout last night.

Yup yup yup!! And Jeanie is fine with that too smh

bluehill wrote:
LeBron got the Kobe retirement package. As great a player as he is, he didn't deserve it based on his contributions to the Lakers.

1000% agreed!

🎯🎯🎯

Winner
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1850, 1851, 1852 ... 2080, 2081, 2082  Next
Page 1851 of 2082
Jump to: