The LEBRON JAMES Thread (Signs 2-Year Extension)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1830, 1831, 1832, 1833, 1834  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
LakersInFour
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 16 Apr 2001
Posts: 6663
Location: New Mexico

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:23 pm    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:
BTW, you guys really ain't gonna like it when Bron buys Dr. Patrick Soon-Shiong's stake

it's comin'!
Lebron doesn't have the money to buy it, unless it's available to him only at a significantly less than market price, and Soon-Shiong would be a fool to do that sort of a financial favor for anyone.
_________________
"It’s like going to the Getty and standing in front of Van Gogh’s Irises while some schmuck next to you critiques individual brush strokes. Just shut up already. The more you talk, the more you embarrass yourself."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 11 Feb 2015
Posts: 7951

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:24 pm    Post subject:

Barry Seal wrote:
quartzcharm wrote:
george w kush wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
kobe_4_mvp wrote:
The King with a Mickey Mouse Ring. Sign a 10 year extension clown and bring another 10 retirees with you. You’ll never be one of us. Unwanted.


Wow, the hate....
Mickey Mouse ring? By the way, probably one of the hardest championships to win in NBA history yet some still downplay it. So stupid....
"He'll never be one of us" why? because you hate him?
We are lucky to have him.
Enjoy one of the greatest of all time, while you still can.

Crazy how some of you wanted him traded or for the Lakers to not extend him and have him go somewhere else. Like that was going to happen? Be real...

But, sorry, man, your hate is ridiculous. One of the greatest players of all time is on this team....yes, I agree the roster needs to improve, but at least we have Lebron still.....


His username says it all. These guys are just mad that Kobe's adversary came here and won a ring in a Lakers uniform, and now, they're going to continue seeing him for another 2 years minimum.

Get used to it haters.


As long as he's here, the Lakers aren't winning another championship. That's what we hate.

We're Lakers fans. Not LeBron fans.


If you’re a Lakers fan then you would know that the Lakers aren’t winning another Championship under this ownership no matter who is on the team.


"Not winning another championship, under the ownership, no matter who is on the floor" is pretty contradicting because the Lakers won a championship, based on who was on the floor, under the same ownership. Who is on the floor will always matter, I wouldn't say despite ownership because the FO have to get the right fitting pieces. And we can't really judge the pieces, as an unit, until they actually perform.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Mar 2016
Posts: 3768

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:28 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
kobe_4_mvp wrote:
The King with a Mickey Mouse Ring. Sign a 10 year extension clown and bring another 10 retirees with you. You’ll never be one of us. Unwanted.


Wow, the hate....
Mickey Mouse ring? By the way, probably one of the hardest championships to win in NBA history yet some still downplay it. So stupid....
"He'll never be one of us" why? because you hate him?
We are lucky to have him.
Enjoy one of the greatest of all time, while you still can.

Crazy how some of you wanted him traded or for the Lakers to not extend him and have him go somewhere else. Like that was going to happen? Be real...

But, sorry, man, your hate is ridiculous. One of the greatest players of all time is on this team....yes, I agree the roster needs to improve, but at least we have Lebron still.....


Mickey mouse ring is disrespectful.

I wouldn't call it one of the hardest championships ever though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Apr 2002
Posts: 15962

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:19 pm    Post subject:

LakersInFour wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:
BTW, you guys really ain't gonna like it when Bron buys Dr. Patrick Soon-Shiong's stake

it's comin'!
Lebron doesn't have the money to buy it, unless it's available to him only at a significantly less than market price, and Soon-Shiong would be a fool to do that sort of a financial favor for anyone.


LeBron's worth a bil. He could buy Soon-Shiong's piece for $300 mil (50 mil over market). The way sports franchises appreciate, banks will fall all over themselves to loan him the $$$. Why?

1 - being a minority owner of a team is usually a pre-requisite to becoming a majority owner - it's like a probationary period before they let you into the club - even if your minority ownership isn't in the sport where you become a majority owner,

2 - it puts the bank in line to finance your purchase when you go to become a majority owner. It also sets up a relationship for them to get a piece of your other business interests,

3 - as a minority owner, his loan is defacto guaranteed by the Lakers - they'll buy him out before they let him default (as will the NBA).

Buying stuff when you're high net worth follows different rules. The value of the asset you buy is almost more important than your ability to pay, because the lender believes that if you don't pay, someone else connected to the asset or you will. Too big to fail is the foundation of American capitalism (how we've survived this long is by the mercy of G-d).
_________________
On Lakersground, a concern troll is someone who is a fan of another team, but pretends to be a Lakers fan with "concerns".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Jul 2006
Posts: 4020

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:21 pm    Post subject:

kobe_4_mvp wrote:
The King with a Mickey Mouse Ring. Sign a 10 year extension clown and bring another 10 retirees with you. You’ll never be one of us. Unwanted.


That's super harsh to refer to the ring as such. Some team had to win the ring that year, and fortunately it was us. It was on the heels of the most tragic event in team history.

There was a cloud from Kobe's death and the freaking pandemic hanging over us. Anthony hollering "Kobe" on that last second win against Denver was exhilirating. Winning the banner was cathartic.

The ring was well-appreciated then, and still appreciated it now. Call it what you want but frankly you sound more like a Kobe fan than a Laker fan, which is fine, but some of us just want to win.....and thank the people who helped us do so, not degrade their accomplishment because of winning under circumstances they had no control over. .
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 34663

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
LakersInFour wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:
BTW, you guys really ain't gonna like it when Bron buys Dr. Patrick Soon-Shiong's stake

it's comin'!
Lebron doesn't have the money to buy it, unless it's available to him only at a significantly less than market price, and Soon-Shiong would be a fool to do that sort of a financial favor for anyone.


LeBron's worth a bil. He could buy Soon-Shiong's piece for $300 mil (50 mil over market). The way sports franchises appreciate, banks will fall all over themselves to loan him the $$$. Why?

1 - being a minority owner of a team is usually a pre-requisite to becoming a majority owner - it's like a probationary period before they let you into the club - even if your minority ownership isn't in the sport where you become a majority owner,

2 - it puts the bank in line to finance your purchase when you go to become a majority owner. It also sets up a relationship for them to get a piece of your other business interests,

3 - as a minority owner, his loan is defacto guaranteed by the Lakers - they'll buy him out before they let him default (as will the NBA).

Buying stuff when you're high net worth follows different rules. The value of the asset you buy is almost more important than your ability to pay, because the lender believes that if you don't pay, someone else connected to the asset or you will. Too big to fail is the foundation of American capitalism (how we've survived this long is by the mercy of G-d).


What makes you think Soon-Shiong wants to sell his share of the Lakers?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Apr 2002
Posts: 15962

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:37 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
LakersInFour wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:
BTW, you guys really ain't gonna like it when Bron buys Dr. Patrick Soon-Shiong's stake

it's comin'!
Lebron doesn't have the money to buy it, unless it's available to him only at a significantly less than market price, and Soon-Shiong would be a fool to do that sort of a financial favor for anyone.


LeBron's worth a bil. He could buy Soon-Shiong's piece for $300 mil (50 mil over market). The way sports franchises appreciate, banks will fall all over themselves to loan him the $$$. Why?

1 - being a minority owner of a team is usually a pre-requisite to becoming a majority owner - it's like a probationary period before they let you into the club - even if your minority ownership isn't in the sport where you become a majority owner,

2 - it puts the bank in line to finance your purchase when you go to become a majority owner. It also sets up a relationship for them to get a piece of your other business interests,

3 - as a minority owner, his loan is defacto guaranteed by the Lakers - they'll buy him out before they let him default (as will the NBA).

Buying stuff when you're high net worth follows different rules. The value of the asset you buy is almost more important than your ability to pay, because the lender believes that if you don't pay, someone else connected to the asset or you will. Too big to fail is the foundation of American capitalism (how we've survived this long is by the mercy of G-d).


What makes you think Soon-Shiong wants to sell his share of the Lakers?


THAT is a different question!

I think Soon-Shiong only sells to become a majority owner somewhere. He has the $$$ to buy into the NFL.
_________________
On Lakersground, a concern troll is someone who is a fan of another team, but pretends to be a Lakers fan with "concerns".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Feb 2005
Posts: 5220

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:40 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I can’t believe that people actually thought Lebron wouldn’t sign an extension


I wouldn’t say they thought he wouldn’t..I would say they were hopeful he wouldn’t. Oh well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Feb 2005
Posts: 5220

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:42 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
george w kush wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
kobe_4_mvp wrote:
The King with a Mickey Mouse Ring. Sign a 10 year extension clown and bring another 10 retirees with you. You’ll never be one of us. Unwanted.


Wow, the hate....
Mickey Mouse ring? By the way, probably one of the hardest championships to win in NBA history yet some still downplay it. So stupid....
"He'll never be one of us" why? because you hate him?
We are lucky to have him.
Enjoy one of the greatest of all time, while you still can.

Crazy how some of you wanted him traded or for the Lakers to not extend him and have him go somewhere else. Like that was going to happen? Be real...

But, sorry, man, your hate is ridiculous. One of the greatest players of all time is on this team....yes, I agree the roster needs to improve, but at least we have Lebron still.....


His username says it all. These guys are just mad that Kobe's adversary came here and won a ring in a Lakers uniform, and now, they're going to continue seeing him for another 2 years minimum.

Get used to it haters.




Such a stupid take. Our disdain for this clown has absolutely nothing to do with Kobe. Leave Kobe out of this. 3 out of the 4 years he's been here have been an unmitigated disaster. $100 million for a guy that's going to load manage and fake injuries for half the season, pout when the skies aren't blue, blame his teammates for missing his defensive assignments and statpad. If you love the Lakers and want to win, then there's no way you should approve of this signing. If your love is for him and him only then you got exactly what you wanted....his desire to remain in Hollywood and a sick, demented fulfillment of watching Laker fans suffer for as long as he's here.


I'm thoroughly disgusted with Jeannie. For the first time since I've been a Laker fan I feel we are now a gimmicky organization. The only thing that's left is her signing his sorry sons and replacing the roof at Staples with a circus tent.


Whether you like this trade, you hate me or whatever I could care less, but please let Kobe rest in peace. He has no place in this discussion whatsoever.


HOF post. You my friend are Top G. So tired of the “you must be a Kobe fan since you hate Lebron…” claims. It’s not true for a lot of us. You want to mask the stupidity that has occurred because he came and won us that ring? Go ahead. Can’t be me.

I wouldn’t call it the Mickey Mouse ring..I call it the ring that saved Jeanie/Rob’s sorry asses.

You’d think they learn and be grateful and move on from this BS…but rest assured they’re as stupid as ever. What are expectations next year? 7th seed?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 2650

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:18 pm    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
kwase wrote:
george w kush wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
kobe_4_mvp wrote:
The King with a Mickey Mouse Ring. Sign a 10 year extension clown and bring another 10 retirees with you. You’ll never be one of us. Unwanted.


Wow, the hate....
Mickey Mouse ring? By the way, probably one of the hardest championships to win in NBA history yet some still downplay it. So stupid....
"He'll never be one of us" why? because you hate him?
We are lucky to have him.
Enjoy one of the greatest of all time, while you still can.

Crazy how some of you wanted him traded or for the Lakers to not extend him and have him go somewhere else. Like that was going to happen? Be real...

But, sorry, man, your hate is ridiculous. One of the greatest players of all time is on this team....yes, I agree the roster needs to improve, but at least we have Lebron still.....


His username says it all. These guys are just mad that Kobe's adversary came here and won a ring in a Lakers uniform, and now, they're going to continue seeing him for another 2 years minimum.

Get used to it haters.




Such a stupid take. Our disdain for this clown has absolutely nothing to do with Kobe. Leave Kobe out of this. 3 out of the 4 years he's been here have been an unmitigated disaster. $100 million for a guy that's going to load manage and fake injuries for half the season, pout when the skies aren't blue, blame his teammates for missing his defensive assignments and statpad. If you love the Lakers and want to win, then there's no way you should approve of this signing. If your love is for him and him only then you got exactly what you wanted....his desire to remain in Hollywood and a sick, demented fulfillment of watching Laker fans suffer for as long as he's here.


I'm thoroughly disgusted with Jeannie. For the first time since I've been a Laker fan I feel we are now a gimmicky organization. The only thing that's left is her signing his sorry sons and replacing the roof at Staples with a circus tent.


Whether you like this trade, you hate me or whatever I could care less, but please let Kobe rest in peace. He has no place in this discussion whatsoever.


HOF post. You my friend are Top G. So tired of the “you must be a Kobe fan since you hate Lebron…” claims. It’s not true for a lot of us. You want to mask the stupidity that has occurred because he came and won us that ring? Go ahead. Can’t be me.

I wouldn’t call it the Mickey Mouse ring..I call it the ring that saved Jeanie/Rob’s sorry asses.

You’d think they learn and be grateful and move on from this BS…but rest assured they’re as stupid as ever. What are expectations next year? 7th seed?


It is as it was the year that we won the ring you have LeBron and Anthony Davis and hope to put enough decent talent around them that LeBron and Anthony Davis doesn’t have to carry them every game I think that they’re actually going a different direction because they’re getting young athletic bags and hopefully some shooting
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
epic_
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jan 2020
Posts: 7657

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:52 pm    Post subject:

Dang, year 2 is a player option?
_________________
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖

My summer: Player to be named later
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 11985

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:05 am    Post subject:

Year 2 of the extension is a player option. He was already under contract for one season. So he'll be here for two more years and then the third year is a player option for both Lebron and AD.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2006
Posts: 15957
Location: L.A County, 26 miles away from Staples Center

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:32 am    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
kwase wrote:
george w kush wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
kobe_4_mvp wrote:
The King with a Mickey Mouse Ring. Sign a 10 year extension clown and bring another 10 retirees with you. You’ll never be one of us. Unwanted.


Wow, the hate....
Mickey Mouse ring? By the way, probably one of the hardest championships to win in NBA history yet some still downplay it. So stupid....
"He'll never be one of us" why? because you hate him?
We are lucky to have him.
Enjoy one of the greatest of all time, while you still can.

Crazy how some of you wanted him traded or for the Lakers to not extend him and have him go somewhere else. Like that was going to happen? Be real...

But, sorry, man, your hate is ridiculous. One of the greatest players of all time is on this team....yes, I agree the roster needs to improve, but at least we have Lebron still.....


His username says it all. These guys are just mad that Kobe's adversary came here and won a ring in a Lakers uniform, and now, they're going to continue seeing him for another 2 years minimum.

Get used to it haters.




Such a stupid take. Our disdain for this clown has absolutely nothing to do with Kobe. Leave Kobe out of this. 3 out of the 4 years he's been here have been an unmitigated disaster. $100 million for a guy that's going to load manage and fake injuries for half the season, pout when the skies aren't blue, blame his teammates for missing his defensive assignments and statpad. If you love the Lakers and want to win, then there's no way you should approve of this signing. If your love is for him and him only then you got exactly what you wanted....his desire to remain in Hollywood and a sick, demented fulfillment of watching Laker fans suffer for as long as he's here.


I'm thoroughly disgusted with Jeannie. For the first time since I've been a Laker fan I feel we are now a gimmicky organization. The only thing that's left is her signing his sorry sons and replacing the roof at Staples with a circus tent.


Whether you like this trade, you hate me or whatever I could care less, but please let Kobe rest in peace. He has no place in this discussion whatsoever.


HOF post. You my friend are Top G. So tired of the “you must be a Kobe fan since you hate Lebron…” claims. It’s not true for a lot of us. You want to mask the stupidity that has occurred because he came and won us that ring? Go ahead. Can’t be me.

I wouldn’t call it the Mickey Mouse ring..I call it the ring that saved Jeanie/Rob’s sorry asses.

You’d think they learn and be grateful and move on from this BS…but rest assured they’re as stupid as ever. What are expectations next year? 7th seed?


Haven't been on LG for awhile an I come back to this Kobe Vs Lebron crap again

I've been one of the biggest Lebron Apoligists on here and look at my username.

Always been an overall fan of the game of the basketball in general first. Like for example I like every single player on the celtics roster just cant stand that franchise.

It seems like it's not gonna change in here until Lebron retires.
The over the top Lebron fans are just annoying as the haters.


Can't we all just root for our Lakers and leave the hate and pettiness for the poverty franchises and their fan bases
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 21867

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:32 am    Post subject:

What's with the pushback? what realistic FA y'all think can be better than LeBron next year? $47m... none

Harden?
Westbrook?
Kyrie?
Wiggins?
combo of Kuz/Porzingis?
DLo?
Harrison Barnes?
combo other players?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2006
Posts: 15957
Location: L.A County, 26 miles away from Staples Center

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:15 am    Post subject:

Me and a few others have been saying this since last offseason that Jeanie will offer Lebron the biggest contract extension in NBA history.

Not that it’s official and over with its ok to celebrate the good times coming ahead. LINK 🦁👑🏀💛💜

Not trying to be foolishly optimistic but I feel pretty damn good Lebron locking in to finishing his career with the Lakers that this will have a snowball effect. Lebron has always taken a calculated approach to his next journey unlike *cough* cough* KD 🤣😂🤣
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PenG_
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 01 Feb 2020
Posts: 7655

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:23 am    Post subject:

*Poster named "kobe_4_mvp" labels Lebron's 4th ring a "Mickey Mouse ring" on a Lakers forum.

"Stop saying it's a Kobe vs Lebron thing!!!!!!"

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 29 May 2002
Posts: 57028

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:27 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
What's with the pushback? what realistic FA y'all think can be better than LeBron next year? $47m... none

Harden?
Westbrook?
Kyrie?
Wiggins?
combo of Kuz/Porzingis?
DLo?
Harrison Barnes?
combo other players?

I think the issue here is that there have been so many moves by the Lakers FO that were dependent on them having some caproom in 2023. Then, Lebron gets this money and the room is all but gone (20M I think). If the relationship and trust between Klutch/Lakers were strong, they would have been able to get a max player in, or 2 starters, next year, and then Lebron re-sign after that.

I mean it's understandable Lebron wants the most money he earned it. But the Lakers also have to present to Lebron the reality. They can't compete for a title this year and they won't compete in 23-24 if they can't sign some major talent.

It could be as Lebron tweeted that he never wants to miss the playoffs again. Meaning all they want now is a good team, not a title level team. Perhaps that's just the reality. Lebron breaks the scoring record and we're a 45 win team next 2 years. A lot of teams would take that.

Right now our 2023 offseason looks like 20M to surround

AD
Lebron
THT
Reaves
Christie

And THT/Reaves could be getting 3-4 year MLE level deals if they have strong years this season. They'll be FAs.

Perhaps they will use FRPs to get THT off the books, and open up 30M. But that's not good asset management.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 25 Jul 2002
Posts: 1922

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:28 am    Post subject:

I think there had to have been some quid pro quo here for Lebron to sign now instead of waiting: I think this means Jeannie informally agreed to go into (some) tax territory for a couple of years despite the repeater tax.
I think this means that the first domino has fallen and Rob/FO can get "more aggressive" ...
/winking to the twitter addicts here, enjoy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PenG_
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 01 Feb 2020
Posts: 7655

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:04 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
I think there had to have been some quid pro quo here for Lebron to sign now instead of waiting: I think this means Jeannie informally agreed to go into (some) tax territory for a couple of years despite the repeater tax.
I think this means that the first domino has fallen and Rob/FO can get "more aggressive" ...
/winking to the twitter addicts here, enjoy


Quote:

Bleacher Report
@BleacherReport
LeBron James’ decision to sign an extension with the Lakers came despite his private insistence that the Lakers “improve the current roster” and trade for Kyrie Irving, per
@jovanbuha
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 21867

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:28 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
governator wrote:
What's with the pushback? what realistic FA y'all think can be better than LeBron next year? $47m... none

Harden?
Westbrook?
Kyrie?
Wiggins?
combo of Kuz/Porzingis?
DLo?
Harrison Barnes?
combo other players?

I think the issue here is that there have been so many moves by the Lakers FO that were dependent on them having some caproom in 2023. Then, Lebron gets this money and the room is all but gone (20M I think). If the relationship and trust between Klutch/Lakers were strong, they would have been able to get a max player in, or 2 starters, next year, and then Lebron re-sign after that.

I mean it's understandable Lebron wants the most money he earned it. But the Lakers also have to present to Lebron the reality. They can't compete for a title this year and they won't compete in 23-24 if they can't sign some major talent.

It could be as Lebron tweeted that he never wants to miss the playoffs again. Meaning all they want now is a good team, not a title level team. Perhaps that's just the reality. Lebron breaks the scoring record and we're a 45 win team next 2 years. A lot of teams would take that.

Right now our 2023 offseason looks like 20M to surround

AD
Lebron
THT
Reaves
Christie

And THT/Reaves could be getting 3-4 year MLE level deals if they have strong years this season. They'll be FAs.

Perhaps they will use FRPs to get THT off the books, and open up 30M. But that's not good asset management.


signing max FA then signing FA Lebron next season means LeBron would've signed for $23-30m, don't think any of us expected that to happen. At least with this signing, we have the core for 2 more years (Bron/AD) and to me, this sounds like Pelinka has a trade in his pocket since we would need birds to extend with the limited $20m cap next summer, Kyrie I hope but most likely Buddy/Myles. Hope LeBron locked up gives Pelinka leverage with the future picks involved
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 29 May 2002
Posts: 57028

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:35 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
governator wrote:
What's with the pushback? what realistic FA y'all think can be better than LeBron next year? $47m... none

Harden?
Westbrook?
Kyrie?
Wiggins?
combo of Kuz/Porzingis?
DLo?
Harrison Barnes?
combo other players?

I think the issue here is that there have been so many moves by the Lakers FO that were dependent on them having some caproom in 2023. Then, Lebron gets this money and the room is all but gone (20M I think). If the relationship and trust between Klutch/Lakers were strong, they would have been able to get a max player in, or 2 starters, next year, and then Lebron re-sign after that.

I mean it's understandable Lebron wants the most money he earned it. But the Lakers also have to present to Lebron the reality. They can't compete for a title this year and they won't compete in 23-24 if they can't sign some major talent.

It could be as Lebron tweeted that he never wants to miss the playoffs again. Meaning all they want now is a good team, not a title level team. Perhaps that's just the reality. Lebron breaks the scoring record and we're a 45 win team next 2 years. A lot of teams would take that.

Right now our 2023 offseason looks like 20M to surround

AD
Lebron
THT
Reaves
Christie

And THT/Reaves could be getting 3-4 year MLE level deals if they have strong years this season. They'll be FAs.

Perhaps they will use FRPs to get THT off the books, and open up 30M. But that's not good asset management.


signing max FA then signing FA Lebron next season means LeBron would've signed for $23-30m, don't think any of us expected that to happen. At least with this signing, we have the core for 2 more years (Bron/AD) and to me, this sounds like Pelinka has a trade in his pocket since we would need birds to extend with the limited $20m cap next summer, Kyrie I hope but most likely Buddy/Myles. Hope LeBron locked up gives Pelinka leverage with the future picks involved

Yeah, they only have one path towards improvement now which is dealing the FRPs to get contracted players who are on longterm deals or who will re-sign with LA via bird rights.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 21867

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:41 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
governator wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
governator wrote:
What's with the pushback? what realistic FA y'all think can be better than LeBron next year? $47m... none

Harden?
Westbrook?
Kyrie?
Wiggins?
combo of Kuz/Porzingis?
DLo?
Harrison Barnes?
combo other players?

I think the issue here is that there have been so many moves by the Lakers FO that were dependent on them having some caproom in 2023. Then, Lebron gets this money and the room is all but gone (20M I think). If the relationship and trust between Klutch/Lakers were strong, they would have been able to get a max player in, or 2 starters, next year, and then Lebron re-sign after that.

I mean it's understandable Lebron wants the most money he earned it. But the Lakers also have to present to Lebron the reality. They can't compete for a title this year and they won't compete in 23-24 if they can't sign some major talent.

It could be as Lebron tweeted that he never wants to miss the playoffs again. Meaning all they want now is a good team, not a title level team. Perhaps that's just the reality. Lebron breaks the scoring record and we're a 45 win team next 2 years. A lot of teams would take that.

Right now our 2023 offseason looks like 20M to surround

AD
Lebron
THT
Reaves
Christie

And THT/Reaves could be getting 3-4 year MLE level deals if they have strong years this season. They'll be FAs.

Perhaps they will use FRPs to get THT off the books, and open up 30M. But that's not good asset management.


signing max FA then signing FA Lebron next season means LeBron would've signed for $23-30m, don't think any of us expected that to happen. At least with this signing, we have the core for 2 more years (Bron/AD) and to me, this sounds like Pelinka has a trade in his pocket since we would need birds to extend with the limited $20m cap next summer, Kyrie I hope but most likely Buddy/Myles. Hope LeBron locked up gives Pelinka leverage with the future picks involved

Yeah, they only have one path towards improvement now which is dealing the FRPs to get contracted players who are on longterm deals or who will re-sign with LA via bird rights.

The fork on the road comes when talking about expectation. I'm in the optimistic camp where a healthy AD will be playing.

All the FA signings so far are 2nd unit players. A Kyrie/Harris would solidify the starting unit, Buddy/Myles too but lower ceiling. Either trade would turn us a contender. Hope Rob is up to the task but Bron signing is a good thing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
epic_
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jan 2020
Posts: 7657

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:49 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
Year 2 of the extension is a player option. He was already under contract for one season. So he'll be here for two more years and then the third year is a player option for both Lebron and AD.


Yea, summer of 2024 will be interesting.
Hoping for a healthy 2 years at the least!
_________________
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖

My summer: Player to be named later
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 36547

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:09 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
LakersInFour wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:
BTW, you guys really ain't gonna like it when Bron buys Dr. Patrick Soon-Shiong's stake

it's comin'!
Lebron doesn't have the money to buy it, unless it's available to him only at a significantly less than market price, and Soon-Shiong would be a fool to do that sort of a financial favor for anyone.


LeBron's worth a bil. He could buy Soon-Shiong's piece for $300 mil (50 mil over market). The way sports franchises appreciate, banks will fall all over themselves to loan him the $$$. Why?

1 - being a minority owner of a team is usually a pre-requisite to becoming a majority owner - it's like a probationary period before they let you into the club - even if your minority ownership isn't in the sport where you become a majority owner,

2 - it puts the bank in line to finance your purchase when you go to become a majority owner. It also sets up a relationship for them to get a piece of your other business interests,

3 - as a minority owner, his loan is defacto guaranteed by the Lakers - they'll buy him out before they let him default (as will the NBA).

Buying stuff when you're high net worth follows different rules. The value of the asset you buy is almost more important than your ability to pay, because the lender believes that if you don't pay, someone else connected to the asset or you will. Too big to fail is the foundation of American capitalism (how we've survived this long is by the mercy of G-d).


What makes you think Soon-Shiong wants to sell his share of the Lakers?


THAT is a different question!

I think Soon-Shiong only sells to become a majority owner somewhere. He has the $$$ to buy into the NFL.


Just because he has the money doesn't mean he's interested. Since he's in the medical profession he should know what type of liabilities an NFL owner faces in the future due to all the potential lawsuits from head injuries, which he might want no part of.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
anth2000
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 16 Apr 2001
Posts: 9591
Location: Pasadena, CA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:01 am    Post subject:

Lakesh0wtime wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
kobe_4_mvp wrote:
The King with a Mickey Mouse Ring. Sign a 10 year extension clown and bring another 10 retirees with you. You’ll never be one of us. Unwanted.


Wow, the hate....
Mickey Mouse ring? By the way, probably one of the hardest championships to win in NBA history yet some still downplay it. So stupid....
"He'll never be one of us" why? because you hate him?
We are lucky to have him.
Enjoy one of the greatest of all time, while you still can.

Crazy how some of you wanted him traded or for the Lakers to not extend him and have him go somewhere else. Like that was going to happen? Be real...

But, sorry, man, your hate is ridiculous. One of the greatest players of all time is on this team....yes, I agree the roster needs to improve, but at least we have Lebron still.....


Mickey mouse ring is disrespectful.

I wouldn't call it one of the hardest championships ever though.


I mean, it was.....maybe not matchup wise but mentally it was a challenge
Players had fear of getting Covid - especially if anyone came in from outside the bubble.
Players and coaches no longer had access to the outside world. Family and friends were kept out until a few could get clearance for the finals.
Players had to follow rigorous protocols.
No crowd, especially no home crowd advantage.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1830, 1831, 1832, 1833, 1834  Next
Page 1831 of 1834
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB