HAWKS -at- LAKERS - 2/16 - Thoughts and :-(( ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
^And I watched all the times he didn't bother to fight to establish position in the post and elected to set a pick along the perimeter, 3 times in a row.

Well, for one - He does that knowing that he isn't getting the ball on O - even if he gets a good post position. So to help out, he will set picks and slide over to the rim every time. He does look for the ball on offensive rebounding.

How come Bynum doesn't play like that when he's with the 2nd unit? Why not in NY at MSG?

He expected the ball. He was aggressive and gained confidence knowing that he can be a scorer too.

Two weaknesses are there though. One, he doesn't get most of his rebounds by great positioning - rather relying on his great length, Second - He doesn't grab the ball with enough strength and many times the ball is just snatched away from him on rebounds.

Phil is a pathetic coach for youngsters. He has no idea what a young player needs at all.

They are making him a role player when he should be getting oppurtunities to be a post up threat. I am disgusted with the way Phil is developping some of these players.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
The Mike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB, I just wish the Lakers would put forth the constant effort on D, that you do in writing up these summaries.
"Kobe Bryant is an absolute nightmare. You can hold your breath, send for help, sacrifice a chicken, it won't matter. Kobe Bryant is coming for you. He's got the ball and he's going to score...some way, some how."
Dancing Barry
koolruningz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB. All you can ever ask from your team is effort and desire, we got none of that last night.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
^And I watched all the times he didn't bother to fight to establish position in the post and elected to set a pick along the perimeter, 3 times in a row.

To some extent, he is being called to come out of the post to set picks. I'm not sure about the particular sequence above, but Kobe was calling for the clear-out two-man game a few times.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

To some extent, he is being called to come out of the post to set picks. I'm not sure about the particular sequence above, but Kobe was calling for the clear-out two-man game a few times.

While I do agree about that, I also think it's partial to blame the lack of triangle spacing because good post position isn't established.

Even when Bryant went into the high post, Parker, Odom, and other players "widened" the spacing before making direct cuts.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

<snipped>

Well, for one - He does that knowing that he isn't getting the ball on O - even if he gets a good post position. So to help out, he will set picks and slide over to the rim every time. He does look for the ball on offensive rebounding.

How come Bynum doesn't play like that when he's with the 2nd unit? Why not in NY at MSG?

He expected the ball. He was aggressive and gained confidence knowing that he can be a scorer too.

Despite the rhetoric prior to the draft (that Bynum grasped the basic tenets of the Triangle offense), I think it's clear that he doesn't know what's going on or that he's uncomfortable with the speed at which the offense is being run.

So, you're right. He knows that he won't see the ball and he does (what he feels) is the next best thing - set picks. Whether or not that screws up the rest of the offensive flow is undetermined.

As for his play with the 2nd unit and in NY...

The 2nd unit knows the Triangle offense less than (or, at the very least, isn't as effective) the 1st. So they revert to Basketball 101 and pass it to the biggest guy closest to the basket. This was accentuated in New York when: A) Bynum had his mojo working; and, B) the Knicks had long since quit by the time he entered the game.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Well, for one - He does that knowing that he isn't getting the ball on O - even if he gets a good post position.

I only saw a couple times when he had good position last night, just no one could get him the pass.

Whether or not he gets the ball in the post is irrelevant.

He should be establishing the low block position just to maintain spacing in the triangle period, even if they do ball-reverse at the perimeter.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject:

And 1 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

<snipped>

Despite the rhetoric prior to the draft (that Bynum grasped the basic tenets of the Triangle offense), I think it's clear that he doesn't know what's going on or that he's uncomfortable with the speed at which the offense is being run.

So, you're right. He knows that he won't see the ball and he does (what he feels) is the next best thing - set picks. Whether or not that screws up the rest of the offensive flow is undetermined.

As for his play with the 2nd unit and in NY...

The 2nd unit knows the Triangle offense less than (or, at the very least, isn't as effective) the 1st. So they revert to Basketball 101 and pass it to the biggest guy closest to the basket. This was accentuated in New York when: A) Bynum had his mojo working; and, B) the Knicks had long since quit by the time he entered the game.

Bynum isn't a selfish player. Not only in basketball 101 should you pass the ball to the apex - you should also do that in the Triangle. It's not like Bynum is Kwame - where has shown that he will fumble a pass. Vujacic threw him one of the worst passes and he was able to scoop it up and score the other night. One thing he does have is good hands. Now the next thing is what he does with the ball. From what I have seen, he surveys the floor. He does look for teammates.

So while Bynum doesn't have to take the most shots out there - he should atleast be getting a touch in the post so the defense and sink in.

But teammates are wary of passing the ball into him. That and some of them just don't know how to throw a post pass.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
Well, for one - He does that knowing that he isn't getting the ball on O - even if he gets a good post position.

I only saw a couple times when he had good position last night, just no one could get him the pass.

Whether or not he gets the ball in the post is irrelevant.

He should be establishing the low block position just to maintain spacing in the triangle period, even if they do ball-reverse at the perimeter.

And the fact that noone throws the pass to him even when he has good position doesn't affect his desire to consistently get a good post base?

Even Shaq got discouraged or angry when he didn't get the ball from a good position in the low post. And Shaq was a veteran.

If the Lakers play Bynum out there - Give him the damn ball to operate with in the post. Not every time down, but atleast once he has established good post position. He doesn't look like a selfish player. I have seen him pass to open players and survey the floor.

This wasn't the first game. The only player who I have seen pass to Bynum without hesitation is Odom. If either Kwame or Bynum get good post position and Odom has the ball - he most likely will pass them the ball.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject:

Since Odom & Kobe are the best passers, they have been the ones that consistently (when he is on the court) give him the ball when he is in position.

"Bigs" have to demand (unfortunately expect) to get the ball once they have established position. Until Bynum acquires more "ballast" where he doesn't get pushed entirely out of the paint (whether it is for passing or scoring), the touches will be limited unless it is early in the offense where the defense has settled in and he can show his moves.

He is learning fast, though - plus he is YOUNG and Light!?!?!?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: