The Film Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 133, 134, 135 ... 187, 188, 189  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject:

Just finished watching Arlington Road. Tim Robbins displayed the calm demeanor he did in The Shawshank Redemption. I'll watch Mystic River after the game tonight to see if there is a similarity.

Right now ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL? LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Watched Mystic River. Tim Robbins is a much better actor than I gave him credit for. Both Arlington Road and Mystic River have unexpected endings. The bad guys get away.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject:

The Matrix movies are on HBOMax in 4K/Dolby Vision with Atmos sound. Really looks great in the updated format.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
The Matrix movies are on HBOMax in 4K/Dolby Vision with Atmos sound. Really looks great in the updated format.

I bought the box set and the reduced green tint in the sequels makes for a more pleasant viewing experience.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject:

The Card Counter is a wow from me. Maybe not as good as First Reformed and it's another familiar entry in Schrader's "God's Loneliest Man" series, but pretty easily the best new movie I've seen this year.

Releasing this as 9/11 counter-programming is ballsy as hell, too.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
The Card Counter is a wow from me. Maybe not as good as First Reformed and it's another familiar entry in Schrader's "God's Loneliest Man" series, but pretty easily the best new movie I've seen this year.

Releasing this as 9/11 counter-programming is ballsy as hell, too.

Looking forward to it. Glad to read good review
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:

I bought the box set and the reduced green tint in the sequels makes for a more pleasant viewing experience.

So that's why the sequels feel so much more clean visually. Makes sense.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Malignant - Overall it's fine due to some fun creature effects and eventual turn into action thriller, but in cribbing together better source material - Basket Case, Brain Damage, Drag Me to Hell, Texas Chainsaw Massacre II, and a vague Giallo aesthetic via copious use of red gel filters - it made me nostalgic for actual good horror movies.

Ugly lighting and production design, inexplicably oversized sets, Wan's signature dull gray and blue filter aesthetic - somehow even more drab and lifeless here than in the Conjuring movies - and a lazy, almost twee tongue-in-cheek approach to the material that tries to ironize its shabbiness, its high school drama caliber performances, and lack of anything novel or particularly engaging in its subject matter render it another lackluster James Wan horror movie outing. In between 3-4 "virtuoso" sequences where Wan can show off some fun, if overly familiar, camera tricks, Malignant has the look, feel, and wit of a MadTV pre-filmed parody sketch:

loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject:

Bond tickets went on sale today.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
I finally watched Full Metal Jacket which was included when I asked for Vietnam war movie recommendations. Between the 3 that I watched - Apocalypse Now, FMJ, and Platoon - I found this one the most interesting but also maybe the least enjoyable.

The way I viewed it was that the bootcamp half of the movie showed the military's need to make people fit into specific molds and those that wouldn't fit would be broken like Leonard aka "Gomer Pyle". None of this is really a novel concept or all that deep but the payoff was in the second half when you see all the ones who "fit" and made it through simply were being made to fit into a broken system and were losing their humanity in the process. The way they became cruel, sadistic, or even apathetic to the horrors they saw and took part in really showed how much humanity was stripped away from them.

-- I've got me oone hundred and fifty-seven dead G's killed!! And fifty water buffaloes, too!!...Them are ALL certified!

How can you shoot!...WOOO-MEN!...AND CHILD-REEN?!

-- EAASYEE!...Ya just don't lead em so much, huhuhuhuh!! Ain't war hell?!, huhuhuhuh...

--Mee sucky-sucky!...Mee LOOOVE you too much! (kiss, kiss)

--JOKER!...I think we have to put you up for the Congressional Medal uuuv...UGLY!!

-- Ahh jelly DOUGH-NUUT?!......

It's actually good that you derived something thoughtful about the 2nd half. Most line quoters like me don't get it and don't like it. It turns into a different movie completely...with peanuts in its shhhhh... It's interesting how the voice and main character just melts into an equal or lesser character to ones like Animal Mother. Mother's helmet said, "I AM BECOME DEATH (Destroyer of Worlds, --Oppenheimer's line). Then Joker with the peace button that suggested something about the duality of man...the Jungian thing (Carl Jung, the psychoanalist). As in many Kubrick movies there are many contemplative and philosophical tidbits. Of course, they filmed in England and it looked like England, but that kinda thing is forgiven in a Kubrick film. He loved England. His daughter cited An American Werewolf In London as one of Stanley's favorite flicks. He was a dual citizen at heart.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:42 am    Post subject:

Daniel Craig is my favorite Bond. Crazy to think who’s going to follow him. There has been some bad ones in the past .

Best.
Craig
Connery
Lazenby

Ok.
Moore

Trash.
Brosnan
Dalton
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:49 am    Post subject:

Cry Macho - Eastwood getting out of his drab bureaucracy phase is quite nice as this has some of the most aggressively sumptuous nature money shots of his directorial career...and I'm an absolute sucker for them as Eastwood pets horses in the fading afternoon sunlight of west Mexico. Gorgeous, tear-jerking nonsense.

Not a good movie as much as a fun, relaxed, attractive meditation on Eastwood's apologias and vanity as a nonagenarian sex object. If you're anti-Eastwood, avoid. If you're pro-Eastwood, you'll love him talking to a rooster and wooing grandma's while lamenting the failures of his past in a cracked croaking voice.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject:

Cry Macho - Eastwood getting out of his drab bureaucracy phase is quite nice as this has some of the most aggressively sumptuous nature money shots of his directorial career...and I'm an absolute sucker for them as Eastwood pets horses in the fading afternoon sunlight of west Mexico. Gorgeous, tear-jerking nonsense.

Not a good movie as much as a fun, relaxed, attractive meditation on Eastwood's apologias and vanity as a nonagenarian sex object. If you're anti-Eastwood, avoid. If you're pro-Eastwood, you'll love him talking to a rooster and wooing grandma's while lamenting the failures of his past in a cracked croaking voice.

I started watching it and lost interest. I'll give it another peek.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

It's mostly a slow hang out movie that doesn't really care about the mechanics of the kidnapping plot. The beginning is the weakest part, but if Clint Eastwood talking to a rooster, making tortillas, and slow dancing with widowed señoras doesn't interest you as a payoff, it may not be worth another try.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

It's mostly a slow hang out movie that doesn't really care about the mechanics of the kidnapping plot. The beginning is the weakest part, but if Clint Eastwood talking to a rooster, making tortillas, and slow dancing with widowed señoras doesn't interest you as a payoff, it may not be worth another try.

Tried, couldn't stay with it.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Just finished watching Arlington Road. Tim Robbins displayed the calm demeanor he did in The Shawshank Redemption. I'll watch Mystic River after the game tonight to see if there is a similarity.

Right now ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL? LINK

Arlington Road deserves a decent Blu ray release. Not spectacular, but the Bridges v. Robbins dynamic is fun, and making one of the few good-ish movies about domestic white nationalist terrorism more widely available would be nice.

Betrayed (1988) is another one deserving of a U.S. Blu-ray release.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject:

Watching the trailer for the new PTA movie, thinking the 2020 pandemic scheduling delays may have created one of the greatest fall runs American cinema has seen in awhile. And if Scorsese can get Killers of the Flower Moon out by Christmas...?

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject:

Just watched a classic Run Silent Run Deep (1958) Clark Gable and Burt Lancaster. CAST

Some classics are rent or buy. I learned you can watch a lot of classics with Youtube voice search free that will charge if you type search.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:59 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Just watched a classic Run Silent Run Deep (1958) Clark Gable and Burt Lancaster. CAST

Some classics are rent or buy. I learned you can watch a lot of classics with Youtube voice search free that will charge if you type search.

How was it?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:59 pm    Post subject:

PTA as the modern day Billy Wilder is growing on me.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

How was it?

Great submarine movie. Gable and Lancaster, two mega stars of the era, fit well. Gable got 1st billing. Don Rickles wasn't the old insulter, he played a good straight role.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
jodeke wrote:

How was it?

Great submarine movie. Gable and Lancaster, two mega stars of the era, fit well. Gable got 1st billing. Don Rickles wasn't the old insulter, he played a good straight role.

If you really want to get Jod nostalgic for the old days, show him a movie with chariot racing.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
jodeke wrote:

How was it?

If you really want to get Jod nostalgic for the old days, show him a movie with chariot racing.

Nah, Bud Abbot and Lou Costello Meet The Wolfman is more apropos.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:52 pm    Post subject:

Under the Blossoming Cherry Trees (Shinoda, 1975) - Criterion Channel

Watched on a lark as a spooky lead up to Halloween and it turns out this almost ghost story is an incredible movie. An instant all-timer for me.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject:

The guilty (Jake Gylenhall), good drama with good twist at the end, easy couch watching
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 133, 134, 135 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 134 of 189
Jump to: