The Film Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 169, 170, 171 ... 187, 188, 189  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:53 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Quote:
It's a lie to say that CL's thought experiment for men was not blatantly and needless condescending and a not at all thinly veiled accusation of misogyny.

This is a case of interpretation. I answered the experiment. I thought it was like "Walk a mile in another man's shoes." I don't see her statement as misogyny. All it did was ask men to put themselves in Will's shoes. How is that misogyny?

She didn't ask women to do the same thought experiment. She's assuming that women don't need the thought experiment to have empathy for Jada's plight, only the men do.

You're assuming that's what CL meant. I didn't glean that from the post.

And as we see, there was a quote from a female actress who said the same thing some men in here said, that she didn't find the joke offensive.

So, wouldn't this actress also need to go through this "thought experiment" as well?

In the vein you're asking YES she would. In that vein I think it would be appropriate if a woman had slapped Chris to ask the experiment of women and exclude men.

There are women out there who didn't take offense to that joke. If the whole point of the thought experiment is to raise people's empathy levels, then wouldn't the thought experiment be equally productive for men and women?

Yes but IMO Linda was asking because a man slapped Chris. As I said if a woman had slapped him put the shoe on the other foot.

Why does Linda feel that only men need to go through this thought experiment? That's the question.

I don't think she thinks that way. That's your opinion and I don't agree with it.

And I'll give you an example, if I came out and said: "I have a thought experiment for all black men" - you might feel some kind of way about that?

When you have a thought experiment, you start out with all people. Then you can limit the people you want to apply this thought experiment to:

-all men?
-all women?
-all black men?

If that's how you want to handle it so be it. I'm in accord with the experiment being for men. I don't see misogamy. If you do, so be it.

I mean, once you start applying limits, then the people in that group are going to wonder why did you place that particular limit? Why only men? Why only women? Why only black men?

You're reading things into a post that IMO are unwarrented. I'll leave you to your opinions and I'll stand with mine.

Linda's justification was - well, because there was only men in this thread. So, then, if there were only black men in this thread, would the thought experiment have been limited to only black men? Then would you feel some kind of way?

Again IMO you're reaching. I'll leave it there because we would fill a page with quotes and accomplish nothing. People on your side of the issue have their oponions and those on the other side have theirs. So lets agree to disagree.

Let's gree to disagree. Have a nice day.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:57 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Remember, you posed the question..

jodeke wrote:
How is that misogyny?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:03 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Remember, you posed the question..

jodeke wrote:
How is that misogyny?

Seems Let's agree to disagree. Have a nice day. didn't get my message across. Maybe This will.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:47 am    Post subject:

Rush Hour 2 is the best out the 3.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:45 pm    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:

Rosalyn Sanchez, you would be right
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:03 pm    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:

Check out The Protector if you can. Dany Aiello and Jackie team up in 1985 and a lot of that movie - like brothels - make it into the Rush Hour movies.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:53 am    Post subject:

I have never seen a Taika Waititi film I have liked. I have never seen a Taika Waititi film I have hated.

His output is fine.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:17 am    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:

I watch all 3 last night. I found it difficult to make a determination as to which was best. I settled on 3. The scene with Chris and Jackie singing was what sent me to make that decision. The car chase, Eifel Tower jump, and other scenes were great also.

aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:48 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:

Check out The Protector if you can. Dany Aiello and Jackie team up in 1985 and a lot of that movie - like brothels - make it into the Rush Hour movies.

Thanks for the recommendation. The movie was pretty good. Did they use a voice dub for Jackie in that movie? The movie is almost 40 years old and his english seems better in that movie than his recent movies.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:

I watch all 3 last night. I found it difficult to make a determination as to which was best. I settled on 3. The scene with Chris and Jackie singing was what sent me to make that decision. The car chase, Eifel Tower jump, and other scenes were great also.

3 was good. I consider it up there with 2.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:54 pm    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:

Thanks for the recommendation. The movie was pretty good. Did they use a voice dub for Jackie in that movie? The movie is almost 40 years old and his english seems better in that movie than his recent movies.

I think it's Jackie's voice, but it is dubbed. My guess is they probably got clearer line readings in a sound studio where they could select his best takes.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:06 pm    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:

I think it's Jackie's voice, but it is dubbed. My guess is they probably got clearer line readings in a sound studio where they could select his best takes.

Yeah the voice did sound like Jackie so i wasn't sure if it was dubbed. But what you said makes a lot of sense.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:46 pm    Post subject:

I have never seen a Taika Waititi film I have liked. I have never seen a Taika Waititi film I have hated.

His output is fine.

Finally watched JoJo Rabbit . Bad movie. Hot Shots Part Deux has more to say about war and is much funnier.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:11 am    Post subject:

what y'all think about Batman? it's on HBO max
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:16 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:

I didn't like the dark format. I like the movie.

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:20 pm    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:

Whyd' they stop making them? They always made money and were good for a chuckle here and there.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:38 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:

Whyd' they stop making them? They always made money and were good for a chuckle here and there.

Rush Hour 4 is a possibility. If they do it Chris Tucker will have to lose a lot of weight. LINK

Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:19 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:

Rush Hour 4 is a possibility. If they do it Chris Tucker will have to lose a lot of weight. LINK

chris tucker is the steven seagal of chris tuckers.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
jodeke wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:

chris tucker is the steven seagal of chris tuckers.

Tru dat.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:29 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:

I posted after seeing it in theaters a few weeks back, but my opinion that it's a solid start to a franchise reboot still holds - it's unnecessarily long, Dano's schtick isn't that entertaining; but there are some inspired action sequences and I think Pattinson will ultimately work as a more emo Batman.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:32 pm    Post subject:

I don't think Ambulance is better than Everything Everywhere All at Once, but both contain unnecessary scenes of emotional manipulation within two kickass action movies. I wonder if pet rocks will make a resurgence based on the latter movie.

ETA: Also, RRR, flawed as it is, is better than both.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Rest in peace, Jacques Perrin: https://youtube.com/watch?v=ZGEqt5_LnEE
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:23 pm    Post subject:

I don't think Ambulance is better than Everything Everywhere All at Once, but both contain unnecessary scenes of emotional manipulation within two kickass action movies. I wonder if pet rocks will make a resurgence based on the latter movie.

ETA: Also, RRR, flawed as it is, is better than both.

The Northman was even better. Really fun slate of distinctive, director driven action spectacles to start the movie year.

ETA: Everything Everywhere All at Once is deceptively complex but is simple. The Northman is deceptively simple but complex.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:35 am    Post subject:

His output is fine.

Finally watched JoJo Rabbit . Bad movie. Hot Shots Part Deux has more to say about war and is much funnier.

JoJo Rabbit is possibly in my top 10 favorite movies.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Need recommendation on good natural disaster movie.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 169, 170, 171 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 170 of 189
Jump to: