The Film Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 180, 181, 182 ... 187, 188, 189  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:40 pm    Post subject:

Wakanda Forever will be available on Disney Plus starting tomorrow. I still haven’t seen it.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:00 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Wakanda Forever will be available on Disney Plus starting tomorrow. I still haven’t seen it.

IMO it doesn't live up to the hype. I'm rewatching to see if there's something I missed.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:10 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Buck32 wrote:
Just finished Knives Out - Glass Onion, great film, even better than the first one. Daniel Craig has a future in comedic films.

I tried 3 times to watch it. I just can't get into it. I'll try again.

I liked it, but the thought the first one was better.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:11 am    Post subject:

has anyone seen the Megan movie? Is it worth watching?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:25 am    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Buck32 wrote:
Just finished Knives Out - Glass Onion, great film, even better than the first one. Daniel Craig has a future in comedic films.

I tried 3 times to watch it. I just can't get into it. I'll try again.

I liked it, but the thought the first one was better.

I finally got through Glass Onion. I did like it. I'm going to watch Knives Out again through a different lens.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Vengeance on Amazon Prime shouldn't be overlooked. BJ Novak has made a brilliant film.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:53 pm    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
has anyone seen the Megan movie? Is it worth watching?

Yes, it is. It starts slow but it kept my attention until the end. The gist; A robot doll becomes overly protective of the young girl it was made for.

Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:03 am    Post subject:

You People was really good. Crazy talented cast.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:35 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

Eddie Murphy departed from the wisecracking, Eddie Murphy laughing usual. Laura London (Amir) is the wife/girlfriend of the late Nipsey Hussle

Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:03 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Eddie Murphy departed from the wisecracking, Eddie Murphy laughing usual. Laura London (Amir) is the wife/girlfriend of the late Nipsey Hussle

I had zero expectations and was pleasantly surprised. One of the writers did a great series called Black AF. Julia is one of my favorites and she was perfect for this role.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Plane. Not bad. The climax is exciting. Worth a watch.

dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:39 pm    Post subject:

I went to see Knock At The Cabin. It was a good movie by the end, and nice and short which I prefer, buts it a bit hardcore and gruesome. It isn’t a “slasher” film but basically, if you don’t like slasher films, this one is going to make you uncomfortable. It’s a difficult one to watch. Anybody else see it?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:23 am    Post subject:

I rewatched Black Panther Wakanda Forever. It's better than I originally gave it credit for being. When I finally grasped the storyline I saw a different picture. The coming together of the nations Talokan and Wakanda gives rise to another Black Panther movie. One that has them fighting together.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:02 am    Post subject:

The Entity. (1983) A True Story About a Woman Who Is Attacked by Invisible, Paranormal Forces. LINK Read the link before watching the movie. It will have you wondering. Good watch.

Quote:
Over two and a half months, investigators saw lights and poltergeist activity, and at one point, a green mist appeared and took form as a large male, causing one investigator to faint.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:10 pm    Post subject:

The Hitman's Bodyguard. A movie worth a rewatch. Samuel A Jackson and Ryan Renolds are a surprisingly good match.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:26 pm    Post subject:

Heart and Souls Romantic, Comedy Fantasy. If you haven't seen it give it a try. I'm almost sure you'll like it. It may tear you in spots.

Cast

Robert Downey Jr. as Thomas Reilly
Eric Lloyd as 7-year-old Thomas Reilly
Kyra Sedgwick as Julia
Charles Grodin as Harrison Winslow
Alfre Woodard as Penny Washington
Tom Sizemore as Milo Peck
Elisabeth Shue as Anne
David Paymer as Hal the Bus Driver
Bill Calvert as Frank Reilly
Lisa Lucas as Eva Reilly
Richard Portnow as Max Marco
B. B. King as Himself
Kurtwood Smith (uncredited) as Patterson

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:34 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
I feel like Jod’s film review scale is from 7 to 8.

IA I'm no Siskel and Ebert. My tastes are somewhat skewed. Did you watch Gladiator 1992? If so what's your rating? EDITED

Finally saw Gladiator 2000 for the first time in full the other day. Always avoided it. I DON'T like movies about Gladiators... Just seemed meh to me. It was aight. A boring role for PHX. A rather boring one for Russell. I sim caught Cinderella Man recently. I liked Gladiator more, but it's the gore stuff that kept me interested a la Ralphie Cifaretto. The story was staid Caeser intrigues, not historically based, but movies like that and 300/Braveheart always do well, probably why some of them share certain actors/resses. I just saw Braveheart not too long ago for first time, as well. Getting those out the way. I liked when the King in Braveheart threw that Nancy Lad out the castle window, but other than that, it was a dog with fleas.

Saw Manchester By The Sea and then re-rented the Pitt/C. Affleck Jesse James flick. I thought Casey Affleck was a good actor from the Jesse flick, but I came to that conclusion not knowing he had won an Oscar in 2016. The Manchester flick was depressing in mood from start to finish and they obviously borrowed from Ordinary People even in the opening credits. It's a movie of that ilk, about survivor's guilt/depression. The storyline didn't appeal to me all that much, but I get that it was a movie trying to achieve a realistic picture of grief. I also learned after the fact that Casey was MeToo'd for some reason that I've yet to learn aside from the basics. Dunno the specific allegations. I don't think he perma-MeToo'd himself a la Spacey, tho. He plays the pitiful sad boii archetype to great heights. He can get his voice to crack while upset and gets a lot of mileage w/ the long, silent Goslingish looks/pan-ins. More tricks in his acting kit than his bro. That film was highly underrated due to No Country and There Will Be. In various years, that c/would've won Best Pic.

Like the scenes post-James shooting, especially. Spoilers.

Jode, check that one out if you haven't seen it yet. You'd like it.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:00 pm    Post subject:

Knock at the Cabin (2023) An apocalitic film with a different approach. I was not expecting the film's climax. 1 to 10 I give it 7

Knock at the Cabin cast

Jonathan Groff as Andrew
Ben Aldrige as Eric
Kristen Cui as Wen
Dave Bautista as Leonard
Rupert Grint as Redmond

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:45 am    Post subject:

I finally got around to watching "To Leslie" last night. Man, what an amazing performance by Andrea Riseborough. While my sentimental pick for Best Actress Oscar is Michelle Yeoh, Riseborough would be hugely deserving.

Great cast (I always enjoy seeing Allison Janney, Stephen Root and Andre Royo, and they don't disappoint) and a troubling yet touching story. And Marc Maron does a solid job as well. I know from listening to his podcast he had concerns about pulling off the Texas accent and worked hard at it, and it paid off.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:40 am    Post subject:

A Man Called Otto: Tom Hanks. The movie starts slow. Once the reasons for his personality are revealed you see what the character is about. Fom scrooge to santa. 1 to 10 I rate it 9. Cast LINK

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:52 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
A Man Called Otto: Tom Hanks. The movie starts slow. Once the reasons for his personality are revealed you see what the character is about. Fom scrooge to santa. 1 to 10 I rate it 9. Cast LINK

The original film version from Sweden (A Man Called Ove, which was the book's title) was much better. It was sweeter, more sincere and more culturally relevant to the original. Otto was just Hanks being Hanks in a Hollywood version; not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just less moving and interesting. The contrast of the two is a very good example of a film version and a movie version of the same material.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:21 am    Post subject:

I have it on Prime. I'll watch it.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:22 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

The original film version from Sweden (A Man Called Ove, which was the book's title) was much better. It was sweeter, more sincere and more culturally relevant to the original. Otto was just Hanks being Hanks in a Hollywood version; not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just less moving and interesting. The contrast of the two is a very good example of a film version and a movie version of the same material.

I have it on Prime. I'll watch it and compare.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:02 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I have it on Prime. I'll watch it and compare.

I watched A Man Called Ove. It's subtitled. The language spoken is listed as Svenska. I think I understand your meaning of culturally relevant to the original. The settings were of Swedish nature. The scripts were close to identical. The characters were ethically diverse in the Hanks version. I parallel the versions. I liked both equally.

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:23 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Based on a friend’s recommendation, I watched the original version of the new Tom Hanks movie, the Swedish film A Man Called Ove. It’s a heart wrenching and wonderful film. Amazing performances and looks gorgeous.

Are the Swedish and US versions of A Man Called Ove/Otto like the Swedish and US versions of Let The Right One In? I hope A Man Called Ove/Otto doesn't end with a vampire slaughtering a few kids at an indoor swimming pool.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 180, 181, 182 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 181 of 189
Jump to: