Legend of PLAYOFF RONDO (Woj: Trade to Cavs)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 162, 163, 164 ... 166, 167, 168  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
laker50 wrote:
But he is like a coach on the floor and will improve the young guys
if they listen.

Young guys? Well, I guess we still have THT.

Do you guys want to win, or babysit? Young guys entertain, vets win titles. Lakers, are in the title winning business.

In the words of JayZ " I got now, I don't care who got next". We will worry about tomorrow....tomorrow. Lets win the title today!!!
Laker_Jocker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:
Welcome back? Was awful w/Hawks and benched with Clipps and now 2 years older than last with us but oh well, age > youth according to Rob and the Lakers braintrust.

I think it has more to do with familiarity than anything else. Otherwise, it's an odd signing.

I think its worth noting that Rondo worked well with the Lakers just over a year ago, the fact that he has a ton of playoff experience, reportedly works game tape like a coach and the fact that he has shown that holds other stars accountable on the court.

Absolute no brainer from a GM/Coach perspective even if he plays only a few minutes a game.

What I draw from watching him on the Lakers in 2019-20 and then the 2020-21 links that MING posted is that there is good evidence that Rondo is still in enough basketball shape and has the same skill set to contribute to the Lakers at least for this season.

I don't get how anyone wouldn't like this signing... I suppose there could be disharmony but if there is then Lakers can punt....

Last edited by Laker_Jocker on Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
BEazy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject:

Welcome back Rondo!
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject:

Playoff Rondo!!! It's a wrap!!!
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject:

brock wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
laker50 wrote:
But he is like a coach on the floor and will improve the young guys
if they listen.

Young guys? Well, I guess we still have THT.

Malik Monk. Kendtrick Nunn.

Monk is going into his fifth season. Nunn is 26.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Watching those Clipper highlights, it reminds me that Rondo is better suited to a team with bigs that are scoring threats around the basket.

Anthony and Dwight will feast in the paint.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject:

Laker_Jocker wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:
Welcome back? Was awful w/Hawks and benched with Clipps and now 2 years older than last with us but oh well, age > youth according to Rob and the Lakers braintrust.

I think it has more to do with familiarity than anything else. Otherwise, it's an odd signing.

I think its worth noting that Rondo worked well with the Lakers just over a year ago, the fact that he has a ton of playoff experience, reportedly works game tape like a coach and the fact that he has shown that holds other stars accountable on the court.

Absolute no brainer from a GM/Coach perspective even if he plays only a few minutes a game.

What I draw from watching him on the Lakers in 2019-20 and then the 2020-21 links that MING posted is that there is good evidence that Rondo is still in enough basketball shape and has the same skill set to contribute to the Lakers at least for this season.

I don't get how anyone wouldn't like this signing... I suppose there could be disharmony but if there is

I get the familiarity angle, but he turns 36 this season and has a fork sticking out of his back. He can't hold other players accountable on the court unless he is actually on the court. But hey, we're talking about a roster spot at the end of the bench. It's not like he's taking away a roster spot from someone who would be likely to make a difference.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject:

I like having him in order to work with guys on reviewing the tape. He sees things even the vets aren't and having that in the trenches during a series will be useful even if he doesn't see time on the floor. (Especially useful for Westbrook, IMO. He and LeBron in his ear and getting through to him should be interesting.)

On the floor, I figure he's in a break-in-the-case-of-emergency kind of role. If Russ is out for a couple of weeks or something. That sort of situation. He does help with pace and connecting with AD, so maybe there's a small window each game for him.

Not sure this team needs him for the "swag" factor Vogel always talked about and that helped in the playoffs. But we'll see. There was a game in the playoffs last year with the Clippers, I forget which one, but it was the type of game the Clips might typically fold under pressure like they did the previous season. Rondo captained them to a win just with his steadiness and, hate to say it, but the swag Vogel was talking about. You could definitely see it down the stretch of that game.

Pretty crazy that he left the team, got paid $15 million that we could not have afforded and is back with the team less than a year later. With that contract being subsidized by another team.

Overall good pickup with Dudley/JKidd gone. I don't expect him playing too much, but I think LeBron could use another PG that is respected who Russ might listen to. Rondo has a career worth of experience of teams sagging off him and he's still able to manipulate the D to some extent to get into the paint. I'm sure that will benefit Russ at times.

This also helps with roster turnover. Just getting the new guys up to speed on how Vogel wants things, having Rondo/Dwight back in the mix will speed that process up.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject:

I'm good with this move. Sure, we have a "well-seasoned" team, but I think they'll be motivated to prove to the youngsters that they can still kick ass.
fubby1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:

SOOOOO, Rondo aged 2 years in less than 1 full calendar.......OK

Lol

WTM ! ( What the MATH !)
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
I like having him in order to work with guys on reviewing the tape. He sees things even the vets aren't and having that in the trenches during a series will be useful even if he doesn't see time on the floor. (Especially useful for Westbrook, IMO. He and LeBron in his ear and getting through to him should be interesting.)

On the floor, I figure he's in a break-in-the-case-of-emergency kind of role. If Russ is out for a couple of weeks or something. That sort of situation. He does help with pace and connecting with AD, so maybe there's a small window each game for him.

Not sure this team needs him for the "swag" factor Vogel always talked about and that helped in the playoffs. But we'll see. There was a game in the playoffs last year with the Clippers, I forget which one, but it was the type of game the Clips might typically fold under pressure like they did the previous season. Rondo captained them to a win just with his steadiness and, hate to say it, but the swag Vogel was talking about. You could definitely see it down the stretch of that game.

Pretty crazy that he left the team, got paid $15 million that we could not have afforded and is back with the team less than a year later. With that contract being subsidized by another team.

Overall good pickup with Dudley/JKidd gone. I don't expect him playing too much, but I think LeBron could use another PG that is respected who Russ might listen to. Rondo has a career worth of experience of teams sagging off him and he's still able to manipulate the D to some extent to get into the paint. I'm sure that will benefit Russ at times.

This also helps with roster turnover. Just getting the new guys up to speed on how Vogel wants things, having Rondo/Dwight back in the mix will speed that process up.

Everything DB said.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

Lots of great points in your post DB!

This one is highlighted for me. Before the Rondo addition, we only had five players who were with the team since Vogel's arrival. It's possible one of those (Gasol) won't be with the team come the start of the season and another, Tucker, is still only 20. That was also a subtle but important part of losing Caruso (after having traded the other guys away).

That's where I see Rondo being of unusually high value to this team.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:

Hold up dude. Last game he played for us was Oct 6th 2020. That's like 11 months ago.

How is he now all of a sudden 2 years older?

Literally the worst take I've ever read.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject:

WB will teach Malik Monk, THT and Kendrick Nunn how to be professionals.
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject:

This is a good move. Rondo has Lebron's ear and will keep him in line. In fact he is probably the only one on the team including Vogel that can call Lebron out and have him actually listen.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:

Hold up dude. Last game he played for us was Oct 6th 2020. That's like 11 months ago.

To be fair, I've probably aged like 2 years since Oct 2020.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Rondo is the perfect complement to a Lebron/AD/RW led team. Now with Dudley gone he is the only player that is capable of addressing issues with the superstars who they will actually listen to.

https://clutchpoints.com/lakers-news-rajon-rondo-confronted-lebron-james-about-body-language-2018-19-season/

This is in addition to the benefits he contributes in the film room, game planning, sideline coaching and his play on the court.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:

To be fair, I've probably aged like 2 years since Oct 2020.

Haven't we all + another 2 since March 2020.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Rondo high IQ on and off the court.

Got that 2 year/15 million dollar deal paid in full in less than 11 months lol.
Now back home where he belongs as a Laker collecting an additional 2.6 mill.
🙏🏀🙏🏀🙏💛💜💛💜💛

Not to forget the intel he got on Ty Lue and the Clippers 🧐🧐🧐

Fun Fact about Rajon:
He was born with 12 fingers and had two of them surgically removed as a newborn. An he almost has the same size hands as Kawhi 👋👋👋👋👋

Dude is an 👽
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject:

KingKobe20 wrote:
Rondo high IQ on and off the court.

Got that 2 year/15 million dollar deal paid in full in less than 11 months lol.
Now back home where he belongs as a Laker collecting an additional 2.6 mill.
🙏🏀🙏🏀🙏💛💜💛💜💛

Not to forget the intel he got on Ty Lue and the Clippers 🧐🧐🧐

Fun Fact about Rajon:
He was born with 12 fingers and had two of them surgically removed as a newborn. An he almost has the same size hands as Kawhi 👋👋👋👋👋

Dude is an 👽

I have read that rumor isn't true about the 12 fingers and 12 toes thing.....
I have seen close up pics of his hands, he has no scaring or spacing that would show a removal of fingers. .....maybe its a dumb rumor...
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject:

Welcome back, Rondo! I wonder if Bazemore is going to offer his uniform #9 to Rondo.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
I'm good with this move. Sure, we have a "well-seasoned" team, but I think they'll be motivated to prove to the youngsters that they can still kick ass.

Will be interesting to see if the old bodies will be able to back up the bold statements and attempts to prove anything on the court over a long season.

No issue with him teaching the young guys to watch film or teach them to be professionals. Even agree that he can hold the superstars accountable. Only issue I see is he can be an abrasive personality. He can "say" anything he wants, will they listen?

I honestly don't expect him to play much, regular season or the playoffs. As someone mentioned, break in case of emergency type signing.

He is a vet leader on the back end of the bench, unfortunately at a position they have tons of depth. Would really love to see another athletic C or even a defensive minded SF that can churn some mins instead of old guy spot duty.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject:

Fortunately we have a decent stable of guys 32 and under with talent.

We should clinch playoff birth by late January
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
"We're putting the band back together."
"We're on a mission from GOD!"

I have seeeeeen the liiiiight!!!
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject:

BandwagonLBJhopper wrote:
This is a good move. Rondo has Lebron's ear and will keep him in line. In fact he is probably the only one on the team including Vogel that can call Lebron out and have him actually listen.

AD, as well, has the same status w/LeBron as those you've named. Each checks the other, very openly at times, I've read. That's real good.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 162, 163, 164 ... 166, 167, 168  Next
Page 163 of 168
Jump to: