Carmelo Anthony to LA? (Woj: Traded to Atlanta and will be waived; P. 18)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Carmelo Anthony?
Yes
25%
 25%  [ 77 ]
No
75%
 75%  [ 231 ]
Total Votes : 308

chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Can we even absorb Anthony's contract if we traded for him with Deng, assuming no big pieces are moved? Would this even save that much more money than just stretching Melo?

Last edited by chantruong on Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I am not a salary cap guy or a wannabe GM. However, it seems to me that there might be an opportunity here for a three way trade involving the Spurs. OKC gets Deng and thus cap relief, the Spurs get Anthony and thus an expiring contract, we get Leonard. We would need to toss in some additional assets and cash, of course. The Spurs are going to want value, and the salaries need to balance within the rules.

That's probably crazy, and the details would be a nightmare. But it's something to chew on.

The complication is that Carmelo still has a no-trade clause, and I'm not sure if he agrees to go to the Spurs unless they will immediately waive him. So he could be an expiring to balance out salaries but he wouldn't be a reason the Spurs did a deal like this.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Kirby Brian wrote:
We all know lebron is afraid of taking clutch shots, where as Melo, on the other hand, wouldn't mind take the shot

That was a criticism that was valid about Lebron 6 or 7 years ago,

It still is. To those that watched this year's finals and watched him pass when Curry was switched onto defending him.
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject:

"Perhaps", if we go with Kuz and Bron at the 3 and 4, with Melo backing them up.

BI at the 2. Then with Stephenson, Hart, Pope being a log jam backing up BI at the 2 we sure would have depth. But with injuries guys like this will get more playing time.

Melo for a vet min I sure would consider, but is'nt it up to Bron at this time?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Kirby Brian wrote:
We all know lebron is afraid of taking clutch shots, where as Melo, on the other hand, wouldn't mind take the shot

It still is. To those that watched this year's finals and watched him pass when Curry was switched onto defending him.

You're really going to be miserable the next few years with LBJ, another max FA, the kids, and trips deep into the playoffs, huh?
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject:

No NO NO.

Not unless we can unload Deng and receive draft picks back, and still keep our young core plus LeBron. And even at that only if he takes Deng's exact role from last year; namely, sitting in the locker room during all games.

Not in a million friggin' years do I want Melo on this team.

Reasons? Mostly just about every aspect of his basketball game, and every intangible that could be put into words regarding how well he would fit on this Laker team, all for the price of only $28 million or so.
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I am not a salary cap guy or a wannabe GM. However, it seems to me that there might be an opportunity here for a three way trade involving the Spurs. OKC gets Deng and thus cap relief, the Spurs get Anthony and thus an expiring contract, we get Leonard. We would need to toss in some additional assets and cash, of course. The Spurs are going to want value, and the salaries need to balance within the rules.

That's probably crazy, and the details would be a nightmare. But it's something to chew on.

The complication is that Carmelo still has a no-trade clause, and I'm not sure if he agrees to go to the Spurs unless they will immediately waive him. So he could be an expiring to balance out salaries but he wouldn't be a reason the Spurs did a deal like this.

Funny - but very next day after PG signed with them I was waiting for 'Melo shoe to drop and it was my first thought. But I immediately understood that 2 teams out of this 3 team trade will say 'no' + Melo would veto it too. OKC doesn't benefit from it on the long run: Melo's stretch is $9mln for 3 years, while Deng is $7mln for 5 years (so - they will be paying lux taxes longer). The Spurs can consummate very same deal with the Lakers (at least - for now) without salary matching (for instance - BI + Hart + picks straight up for Kawhi). Why would they want to pay 'Melo and get the same deal?

The Lakers would say "yes"
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject:

I just worked out the math and a hypothetical Deng for Melo swap straight up would save OKC around $50M.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject:

I want OKC to suck next year, and with Melo they will suck next year. Why take losses next year by taking Melo off their hands so OKC can actually improve? Just say no to Melo.
2017 Summer League Champs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
I just worked out the math and a hypothetical Deng for Melo swap straight up would save OKC around $50M.

Do they save more on a Deng swap or by simply stretching Melo?
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject:

2017 Summer League Champs wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Do they save more on a Deng swap or by simply stretching Melo?

They save WAY more by stretching him. $85-$86M ish
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
.@ramonashelburne to @KellyIkoNBA and @FusaroESPN, when asked about Carmelo Anthony and the Lakers: "I don't see it. ... I think he'd be more an option for the #Rockets."

https://twitter.com/BenDuBose/status/1015339100398870529
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:
.@ramonashelburne to @KellyIkoNBA and @FusaroESPN, when asked about Carmelo Anthony and the Lakers: "I don't see it. ... I think he'd be more an option for the #Rockets."

He'd definitely fit their ugly, iso system perfectly. That's for sure.
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject:

You guys are upset about not getting Melo? He doesn't even fit within the roster. James, Ingram, Kuzma all play before him. He doesn't want a bench role. Its either Houston or Miami.
Dumhead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject:

I'm happy for Melo to go elsewhere.
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

You're wrong.

Assuming conditions are identical (respective stretch of 3 years for Melo and 5 - for Deng; OKC is almost for sure lux tax payer for as long as you can see - thx to RW super-max, PG and Adams' deal) OKC pays more than $33mln in lux taxes + $9mln in salary to Deng vs. Melo.

pls check your math
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Kirby Brian wrote:

He's hit a plethora of huge shots in his career, even in the playoffs and the Finals, but he's afraid of taking last second shots?

You're just as bad as the people who act like Randle hasn't improved since entering the league. Yep, I went there.
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:

I'm not gonna even trip if this happened.
CalisFinest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject:

I feel like it's a win-win if we're able to trade Deng for Melo. Obviously I worry about Melo's on the court ability, but I definitely think it's in our best interest to be proactive in shedding Deng's salary. OKC can try to buyout Deng and then stretch the rest, albeit it will be 2 extra years.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject:

golakersgo121 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

You're wrong.

Assuming conditions are identical (respective stretch of 3 years for Melo and 5 - for Deng; OKC is almost for sure lux tax payer for as long as you can see - thx to RW super-max, PG and Adams' deal) OKC pays more than $33mln in lux taxes + $9mln in salary to Deng vs. Melo.

pls check your math

My math is right. Thats the math with neither being stretched, and just what they save on the tax bill. When you compare stretching them both it only saves them $8M on the tax bill. Deng would be $7.3 for 5 years against the bill and Melo would be $9.3M for 3 years.

I spent a lot of time with this spreadsheet, so let me know what other scenarios I can run for you.
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
MJST wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Kirby Brian wrote:

He's hit a plethora of huge shots in his career, even in the playoffs and the Finals, but he's afraid of taking last second shots?

You're just as bad as the people who act like Randle hasn't improved since entering the league. Yep, I went there.

Prepare for an essay.
Superlaker66
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Hell NO!!!

We need a big, not a logjam.

epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject:

Superlaker66 wrote:
Hell NO!!!

We need a big, not a logjam.

Yea. Heck no to long essays!
PostMalone24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject:

Guy is such a liability on defense I mean sure would I love to have him just to catch , and shoot 3's yes, but I think his defense is just to tragic to have him on the lakers squad.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject:

I'm upset that we don't have a starting center.

We passed on Boogie, Dwight, DeAndre. Noel... Looks like Brook may not come... I'm just trying to figure out what the game plan is.

I thought maybe Melo was it... which isn't a good game plan but it would make sense considering LBJ's previous moves... but now I'm even more at a loss for what we are doing.

I'm just hoping we'll be pleasantly surprised with the final move... but I'm beginning to lose hope.

If we can get a good center... I think we can make a long run in the playoffs but unless Zubac has gone up 50% during his European tour... and Moe makes a quantum leap in physical development by the start of the season... it might become our Achilles heel.

I would only be disappointed because plenty of good one year options were available.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 4 of 19
Jump to: