OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6152, 6153, 6154 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Who’s our Marcus banks out there.

Jaden Springer
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Who’s our Marcus banks out there.

Forget that ... where's our Misan Nikagbatse

What about Devean George for Bender + 17th pick?

LOL
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
epic_ wrote:
https://t.co/OojcsK9uiP?amp=1

Great FA preview from Emplay.
I never would have guessed that Lonzo would be predicted to make more than Dennis. Crazy 🌎

Estimating Dennis at $18-24M.

I don't see any support or rationale for the various salary projections. Frankly, this strikes me as glorified clickbait.

I've produced material like this. My guess is after he wrote the piece he spent 10 minutes filling in salary projections off the top of his head. I doubt a lot of deep thinking or analysis went into it. It's a column meant to be skimmed on a Wednesday, and forgotten by Friday.

Emplay is usually top notch when it comes to monitoring the Free Agency game cause he knows a lot about how the cap works, I have no idea why people don’t seem to enjoy his work, let’s not let the Johnathan Bender gate get in the way of his hard work he does for us and the NBA fans.

I see him as a pretty standard blogger who is just rewriting all the rumors and conventional wisdom floating around the Internet.

I rarely read his stuff, except in this case when someone posts a link to it, because by the time he gets around to writing about something it seems like old news to me.

He seems the standard Internet journalist. He churns out a ton of stuff, so it's all pretty superficial; his ideal audience is LGers who want some news tidbit to justify repeating an opinion they've said many times before.

He doesn't really want to be a reporter, because to do that well takes a lot of time and work, but wants to be viewed as an expert who gives his spin on the latest news of day.

Personally, I find most of his thoughts on about the same level as a lot of things people post on LG.

I'm not bashing the guy. He has an audience for what he does. It's just that what he does -- churn out quick-and-dirty material to feed the Internet beast for fans who are lusting for rumors, whether or not there is any validity to them -- doesn't interest me.
Chick's Magic Johnson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
epic_ wrote:

I never would have guessed that Lonzo would be predicted to make more than Dennis. Crazy 🌎

I don't see any support or rationale for the various salary projections. Frankly, this strikes me as glorified clickbait.

I've produced material like this. My guess is after he wrote the piece he spent 10 minutes filling in salary projections off the top of his head. I doubt a lot of deep thinking or analysis went into it. It's a column meant to be skimmed on a Wednesday, and forgotten by Friday.

Emplay is usually top notch when it comes to monitoring the Free Agency game cause he knows a lot about how the cap works, I have no idea why people don’t seem to enjoy his work, let’s not let the Johnathan Bender gate get in the way of his hard work he does for us and the NBA fans.

I see him as a pretty standard blogger who is just rewriting all the rumors and conventional wisdom floating around the Internet.

I rarely read his stuff, except in this case when someone posts a link to it, because by the time he gets around to writing about something it seems like old news to me.

He seems the standard Internet journalist. He churns out a ton of stuff, so it's all pretty superficial; his ideal audience is LGers who want some news tidbit to justify repeating an opinion they've said many times before.

He doesn't really want to be a reporter, because to do that well takes a lot of time and work, but wants to be viewed as an expert who gives his spin on the latest news of day.

Personally, I find most of his thoughts on about the same level as a lot of things people post on LG.

I'm not bashing the guy. He has an audience for what he does. It's just that what he does -- churn out quick-and-dirty material to feed the Internet beast for fans who are lusting for rumors, whether or not there is any validity to them -- doesn't interest me.

Damn, bro. I believe when you say that "rarely read his stuff," because I think you're totally wrong on him. He's a capologist and a pretty damn good one. He doesn't really break news very often, but he's fairly plugged in and appears on NBATV to discuss the cap and player acquisitions. In that article, his estimates and rankings for the FAs are based mostly on the contracts in play. I get it, because he writes for bleacher report, but he's most definitely not a hack.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
epic_ wrote:

Tough crowd.
I figured he based it off his estimated cap and used past FAs numbers to estimate % of cap that players usually sign for.

If he actually did use that as a methodology, it would have been a good idea to explain it. My guess -- and I admit this is only a guess -- is that you are assuming more analysis went into it than it actually did.

Honestly, there is a pretty big range in some of his predictions; I think most knowledgeable fans could burp out a similar list in 10 minutes.

Of course, people will be able to check him for accuracy after people sign contracts. My guess is he'll get some right, some wrong, but overall the accuracy won't be anything astounding.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject:

Chick's Magic Johnson wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
epic_ wrote:

Damn, bro. I believe when you say that "rarely read his stuff," because I think you're totally wrong on him. He's a capologist and a pretty damn good one. He doesn't really break news very often, but he's fairly plugged in and appears on NBATV to discuss the cap and player acquisitions. In that article, his estimates and rankings for the FAs are based mostly on the contracts in play. I get it, because he writes for bleacher report, but he's most definitely not a hack.

I candidly admit I lost interest in his work a long time ago. I see his stuff every now and then, but, like the article we're talking about, it never makes me want to read him more frequently.

It's cool if you like him.

He seems to know the cap pretty well. I guess that in itself is impressive to some people since a lot of bloggers don't seem to understand it at all.

I don't listen to podcasts or watch videos of talking heads because I find it such an inefficient way to get information. I've found the average 30 minute video provides the same amount of information I can get from a
3 minutes skimming an article.

But honestly, 98% of sportswriting is a waste of time. Very little of it is well written. The vast majority of it is at a very trivial level, probably because there really isn't all that much to say.

Again, if he provides you with entertainment, I'm happy.
Chick's Magic Johnson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
epic_ wrote:

I candidly admit I lost interest in his work a long time ago. I see his stuff every now and then, but, like the article we're talking about, it never makes me want to read him more frequently.

He seems to know the cap pretty well. I guess that in itself is impressive to some people since a lot of bloggers don't seem to understand it at all.

I don't listen to podcasts or watch videos of talking heads because I find it such an inefficient way to get information. I've found the average 30 minute video provides the same amount of information I can get from a

I'm not like a stan or anything and you certainly don't have to read him, but he's actually reasonably well-sourced and does a great job with the cap. He's also a poster on here. There's so much garbage journalism out there, I just don't think he's among it.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject:

I'm not like a stan or anything and you certainly don't have to read him, but he's actually reasonably well-sourced and does a great job with the cap. He's also a poster on here. There's so much garbage journalism out there, I just don't think he's among it.

I have no idea if he's well sourced or not. Everything I've seen from him is sourced by either linking to other reporters or to anonymous sources, who rarely say anything earth-shattering.

That said, that's pretty standard for Internet sports reporting.

I really see him as someone who is just opining on the news of the day, rather than someone who is reporting anything new.

OK, I've spent more time talking about this than I should have, and now it's time to move onto other things. If anyone else continues this discussion, or responds to one of my posts on this topic, excuse me in advance if I don't check back in on this to participate further.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
epic_ wrote:

But honestly, 98% of sportswriting is a waste of time. Very little of it is well written. The vast majority of it is at a very trivial level, probably because there really isn't all that much to say.

I share the same sentiments. I remember Emplay on this site back in the early 2000s... how excited he was to write for one of the bball sites, then LA times... now Bleacher?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

I don't even remember the Johnathan Bender thing, whatever it was. Eric is a glorified blogger. There are lots of them. He knows something about the salary cap, but so do a lot of people on this board. I click on one of his pieces every now and then, and I find them to be of mixed quality. Back in the day, Eric did actual reporting. These days, he is basically trying to be a pundit. That's fine, but when he tosses out a bunch of salary numbers without any support, it's just clickbait.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject:

What’s with the emplay slander? It wasn’t too long ago that a manager was candid and said they made a trade after reading a hoopshype rumor that a player was available. I don’t think I’ve ever disagreed with anything emplay has written, since it’s “our” spin on free agency, and I feel he reps all of us.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Speaking of Marcus banks, any chance to pry Marcus smart away or maybe S&t ds plus for jaylen brown.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Been catching up on the last few pages. My thoughts:

Irving is not getting traded. KD wants him there and the results when the 3 of them are together speaks for itself.

Virtually zero chance Ben Simmons is a Laker. If he's traded, there will be a bidding war for him.

Udoka is a good hire IMO but I have no idea how you pass on Carslisle.
Mark10 45
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject:

some teams will pass on Carslile because he's difficult... valid enough reason imo. great coach though
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Celtics seem to have a thing for young coaches, why? They need a veteran coach to get Brown and Tatum that extra edge young coaches are to laid back for my liking.

Yeah, they should do what the Pelicans did and overspend on Stan Van Gundy.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
What’s with the emplay slander? It wasn’t too long ago that a manager was candid and said they made a trade after reading a hoopshype rumor that a player was available. I don’t think I’ve ever disagreed with anything emplay has written, since it’s “our” spin on free agency, and I feel he reps all of us.

For me it’s the market is so saturated that no one breaks or knows anything so the whole lot of writers have to manufacture made up deals. Unfortunately this isn’t a fiction medium.

So now stories aren’t based in evidence or knowledge they are simply hypotheticals. Which is fine, it’s content but it’s absolutely no different than Kobe 2.0 outlandish claims. It’s just packaged better.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I don't even remember the Johnathan Bender thing, whatever it was. Eric is a glorified blogger. There are lots of them. He knows something about the salary cap, but so do a lot of people on this board. I click on one of his pieces every now and then, and I find them to be of mixed quality. Back in the day, Eric did actual reporting. These days, he is basically trying to be a pundit. That's fine, but when he tosses out a bunch of salary numbers without any support, it's just clickbait.

Yeah dude, they're projections based on available cap space for the league. Are you upset he hasn't written something like "I talked to every GM in the league and got what they're prepared to offer free agents." No one has that intel. I got news for you man, most stuff out there is "clickbait" and not based on anything more than having spoken to 1 or 2 GMs, if any at all. Even the most connected guys in the league, Woj and Chams, are usually talking out of their ass.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Yeah dude, they're projections based on available cap space for the league. Are you upset he hasn't written something like "I talked to every GM in the league and got what they're prepared to offer free agents." No one has that intel. I got news for you man, most stuff out there is "clickbait" and not based on anything more than having spoken to 1 or 2 GMs, if any at all. Even the most connected guys in the league, Woj and Chams, are usually talking out of their ass.

These are "projections based on available cap space for the league"? If so, I'd be interested in seeing his reasoning. Naw, these are just numbers that he plucked out of the air. Someone called it a great article. It's just clickbait.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:

Irving is not getting traded. KD wants him there and the results when the 3 of them are together speaks for itself.

Virtually zero chance Ben Simmons is a Laker. If he's traded, there will be a bidding war for him.

No way were they hiring an old white guy after Ainge's comments.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
2019 wrote:

According to jWill this the first black head coach of Celtics
LGFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
2019 wrote:

token diversity hire. he will be fired in 2 years and boston will happily continue with their white coach tradition
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject:

LGFan wrote:
Halflife wrote:
2019 wrote:

token diversity hire. he will be fired in 2 years and boston will happily continue with their white coach tradition

Doc rivers, Russell are black
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

These are "projections based on available cap space for the league"? If so, I'd be interested in seeing his reasoning. Naw, these are just numbers that he plucked out of the air. Someone called it a great article. It's just clickbait.

Yeah, he should've said "I looked at the available cap space of each team." Now we can only assume he just opened up a document and blindly punched at numbers.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
LGFan wrote:
Halflife wrote:
2019 wrote:

Doc rivers, Russell are black

Lol i don't like Boston either, but some people really going out of their way here.
coldzim
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

Bill Russell, KC Jones, Doc Rivers.

All won titles.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6152, 6153, 6154 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 6153 of 8560
Jump to: