OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7015, 7016, 7017 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laker_guerilla
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Lakersfan1211 wrote:
Does this mean we got 1 two-way avail spot?

Yes. I want Cam Oliver to get that. I also wouldn't mind if Chaundee Brown beat out Ayayi
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject:

Bottom line the FO is sold on the 13….the 14th player whether it was Ennis or whoever wasn’t going to get much run if at all. They believe Bron, Ariza, THT and Baze can handle the 3……and AD, Bron, Melo and Ariza can handle the 4. I’m good with this roster because I want THT, Monk, Nunn to get a real chance to shine.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
Lakers save $3m by signing Reaves instead of a vet min player.

There it is.

No other reason to give Austin a 2 year deal over a two way contract

Nah, that isn’t accurate.

Quote:

For players who signed as free agents (i.e., not draft picks), and make less than the two-year minimum salary, the minimum salary for a two-year veteran is used in place of their actual salary.

For minimum salary players whose salary is partially paid by the league (see question number 11) only the amount paid by the team (the two-year minimum salary) is taxed.

Ennis or another vet on a one-year minimum deal would have cost the same in tax.

Last edited by Laker's Fan on Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/magicjohnson/status/1442283181810458625?s=21

Magic! You traitor!!
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject:

Reeves will be a partial guarantee, doesn’t that means we can sign 2 players in buyout market if he does not pan out. Rooting for the kid though, we need another Caruso to blossom.
Swagron12
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
Guess James Ennis bombed his Lakers workout.

His value was overblown here anyway.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject:

Swagron12 wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

He remains unemployed but the Lakers FO will still get flack for agreeing with the other 29 GMs.

The man clearly has NBA talent and sometimes to those end of the roster guys can slip through the cracks, even if they can contribute. But there aren't a lot of guys in that position who eventually wind up being major contributors to the point where GMs are kicking themselves for not making the move. But he clearly doesn't move the needle for a lot of teams right now.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

He’s not that good anyways!

James Ennis is a legit solid role player, something doesn’t seem right that the Lakers decided to move on, they could have easily signed Reaves to a non-guaranteed contact while still leaving the roster spot open.

Maybe it's because they are watching Austin Reaves in practices and so forth, and know more than the fans?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
James Ennis is a legit solid role player, something doesn’t seem right that the Lakers decided to move on, they could have easily signed Reaves to a non-guaranteed contact while still leaving the roster spot open.

Maybe it's because they are watching Austin Reaves in practices and so forth, and know more than the fans?

Yep. The whole league is taking a pass on Ennis. He had a pretty good career for someone who was never better than below average. The Lakers went for a guy who might have upside. Why not?
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:31 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
2019 wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:

There it is.

Quote:

For players who signed as free agents (i.e., not draft picks), and make less than the two-year minimum salary, the minimum salary for a two-year veteran is used in place of their actual salary.

For minimum salary players whose salary is partially paid by the league (see question number 11) only the amount paid by the team (the two-year minimum salary) is taxed.

Ennis or another vet on a one-year minimum deal would have cost the same in tax.

The Lakers still save about $1.4 million, right? The tax is the same, but there is a difference between the minimum salary of an eight year vet (Ennis) vs. that of a rookie. So maybe the question for the Lakers was whether Ennis was worth the extra money, and apparently the answer is no.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject:

Swagron12 wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

the hype on a guy who had one fluky semi-decent season and no one else bothered to sign was kind of fun.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:42 pm    Post subject:

Everything over the second year Min ($1.67m) is paid by the league and that subsidy is also not taxed. So the difference is pittance. Almost certainly had no bearing on choosing Reaves.

Ennis probably wasn’t going to play over Tucker, Baze and Ariza. Seems in particular like the Lakers want Tucker to play a lot. The Lakers do however have a need to build a development pipeline. They got someone they liked to develop in an everyday basis with the team, plus now they have another two-way spot to work with.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:53 pm    Post subject:

joeblow wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
2019 wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:

There it is.

Quote:

The Lakers still save about $1.4 million, right? The tax is the same, but there is a difference between the minimum salary of an eight year vet (Ennis) vs. that of a rookie. So maybe the question for the Lakers was whether Ennis was worth the extra money, and apparently the answer is no.

I'd rather roll the dice on Reaves being another Caruso. Odds are maybe 1 in 50, but still, that's how you should use the end of your bench. Low-risk, high reward asset development. Ennis is 31 years old and unlikely to replicate his slightly-above-whatever season from last year. He was unlikely to even get minutes ahead of the dozen vets we've already ostensibly promised minutes to. The cost benefit is secondary (though maybe most important to Jeanie). Lakers made the right move here.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:14 pm    Post subject:

^^^ After giving Ennis several up-close looks, I believe the decision makers made the best choice they could in not picking him up. I still trust the big brains that won us a ring the season before last.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:14 am    Post subject:

If Ennis was a good 3 and D guy he wouldn’t be sitting on the shelf right now looking for a minimum deal. Only thing I knew about him was he apparently shot 40+% from 3 last season and was SF sized, but apparently that was a bit of a fluky season and I have to trust that 30 teams know more than we do
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:11 am    Post subject:

The legend of James Ennis.....
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:00 am    Post subject:

When I watched Ennis videos based on the hype he had here, I found him to be someone that would give you the exact same things Ariza was supposed to, and definitely the same things that you want from Melo.

With Melo and Ariza, what would have been Ennis' role? In contrast with Reaves may be a development player the Lakers feel they can get something from a year from now. They took on Caruso, and 2 years later he was a near starter. They took on THT, and 2 years later, he is now a guy they look at to play a big role (and has been paid big time). They may see something in Reaves, for the longrun.

Roster balance we definitely have way too many guards, but I would be surprised if we played Austin, any more than occasional spells here and there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:46 am    Post subject:

On Sunday, the Lakers reached agreement on a two-year deal with guard Austin Reaves, converting his two-way contract to a standard NBA deal ahead of training camp. The Lakers will have a team option on the second year of Reaves‘ contract, sources said. Reaves, a 6-foot-5 combo guard, has impressed the Lakers throughout the offseason and had a strong showing at James’ minicamp. James and Westbrook even had the rookie conduct some fun-loving errands throughout the weekend in Vegas.

Per Shams and Amick in the Athletic article. Reeves impressed in the mini camp in Vegas.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:39 am    Post subject:

If we had a second round draft pick all the Ennis fan would be quiet. Reeves was suppose to be a second rounder, just think of it as is having a second round last draft and we just signed him. If he impressed LBJ then he must be a smart player, hoping he works out.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:45 am    Post subject:

Quote:
and had a strong showing at James’ minicamp. James and Westbrook even had the rookie conduct some fun-loving errands throughout the weekend in Vegas.

Just in case there was any doubt about who is really calling the shots . . . .
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject:

Adding another G is an interesting move. I still think the weak link of the roster is another C/PF.

Using the same “development” reasoning that is being used for Reaves as the 14th spot. The current C/PF depth is questionable and needs fresh legs to develop over the aging players on one year contracts or “playing up” a position.

Just one of the top 5 projected (Jordan, Howard, Davis, James, Anthony?) gets injured or sits out and it creates a domino effect issue with mpg. Do you see all of them playing all 82?

But at least we have enough guards to get the job done.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Quote:
and had a strong showing at James’ minicamp. James and Westbrook even had the rookie conduct some fun-loving errands throughout the weekend in Vegas.

So LeKlutch has that much power?!
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
joeblow wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
2019 wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:

There it is.

Quote:

I'd rather roll the dice on Reaves being another Caruso. Odds are maybe 1 in 50, but still, that's how you should use the end of your bench. Low-risk, high reward asset development. Ennis is 31 years old and unlikely to replicate his slightly-above-whatever season from last year. He was unlikely to even get minutes ahead of the dozen vets we've already ostensibly promised minutes to. The cost benefit is secondary (though maybe most important to Jeanie). Lakers made the right move here.

Yeah, the end of the bench (14/15 roster spots) should ideally be left for reclamation projects and/or in-house projects. I like the signing, but if the narrative is that they see him as a THT/Caruso type situation, it’s even more mind boggling why they didn’t at the very least earmark out the 925k from the mMLE to give dude a 3yr deal in order to gain his full bird rights. That, or they could have waited a week into the season (Oct 26th) to give Reaves the prorated based 890k we left behind from the mMLE and then get that 3rd year included into his deal. We were allowed a 2 week window to have a minimum of 13 active players on the roster with at least 1 inactive players (Ayayi and/or a 2nd 2-way signed). I would have preferred dude to be locked up on a lengthy team friendly deal as a developmental asset.

As for money saved...I don’t understand how fans aren’t viewing it any different. The Lakers absolutely saved money with these moves. Reaves will make 925k as opposed to the 1.7m cap hit a 2+ seasoned player would have made. It’s true that luxury taxes would not have been any different between a rookie min or a vet min player, but the waiving of McKinnie’s 1.9m nonguaranteed deal and essentially replacing it with a 925k rookie min deal is a savings. Especially when you consider that a nonguaranteed deal still prorates and applies towards the luxury tax even if waived before the guaranteed trigger date of Jan 10th (ie would have to be placed on waivers by Jan 7th).

Also this whole prioritizing Marc last season as essentially a 5.4m player to only “disgruntle” him and trade him away in a salary dump using a 2nd rounder is another cost cutting move. No matter how you want to swing it, that was a 2.7m cap hit replaced by a 1.7m cap hit along with the associated tax savings.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:06 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Nets’ Kyrie Irving will not be at Media Day today in Brooklyn due to health and safety protocols, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium.

I appreciate Kyrie for ruining the Celtics, and now it looks like he is well on his way to ruining the Nets.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Quote:

Nothing wrong with a little rookie hazing. I’m just surprised they could find any errands for him to do. I would have thought Klutch/ James had enough “gofers”. They must have been creative to come up with something new.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7015, 7016, 7017 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 7016 of 8560
Jump to: