OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7042, 7043, 7044 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
Quote:
Jabari Young: Adam Silver just now at SBJ conference: The bundle is “broken” …and with that… fair to say #NBA really rethinking how it’s TV/steaming distribution future will look as RSNs aren’t in great shape. #Sportsbiz – via Twitter JabariJYoung

Have you been following this closely enough to be able to translate it? I'm not sure what that means.

Not sure if it’s what Silver is talking about, but the hallmark of Cable TV economics is bundle pricing, and regional networks run through that “cord”. Consumers are increasingly balking at that structure. The NBA blacks out teams in-region to preserve the local TV market, but at some point they could look to go consumer direct (already have League Pass. Just need to end the blackouts and invest in coverage content). I think they’d prefer to let the networks handle that and just get the HBO model. But that would require a major shift from regional networks.

Oh, I get it now. I didn't understand what "bundle" meant in this context.

If the NBA turns to a streaming or PPV type of broadcasting what would that do to the regional networks? Some franchises would be in much better shape while a team like the Lakers might lose revenue. A red zone type of channel would be an interesting idea. We have had this discussion here before but the Lakers and TWC really dropped the ball with Sportsnet. 24 hour Laker programming would more than likely bring more viewers, now people tune in for a game then tune out.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject:

alleyoop wrote:
I was surprised BKN waived him, still very young and raw. Probably the best player out there that suits our current needs, given Ariza is out

Really glad to have him, was sure he’d get a normal contract

He can’t be more than a “maybe after another year of Gleague” guy. I would be astonished if he gets any minutes at all.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
From what I’ve watched, he looks really rough. No real feel. Can barely dribble. Every highlight is him finishing an open fast break or putback or a 3 (which i don’t expect to be reliable).

I’d put him slightly below the Giannis brother we had.

You can’t underestimate the fact that this guy was a lottery pick and Kostas wasn’t, Kostas has no NBA playing talent, Sekou does, he just needs to be around better leaders and development system.

There is a special NBA graveyard for guys that were drafted purely on measurables. Telling that two teams with strong developmental backgrounds didn’t waste any time waiving him.

Plus he wasn’t a lottery pick
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
From what I’ve watched, he looks really rough. No real feel. Can barely dribble. Every highlight is him finishing an open fast break or putback or a 3 (which i don’t expect to be reliable).

I’d put him slightly below the Giannis brother we had.

Young players like Sekou usually don't get to show their full talents as they defer to their teammates and fill a role as spot shooter, cutters, rim running.

Here he shows you his handles where he is not deferring. Yes it is Gleauge but the skill is there.

Kostas never showed much talent besides being athletic.

Yeah, no comparison to Kostas in the slightest imo.. He was a clear lost cause and never did I have any hope he'd progress into an actual NBA worthy player.

Sekou otoh has some legitimate potential with elite ish level measurables and is only 20. This is a perfect player for a 2 way that can learn from our coaching staff and players while probably only actually playing in some blowouts and g league games this season. Since we have extremely limited draft capital for the foreseeable future these moves are huge.

Hopefully they upgrade Brown to a 2 way as well and drop Ayayi back to just G League. Brown, Sekou and especially HBK are all great potential guys worth rolling the dice on in there extremely low risk roster spots.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
It took injuries, but this is smart for young, wing defense.

He will add value on the defensive end.

Yeah, it took injuries to force the hand of the front office, but I'm glad they are finally puling the trigger on a (potential) wing defender with size. Once it's official I can finally stop pathetically begging for it to happen.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
Quote:
Jabari Young: Adam Silver just now at SBJ conference: The bundle is “broken” …and with that… fair to say #NBA really rethinking how it’s TV/steaming distribution future will look as RSNs aren’t in great shape. #Sportsbiz – via Twitter JabariJYoung

Have you been following this closely enough to be able to translate it? I'm not sure what that means.

Not sure if it’s what Silver is talking about, but the hallmark of Cable TV economics is bundle pricing, and regional networks run through that “cord”. Consumers are increasingly balking at that structure. The NBA blacks out teams in-region to preserve the local TV market, but at some point they could look to go consumer direct (already have League Pass. Just need to end the blackouts and invest in coverage content). I think they’d prefer to let the networks handle that and just get the HBO model. But that would require a major shift from regional networks.

Oh, I get it now. I didn't understand what "bundle" meant in this context.

If the NBA turns to a streaming or PPV type of broadcasting what would that do to the regional networks? Some franchises would be in much better shape while a team like the Lakers might lose revenue. A red zone type of channel would be an interesting idea. We have had this discussion here before but the Lakers and TWC really dropped the ball with Sportsnet. 24 hour Laker programming would more than likely bring more viewers, now people tune in for a game then tune out.

Whichever path the NBA decides on I truly believe when you make your product more difficult to consume for the average income fan then their corresponding support will fall off and possibly extend to the following familial generations. This has occurred in my household where there is very little interest in local sports programming which has turned to PPV. I also don't believe it is the $'s per se but just the hassle of having to sign up for a package or specific games plus there are so many options for entertainment now available. Likewise attendance at these events have seen a dramatic decrease year over year.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
In regards to Sekou, I find it hard to draw much from stats where players are given minimal and sporadic playing time with most likely a multitude of line ups.

That’s fair, but bear in mind that he started 30 games over two seasons for the Pistons.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

I doubt that they’d mess with the contracts for the Lakers and Knicks.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject:

What exactly is a 2 way deal? Does that mean he can play on both the Lakers and their G league or just their G league?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
What exactly is a 2 way deal? Does that mean he can play on both the Lakers and their G league or just their G league?

https://gleague.nba.com/nba-g-league-101-two-way-contracts/
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

Some changes due to COVID.

They can play both but are limited to 50 NBA games.

Their pay is over $460,000 which is considerably more than a normal Gleague player.

Players must have less than 4 years NBA experience.

They do not count against an NBA roster or salary cap.

Btw Reaves can also play for both teams despite having a regular contract.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

Some changes due to COVID.

They can play both but are limited to 50 NBA games.

Their pay is over $460,000 which is considerably more than a normal Gleague player.

Players must have less than 4 years NBA experience.

They do not count against an NBA roster or salary cap.

Btw Reaves can also play for both teams despite having a regular contract.

Thank you.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject:

$460G, respect that
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject:

Btw, what would be a plausible scenarios had we not swing for WB?
Gotta resign DS since we already above cap or replace him with mini MLE
THT and AC prob turn out the same since again we above cap
Assuming we also convinced Montrezl to S&T, him+Kuz+KCP+pick, who can we realistically trade for beside WB? Couldn’t get Lowry, so one is Buddy Hield, who else?
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Assuming we also convinced Montrezl to S&T, him+Kuz+KCP+pick, who can we realistically trade for beside WB? Couldn’t get Lowry, so one is Buddy Hield, who else?

I would have been fine re-signing Caruso, keeping Kuz/KCP, dumping Schroeder, and using the mini-MLE to sign a guy like Otto Porter Jr and vet min pickups we made.

We needed wing size / outside shooting more than anything. You didn't need to blow up the squad. You bring back that same group with an add on the wing and you're probably better off.

You can run:

LBJ - PG
SG - KCP
SF - Otto Porter Jr.
PF - AD
C - whoever or move Otto Porter to PF/AD to C and slide up THT

That lineup has much better spacing and defense, you'd still have Caruso/Kuz/THT/Monk/Dwight etc. off the bench.

To me that team is much better. You'd also be able to move Trezz on a value contract for additional assets or another role player that fit better.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject:

BandwagonLBJhopper wrote:
governator wrote:

I would have been fine re-signing Caruso, keeping Kuz/KCP, dumping Schroeder, and using the mini-MLE to sign a guy like Otto Porter Jr and vet min pickups we made.

We needed wing size / outside shooting more than anything. You didn't need to blow up the squad. You bring back that same group with an add on the wing and you're probably better off.

You can run:

LBJ - PG
SG - KCP
SF - Otto Porter Jr.
PF - AD
C - whoever or move Otto Porter to PF/AD to C and slide up THT

That lineup has much better spacing and defense, you'd still have Caruso/Kuz/THT/Monk/Dwight etc. off the bench.

To me that team is much better. You'd also be able to move Trezz on a value contract for additional assets or another role player that fit better.

You know that old saying; If it's not broken don't try to fix it!
The Lakers will struggle off the block and may even play under .500 for the first 20 games. Imho they will pick it up sometime late December and may hold up to end 6th or 7th in the playoff rankings. As a GM you have to listen to your star players and in this case the agent associated with them, however there's a point where you have step in and say this is not what we think will work. Pelinka, Rambis and company are puppets of Rich Paul and Klutch sports.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

Give Patty Mills the contract you gave to Kendrick Nunn. Nets didn’t know they weren’t gonna have Kyrie, so we could have offered a bigger/starting role at the time.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:

Assuming we also convinced Montrezl to S&T,

Just one correction: Montrezl wasn't a sign and trade.

He exercised his player's option, because he knew no one would pay him more.

At that point, he wasn't just a player under contract who we could trade to anyone we wanted.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
governator wrote:

At that point, he wasn't just a player under contract who we could trade to anyone we wanted.

True but same principle. He coulda just signed with Wiz for a 1 yr MLE and call it a day but he did us a solid
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
activeverb wrote:
governator wrote:

True but same principle. He coulda just signed with Wiz for a 1 yr MLE and call it a day but he did us a solid

If any team offered him the full MLE, which probably would have included a second year option for him, he would have taken it.

He opted in, not to do us a solid, but because it was best for him.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
governator wrote:
activeverb wrote:
governator wrote:

If any team offered him the full MLE, which probably would have included a second year option for him, he would have taken it.

He opted in, not to do us a solid, but because it was best for him.

Yeah, at this point I think it's pretty clear Trez is far from a "team guy". He's the modern definition of "empty stats". He talked trash about the Clippers as soon as he left and then did the same about the Lakers now that he's on the Wizards. It's never his fault which is a shame because he absolutely has the talent to be a very productive 2 way role player on a Contender but I doubt we ever see it happen due to his own illusions.
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Bleacher Report (@) BleacherReport
Kyrie Irving will not be offered a contract extension by the Nets moving forward, per @ShamsCharania

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1448410661155786753?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1448410661155786753%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

196 Mil! I'll take 3 Pfizers, 1 J&J and a shot of Moderna.💉💉💉💉💉 I don't think I could lose that kind of money over one vaccine. He doesn’t have bills to pay?

He made his choice and the team made theirs.
🤷🏾‍♂️
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject:

Black20Ice wrote:
Quote:
Bleacher Report -at- BleacherReport
Kyrie Irving will not be offered a contract extension by the Nets moving forward, per @ShamsCharania

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1448410661155786753?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1448410661155786753%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

196 Mil! I'll take 3 Pfizers, 1 J&J and a shot of Moderna.💉💉💉💉💉 I don't think I could lose that kind of money over one vaccine. He doesn’t have bills to pay?

🤷🏾‍♂️

sign me up!!! just another diva, IMO
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject:

Black20Ice wrote:
Quote:
Bleacher Report ( a t ) BleacherReport

🤷🏾‍♂️

I almost don't want to think about what i'd permit to be injected into my body for a tenth of that money.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject:

It’s hilarious how you guys are saying if keeping KCP and others would have been a better choice then getting Westbrook, you guys have been watching basketball since probably when the Lakers were playing during the 1980s and are overreacting to preseason performance, relax these guys have been playing basketball for years and know when to take there game up a notch, if he doesn’t end up being a good fit he will still be better then Schroeder.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7042, 7043, 7044 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 7043 of 8560
Jump to: