OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7044, 7045, 7046 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Many criticisms on roster construction by LeGM/Rob.

Just from another point of view.

Pat Riley would not let Lebron have more say in the direction of the roster. Since leaving Miami LeGM 2 titles Riles ZERO

In LeGM's 3 years as designated Lakers defacto GM as proclaimed by a few posters here:

Masai Ujiri - 1 title
Jon Horst - 1 title
LeGM/Rob - 1 title
27 other GM's ZERO

Sure I don't agree with all the decisions LeGM/Rob has made but what GM has not made questionable moves and fallen under scrutiny of their fan base? The majority here still believe that barring injuries the Lakers were one of the prohibitive favorites to hang banner 18 from the rafters last season.

Am I wrong to say many here were elated with the Harrell and Schroder signings at this time last season? Also lets not put some of the decisions made during Magic's tenure as President of Basketball Ops solely on Rob. Magic had the final say from my understanding. Also no one can understate the job LeGM/Rob did in pulling the Lakers out from the avalanche of ridicule hurled on them by the media when Tragic trashed the Lakers upon his departure.

Who wants to go back to being the Lakers pre-Lebron?

Exactly. LeBron is a good GM with a proven track record. I trust his judgment.
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
scout_0 wrote:
Should of sign Otto .....

We are missing that swiss knife 6"9 athlete

We can’t sign any 1 we want just because that player is intriguing, maybe Porter Jr wanted to play for the Warriors, everyone isn’t gonna line up and play for us just because we are the Lakers.

Otto Porter Jr. signed a 1 year / $2,389,641 contract with the Golden State Warriors

SURE he wanted to play for the minimum
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
In LeGM's 3 years as designated Lakers defacto GM as proclaimed by a few posters here:

Masai Ujiri - 1 title
Jon Horst - 1 title
LeGM/Rob - 1 title
27 other GM's ZERO

Sure I don't agree with all the decisions LeGM/Rob has made but what GM has not made questionable moves and fallen under scrutiny of their fan base? The majority here still believe that barring injuries the Lakers were one of the prohibitive favorites to hang banner 18 from the rafters last season.

Well, if you’re going to look at just three years, then at least 27 GMs are going to have zero titles. You could flip it around and say that in three years we got past the first round once. But of course that has much more to do with injuries than with roster construction. On the other hand, those injuries included Lebron himself. More to the point, I’ve said all along that we’d judge the Lebron window when it’s over, If all we get is the bubble title, I think we’ll look back and shrug. It would be okay, but not great. If we win another title or two, we’ll forget all of the other stuff.

As an aside, the 538 computer model doesn’t like this team much. It projects us at 42-40, ninth in the West. That seems low to me, and I expect almost everyone here to agree. Still, it’s worth remembering that there are reasons to be apprehensive about this season.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Bol wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

Pat Riley would not let Lebron have more say in the direction of the roster. Since leaving Miami LeGM 2 titles Riles ZERO

Masai Ujiri - 1 title
Jon Horst - 1 title
LeGM/Rob - 1 title
27 other GM's ZERO

Am I wrong to say many here were elated with the Harrell and Schroder signings at this time last season? Also lets not put some of the decisions made during Magic's tenure as President of Basketball Ops solely on Rob. Magic had the final say from my understanding. Also no one can understate the job LeGM/Rob did in pulling the Lakers out from the avalanche of ridicule hurled on them by the media when Tragic trashed the Lakers upon his departure.

That’s a little like saying Bill Russell had a proven track record as a coach, because the Celtics won two rings when he was a player-coach.

I’d say the Celtics' success was more about Russell’s contributions as a player than as a coach.

Same with Lebron. You can put all sorts of combinations of players around him and succeed, because he’s such a great player. So even if Lebron advocates for sub-optimal teammates, he can still win.

Would Lebron be a good GM for a team where he was only the GM and not a player. I'm not sur sure about that.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Bol wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

Masai Ujiri - 1 title
Jon Horst - 1 title
LeGM/Rob - 1 title
27 other GM's ZERO

That’s a little like saying Bill Russell had a proven track record as a coach, because the Celtics won two rings when he was a player-coach.

I’d say the Celtics' success was more about Russell’s contributions as a player than as a coach.

Same with Lebron. You can put all sorts of combinations of players around him and succeed, because he’s such a great player. So even if Lebron advocates for sub-optimal teammates, he can still win.

Would Lebron be a good GM for a team where he was only the GM and not a player. I'm not sur sure about that.

Sure what you say is true but if he is going to to be criticized as LeGM for the roster construction then also give LeGM his credit for the success of the Lakers which includes roster construction.

So if Lebron and I will include AD is the primary reasons for the teams success and will win with all sorts of combination of players as you state then what is the true importance of roster construction? Of course I do realize that roster construction does play an important role in how a team performs and I believe you also do so I am just giving LeGM his credit.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Well, if you’re going to look at just three years, then at least 27 GMs are going to have zero titles. You could flip it around and say that in three years we got past the first round once. But of course that has much more to do with injuries than with roster construction. On the other hand, those injuries included Lebron himself. More to the point, I’ve said all along that we’d judge the Lebron window when it’s over, If all we get is the bubble title, I think we’ll look back and shrug. It would be okay, but not great. If we win another title or two, we’ll forget all of the other stuff.

Well he has only been LeGM of the Lakers for 3 years so that is my point of reference. Yes there will be 27 GMs with zero titles but LeGM/Rob is not one of them and that is the point of emphasis I attempted to show.

Yes you have stated before 1 bubble title is a shrug for you but for me that was truly memorable after a drought of 10 years and living in a COVID world. I believe the fan base from the other 29 teams would care less if the title was won in the bubble. How would a looooooong suffering Clipper fan have felt winning their first?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Yes you have stated before 1 bubble title is a shrug for you but for me that was truly memorable after a drought of 10 years and living in a COVID world. I believe the fan base from the other 29 teams would care less if the title was won in the bubble. How would a looooooong suffering Clipper fan have felt winning their first?

Is that our standard? Of course not. There are people in Laker Nation who regard any season without a title as a failure. If we go through a five year Lebron window and get just the bubble title, there will be a lot of people shrugging. It wouldn't have been bad, but it wouldn't be considered anything special by our standards. Maybe you would feel differently.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject:

scout_0 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
scout_0 wrote:

We can’t sign any 1 we want just because that player is intriguing, maybe Porter Jr wanted to play for the Warriors, everyone isn’t gonna line up and play for us just because we are the Lakers.

Otto Porter Jr. signed a 1 year / $2,389,641 contract with the Golden State Warriors

"The Golden State Warriors are signing Otto Porter Jr. for the minimum salary, according to Chris Haynes of Yahoo Sports. Porter reportedly had offers for the mid-level exception but wanted to sign with the Warriors badly enough to accept the minimum"

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-free-agency-2021-warriors-to-sign-otto-porter-jr-for-veterans-minimum-salary-per-report/
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject:

Just saw that Tarik Black is on the Nuggets roster, pretty cool.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

Is that our standard? Of course not. There are people in Laker Nation who regard any season without a title as a failure. If we go through a five year Lebron window and get just the bubble title, there will be a lot of people shrugging. It wouldn't have been bad, but it wouldn't be considered anything special by our standards. Maybe you would feel differently.

I don't set standards when it comes to championships. I just enjoy every one that I experience. Sure I get disappointed if my fav team fails to win the chip be it in the NBA, NFL, MLB but I live for the present and don't dwell on seasons past. I was surely different in my youth but age changes one's perspective.

During my fandom of 50+ years 1 NFL chip, 1 MLB chip and 12 NBA chips. I am just glad I grew up a Laker fan and not become a bitter Clipper. Not directed at you but I had to get that dig in.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Just saw that Tarik Black is on the Nuggets roster, pretty cool.

PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
scout_0 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
scout_0 wrote:

"The Golden State Warriors are signing Otto Porter Jr. for the minimum salary, according to Chris Haynes of Yahoo Sports. Porter reportedly had offers for the mid-level exception but wanted to sign with the Warriors badly enough to accept the minimum"

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-free-agency-2021-warriors-to-sign-otto-porter-jr-for-veterans-minimum-salary-per-report/

Nice find.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Bol wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

Masai Ujiri - 1 title
Jon Horst - 1 title
LeGM/Rob - 1 title
27 other GM's ZERO

Sure what you say is true but if he is going to to be criticized as LeGM for the roster construction then also give LeGM his credit for the success of the Lakers which includes roster construction.

So if Lebron and I will include AD is the primary reasons for the teams success and will win with all sorts of combination of players as you state then what is the true importance of roster construction? Of course I do realize that roster construction does play an important role in how a team performs and I believe you also do so I am just giving LeGM his credit.

But then it's just a guessing game of how much "credit" Lebron actually gets for which decisions.

For all, we know Lebron pushed the bad decisions, and resisted the good ones. Or vice versa.

So just generically giving him credit for being the "GM" doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:40 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
But then it's just a guessing game of how much "credit" Lebron actually gets for which decisions.

For all, we know Lebron pushed the bad decisions, and resisted the good ones. Or vice versa.

So just generically giving him credit for being the "GM" doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Exactly. Couldn't have said it better.

So does giving him credit for being the "bad GM" make any sense to you?
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:42 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:

Masai Ujiri - 1 title
Jon Horst - 1 title
LeGM/Rob - 1 title
27 other GM's ZERO

Am I wrong to say many here were elated with the Harrell and Schroder signings at this time last season? Also lets not put some of the decisions made during Magic's tenure as President of Basketball Ops solely on Rob. Magic had the final say from my understanding. Also no one can overstate the job LeGM/Rob did in pulling the Lakers out from the avalanche of ridicule hurled on them by the media when Tragic trashed the Lakers upon his departure.

Going back to when LeBron left Cleveland for Miami, GM LeBron hasn't had to pay full market rate to acquire Player LeBron.

When he went back to Cleveland, it was as a FA.

When he came to LA, it was as a FA.

I don't know if GM LeBron would have such a dazzling record if he had to work under the constraints that other General Managers are having to work under.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:44 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
activeverb wrote:

With an organization that has as complex and untransparent decision-making as the Lakers, I've never bought into the idea of trying to apportion out precise credit to specific individuals.

Obviously, Lebron exerts a lot of influence. But what has he done exactly? I'm not one of those people who pretends to know things I don't know.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
activeverb wrote:

With an organization that has as complex and untransparent decision-making as the Lakers, I've never bought into the idea of trying to apportion out precise credit to specific individuals.

Obviously, Lebron exerts a lot of influence. But what has he done exactly? I'm not one of those people who pretends to know things I don't know.

Again you echo my sentiments. Never before these last few posts of mine have I alluded to Lebrun being a pseudo GM. Of course I realize he has influence and that Rob consults with him but to what degree I have no idea. However the consensus of the discussion in these threads is to associate roster construction to LeGM with Rob being a flunky of Klutch. Thus I am just being a contrarian to all the criticism directed at Lebron without any true knowledge of how decisions are actually made.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:28 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

Masai Ujiri - 1 title
Jon Horst - 1 title
LeGM/Rob - 1 title
27 other GM's ZERO

Am I wrong to say many here were elated with the Harrell and Schroder signings at this time last season? Also lets not put some of the decisions made during Magic's tenure as President of Basketball Ops solely on Rob. Magic had the final say from my understanding. Also no one can overstate the job LeGM/Rob did in pulling the Lakers out from the avalanche of ridicule hurled on them by the media when Tragic trashed the Lakers upon his departure.

Going back to when LeBron left Cleveland for Miami, GM LeBron hasn't had to pay full market rate to acquire Player LeBron.

I don't know if GM LeBron would have such a dazzling record if he had to work under the constraints that other General Managers are having to work under.

All true. He has his advantages and disadvantages in not being an actual GM.

He exploits the system to his advantage but does so within the governing NBA rules. This is the same system and rules the other 449 rostered players also can exploit. Should he not use all available resources to give his team a competitive advantage?

I am not sure what you mean having to pay for full market rate to acquire Lebron. Did Clips pay full rate for KL? Nets for KD? I mean each team still is constrained by the large salaries superstars command.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:27 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

Masai Ujiri - 1 title
Jon Horst - 1 title
LeGM/Rob - 1 title
27 other GM's ZERO

All true. He has his advantages and disadvantages in not being an actual GM.

He exploits the system to his advantage but does so within the governing NBA rules. This is the same system and rules the other 449 rostered players also can exploit. Should he not use all available resources to give his team a competitive advantage?

I am not sure what you mean having to pay for full market rate to acquire Lebron. Did Clips pay full rate for KL? Nets for KD? I mean each team still is constrained by the large salaries superstars command.

Durant has taken advantage of favorable things such as going to the Warriors when the salary cap had the large jump.

Brooklyn got sort of a good deal getting Durant, but Irving had to be signed as well to get Durant and the Kyrie part is blowing up on them at the moment.

The Clippers got sort of good deal on Leonard, but he demanded another star to join as a condition of him signing. OKC took advantage of the situation and got quite a bit in the trade of Paul George to the Clippers.

Overall, several of the championship teams in recent years have found themselves in favorable situations that helped putting their rosters together.

Warriors -- Thompson, Curry and Green outperformed their cheap contracts which made it easier to spend more on Iguodala etc.

Cleveland -- LeBron joined as a free agent, so they still had enough assets to send out for other players. If they would have had to actually send assets in a trade for LeBron, then there would have been less assets to trade for players.

Warriors -- The salary cap jumped and made it easy to bring Durant in.

Toronto -- Leonard wanted out of San Antonio and the Raptors got a good deal even though it turned out to be a rental.

Lakers -- LeBron joined as a free agent which meant there were enough assets left to trade for Davis

I am not saying that what has been done is illegal, but GM LeBron does have a sizable advantage in being able to acquire Player LeBron as a free agent which means GM LeBron still has assets to work with. If Player LeBron was just a Top 50 or Top 100 player, the impact of him signing as a free agent wouldn't matter so much. Since he has been among the Top players for quite a while, I do have him moving around as a free agent as having quite an impact on the NBA landscape and giving GM LeBron an edge over most other front offices.

I am not saying that using an Edge is wrong, but just pointing out that having an Edge does help such as the ones that the Warriors, Cavs, Raptors etc have had in recent years. Just differentiating between being a front office that has to do things the hard way and those that have some type of Edge.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:55 am    Post subject:

Season predix:

Lakers beat Warriors in the WCF
Nets beat Bucks in ECF

Nets over Lakers in 7 games
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:18 am    Post subject:

Wowww reeves is such a good player.......

I am telling you today the kid will be a starter in this league. His IQ is way up there. I am super impress by the way he moves the ball around and makes quick decisions... def a keeper.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:

Also, Lebron is not subject to the tampering rules. This has been his game all along. No regular GM could have lined things up with Wade and Bosh. He engineered the Davis trade in a way that no GM could match. And this summer, it was reported that he had a room at his house for interviewing free agent and trade candidates. Lebron has always been very good at exploiting the rules. No GM could ever do that.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:58 am    Post subject:

scout_0 wrote:
Wowww reeves is such a good player.......

I am telling you today the kid will be a starter in this league. His IQ is way up there. I am super impress by the way he moves the ball around and makes quick decisions... def a keeper.

Sure, there could be a circumstance in which he becomes a regular starter. But I see his ceiling as a bench player/spot starter on a good team. Remember that he spent four years in college (plus a transfer year) and that he turns 24 next year. He's close to his physical peak, unlike the typical 19 year old rookie. His growth curve will probably look more like Josh Hart.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

As an aside, the 538 computer model doesn’t like this team much. It projects us at 42-40, ninth in the West. That seems low to me, and I expect almost everyone here to agree. Still, it’s worth remembering that there are reasons to be apprehensive about this season.

Yeah it’s preseason…

But still, we’re anticipating that we’ll be an uptempo team by forcing AD to the 5 (he.obviously.does.not.want.to.play.the.5) and going small with Russ also more of a breaking player instead of a half court set type guy.

We led the preseason in possessions and were 2nd overall in PACE.
https://go.nba.com/6b4b

Unfortunately, we didn’t convert on a high enough clip, so we’re 26th in Ortg. You guys really think with Vogs at the helm our offense will suddenly become more efficient. That’s not his acumen and I’m surprised we didn’t go harder at targets to help with our offense. We pretty much insinuated that Bron/Russ get paid the big bucks, so they’re going to be our OCs as well.

Meanwhile, Dallas was 1st in points per game/1st in Ortg all while being 26th in possessions per game…so highly efficient. And as for their drtg, they were 2nd overall. I guess all that time on the bench as a player, won’t make him such a Dud as an asst coach.

All Kidding aside, there is a reason to worry with Vogs at the helm and a defensive guy like Fitz, 2nd in command. It looks like coach doesn’t get much input in personnel decisions, but you know the majority of blame will fall on him if our offense keeps looking like bull(bleep).

Speaking of which, the Bulls were 1st overall in drtg….but of course, we need to ACknowledge that it’s just preseason.

Incoming Kob death stare by Bron to Vogs in 3…2…
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject:

Any GM that starts a team with Lebron/AD or even Lebron alone has been dealt pocket Aces. You can still play the hand wrong and just win because you have such an advance given the hand you were dealt.

In the case of Rob, he has played the hand wrong more than he has played it right.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7044, 7045, 7046 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 7045 of 8560
Jump to: