OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7890, 7891, 7892 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 3:33 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

The thing I do like about Myles tho is that it’s a great AD investment in that he’s still young and gives AD a defensive stretch 5 allowing dude to play at what he his preferable 4 spot.

Cons of Myles Turner

- Bottom 5 athlete, loses 70% jump balls
- Allergic to the post

Seems like another Andre Drummond, but they got Andre Drummond for FREE.

Those two players are nothing a like lol
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 7:12 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Lakers are clearly straddling the line here and that's how you screw things up.

I think they want to have their cake and eat it.

They want:

1. to have cap space for 2023
2. but still somehow be a contender for 2022-23
3. they don't want to take on deals that would eat into 2023 space
4. but then no one is really worth that cap space (Jokic likely re-signs, and Beal, not my preferred guy and he would have to turn down a lot of $)
5. so we end up basically doing nothing and wasting yet another season.

Have to be decisive. Go all in this season (meaning you likely have to take back deals that go into 2023 to dump Russ) or start dumping everyone for a rebuild (when the Pels have our 2023 pick as a swap).

Rob really fracked up the negotiations with allowing all these swaps (pick swap in 2023, and Pels decide if they want our 2024 or 2025 pick).

This is just my guess, but I think things are a little different than you do:

1. The Lakers plan to compete next year on the foundation of LeBron and AD.

2. The Lakers will try to trade Westbrook. However they won't make a deal just for the sake of making a deal. They'll try to find something that makes sense. If they don't, they will try to make it work with Westbrook.

3. Again, the Lakers will not take on long-term deals only for the sake of getting rid of Westbrook. But they will take on long-term deals if the players they get make sense for the team.

4. I'm not sure that the Lakers have a really defined free agent plan. It seems like the Lakers like to keep their options open.

My guess is their overall attitude is if LeBron and AD are healthy, that provides the potential for a contending team no matter who you put around them. If they're not healthy, it doesn't really matter.

And I freely acknowledge I could be very wrong, because it's anyone's guess what the Lakers are thinking now. And I also don't dismiss the idea that if they have a strategy right now, they might discard it for something new if conditions warranted it.

Whatever the Lakers do, it's going to be a roll the dice. There isn't a right strategy and there isn't a wrong strategy. There's just guesses

I think giving Darvin 4 years is an indication they aren't married to any particular philosophy. They're open to any deals but they aren't going to allow themselves to get bent over in a trade (again) as an act of desperation to maximize Lebron's window. It's not what I would do but they're prepared to ride out this crew for another year and trade AD if necessary next summer. Now if Lebron signs an extension that might be another story.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 7:17 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
Seems like another Andre Drummond, but they got Andre Drummond for FREE.

Quite different though. Drummond did one thing very well: Rebound. He wasn't a great defender. Didn't have a great offensive game. He was a big body who could rebound.

Turner is an elite shot blocker, similar to Drummond's rebounding. He's led the league in blocks twice already in his young career. He and AD together would be intimidating.

He also is a stretch big though. He's a 34.9% career three point shooter, and he's been as good as 38.8%. Last season was his worst shooting season since his rookie year though at 33.3% from three. But in general he's better than Brook Lopez as a stretch big. Has similar deficiencies to Lopez as a rebounder, but is a far better shot blocker.

Turner is not as good as he thinks he is. But he would be a good fit.

Do you give up a future lottery pick for Brook Lopez?
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 8:57 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Do you give up a future lottery pick for Brook Lopez?

Technically they gave up a then recent lottery pick for him (D'Angelo Russell). Though the move was primarily to clear up cap space. Turner is a better player than Lopez was at that point in his career. And he's only 26.

Brook Lopez at that time had seen the league move away from the low post player that he excelled at, and was transitioning into a stretch big. He was 30 years old, and in his one season in L.A. He averaged 4 rebounds per game as the Lakers starting center. And was 30 years old. I think they should have brought him back still, so long as it was on an affordable deal. But at that stage of his career vs. where Turner's at right now in his career, Brook was a far less valuable asset.

If the Laker are going to try to keep this team together and try to win they can't stand pat. They will need to take some risks and Turner is a big that would fit well with AD. And his shot blocking would be a welcome addition if AD goes down again.
logical24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 9:29 am    Post subject:

Im going all in on Brogdon/Turner for Russ/1st

THT/Nunn/2nd for Jerami Grant

LeBron
Brogdon
Grant
AD
Turner

Lets run it!
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject:

Washington seems like a obvious potential trade partner
No PG (we have plenty)
Just worked with them before.
May be looking to shed salary with upcoming Beal Extension

Maybe float THT and Nunn toward them.

Last edited by hydrohead on Sat May 28, 2022 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 9:51 am    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
Milwaukee seems like a obvious potential trade partner
No PG (we have plenty)

Would love a Brook Lopez reunion
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
hydrohead wrote:
Milwaukee seems like a obvious potential trade partner
No PG (we have plenty)

Would love a Brook Lopez reunion

Dammit meant Washington. Edited

Got Milwaukee Ham on my mind
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 10:03 am    Post subject:

logical24 wrote:

LeBron
Brogdon
Grant
AD
Turner

Lets run it!

Not saying it’s impossible but Pritchard is the one who turned in Pelinka for tampering and cost the Lakers a half million bucks. Any trade with Indy would have to be a clear win for them. The trade you proposed is the opposite.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 10:46 am    Post subject:

Hield and Turner for Westbrook would be the ideal trade scenario for the Lakers.

I think the Pacers would value Brogdon as slightly higher than Hield.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 11:00 am    Post subject:

Bobby Portis has a $4.5M player option. Would be nice to steal him from the Bucks with a longterm deal.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 11:03 am    Post subject:

Bobby Portis is that Robert Horry, James Posey type who can be the difference in winning a title.

Defense, clutch shooting, off the bench.

Last edited by JUST-MING on Sat May 28, 2022 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Palin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 11:04 am    Post subject:

logical24 wrote:

LeBron
Brogdon
Grant
AD
Turner

Lets run it!

Lakers need to take on McConnell's contract too then Pacers may listen.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 11:10 am    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:

I think giving Darvin 4 years is an indication they aren't married to any particular philosophy. They're open to any deals but they aren't going to allow themselves to get bent over in a trade (again) as an act of desperation to maximize Lebron's window. It's not what I would do but they're prepared to ride out this crew for another year and trade AD if necessary next summer. Now if Lebron signs an extension that might be another story.

I could see the Lakers doing anything. I don't think they have a plan carved in stone.

I doubt we will find a deal for Westbrook that makes sense, but you never know.

I expect we will ride the Lebron/AD train until/unless the wheels come off it.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 11:16 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Bobby Portis is that Robert Horry, James Posey type who can be the difference in winning a title.

Defense, clutch shooting, off the bench.

And he will get more than a MMLE. Bucks have his early bird rights too IIRC.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 11:19 am    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
Bobby Portis has a $4.5M player option. Would be nice to steal him from the Bucks with a longterm deal.

Portis will not exercise his option. The expectation is he will get a multi-year deal starting at $12 or $13 million.

The only question is whether he will resign with the Bucks or go somewhere else. We won't be in the running for him (and in advance, please we don't need another avalanche of people suggestion we should sign-and-trade Nunn and THT for him. We really, really don't.)
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 11:22 am    Post subject:

The wheels came off after the first round exit. They doubled down and traded for another superstar and missed the playoffs. Usually teams would rebuild at that point, instead of doubling down even further, throwing lottery picks away, but the Lakers are taking an approach as if they are one move away.

They are a Buddy Hield trade away!
They are a Myles Turner trade away!
They are a Jerami Grant trade away!

Of course, it's all non-sense, they're a play-in team, but fans will be fans.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 12:00 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
The wheels came off after the first round exit. They doubled down and traded for another superstar and missed the playoffs. Usually teams would rebuild at that point, instead of doubling down even further, throwing lottery picks away, but the Lakers are taking an approach as if they are one move away.

Buddy Hield + Myles Turner would help them tremendously.

There'd still be holes to fill. But Turner as their defensive center (fitting a defensive 5 role that can stretch the floor) in an addition to a shooter such a Hield would help the team.

Does it make them instant Finals contenders? Nope. But it does improve them tremendously.

The Lakers attaining Hield and Turner in a Westbrook trade, and retaining Malik Monk would be two ideal off-season moves.

Essentially our lineup looks like this then

PG: Austin Reaves
SG: Buddy Hield or Malik Monk
SF: LeBron James
PF: Anthony Davis
C: Myles Turner

Bench:
Hield or Monk
THT

Championship contender? Only if LeBron and AD are healthy. Perfect roster? No, not at all. But what it does do, is give us a defensive 5 that can be paired with Davis and allow Davis to play the 4 full time, and it gives us a 5 that can stretch the floor from three which is beneficial to opening up the lanes. And it gives us three shooters in our starting lineup to pair with James and Davis. It's a formula that has worked before for us. The only thing missing is perimeter defense from the wing, but that is all dependent on what Reaves turns into, or what the Lakers would get additionally in free agency.

Doesn't save everything, but it fills a lot of things the Lakers need.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 12:46 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:

Westbrook is not a superstar
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Portis would be a great add. Stretch 5. I had him on fantasy last year and he was putting some huge rebound games.

Lakers might have to give OKC or Orlando a call to try and free up cap space via a Russ trade.

BTW Portis is still ONLY 26. Awesome fit on the Lakers and brings a nice level of toughness in the post.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Dennis100mtrash wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

That's not the point. Ming's right about this from a fan perspective. I don't know that the Laker front office is actually thinking this way, but a lot of people on this board seem to be.

Broadly speaking, the front office can choose one of two paths. They can keep trying to extend the Lebron window and hope to win another title now. Or they can accept that the window is likely closed and begin transitioning to the next phase. There are a lot of variations and scenarios within those paths, but this is the fundamental choice. I think they'll take the first path, but we shall see.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Dennis100mtrash wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

That's not the point. Ming's right about this from a fan perspective. I don't know that the Laker front office is actually thinking this way, but a lot of people on this board seem to be.

Broadly speaking, the front office can choose one of two paths. They can keep trying to extend the Lebron window and hope to win another title now. Or they can accept that the window is likely closed and begin transitioning to the next phase. There are a lot of variations and scenarios within those paths, but this is the fundamental choice. I think they'll take the first path, but we shall see.

To me, it seems unlikely that the Lakers would immediately transition to the next phrase.

I think they will start the season looking to contend with Lebron, AD, and Westbrook (assuming he's not traded). People will debate whether that's right choice, but I'd be shocked if the Lakers go another way between now and the start of the season.

The question is what happens if the team looks like a train wreck after 20 or 30 games.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 1:12 pm    Post subject:

logical24 wrote:

LeBron
Brogdon
Grant
AD
Turner

Lets run it!

I am always puzzled why some screen names post the same trade suggestions over and over, as if they can make it come true by repetition.

We heard you the first dozen times you said it, no reason to say it again
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 1:16 pm    Post subject:

THT/Nunn and a 2nd for Grant......Click
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Hearing Zach LaVine might go to Dallas
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7890, 7891, 7892 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 7891 of 8560
Jump to: